• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Tntnnbltn

gcubed said:
how much are the mics? Trying to get a guesstimate of what htey will cost once they hit the US in 3 years.
Here's a post I made a while back after Australian pricing was released. Seems to have held up well...

Tntnnbltn said:
Wireless microphone pricing info coming out of Australia...

Assuming similar pricing plans worldwide (cost of solo game + 33%), here's what approximate prices we are looking at...

AU: $80
UK: £30-35
US: $50-55

MadFuzzy

Wireless mic impressions:

They're great and totally worth the money.

The best thing about them is the freedom that they give you when you sing - there's no need to constantly keep on looking out for the microphone cables anymore and as a result you've got a LOT more freedom of movement for "performance". I've found that this alone is giving me higher scores than before in the game.

For those who were wondering, yes it comes with a little dongle box which is slightly larger than the one that the wired mics plug into, except this time it's more of a minature "stand" that you plug in and sit in front of your PS3.

You also get a set of 4 AA batteries (two of which go in each mic) and a little white nylon bag to keep the mics in (a bit like the bag that comes with the Buzz wireless buzzers).

The mics feel pretty good in your hand and weigh a little bit more than the wired ones, but at the same time they aren't as weighty as "proper" mics that you'd use at a karaoke box.

The power switch on the mics has also got a "hold" option so you can stop the mics from being turned off (or indeed on) accidentally which will be useful when you've got drunk friends around.

In terms of game compatibility, they work fine with both Rock Band games - you just need to turn the mic sensitivity up a little bit from the default settings in the options menu but not too much or you get glitches on the audio and distortion. Not got GHWT but I imagine they will work fine with it as well if they work with RB.

For those wondering how they shape up vs the Lips mics, I can't say for sure I'm afraid. I've not played the game but they felt fairly similar to the new Singstar ones when I got to look at them at Xmas (the only real difference is that the Singstar ones may be slightly longer as the transmitter is in the base of the mics).

Overall - I'm very impressed and they should be a definite purchase for anyone who plays Singstar or any other PS3 music game on a regular basis.

lupinko

MadFuzzy said:

The best thing about them is the freedom that they give you when you sing - there's no need to constantly keep on looking out for the microphone cables anymore and as a result you've got a LOT more freedom of movement for "performance". I've found that this alone is giving me higher scores than before in the game.

For those who were wondering, yes it comes with a little dongle box which is slightly larger than the one that the wired mics plug into, except this time it's more of a minature "stand" that you plug in and sit in front of your PS3.

You also get a set of 4 AA batteries (two of which go in each mic) and a little white nylon bag to keep the mics in (a bit like the bag that comes with the Buzz wireless buzzers).

The mics feel pretty good in your hand and weigh a little bit more than the wired ones, but at the same time they aren't as weighty as "proper" mics that you'd use at a karaoke box.

The power switch on the mics has also got a "hold" option so you can stop the mics from being turned off (or indeed on) accidentally which will be useful when you've got drunk friends around.

In terms of game compatibility, they work fine with both Rock Band games - you just need to turn the mic sensitivity up a little bit from the default settings in the options menu but not too much or you get glitches on the audio and distortion. Not got GHWT but I imagine they will work fine with it as well if they work with RB.

For those wondering how they shape up vs the Lips mics, I can't say for sure I'm afraid. I've not played the game but they felt fairly similar to the new Singstar ones when I got to look at them at Xmas (the only real difference is that the Singstar ones may be slightly longer as the transmitter is in the base of the mics).

Overall - I'm very impressed and they should be a definite purchase for anyone who plays Singstar or any other PS3 music game on a regular basis.

Sold. Now SCEA sell them to me in MICHAEL BUBLE LAND!!!!

Returners

MadFuzzy said:

In EU they come in a bag? :(

Great to hear impressions. And also glad to hear they work with RB, HELL YEA.

Sold. Now just release Vol. 3 here dammit!

