• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single player gamers, is there a theoretical multiplayer game that could pique your interest?

How open are you (single player gamers) to future multiplayer games?

• I can't envision a universe where I'm hooked on any type of multiplayer.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • It's possible, but the games would need to play a lot differently than they do today.

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • I keep tabs on upcoming multiplayer games because I'm interested where multiplayer is headed.

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's been a bunch of multiplayer game announcements/leaks/rumors recently on NeoGAF and the reception to these announcements is rather cold here.

I was curious if single player gamers could envision a multiplayer game that might interest them down the road, and if so, what would it look like?

I theorize that a percentage of single player gamers are off put by what I classify as "hot" multiplayer where the pace is intense and the interactions are strictly adversarial between players. The game that inspired this thread was Palia (trailer below) by ex Blizzard + Riot devs which has decidedly cooler player interaction. It looks to be inspired by Animal Crossing with better multiplayer integration.

Is it possible your heart warms up to more social gaming or is your heart black with frost?

Last edited:
I guess anything is theoretically possible, just as it's theoretically possible that I'd fall in love with a man?

But it hadn't happened in 38 years so I doubt it. Same with multi-player games. I've never in my life had an experience where I've tried it and enjoyed it, and there is nothing about the concept that is appealing to me.

Local multi-player works, like playing Mario Kart, Golden Axe or It takes Two with my girlfriend but that's as far as I'll go. Online? Strangers?

Gross. It just ruins everything I like about gaming, like pouring ketchup on pancakes or something, it just doesn't make sense to me personally.

For example, I love the Souls games and Bloodborne, but I always play offline. Just seeing traces of other players makes me annoyed and I wanna turn the game off. It would be like sitting on the bathroom with the door open in public, I just want to be left alone.

If that makes any sense... 🙄

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
The only multiplayer games I got into were overwatch and I got bored very fast of it. I have no idea what is the appealing feature of playing the same thing over and over. Skins and stats don’t keep me engaged.

oh wait, does bloodbourne count? It was nice helping other people!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Wouldn’t mind multi player where we work together as opposed to against. I’m not good enough for PvP my reaction times are next to useless for that.

That Back4Blood sounds interesting in that aspect.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the only multiplayer i like are the hybrids ones like dark souls.
i dont really like multiplayer focused game as it relies on internet connection which is an issue for me.

Reindeer

COD, Battlefield, PES and fighting games online scratch my itch. Occasionally I'll play a bit of CS too.

Last edited:
original SW Galaxies was one of my favorite games of all time. Beyond Good and Evil 2 has potential to recapture that and more

NeoLed

I like Assassin's Creed Multiplayer a lot. It's slow pace multiplayer that can played perfectly as a solo player without "teammates" hinder you down. Sad that it died out

mxbison

Maybe World of Warcraft 2 or something similar in VR.

Running around on a map and shooting people really doesn't do it for me anymore. I also want to deep dive into a new fighting game but nothing there right now that really interests me.

lachesis

Only multiplayer that I really enjoyed was Star Craft on local LAN with my friends, as well as Golden Eye on N64.
Yes, having friends at 4+ player multi was fun. It's not just the game, but all the stuff you do in between sessions/matches - like grabbing a bite together, chatting up and all, face to face.

It's little hard for 2 players though - because my friends would have to "wait" for their turn to go up against to each other. Local 4 players is actually really something that I miss in a lot of games these days.

laynelane

I enjoy coop in games, but the closest I've got to multiplayer games is Souls. I play games for story, lore, characters among other reasons and I've found having other people there, even in coop, can detract from immersion. Plus, gaming is for relaxing and dealing with other people online is often the opposite of that.

Last edited:

Monokrom

The only multiplayer game I play is Diablo 3 on PS5. I've played lots of WoW but that's many years ago.

