• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Thanks for the updates (and the personal reminders especially!), Tntnnbltn.

These updates make my day whenever they hit a home run, and this one is headed out of the park.

A great classic Britney Spears track and a great classic Stock / Aitken / Waterman track (Sinitta's Cross My Broken Heart)? London Studio knows what I like.

Tntnnbltn

Label analysis:

This is always a bit of a guessing game. Copyrights and licenses exchange hands over time, so it can be hard to tell (particularly for older songs) who currently holds the license. I went through and tried to find music videos for these songs on itunes, as it lists the copyright owner/label. Don't take this list as 100% gospel though.

Songs are broken up by alignment with the big four music companies (Sony, EMI, Warner and Universal). The actual label has been indicated in brackets.

SONY:
* Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine" (Columbia)
* Britney Spears - "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart" (Zomba)
* Brooks & Dunn - "Boot Scootin' Boogie" (BMG Music)
* Daughtry - "Home" (19 Recordings)
* Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life" (Wind-Up Records)
* Johnny Cash - "A Boy Named Sue" (SBME)
* Sarah McLachlan - "Building A Mystery" (Arista)

EMI:
* Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom" (Virgin Records America)
* Johnny Diesel And The Injectors - "Cry In Shame" (EMI Music Australia)
* Madness - "It Must Be Love" (UK: Capitol)
* Poison - "Unskinny Bop" (Capitol)
* Ruslana - "Wild Dances" (EMI)

Independent:
* Dashboard Confessional - "Screaming Infidelities" (Vagrant Records)
* Saves The Day - "At Your Funeral" (Vagrant Records)
* Miss Li - "Oh Boy" (National)

Unknown:
* Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting"

Comments:
* Don't know who "Kung Fu Fighting" is currently under. US version appears to be under Sanctuary Records, a division of UMG, so don't hold your breath for a US appearance. Madness definitely is under UMG in the US, which is why there was no Madness song pack a few updates back.

* Sony and EMI continue to be the only major labels licensing songs for the SingStore. The last Warner song I can think of off the top of my head was released in 2008. Given Warner have stopped licensing music to Rock Band at a similar time because of price disputes, this sadly isn't surprising. And as for UMG, their holdoff is well known.

* Wind-Up Records (Evanescence) is distributed by Sony worldwide except for Canada, where it is distributed by Warner. No idea what affect this will have, if any, on a Canadian release.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
Label analysis:

This is always a bit of a guessing game. Copyrights and licenses exchange hands over time, so it can be hard to tell (particularly for older songs) who currently holds the license. I went through and tried to find music videos for these songs on itunes, as it lists the copyright owner/label. Don't take this list as 100% gospel though.

Songs are broken up by alignment with the big four music companies (Sony, EMI, Warner and Universal). The actual label has been indicated in brackets.

SONY:
* Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine" (Columbia)
* Britney Spears - "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart" (Zomba)
* Brooks & Dunn - "Boot Scootin' Boogie" (BMG Music)
* Daughtry - "Home" (19 Recordings)
* Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life" (Wind-Up Records)
* Johnny Cash - "A Boy Named Sue" (SBME)
* Sarah McLachlan - "Building A Mystery" (Arista)

EMI:
* Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom" (Virgin Records America)
* Johnny Diesel And The Injectors - "Cry In Shame" (EMI Music Australia)
* Madness - "It Must Be Love" (UK: Capitol)
* Poison - "Unskinny Bop" (Capitol)
* Ruslana - "Wild Dances" (EMI)

Independent:
* Dashboard Confessional - "Screaming Infidelities" (Vagrant Records)
* Saves The Day - "At Your Funeral" (Vagrant Records)
* Miss Li - "Oh Boy" (National)

Unknown:
* Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting"

Comments:
* Don't know who "Kung Fu Fighting" is currently under. US version appears to be under Sanctuary Records, a division of UMG, so don't hold your breath for a US appearance. Madness definitely is under UMG in the US, which is why there was no Madness song pack a few updates back.

* Sony and EMI continue to be the only major labels licensing songs for the SingStore. The last Warner song I can think of off the top of my head was released in 2008. Given Warner have stopped licensing music to Rock Band at a similar time because of price disputes, this sadly isn't surprising. And as for UMG, their holdoff is well known.

* Wind-Up Records (Evanescence) is distributed by Sony worldwide except for Canada, where it is distributed by Warner. No idea what affect this will have, if any, on a Canadian release.

Whitney Houston iirc is a Warner artist and she had a song added to the SingStore this year. Tho the song itself is old from like 2000 or something.

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
Whitney Houston iirc is a Warner artist and she had a song added to the SingStore this year. Tho the song itself is old from like 2000 or something.
1999: Whitney Houston - "It's Not Right But It's OK" (Arista; SBME)

agm2502

They should concentrate on getting some of the big artists on Sony's Columbia record label on the store. I don't know why there's no beyonce on the store yet, seems strange.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
1999: Whitney Houston - "It's Not Right But It's OK" (Arista; SBME)

I stand corrected.

EDIT: I can check the Evanenscence or however the hell it's spelt thing when it updates that week.

Tntnnbltn

My SingStore downloads have been cleared.

Timeline:
- Saturday: Rang support centre
- Thursday: Received confirmation email from PlayStation.com.au saying the reset would occur in the next several days
- Friday: Checked SingStore. All songs available.

Total time: 4 (UK) working days.

On that note, I just made my biggest ever SingStore purchase: $58 worth of catching-up. Had to spread it over two shopping carts; apparently there's a limit of 15 items. Also hit my 100th song purchase with Empire of the Sun - "Walking on a Dream".

Blablurn

bought two new songs

britney - craaaazy :lol
the kooks - always where i need to be

the kooks are awesome !!

and i reached 9728 at nirvana's lithium! hell yeah baby!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
agm2502 said:
They should concentrate on getting some of the big artists on Sony's Columbia record label on the store. I don't know why there's no beyonce on the store yet, seems strange.

i want single ladies :p

Tntnnbltn

drtomoe123 said:
I will shit myself if we get Dashboard and Saves the Day in the US.
I'm personally unsure whether you will get it or not. Vagrant's distribution label is Fontaine Distribution, a subsidiary of UMG. I don't know whether this licensing is in spite of their UMG distributing label, or if they have a different distributor for Europe.

Tntnnbltn

dk_ said:
How are the chances of getting some Killers stuff in the store? I couldn't believe that there's NOTHING.
At the current moment, zilch. Every single released by The Killers is under Island Def Jam Music Group, a subdivision of UMG.

Tntnnbltn

Develop Magazine (Issue 94, available online for free) has an article celebrating SingStar's fifth birthday in Europe.

Some selected bits...

Tech stuff: (a lot of this is repeated from an earlier Develop article on SingStar's audio tech)
One of those opportunities is working with Sony Creative Software, which creates specially tailored Virtual Studio Technology plug-ins for its Sound Forge professional audio editing suite, which are used by the SingStar team on the PlayStation 3 iterations of the series. Adapted to run natively on the consoles, the VST plug-ins are optimised for the SPU media processors.

Additionally, SingStar's vocal signal chain includes a high pass filter, wave hammer compressor and Sound Forge’s reverb set with a 1.2 second decay. The game also makes use of ADRes technology, designed by Dr Dan Barry of the Dublin Institute of Technology, which allows for the isolation of instruments in a stereo mix. While much of the information on ADres is confidential, it has been revealed that the technology filters frequencies and works on stereo width and position

Choosing songs:
Beyond core tech, choosing the songs is in itself a complex process and having a London Studio email address can mean you get a great deal of requests for inclusions from a range of sources including the all-important SingStar community, which developed as a result of the series’ move to the PlayStation 3 and subsequent reinvention as an online entertainment experience.

“In terms of getting the music onto disks, we get lots of wish lists from people, internally, across the globe and from the SingStar users,” explains Mason. “So we do get lots and lots of wish lists. We have to evaluate them in terms of suitability, not just in terms of how fun they are, but for things like long instrumentals that ruin the experience, suitable videos in terms of age rating and a number of other considerations.

“If it’s all OK then we have to request it from licensing, and then we’re into putting it onto disk and making our list, checking if tracks are balanced in terms of a good mix of male and female lead tracks, and then tweaking the difficulty, along with other evaluation and balancing considerations.”

Community feedback:
[The song selection process is] increasingly dominated by both the input of the community and observing user behaviour. This has turned SingStar into something that is in some respects always in production thanks to its regular updates.

“From a development point of view, having that close relationship with the community is very beneficial to us as we can see people doing things,” admits Haigh. “An example is that there’s one editing function for making user-generated content, and that’s just the pause button. Just with that people have made some amazing videos, and not just one person, but lots of people. That’s emergent behaviour from the community.

“I think the key word there is emergence. You can’t plan emergence – you have to listen to your community, and put tools in place so you can easily listen, so that there’s no barriers or other influence from external forces. Watching how people use video and the pause button gives us good indication as to what to do next, and that’s a hint at what we might be doing in the future.”

Wireless microphone delay and hub-ness:
Truth is, London Studio had in fact opted to not rush out the wireless microphones, as it had always attributed much of the success of the original incarnations of the SingStar concept to the affordability of the wired accessories.

“We really did have to try and work out the best route to entry and price-wise things were something of an issue. Also, we worked for a long time on quality,” explains Haigh who, along with his team, invested a huge effort in trying to make Bluetooth a viable solution for freeing SingStar fans from the tether to their performance that the wires had become.

Citing latency issues as part of the reason for abandoning Bluetooth, Haigh reveals: “The final motivation for our choice was to get rid of the cost of the receiver, as that’s actually the most expensive component. You wouldn’t know it but there’s a lot of chip technology in there to convert analogue to digital.”

Remy

Tntnnbltn said:
At the current moment, zilch. Every single released by The Killers is under Island Def Jam Music Group, a subdivision of UMG.

How did Mr. Brightside and When We Were Young work their way onto disc versions, then? Or does the UMG stupidity only apply to the SingStore?

lupinko

Remy said:
How did Mr. Brightside and When We Were Young work their way onto disc versions, then? Or does the UMG stupidity only apply to the SingStore?

Only the latter.

Damn you Mr. Brightside and your eager eyes. :shakesfist:

Tntnnbltn

US SingStore Update, 14th May 2009

Songs from this week's European update:
  • Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine"
  • Britney Spears - "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart"
  • Brooks & Dunn - "Boot Scootin' Boogie"
  • Dashboard Confessional - "Screaming Infidelities"
  • Daughtry - "Home"
  • Dima Bilan - "Believe"
  • Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"
  • Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom"
  • Johnny Cash - "A Boy Named Sue"
  • Johnny Diesel And The Injectors - "Cry In Shame"
  • Poison - "Unskinny Bop"
  • Ruslana - "Wild Dances"
  • Sarah McLachlan - "Building A Mystery"
  • Saves The Day - "At Your Funeral"
  • Sinitta - "Cross My Broken Heart"
  • US5 - "365 Days"
  • US5 - "Come Back To Me Baby"

Songs from previous European updates:
  • Chumbawamba - "Tubthumping"
  • Judas Priest - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"

Foreign-language songs:
French
  • Alain Souchon - "C'est Déjà Ça"
  • Aston Villa - "Un Million De Lézards"
  • Julien Clerc - "Quel Jeu Elle Joue"
  • Yelle - "Ce Jeu"

Songs that didn't make it:
  • Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting"
  • Madness - "It Must Be Love"
  • Miss Li - "Oh Boy"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
very nice US geared update that ACTUALLY CAME TO THE US.

shocked.

looks like I'm dropping around $15-20 to catch up on the past couple of updates.

Tntnnbltn

Baha said:
Yes it's there in the store.
Thanks.