MadFuzzy

Returners said:
In EU they come in a bag? :(

They're sold in a cardboard box rather than a horrible plastic blister pack, but they also come with a small nylon storage bag that's slightly larger than the mics themselves for you to keep them in when you're not using them.

Tntnnbltn

261kxo7.jpg

Oh, SCEA. I see what you did there...

gcubed

lupinko said:
PAL Vol 3 is too strong. :D

it really is... spring/summer time is party time, i can't pass up having those songs at my disposal.

Is there any reason why SCEA is also refusing to bring over the ps3 version of Queen?

Tntnnbltn

I don't usually pimp other websites, but singstarchallenge.com website has been doing some impressive things. The owner has been working with SCEE to add expanded functionality.

They've just launched My SingStar Online Integrated Service (SSOI). Features are:
* Instant notification by dashboard or email when the SingStore is updated - no more checking your PS3!
* View and download My SingStar Online videos from other SingstarChallenge members who have activated SSOI on their accounts
* Browse the SingStore from SingstarChallenge including video previews
* Access SingStar Scene community features such as Hot Picks of the Week
* Save and archive an unlimited amount of your own My SingStar Online videos
* Trophy support for your activity on My SingStar Online
* Automatic notification when your friends upload new videos
* Automatic notification when users leave comments on your My SingStar Online profile
* Quick import of your PlayStation(R)Network friends list to your SingstarChallenge friends list
This is the first time that user uploaded videos have been accessible via the internet. Once your PSN account is verified, you have direct access to all of your stuff straight from the SSC website. It's really quite impressive.

(The downside is that SSOI will be a premium service as of June 1 2009. And the website is a hideous purple colour.)

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
I don't usually pimp other websites, but singstarchallenge.com website has been doing some impressive things. The owner has been working with SCEE to add expanded functionality.

They've just launched My SingStar Online Integrated Service (SSOI). Features are:

This is the first time that user uploaded videos have been accessible via the internet. Once your PSN account is verified, you have direct access to all of your stuff straight from the SSC website. It's really quite impressive.

(The downside is that SSOI will be a premium service as of June 1 2009. And the website is a hideous purple colour.)

Is this in anyway official though? can't see it lasting that long if it isn't endorsed by the Singstar devs.

gcubed said:
it really is... spring/summer time is party time, i can't pass up having those songs at my disposal.

Is there any reason why SCEA is also refusing to bring over the ps3 version of Queen?
Either because they are working on bring the music to the SingStore as DLC by then (figuring they should do it because SingStar just doesn't have a whole lot of popularity here, but then again they never really gave the series much marketing), or they don't feel there isn't a demand for a PS3 version. SCEA is a bit tricky/weird when it comes to publishing.

Tntnnbltn

agm2502 said:
Is this in anyway official though? can't see it lasting that long if it isn't endorsed by the Singstar devs.
The website is (quote unquote) "not endorsed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe or SCEE London Studios".

That being said, to access the SSOI services you have to sign agree to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement, the SingStar Supplemental Terms, go through a bunch of disclaimers, and your PSN account has to be verified with your full name, DOB, and address. And on top of that, they have direct access to material from the SingStar Online servers. I'm pretty sure it's legit. ;-)

It's really the kind of thing they should have been doing via the official website all along. Since launch there was a void in terms of (official) internet community for SingStar. It's taken a third party to finally get this happening.

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
The website is (quote unquote) "not endorsed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe or SCEE London Studios".

That being said, to access the SSOI services you have to sign agree to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement, the SingStar Supplemental Terms, go through a bunch of disclaimers, and your PSN account has to be verified with your full name, DOB, and address. And on top of that, they have direct access to material from the SingStar Online servers. I'm pretty sure it's legit. ;-)

It's really the kind of thing they should have been doing via the official website all along. Since launch there was a void in terms of (official) internet community for SingStar. It's taken a third party to finally get this happening.

One wonders why you can't access your My Singstar Online videos on the official Singstar website in that case.

Edit:

Is SSOI approved or endorsed by Sony or London Studios?

