• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinclair–Owned TV Station Uses Photo of Black Lives Matter Leader in Unrelated Crime

KSweeley

Sinclair-owned TV station claims a mistake was made for posting a picture of a Black Lives Matter leader making the insinuation that he was a bank robber suspect in a state thousands miles away from Maryland:

k4l8cz8qybuevnecuhw6.jpg

Screenshot of @KBOITV via @Yashar

A local TV news station owned by the right–wing Sinclair Broadcast Group shared a photo on social media of civil rights activist DeRay Mckesson along with an unrelated crime story about a bungled bank robbery that occurred thousands of miles away.

KBOI 2 News in Boise, ID, apologized Friday night for circulating the photo of Mckesson, a Black Lives Matter leader who serves as the director of human resources for Baltimore’s public school system (a position he’s leaving at the end of this month).

“We messed up. We mistakenly tweeted a photo of @deray with an unrelated story link about a bank robbery. We at KBOI are very sorry,” the news station tweeted later.

The story, “Would-be robber arrives early at banks to find doors locked,” was put out by the Associated Press and actually occurred in Iowa, not Idaho, neither of which is near Maryland.

Mckesson responded by saying, “I haven’t been anywhere near a bank robbery. FYI.”

8nYdKk5.jpg

Sinclair Broadcast Group is a vile media company. After striking a nearly $4 billion deal with Tribune Media, it will become the largest owner of television stations across the U.S., Politico reported. The company’s vice president and director, Frederick G. Smith, recently donated $1,000 to Montana Republican Rep. Greg Gianforte’s campaign the day after Gianforte body slammed Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs for asking questions.

Worse than that, however, is Sinclair’s penchant for producing bigoted, fake, right–wing news and commentary targeting the black and Latinx communities, and especially Muslims, and then requiring its affiliated local TV news stations to broadcast the “must–run” segments.

Shauni

Vile company indeed, sad and scary they have that much airtime now. Good that TV, in general, is on the downturn at least, but still too much concentrated power for one company

Shauni

Disgusting. Can he sue for defamation?

He probably could, but it would end up dragging out in court forever with a lot of 'it was a careless mistake' ending with a settlement that wouldn't be worth the expenses in the end.

If I were to guess anyway

Giolon

I hate this kind of shit. Knowingly using an unrelated person's image as illustration of a crime should be enforceably illegal.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This has been the right's playbook for a while now. Buy up all the newspapers, news channels, etc. and control the narrative. It's been a depressing process to watch.

Shauni

This has been the right's playbook for a while now. Buy up all the newspapers, news channels, etc. and control the narrative. It's been a depressing process to watch.

In fairness, Tribune was already a conservative network that dabbled in this stuff, though not as blatantly, so the needle here hasn't moved that much in the grand scheme of things. Most of the major papers are actually pretty spli, too, I think. The biggest right-wing owned one is WSJ, but I've heard that Murdoch stays pretty hands-off the main stuff and most of his influence is in the editorials (which is obvious). It's his prestige project, I guess.

Didn't know my local station was owned by Sinclair until I randomly saw a clip in low quality on the channel with some guy angry about the Jon Oliver report and defending the terrorism watch while over exaggerating how often terrorist attacks happen in America.

Not

Banned
They are actively targeting him. This is like the NRA lying about things he did to rile their base. He has them shook (just for fighting for the right to not be killed if you have dark skin, JESUS we have a long way to go), but this is some bullshit.

Top Bottom