The song credits for Evanescence just say "(P)2004 Wind-up Records, LLC under exclusive license to Sony Music Entertainment". I guess somehow they got around Wind-Up's distribution deal with Warner Music Canada.

Remy

lupinko said:
Only the latter.

Damn you Mr. Brightside and your eager eyes. :shakesfist:

UK Vol 1 has Mr. Brightside on it. (It was one of my standards before I moved up to US Vol 1, and then UK Vol 2 shortly thereafter. :D)

Tntnnbltn

(Flashback to December 2008)
I'll be very interested to see the song credits for this one. Tubthumping is licensed through EMI in Europe and Australia, but I was under the impression that Universal Music Group owned the rights in the US. That's the reason I predicted Tubthumping wouldn't make it to the US store in the first place.

As soon as it comes out in the US, someone will have to buy it for me.
BoilersFan23 said:
There's a good chance I'll buy that song as it comes to the U.S.
Still up for this? :D

YES! DASHBOARD AND SAVES THE DAY!

...of course, that happens as soon as I'm away from school and I can't access the SingStore for THREE MONTHS. >_>

I don't know if it's just me or my mics or what, but my scores have been dropping dramatically lately. I've been noticing it, but it wasn't til I played From The Bottom of My Broken Heart tonight that it really hit me...I know that song left and right, I know the pitch changes...but my timing seemed to be dead wrong all over the place, I barely scored 7000 on a song I should be able to pull an easy 9500+ on.

I dunno, maybe it's time for a calibration. But I'm wary of messing around with that stuff considering it had been working just fine up until the past couple of weeks. I'm on the same television with the same mic placement...is it normal for a calibration to be necessary out of nowhere?

It could just be that I'm singing shittier than usual, I suppose that's a possibility.

kassatsu

Banned
* Brooks & Dunn - "Boot Scootin' Boogie"
* Daughtry - "Home"
* Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"
* Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom"
* Sarah McLachlan - "Building A Mystery"

See look London Studios. Release good songs and I will buy.

Blablurn said:
do you know what i want next? online multiplayer :( this would be a great addition for the series.

It seems like online pass-the-mic multiplayer would be a breeze to implement...but I can see where lag might be an issue for duets. (I have no idea, would it?)

It'd be a killer next step for the franchise.

lupinko

Remy said:
UK Vol 1 has Mr. Brightside on it. (It was one of my standards before I moved up to US Vol 1, and then UK Vol 2 shortly thereafter. :D)

Oh, I don't like that song, that's why I condemn it and the Killers, and the lead singer's excessive use of mascara and eyeliner in that music video. =x

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well, looking at the last 4 updates here's what we're downloading tonight:

Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine"
Britney Spears - "From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart"
Brooks & Dunn - "Boot Scootin' Boogie"
Dashboard Confessional - "Screaming Infidelities"
Daughtry - "Home"
Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"
Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom"
Poison - "Unskinny Bop"
Sarah McLachlan - "Building A Mystery"
Chumbawamba - "Tubthumping"
Michael Bolton - "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You"
Divinyls - "I Touch Myself"
Aretha Franklin - "Say A Little Prayer"
Lily Allen - "The Fear"
Incubus - "Drive"
Modest Mouse - "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Trace Adkins - "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk"
Trace Adkins - "You're Gonna Miss This"
Sara Evans - "Born To Fly"
Cyndi Lauper - "True Colours"
Trace Adkins - "You're Gonna Miss This"

now if only Sony would come out with a new disc game over here so we could get some damn UMG artists.

Tntnnbltn

Fresh from my inbox:

2uhwtci.png

Looks like the missing songs will finally arrive.

MadFuzzy said:
Gamesindustry.biz has a good article about music licensing and the game today.
I was just about to post this. It's actually a three-part feature ("The Beginnings", "The Business", "The Music").

Tntnnbltn

UK SingStore Update, 28th May 2009

English:
  • Bill Withers - "Lean On Me"
  • Blacknuss - "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life"
  • Brad Paisley - "Online"
  • Britney Spears - "Sometimes"
  • Damien Leith - "Night Of My Life"
  • Depeche Mode - "I Feel You"
  • Don McLean - "Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)"
  • Evanescence - "Good Enough"
  • Evanescence - "My Immortal"
  • FACT - "A Fact Of Life"
  • Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone"
  • Good Charlotte - "I Don’t Want To Be In Love (Dance Floor Anthem)"
  • Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
  • Gorillaz - "Dirty Harry"
  • Hooverphonic - "You Hurt Me"
  • Korn - "Freak On A Leash"
  • Lisa Stansfield - "All Around The World"
  • Lostprophets - "A Town Called Hypocrisy"
  • Phoenix - "Everything Is Everything"

Ultimate Queen 3 song pack:
  • Queen - "You’re My Best Friend"
  • Queen - "Somebody To Love"
  • Queen - "Tie Your Mother Down"
  • Queen - "Fat Bottomed Girls"
  • Queen - "I’m In Love With My Car"

Natalia song pack (Local Benelux):
  • Natalia - "I Want You Back"
  • Natalia - "Fragile Not Broken"
  • Natalia - "I Survived You"
  • Natalia - "Gone To Stay"
  • Natalia - "I've Only Begun To Fight"

Danish:
  • Danser Med Drenge - "Hvor Længe Vil Du Ydmyge Dig"

Spanish:
  • El Canto Del Loco - "Ya Nada Volvera A Ser Como Antes"
  • Fangoria - "No se que me das"
  • Fito & Fitipaldis - "Soldadito Marinero"

French:
  • Aaron - "Le Tunnel D'Or"
  • Anis - "Rodeo Boulevard"
  • Corynne Charby - "Boule de flipper"
  • Deluxe - "Que No"
  • Laroche Valmont - "T'as le look coco"
  • Zaho feat. Tunisiano - "La Roue Tourna"

Finnish:
  • Paula Koivuniemi - "Kuuntelen Tomppaa"

Portuguese:
  • Lúcia Moniz - "Asas Na Mão"
  • Lúcia Moniz - "Chuva"

MadFuzzy

No I Want To Break Free or Under Pressure in that Queen song pack...

I hope they're being saved for Ultimate Queen 4 and that it'll come out in the first June update...

Good to see more Bill Withers, although we need Lovely Day just to see if anyone can hold THAT note near the end.

lupinko

MadFuzzy said:
No I Want To Break Free or Under Pressure in that Queen song pack...

I hope they're being saved for Ultimate Queen 4 and that it'll come out in the first June update...

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tntnnbltn

Finally finished formatting list for the various sites I post them at. Phew.

Now for opinions: AWESOME UPDATE!

Loving lots of the songs on there. Britney Spears, Evanescence (x2) and Good Charlotte are all day-one purchases. But the song I'm most excited about is Damien Leith - "Night of My Life". I personally requested the song from the SingStar Team a couple months ago, and now it's shown up. Coincidence?

Tntnnbltn

Chart analysis... These are the chart-ranking songs from this week's update. Note that this list includes over half of all English-language releases.

Code:
YEAR   SONG                                                US     UK     AUS
============================================================================
1972   Bill Withers - "Lean On Me"                          1     18      ?
1989   Lisa Stansfield - "All Around The World"             3      1      9
1993   Depeche Mode - "I Feel You"                         37      8     37
1999   Britney Spears - "Sometimes"                        21      3      2
1999   Korn - "Freak On A Leash"                          106     24     22
2003   Evanescence - "My Immortal"                          7      7      4
2005   Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."                         14      2      8
2006   Damien Leith - "Night Of My Life"                    -      -      1
2006   Lostprophets - "A Town Called Hypocrisy"             -     23      -
2007   Brad Paisley - "Online"                             39      -      -
2007   Good Charlotte - "Dance Floor Anthem"               25      -      2

Thanks for the info, as always! I hope the trend of more and more Britney songs creeping out continues.