No. Sony and London Studios do not have any involvement in the provision of My SingStar Online Integrated Services on SingstarChallenge, however the service provided is entirely legal under Norwegian law.

Tntnnbltn

agm2502 said:
"Is SSOI approved or endorsed by Sony or London Studios?

No. Sony and London Studios do not have any involvement in the provision of My SingStar Online Integrated Services on SingstarChallenge, however the service provided is entirely legal under Norwegian law."
Yeah, I saw that in the FAQ. I posted a question to the owner asking for clarification of what was involved. This is all very interesting to me.

lupinko

gcubed said:

They pulled a Shane Kim and didn't know it existed? :lol

Tntnnbltn

Tntnnbltn said:
I posted a question to the owner asking for clarification of what was involved.
Looks like I was mistaken. No involvement from Sony whatsoever in setting it up.

PSN verification is done simply by automatically searching for your PSN ID on SingStar Scene to see if it exists. If we are told legally that someone has fraudulently registered the ID on SSC, we will pull the name and address information out of the database.

Access to the servers is not possible in a conventional manner however someone with enough skill can do it without breaking the EULA terms. The PSN EULA criteria is that no code or equipment must be reverse-engineered, which we haven't done. The SingStar Terms of Use state explicitly that users may re-distribute material to other users and publish it. So we have made a best effort to stay within these terms to keep Sony happy, however as mentioned in the FAQ, these EULAs are likely worthless in Norway where the site is based anyway.

Wonder how this is going to go down...

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
Looks like I was mistaken. No involvement from Sony whatsoever in setting it up.

Wonder how this is going to go down...

Even though I like the features it offers, I think it will get stamped out pretty quickly by SCEE, things like this may affect music labels allowing there music to go on the Singstore. There's obviously a licensing reason as to why SCEE don't let you upload your videos to the internet. Leaderboards etc.. should of been incorporated into the game to start with, its shocking to me that they didn't do it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So Singstar Queen is out, anyone pick it up?

Just the usual new title screen but the inside the same like ABBA?

Tntnnbltn said:
261kxo7.jpg

Oh, SCEA. I see what you did there...

Yeah, I was wondering about this in the Upcoming Releases thread: the game went from shipping 3/17 to 'will ship when in stock' to finally getting that new "coming soon" banner and the Halloween date.

Disappointing, to say the least...but I'll wait instead of importing. I'd rather wait it out and hopefully do my own little part to promote continued NA SingStar support when the game finally does launch over here.

Why the hell isn't Sony BMG music on the store!? And I'm baffled as to how Microsoft of all companies has Sony music artists in LiPS(w/e) and Sony Computer Entertainment doesn't.

Holy shit.

lupinko

CrushDance said:
Why the hell isn't Sony BMG music on the store!? And I'm baffled as to how Microsoft of all companies has Sony music artists in LiPS(w/e) and Sony Computer Entertainment doesn't.

Holy shit.

?

There are tons of Sony Music songs on the Singstore, only holdout is Universal Music Group.

lupinko

CrushDance said:
Nuh uh. Go look at SME website, there's people like Usher, Leona Lewis, Chris Brown(lolz) etc.

I'm not even going to bother replying to this, you can just go back a few posts to see Store updates which prove you wrong also you could see it from the Singstore itself online (either through the game or on the website).

EDIT: Screw it, I'll just be cruel and point out your ignorance for you.

Tntnnbltn said:
UK SingStore Update, 12th March 2009

English:
Ari Koivunen - "Hear My Call" (Preview)
D-A-D - "Bad Craziness" (Preview)
D-A-D - "Laugh N A Half" (Preview)
Elvira Nikolaisen - "Sweet Sweet" (Preview)
Leona Lewis - "Run" (Preview)
Martina McBride - "A Broken Wing" (Preview)
Minor Majority - "Dancing In The Backyard" (Preview)
Minor Majority - "Supergirl" (Preview)
Richard Hawley - "Valentine" (Preview)
Rogue Traders - "Voodoo Child" (Preview)
Sanne Salomonsen - "You've Never Been Loved Before" (Preview)
Sara Bareilles - "Bottle It Up" (Preview)
Simon Mathew - "All Night Long" (Preview)

That doesn't even count all the other SME people like Billy Joel or Britney Spears (who recently had her own singles pack on the Singstore).

That same update even has Sara Bareilles who is another SME artist. :lol

Oh fun times.

kassatsu

Banned
So I was dumb last summer and bought some songs on my brothers PS3 back home in PA. Is there anyway to get the songs back. Do I have to call Sony?

lupinko

kassatsu said:
So I was dumb last summer and bought some songs on my brothers PS3 back home in PA. Is there anyway to get the songs back. Do I have to call Sony?

Yeah, it's called you buy the same songs again on your PS3.

CrushDance said:

Holy shit.

Sony BMG doesn't exist anymore but you do bring up a good point though, Sony Picture movies and TV shows are nowhere to be found on the marketplace, so why are SME artists and songs on Lips?

Eggo said:
If you bought them, you should be able to download them again from your download history.

Not how it works, the Singstore DRM is not nice and fair like the games DRM on PSN.

lupinko

AranhaHunter said:
Sony BMG doesn't exist anymore but you do bring up a good point though, Sony Picture movies and TV shows are nowhere to be found on the marketplace, so why are SME artists and songs on Lips?

Sony Pictures films and tv shows are now on XBLM iirc, but on the flip side the formerly XBLM-exclusive NBC Universal stuff is now on PSN.

Of course I don't see any of this since the CRTC has prevented us up here from getting the video store. But that's a different topic for another day. :'(

Just because they are all under the same corporate umbrella doesn't mean much, by that logic, why do Windows and Vaio divisions still work together?

lupinko said:
Sony Pictures films and tv shows are now on XBLM iirc, but on the flip side the formerly XBLM-exclusive NBC Universal stuff is now on PSN.

I think you're confusing that with the SPE movies that were pulled from netflix and then netflix and SPE worked out a deal and they got put there again, on XBLM I don't see Sony movies or TV Shows anyways, sorry to derail the thread, if you wanna talk more about it, PM me, I'm not gonna reply here on this thread.

lupinko

AranhaHunter said:
I think you're confusing that with the SPE movies that were pulled from netflix and then netflix and SPE worked out a deal and they got put there again, on XBLM I don't see Sony movies or TV Shows anyways, sorry to derail the thread, if you wanna talk more about it, PM me, I'm not gonna reply here on this thread.

Oh really? Okay then that solves that then. Like I said since I don't have a 360 anymore I don't know too much about that situation with XBLM, this is just what I hear and read about nowadays.

agm2502

English language songs:

Incubus------------------------Drive
Blur-----------------------------Good Song
Sherbet------------------------Howzat
Roy Orbison------------------In Dreams
Modest Mouse-----------------Ocean Breathes Salty
Trace Adkins ------------------Honky Tonk Badonkadonk
Andreas Johnson--------------Sing For Me
Billy Joel------------------------Tell Her About It
The Triffids---------------------Wide Open Road
Phyllis Nelson-------------------Move Closer
Helena Paparizou---------------My Number One
The Fray-------------------------You Found Me
OutKast---------------------------Roses
Deep Purple----------------------Smoke On The Water
Trace Adkins----------------------You're Gonna Miss This
Queen------------------Bohemian Rhapsody
Queen------------------One Vision
Queen------------------Bicyle Race
Queen------------------Killer Queen
Queen------------------Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Queen------------------Another One Bites The Dust
Queen------------------We Will Rock You
Queen------------------Who Wants To Live Forever
Queen------------------I Want It All
Queen-------------------We Are The Champions

Billy Joel - Songpack
Tell Her About It
Uptown Girl
We Didn't Start The Fire
Piano Man
Just The Way You Are

Tntnnbltn

UK SingStore Update, 26th March 2009

English:
Aaron - "U Turn (Lili)"
Andreas Johnson - "Sing For Me" (Preview)
Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It" (Preview)
Blur - "Good Song" (Preview)
Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water" (Preview)
The Fray - "You Found Me" (Preview)
Helena Paparizou - "My Number One" (Preview)
Incubus - "Drive" (Preview)
Modest Mouse - "Ocean Breathes Salty" (Preview)
OutKast - "Roses" (Preview)
Phyllis Nelson - "Move Closer" (Preview)
Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Preview)
Queen - "One Vision" (Preview)
Queen - "Bicycle Race" (Preview)
Queen - "Killer Queen" (Preview)
Queen - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Preview)
Queen - "Another One Bites The Dust" (Preview)
Queen - "We Will Rock You" (Preview)
Queen - "Who Wants To Live Forever" (Preview)
Queen - "I Want It All" (Preview)
Queen - "We Are The Champions" (Preview)
Roy Orbison - "In Dreams" (Preview)
Sherbet - "Howzat" (Preview)
Trace Adkins - "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" (Preview)
Trace Adkins - "You're Gonna Miss This" (Preview)
The Triffids - "Wide Open Road" (Preview)​

Song Pack - Billy Joel
Billy Joel - "Just The Way You Are"
Billy Joel - "Piano Man"
Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It"
Billy Joel - "Uptown Girl"
Billy Joel - "We Didn't Start The Fire"​

Danish:
Nik & Jay - "Boing"
Nik & Jay - "En Dag Tilbage"​

German:
Aextra - "Blödi Chue"
Aextra - "Himmu & Holl"
Mia Aegerter - "Land In Sicht"
QL - "Ewigi Liebi"​

Portuguese:
Santos e Pecadores - "Fala-me de Amor"
Santos e Pecadores - "Não Voltarei a Ser Fiel"​

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well, without the Queen songs (I mean really, there is zero chance) the update is only ok for the US. Actually it's quite good. a few reasonable classic hits, a current hit, some country... just sinks to only ok when taking into account that we won't get ANY queen whatsoever.

That can't be right. All of those Queen songs are those previously available in song packs. Wasn't the point to actually release the songs that were only on the disc, to that people with the 15 downloaded songs could complete the 25 tracks from the disc?

Tntnnbltn

SiegfriedFM said:
That can't be right. All of those Queen songs are those previously available in song packs. Wasn't the point to actually release the songs that were only on the disc, to that people with the 15 downloaded songs could complete the 25 tracks from the disc?
No mistake. They announced that they had cleared all Queen tracks for release as singles, including songs which were previously only available as parts of song packs. This week, they're releasing the 10 songs from previous song packs. Hopefully the remaining 10 songs will follow in the next update.

Edit: Oh, and my tracks for this week...
The Fray - "You Found Me" [Personal 'best song of update']
Incubus - "Drive"
Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"​

gcubed

ayrkain said:
Just got the wireless mics. First time I've played in weeks, and beat a couple of old scores. I'm very pleased with them.

yeah i imported them and they just arrived yesterday, they are awesome, glad i didnt wait. I'm on my anti-wire binge.

Tntnnbltn

Chart-topping songs from this weeks update (excluding Queen)...

Code:
                                               PEAK CHART POSITION
YEAR   SONG                                     US     UK     AUS
==================================================================
1963   Roy Orbison - "In Dreams"                 7      6      1
1973   Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"        4     21      -
1976   Sherbet - "Howzat"                       61      4      1
1983   Billy Joel - "Tell Her About It"          1      4      -
1985   Phyllis Nelson - "Move Closer"            -      1      -
1986   The Triffids - "Wide Open Road"           -     26     64
2001   Incubus - "Drive"                         9     40     34
2003   Blur - "Good Song"                        -     22      -
2004   OutKast - "Roses"                         9      4      2
2005   Trace Adkins - "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk"  30      -      -
2007   Trace Adkins - "You're Gonna Miss This"  12      -      -
2008   The Fray - "You Found Me"                 7     35      1

Nice spread, both over time and by country.

Top Bottom