Melchiah

There's already one which pretty much plays like single player game, namely Let It Die. It's a Roguelite/Souls-like with a unique asynchronous multiplayer, where you fight other players' AI controlled fighters. They can send Hunters against you, try to raid your base, and you fight one of their dead fighters (which are called Haters) on every floor, along with regular enemies, Screamers and Tubers. Early on, it's feels like every Hater encounter can be like a boss battle. On the higher floors all enemies are Haters. The higher you go, the more formidable they are.

One of the most addictive and enjoyable portions of the game is improving and optimizing your base's defenses, and trying to counter all possible attack strategies; headshot damage, poison that incapacitates defenders, fire that demolishes armor, and the other damage types (slash, blunt, pierce, electric). Nothing feels more satisfying than to see someone failing to raid your base, or not even getting past the first line of defense.

As I am getting older I am starting to loose interest in most fast-responsive competetive games.

I still kinda like games like Arma, Squad, DayZ, SCUM and stuff.
And I hope theres going to be an MMORPG that I can enjoy like it did with Ultima Online RPG Freeshards back in the day. This was like the best shit I ever played.

I do like multiyplayer survival games with basebuilding, pve and even pvp. But it needs good balancing and offer safe spaces. I'm not a fan of offline baseraiding and so on.

Basically I would be interested in MP games but it needs to be done right.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I only play multiplayer games like COD and Apex because it keeps me in contact with old friends. Other than that there's nothing in my lifetime that will make me more interested in multiplayer games. Coop, including splitscreen gaming with my 6 year old, is more my kind of thing though.

Altares13th

Only multiplayer I enjoyed was Quake 3 Arena for about 2 months. Then maybe Unreal Tournament 2003 a little bit - Always DM, the rest I hated. After that I didn't care anymore. Nowadays, I never ever start a multiplayer match in AAA games, it's pointless to me (I tried many back in PS3 era, including Uncharted).
In VR, I play some Beat Saber online and I enjoy it. I know I will get bored of it soon enough though.
I strongly think that multiplayer is a different experience that should be 100% separated from story based games. They are different beasts, just like Bloodborne is different from Angry Birds.

ZywyPL

Banned
As I am getting older I am starting to loose interest in most fast-responsive competetive games.

Same here. I started to prefer co-op mode instead of competitive MP in the past few years. You can just jump in anytime with your friends and have a total blast, as oppose to all those MP GAAS games where you have to be constantly up-to-date with all the patches, add-ons etc. or else you have no idea what's going on, what is buffed, what is nerfed, what's new, or you miss the timed events and you're behind everyone else with no chance to catch up. Like in yesterday's Fortnive vs Halo thread, modern online games try to literally enslave you, and my approach is that video games are for me, not the other way around. Not to mention having to constantly play the games to be actually good, because getting into a game just every once in a while means you'll get your ass whipped out, which is obviously not fun, and I'm not a kid/student anymore who has 8-10h free time everyday plus whole weekends, gone are the times where I could put 500-2000h in just a single title.

sublimit

Banned
The only reason i'm paying for PS+ is for to be able to co-op and PvP SoulsBorne games. They are the only games with online components that i'm still finding appealing.I'm not playing them very often but i need the online option to be there for whenever i'm in the mood to play with a friend or for PvP.

I also used to be very competitive with Tekken in the PS3 days but lately i've lost interest with T7 and with all the gimmicky shit they had put in that game.

So yeah basically Sony needs to thank From Software for my PS+ subscription.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I dont't like PVP in general, but coop is ok. I do play PVE MMORPG (FFXIV currently), i tried Destiny which was OK... I need strong story/lore, good gameplay and mostly coop/PVE.

Relativ9

Something like a Elder Scrolls game meets Army of Two where the entire story and every quest is structured around two people participating and if you chose to play singleplayer the other character becomes an AI controlled constant companion, but if you play coop it's your coop partner. Would be fantastic for me and the wife.

T-Cake

I won't entertain PvP at all but PvE is OK. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was the best thing ever and I was hooked on it for a good two years. I've never really found anything to fill that void now. I wouldn't even know what games were purely PvE co-op these days.