Of course, I've said it before: a Britney disc release would be even better, but I won't hold my breath considering how much they've already popped onto the SingStore.

Either way, Sometimes is a great addition. It's a fun song to singalong with - nice midtempo ballad, not hard to pick up if you haven't heard it in a decade.

Surprised at no Stock/Aitken/Waterman inclusion this time around. I'm sure they'll pick back up with those in coming updates.

Tntnnbltn

Online stats from gamesindustry.biz:

In total the SingStar franchise has sold over 16 million units across the PAL region alone, making it a key brand in 67 different countries. Localisation within Europe has been crucial in hitting those numbers, with the game now available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Croatian and Russian.

Most interesting, however, are some of the statistics coming out of the online space since the PlayStation 3's added functionality made downloadable tracks and uploadable videos possible.

Online Snapshot
  • The most popular download times are between 8pm-11pm on Friday and Saturday nights.
  • The total number of tracks downloaded from SingStore to-date is over 4 million.
  • The total number of videos uploaded to My SingStar Online video uploads so far is over 100,000.
  • There are now over 1000 songs available on the SingStore.
  • More than 6000 SingStar players sign up to the online components of SingStar each week.
  • SongPacks have now sold 57,000 copies since launching in October 2008.
  • My SingStar Online has nearly 400,000 registered users.
  • Over 9.3 million My SingStar Online videos have been viewed so far.
  • SingStar has won three Guinness World Records, including Most Successful Singing Game, First Customisable Track in a Singing Game and First Music Game to Let Players Record Their Performances and Share Them Online...

Toy Soldier said:
Thanks for the info, as always! I hope the trend of more and more Britney songs creeping out continues.
What remaining singles from her first three albums would you most want to see?
("Lucky", "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know", "I'm a Slave 4 U", "I'm Not a Girl Not Yet a Woman", "Boys")

Tntnnbltn

Label analysis:

Pretty much the expected... No Warner or Universal.

SONY
Bill Withers - "Lean On Me" (Columbia)
Brad Paisley - "Online" (Arista Nashville)
Britney Spears - "Sometimes" (Zomba)
Damien Leith - "Night Of My Life" (Sony BMG Australia)
Evanescence - "Good Enough" (Wind-Up Records)
Evanescence - "My Immortal" (Wind-Up Records)
Good Charlotte - "I Don’t Want To Be In Love (Dance Floor Anthem)" (Epic)
Korn - "Freak On A Leash" (Epic)
Lisa Stansfield - "All Around The World" (Arista)

EMI
Depeche Mode - "I Feel You" (Mute ??)
Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc." (EMI Records)
Gorillaz - "Dirty Harry" (EMI Records)
Phoenix - "Everything Is Everything" (Virgin Music)

INDEPENDENT
Blacknuss - "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" (Diesel Music AB)
Don McLean - "Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)" (BGO)
FACT - "A Fact Of Life" (Unsure... Vagrant / Maximum 10 / Hassle)
Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone" (Red Bullet)
Hooverphonic - "You Hurt Me" (PIAS)
Lostprophets - "A Town Called Hypocrisy" (UK: Visible Noise / US: Sony BMG Columbia)

Dwayne

Can anyone give me some clues on how to get high scores in rap? I totally suck at it, even if I do know all the words and say them in time.

Tntnnbltn

Dwayne said:
Can anyone give me some clues on how to get high scores in rap? I totally suck at it, even if I do know all the words and say them in time.
Rap scoring is a lost cause. The SingStar Team needs to redevelop the rap scoring mechanism and interface. Under the current interface you can't even tell why you are losing points.

lorddct

The new songs are definetely making me purchase more songs. Finally putting out good ones worth purchasing. I just wish London studios would do something about the damn shuffle in Pass the mic.

If you play the game enough times the same songs gets choosen over and over again!!!!! It just gets annoying to have to play the same song throughout the night when you have like 50+ songs to choose from. My most wanted update for Singstar.

And of course to release the darn wireless mics stateside!!!!

Top Bottom