• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singers compared by vocal range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vocal_fold_animated.gif

Vocal_fold_falsett_animated.gif

I have the weirdest boner.

sqwarlock

Say what you will about his voice, but James LaBrie should be on that list. Hell, a lot of "harder" vocalists should be on that list.

In fact, the site that put together this chart has him D2-Bb5. That should place him around Buckley and Springsteen.

Lowmelody

Haha poor LaBrie. I can't even say he is an acquired taste as I still have to mentally isolate the music from his vocals to this day. However the rest of the band makes it worth it.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, if we're talking about Vocal Range everyone should mention Mike Patton.

The things he does with his voice is absolutely amazing, very gifted.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
That's inaccurate for Mariah, at least. There is no F2 in Sweetheart, and she's never gone that low live. She has hit a solid-for-a-soprano G#2 in an interview, and slid down to a very brief F#2 once live, though. And she never hits a G7 in the studio version of Emotions; it "only" goes to E7. But she has hit up to a staccato Bb7 in live performances.

How do you know this? D:

jPmxM4C.gif

NinjaBoiX

Hang on, this isn't a Björk thread?

Björk - Pagan Poetry
NSFW, Björk bewbs

Just listen to that track and try and tell me that lady hasn't got amazing range. And not just in terms of pitch, inflection too. She imbues so much emotion in her singing, she really wears her heart on her sleeve.

Love Björk man, I think she's one of those artists that will be remembered long after she's gone, so uniquely gifted and such a delightfully unusual individual.

meh, non-modal ranges, trash chart.

Axl's modal is like A1 - A5.

edit: Kiske is C2 - A5.

Halford is C2 - B5.

Roy Khan. great singer, not the biggest range: Eb2 - F#5.

Kakko is B1 - G#5.

biggest active male modal range i'm aware of is Reverence's Todd Michael Hall: Bb1 - C6.

It's too bad people like Michael Buble and Josh Groban aren't on there. I really would have liked to have seen at least how one of them would compare.

Also missing:
-Andrea Bocceli
-Pavaroti
-Sarah Brightman
-Celine Dion

It's too bad people like Michael Buble and Josh Groban aren't on there. I really would have liked to have seen at least how one of them would compare.

Buble is around Eb2 - A4 i think. he might have some thin falsetto notes in the 5th octave. no idea who Groban is.

I wonder what this guy's vocal range is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFNT4vPnHNU

Vitas goes into the lower 6th octave (Eb6 or E6 tops) but it's all falsetto from the lower 5th octave on.

That Devin Townsend video has my mind full of fuck. It's like the extreme opposite spectrum in terms of music. I really dig the songs featured in the beginning of the video, and then the scream-stuff is like :lolwut.

Are they even the same person?

I love Hevy Devy but his growl stuff sucks. It just doesn't fit his music (except SYL). End old man rant.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wasn't really a longtime fan of his. got introduced to him 2 years ago by a friend...and holy shit. It saddens me that he isn't more famous.

First metal festival I ever attended, front and center of Strapping Young Lad on recommendation of my brother. Had never heard of them before.

Shit was unbelievable. Opening with Devour, I was sold for life right then and there.

First metal festival I ever attended, front and center of Strapping Young Lad on recommendation of my brother. Had never heard of them before.

Shit was unbelievable. Opening with Devour, I was sold for life right then and there.

There's that one Download Festival show on youtube where sings the whole SYL show with a HUGE glob of snot in his hair. Pretty hilarious and gross.

Mumei

Here's Mike Patton, for anyone who doesn't know who he is:
Mike Patton with the Dillinger Escape Plan -- Hollywood Squares

He's a very powerful and diverse singer, but I doubt his vocal range is all that big.

It depends on what you want to count. If you count everything he does, no matter how unmusical or questionably produced, it's quite large. If you're more stringent, it's pretty normal, I think.

meh, non-modal ranges, trash chart.

Axl's modal is like A1 - A5.

edit: Kiske is C2 - A5.

Halford is C2 - B5.

Roy Khan. great singer, not the biggest range: Eb2 - F#5.

Kakko is B1 - G#5.

biggest active male modal range i'm aware of is Reverence's Todd Michael Hall: Bb1 - C6.

Axl's good modal range is not A1 - A5, though.

And yes, I remember you linked me to this once upon a time. Quite impressive. There are a few women in popular music near the four octave mark with connected head voice, but I can't think of any who quite make it.

Vocal range really isn't the full picture though. For example, Paul McCartney has a wider vocal range than Freddie Mercury and Elvis, but Freddie's and Elvis' voices are much more powerful and more enjoyable to listen to, at least in my opinion.

Interesting nonetheless.

Jimbbob

Neo Member
As an assuredly significant minority here.....there's some amazing voices in Christian/Southern Gospel. While not in the range of some of the heavy rockers, David Phelps has the purest high range of anyone I've heard. He was featured by the Gaither Vocal Band, and this performance of O Holy Night is the best I've heard anywhere. There's no cheating/headvoice in his upper range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nvMKc48ams

On the other end of the spectrum is George Younce, or any number of "basses" in Southern Gospel. George sang with the Cathedrals for over 40 years. Check out the 2:00 mark and again at 3:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al70wONAjA4

As an assuredly significant minority here.....there's some amazing voices in Christian/Southern Gospel. While not in the range of some of the heavy rockers, David Phelps has the purest high range of anyone I've heard. He was featured by the Gaither Vocal Band, and this performance of O Holy Night is the best I've heard anywhere. There's no cheating/headvoice in his upper range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nvMKc48ams

On the other end of the spectrum is George Younce, or any number of "basses" in Southern Gospel. George sang with the Cathedrals for over 40 years. Check out the 2:00 mark and again at 3:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al70wONAjA4

Johnny Cook is my personal favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_kMPVeuOOM

And yes, I remember you linked me to this once upon a time. Quite impressive. There are a few women in popular music near the four octave mark with connected head voice, but I can't think of any who quite make it.

i forgot to share it at time, but he also does stunning multi-layered gospel singing. just brilliant stuff. by the same guy singing about barbarians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3MzQFImLCc

look at how warm and inviting his lower range is. amazing.

Axl's lowest is in "There Was a Time?" Damn, I love that song.

But yeah, the list could benefit from a little Mike Patton.

There are songs where axl hits pretty low notes but he never really sings a full song that way, it's more used for background vocals. One example would be the song "You Ain't The First" on Use Your Illusion I there is a part where he says "deep down inside" very low.

His actual speaking voice is lower than most people would think since they associate him with High singing

This. Don't really care if they can utter a low growl or scream a super high note without control or support. Mercury blows Rose away in terms of usable range.

Also, where is Lambert? Destroys most of those voices.

That's all I wanted out of this thread, just to make sure that someone mentioned Freddie Mercury.

Vocal range really isn't the full picture though. For example, Paul McCartney has a higher vocal range than Freddie Mercury and Elvis, but Freddie's and Elvis' voices are much more powerful and more enjoyable to listen to, at least in my opinion.

Interesting nonetheless.

Huh? You need to listen to "Under Pressure" again, Freddie hits notes only 20% of humans and most dogs can hear. And Paul has a very pleasant voice, even though you're right that Freddie's is better.

The fact that Karen Carpenter is at the bottom of the list shows that vocal range is absolutely no indication of musical talent or vocal quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom