• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singers compared by vocal range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoying the Metal love in this thread.

Michael Kiske of Helloween fame would be interesting to see on this list. I've heard higher voices, but he has an impressive low register as far as the style goes.

That's inaccurate for Mariah, at least. There is no F2 in Sweetheart, and she's never gone that low live. She has hit a solid-for-a-soprano G#2 in an interview, and slid down to a very brief F#2 once live, though. And she never hits a G7 in the studio version of Emotions; it "only" goes to E7. But she has hit up to a staccato Bb7 in live performances.
Is that VMA performance of Emotions one of those fandom truisms?

What do you mean by connected? Layman's terms please.

It describes how well a singer is supporting their voice with things like breath control and mouth shape. To be "well connected" means all of the mechanisms of singing are working optimally, producing a full resonant sound. Singing too high or low for your range, or singing with bad technique will hinder the connection, making a voice sound strained or thin.

jay

Ever heard of Kyo from Dir en grey, by the way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_JCPh-J5sU

I don't understand how he does some of the things he does with his voice

That's not bad, but a little too nu-metal for me. Which, interestingly enough, you can blame Mike Patton for. He will deny it.

Also, from Wikipedia's page on Dir En Grey - "Kyo's singing is considered a pivotal aspect of the band, and he has gained recognition for his distinctive vocal work and for his large range and versatility, being able to "howl, croon, emote cleanly, scream, shriek, growl, bellow, and make nearly inhuman sounds",[8] and he has been compared favorably to singer and avant garde metal musician Mike Patton."

What do you think about Dani from Cradle of Filth? I like that band

Some low notes

Some high notes

Still mad at him for intentionally causing huge amounts of mic feedback by screeching too much when they opened for... fuck, who did they open for? Probably some Swedish death metal band, if I was there.

Looks like Mariah Carey and Axl Rose is S tier. I'm more surprised that Eminem has a bigger vocal range than a lot of contemporary singers

Mumei

It describes how well a singer is supporting their voice with things like breath control and mouth shape. To be "well connected" means all of the mechanisms of singing are working optimally, producing a full resonant sound. Singing too high or low for your range, or singing with bad technique will hinder the connection, making a voice sound strained or thin.

Right. In discussions about singing, "connected" also refers more specifically to singing that takes place in the modal register. For instance, Mariah's connected range is ~F#2 - D6; anything above that, at least that we've seen, has been falsetto or whistle, which are not connected registers. It's possible to sing from the bottom of your range to the top of your head voice in a single breath (or down) without taking a breath or having any breaks in your voice; that's not possible in falsetto or whistle (or fry).

Whitney Houston is a perfect example of a pop singer with connection and support across her entire range.

Jeff-DSA

Figured that Katy Perry would be low on the rankings. She's terrible. They just have her sing loud and then they auto tune the crap out of it. So aggravating.

malfcn

I had no idea what connected meant, thanks for some of the explanations. Still not entirely sure what it means, other than just making the sound doesn't count.

Surprised that Rose has the range. Not surprising Katy Perry is so narrow. Every song I've heard pretty much sounds exactly the same range wise. Same tone with some filter on it. And always knew Mariah was the queen of highs, didn't she used to break glasses and open garage doors with the pitch?

Aesius

I wish they had included Layne Staley.

He had a crazy range, definitely up there with Chris Cornell.

Tarkus

Why isn't Chris Cornell on this list? B1-C6 plus he's got all the chops and been in multiple bands with a shitload of hits, wtf

malfcn

First time I heard It's So Easy by GNR I thought there was a guest singer with the band.

Funny. I looked up one of my favorite singers, Corey from Slipknot and they linked a video of that song with him guesting. Here.
They said he is D1-C7, what's that mean? From the Range Place.

royalan

I had no idea what connected meant, thanks for some of the explanations. Still not entirely sure what it means, other than just making the sound doesn't count.

Surprised that Rose has the range. Not surprising Katy Perry is so narrow. Every song I've heard pretty much sounds exactly the same range wise. Same tone with some filter on it. And always knew Mariah was the queen of highs, didn't she used to break glasses and open garage doors with the pitch?

The easiest way to think of connected voice is this: think of the range of your natural speaking voice. Where your naturally "sits" and feels the most effortless as far as just talking.

Now let's stretch the idea. Think about your speaking voice, and how low you can speak before your voice fades out, and how high you can speak in your natural tone before your voice "cracks." Think of the range you have between these two extremes. This is an overly simplistic way to describe the concept, but this is basically what is being referred to when talking about a singer's connected range. The range of notes that a singer can produce from that same "place" similar to where your speaking (modal) voice is produced.

The video Mumei linked to of Whitney's vocal range is a good example. Even though it' comprised of separate clips of Whitney singing, you can clearly hear that the notes she's singing are all coming from the same place.

Kieli

That Devin Townsend video has my mind full of fuck. It's like the extreme opposite spectrum in terms of music. I really dig the songs featured in the beginning of the video, and then the scream-stuff is like :lolwut.

Are they even the same person?

To everybody being like "Where's __________?" It's just a sampling of certain popular singers to make interesting reference points, guys. This ain't no 'definitive all-time top 50' or whatever list to get your panties in a bunch over.

breakfuss

To everybody being like "Where's __________?" It's just a sampling of certain popular singers to make interesting reference points, guys. This ain't no 'definitive all-time top 50' or whatever list to get your panties in a bunch over.

lol, sorry dad :(

I'm just saying...when I think of range, certain people pop into mind. Chaka Khan..Robert Plant...

I see posts like these a lot.

Is this sarcasm, or am I missing something?
People compare her to Mariah because she can produce some air that somewhat resembles a third octave note and squeak out a flat whistle.

But they forget that Mariah didn't just halfway reach those notes. She sang them.

Mumei

Did my explanation not clarify? Maybe this will help:

This is a simplified animation of the what your vocal folds do in the modal voice during the glottal cycle:

Vocal_fold_animated.gif

In other words, the musculus vocalis (the red part) moves during this part. This is the part of your range that you use when you are speaking in your normal voice. You can also look on Youtube for a video of what they look like from above with a laryngoscopic camera. Falsetto looks like this:

Vocal_fold_falsett_animated.gif

Only the ligaments move; the rest of the vocal fold is not involved in the production of falsetto. Roy's explanation is basically right; the "connected" range is that "speaking voice" range extended to its extremes, without going into falsetto. This is one of my favorite examples of someone demonstrating a connected range; Maria Callas singing a chromatic scale from the bottom of the soprano range to just above the standard soprano range, and back down again.

And I don't think of it as a way of just making it so that the sound doesn't count, though I suppose it has that effect. I think of it as a way of contextualizing the notes, otherwise you're acting as if singers who have to scream and yell their way to the top half of notes have the same range as someone like Mariah. James Brown is a great example. He has an enormous range if you go by "the notes he has hit," but about two octaves of it consists solely of screams and shrieks. His supported, connected range is closer to B2 - F5.

And always knew Mariah was the queen of highs, didn't she used to break glasses and open garage doors with the pitch?

Well, she gave a Japanese woman musicogenic epileptic seizures, and helps goats produce more milk. She's truly capricious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom