• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

Mihos

Gold Member
City size and the whole "agent" thing with the fudged population numbers will still keep me away. There are just too many other, more fun options for this genre itch when it comes up.

The micro transaction stuff is just gross also.

Hasney

It's incorrect because "you don't know what you're talking about" is a stupid point. People said "but it could be patched to play offline. There's nothing in the engine stopping it" (double so when people went through the data files!) Arthur threw a shit-fit and whiteknighted EA by going "NO U U DNT NO WUT UR TALKING BOUT!"

WRONG as this news post indicates.

People versus EA - 1
Arthur - 0. Doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not only that, but the server calls were analysed within the first week. By the time of that tweet, we already knew the servers were barely needed.

pWXjG0L.png

Koomaster

Small cities that limit longevity, crap simulation, having to run multiple cities to get access to most stuff, etc. Don't bother really. It's a crappy game. The always online was just icing on the shit cake.
All true. However the game going offline means that modders can finally take a crack at fixing everything wrong with the game that Maxis refuses to fix or just can't fix. I'm actually excited over this news because of that reason.

There is actually a promising game there; but Maxis can't fix what they've done. Their priority has always been to keep adding dlc content to make money and giving lip service updates which have yet to fix the underlying problems. I have faith in the modding community more than Maxis.

Not really what it looks like to me. I guess it could be interpreted that way. But it's true, we didn't actually know if it could be patched or not until it actually happened. (Actually we knew when someone made a hack for it but that's a different story)

I am kind of curious to know what work went into patching this in.

It was hacked to be offline weeks after the game came out. So it was always possible.

If 2013 taught us anything it was that always online is never as required, or necessary, or as difficult to remove as people in high places want us to believe. Sim City and Xbox One say hello.

I got the game a few months ago in a sale, It was definitely worth it. It generally feels much more micro than SC4, which I think I prefer. It's probably a bit more casual oriented though, and apparently that's a bad thing to some people. Bitching about the map size is pointless, I think it's actually big enough, especially when you start to control entire regions instead of just cities, you can easily get 8-10 hours construction out of an individual tile, probably another 5-6 hours optimisation to try to maximise population/output.

Oh, and the expansion is really good too.

FranXico

They may fix this one fundamental flaw (one which happens to make the game nigh unplayable), but the fact is that this "new" SimCity is but a poor reflection of its former self.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Valnen

It's incorrect because "you don't know what you're talking about" is a stupid point. People said "but it could be patched to play offline. There's nothing in the engine stopping it" (double so when people went through the data files!) Arthur threw a shit-fit and whiteknighted EA by going "NO U U DNT NO WUT UR TALKING BOUT!"

WRONG as this news post indicates.

People versus EA - 1
Arthur - 0. Doesn't know what he's talking about.

Well unless people work for Maxis they don't really know what can or can't be patched so it's not entirely wrong to say people don't know what they're talking about. It would be wrong to specifically say "this specific issue can't be patched" because that would imply that the person saying that knows what they're talking about, when they're equally in the dark as anyone else not working for Maxis.

Xater

Ahahahahaha.

Polygon reported it, but nothing from Gies yet.

And you will not hear anything from him because that's what he does.

It's nice that they are finally adding the offline mode, but the cities are still too small to make this game interesting.

Well unless people work for Maxis they don't really know what can or can't be patched so it's not entirely wrong to say people don't know what they're talking about. It would be wrong to specifically say "this specific issue can't be patched" because that would imply that the person saying it knows what they're talking about, when they're equally in the dark as anyone else not working for Maxis.

We already knew it could be done because of common sense and there was a mod that also made ti possible.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh, wow. Still embarrassing to see in comparison.

EA, you monsters, what did you do to my Simcity?

I do recommend Cities XL as a capable replacement though. It does some things even better than SC4.

EA had very little to do with Maxis' vision for this reboot of Simcity.

To be fair, he's right. He's not saying that it cant be patched in, just that nobody outside of people working on the game would know whether its possible or not.

Except for the fact that, ya know, hackers/enthusiasts had the game running offline within the first week. They just disabled the call to the server and it still worked fine.

Haunted

Alright guys, Arthur made his play for that community manager position and he failed, there's no need to rub it in...

Ashitaka

First, too little too late to get my money EA. There's more wrong with this game than just the online-only as ably demonstrated by other posters in this thread.

Second, really glad to see Banished mentioned in this thread. I've been looking forward to it since I first saw it on RPS, now if I could just sleep for a month I'd be good to go.

Madness

You know, if they only had the foresight to think an offline mode could be good and is what the players always wanted, they could have avoided a ton of the shit storm and problems they created for themselves.

To be fair, he's right. He's not saying that it cant be patched in, just that nobody outside of people working on the game would know whether its possible or not.
No, he isn't, because those with technical knowledge determined that it was possible. People delve into these games and technical specs and code are what they are.

Valnen

I hate how many times this tweet has been posted out of context and people think it was something recent every time. I've seen it in more than a few threads that had nothing to do with the original context behind it and people think it's new every time.

ZeroX03

Banned
He will, no doubt blame the customers.

Someone quoted the tweet and linked to it in the comments a couple of minutes ago when I posted it up, it's since been deleted.

I just realized that thanks to this I've been visiting Polygon, and it makes me feel dirty. Gies still wins.

Well unless people work for Maxis they don't really know what can or can't be patched so it's not entirely wrong to say people don't know what they're talking about. It would be wrong to specifically say "this specific issue can't be patched" because that would imply that the person saying that knows what they're talking about, when they're equally in the dark as anyone else not working for Maxis.

You're starting to sound like Arthur Gies. Denying what is right in front of your face.

Hackers hacked the game to be offline a week or two after it's launch! How much more obvious does this need to get for you?

The game could always have been offline, but Gies was saying that wasn't possible. He was 100% wrong.

inky

I hate how many times this tweet has been posted out of context and people think it was something recent every time. I've seen it in more than a few threads that had nothing to do with the original context behind it and people think it's new every time.

Huh, what makes you think I don't know the context for this tweet? Especially after I went to the GAF thread where it was posted originally looking for it. LOL

It was a tongue in cheek response to the particular comment, which you might've noticed if you didn't have a stick up your ass.

FranXico

...And this still says a lot about Gies, doesn't it?

Pociask

1) Create a terrible, franchise-destroying online-only game
2) Ride wave of initial sales based on franchise hype
3) Watch the game's reputation get destroyed as you're incapable of fixing fundamental flaws in the game
4) Months later, patch in offline mode
5) See no sales bump
6) Refuse to ever release offline games again. Cite SimCity. "See! We gave you what you said you wanted, and no one bought it!")

LuchaShaq

Banned
1) Create a terrible, franchise-destroying online-only game
2) Ride wave of initial sales based on franchise hype
3) Watch the game's reputation get destroyed as you're incapable of fixing fundamental flaws in the game
4) Months later, patch in offline mode
5) See no sales bump
6) Refuse to ever release offline games again. Cite SimCity. "See! We gave you what you said you wanted, and no one bought it!")

Its easy don't ever buy ea games every single release of theirs in 2013 was majorly fucked in multiple ways.

Top Bottom