I like PvE stuff like Killing Floor and Division. I just don’t have enough interest or skill to become competitive in PvP. Battlefield is one exception as the team isn’t that reliant on my individual performance.

NeonDelta

Not for me although I did enjoy a stint of rocket league recently I just prefer single player games where I only need to worry about myself.

FunkMiller

A game I exclusively play with mates? Yes.

A game I have to play with socially awkward teenage boys in Minnesota who have never seen boobies? Not so much.

Merkades

I guess I fit perfectly into this topic. I play solo for all games and have for the last 10ish years, zero multiplayer. But... I actually love old school hard MMOS like EverQuest, and have 10 years playing them. The last 10 ish years have not seen much that I like released, so I play solo. I will probably stay that way until Pantheon comes out and then I will see if that hooks me.

I have no real interest in any other form of multiplayer though. I have well over a thousand hours in the Borderlands series, a hundred in Outriders, played a lot of FPS games, including various CODs, all solo.

Oh yeah, when I play MMOS, I solo a lot, but I do group and eventually join a guild that primarily focuses on raiding. I dig the whole fight Dragons and Gods thing. Never used voice chat though, I might have to next time I play one.

balt1kr1s

I used to play multiplayer games most of my gaming life but once me and my mates/friends walked into reality of “adult life”, almost everyone just decided to move on to single player games.
Also, we grew up as PC gamers but literally all of us moved to consoles for the convenience.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Every few months or years when i cycle back to a vanilla wow private server i say i would really like the next similar mmo to drop. Like The Old Republic but with staying power.

Rolla

Banned
Despite the rocky launch, Battlefield 4 was a sublime multi experience. Played it from launch to late 2017 / early 18 when the hackers became a thing.

Fuz

Banned
I'm not competitive anymore and I can't be bothered to farm anymore. That time is gone.
So, any game designed to "punish" me goes straight in the trash*. Which means most online games, for how they're designed.

*Clarification with an example. I've NG+++ all the Souls games. That's not what I mean with "punish".

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i like to take my time and play at my own pace, multiplayer games force you to always move and engage the enemies at all time which is the opposite of what i want.
even when i was younger i usually would play a support/medic class because i was more interested in keeping my team alive than to get kills and do the objective.

sephiroth7x

I don't mind local multiplayer and I don't mind multiplayer online with someone I know in a two player campaign or something like that.

Online multiplayer on the whole is just too random for any form of entertainment for me. I don't find any interest in FPS shooters that focus just on kills as they bore me. Multiplayer online is tied too much into scoreboards and who has the most of this/that/other and that just bores me to tears. Unless anything drastically changes I can't ever see me moving into online gaming more than what I have mentioned above.

skit_data

I used to play a lot of Counter-Strike, DOTA 2, CoD:MW and BF.

Now the only online games I play are the Souls-series. Got tired of the lobby shittalking by randoms, now they can’t talk and we can just kill/help each other in peace.

OrionNebula

I’ve never played any multiplayer game in my life (aside from Journey, can you believe that? 😆), but back when TLOU2 was announced, I told myself I’d try that Faction multiplayer to see what’s a multiplayer feels like (I wouldn’t even know where to start)

What can I say, I’m only really interested in story-driven single player games

Yumi

Party based action RPG’s are where I’ve always gotten sucked in. Starting with Diablo 2, phantasy Star online. Monster Hunter World most recently

it needs to be easy drop in, drop out, no need for voice communication (I’m an introverted sissy), no more than 4 players.

I’m been interested in trying out Vermintide 2, but haven’t bit yet.

I still hope to this day that Dragons Dogma 2 will release with 4 player coop. They basically had it in the first game, all they have to do is add online functionality.

xrnzaaas

Nope. I gave MP-only games only one chance when I bought Dead by Daylight last gen and I didn't even spend more than 10 hours with it. Just not what I like and even when the game is meant primarily for multiplayer/co-op experience (like Borderlands, Division or Ghost Recon) I'll still play it in singleplayer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom