• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sisu (2022): Finnish? I'm just getting started!

sCHOCOLATE

I saw the trailer for Sisu (2022) last year. It looked the part of a lone-wolf, revenge-filled, action movie. Just watched the entire thing. An underrated gem for 2022. It had all the best bits from a Tarantino movie wrapped up in a format uncluttered by narrative and soliloquy. Opinions?

MwuwIup.jpg

Last edited:

dulleyes

Banned
Really average movie that goes from A tier, to C tier very quickly from the opening scenes.

It's quite obvious where their 6 million dollar budget went, and where the money ran out the longer you watch the movie and reach the end.

My biggest gripe is that these people knew the budget was small, and yet, they had no inclination to scale down the script to fit the budget with what they envisioned; something that is painstakingly obvious when the third half of the movie starts and your suspensions of disbelief is stretched very thin as the script, and budget, can't explain the glaring plot holes in the movie.

My advice is to turn off your brain, and dont question anything. Maybe then you'll enjoy the movie for what it is, a super unrealistic movie about a super unrealistic movie that went from grounded, to comical by the end of its runtime.

clarky

Gold Member
Really average movie that goes from A tier, to C tier very quickly from the opening scenes.

It's quite obvious where their 6 million dollar budget went, and where the money ran out the longer you watch the movie and reach the end.

My biggest gripe is that these people knew the budget was small, and yet, they had no inclination to scale down the script to fit the budget with what they envisioned; something that is painstakingly obvious when the third half of the movie starts and your suspensions of disbelief is stretched very thin as the script, and budget, can't explain the glaring plot holes in the movie.

My advice is to turn off your brain, and dont question anything. Maybe then you'll enjoy the movie for what it is, a super unrealistic movie about a super unrealistic movie that went from grounded, to comical by the end of its runtime.
My thoughts exactly. Started great, ended completely stupid.

6/10

Sonik

I fucking knew it, almost every foreign film that is trying to imitate modern Hollywood turns out more forgettable and boring than most modern Hollywood movies. I'm writing this now because I'll probably have forgotten about this movie tomorrow, there's literally nothing noteworthy about this movie, it's like it was written by a fucking Hollywood exec committee. At least some Hollywood movies do action well, this film didn't even manage to be good at that, it was just standard action shit I've seen a million times before with a protagonist I just didn't give a shit about because the movie doesn't even attempt to make him likeable or interesting

norm9

I really liked it. Went from zero to 100 pretty quickly and stayed there; Landmines are great action movie weapons. My only problem was everyone speaking English.

Not too bad...It does not take itself seriously, has solid cinematography, a basic plot, and some gory/brutal sequences. If you liked John Wick, The Equalizer, Nobody...you'll probably enjoy this one as well.

I fucking knew it, almost every foreign film that is trying to imitate modern Hollywood turns out more forgettable and boring than most modern Hollywood movies. I'm writing this now because I'll probably have forgotten about this movie tomorrow, there's literally nothing noteworthy about this movie, it's like it was written by a fucking Hollywood exec committee. At least some Hollywood movies do action well, this film didn't even manage to be good at that, it was just standard action shit I've seen a million times before with a protagonist I just didn't give a shit about because the movie doesn't even attempt to make him likeable or interesting

Can't object to anything you wrote, but it helped take my mind off a couple of things that had been bothering me...

Was planning on watching this as the movie poster makes him out to be a Scandinavian John Rambo. I'm not sure what to expect though and I hate 90 minutes movie, I want full bang at 2 hours!

Pejo

My hype started very high in the trailer, then I saw as the trailer went on that it seemed obvious that the strong female characters were really the focus so I decided to skip the movie. I'll catch it for free on a streaming service someday if I'm bored.

It's been a while since a trailer made me go from hype to zero in like 30 seconds.

Movie is surprisingly good. It really is like a Tarantino action movie (over-the-top action), but without the dialogue (for better or worse). I also like that they avoided the cheap sympathy card by not killing the dog.

Solid 7/10
My hype started very high in the trailer, then I saw as the trailer went on that it seemed obvious that the strong female characters were really the focus so I decided to skip the movie. I'll catch it for free on a streaming service someday if I'm bored.

It's been a while since a trailer made me go from hype to zero in like 30 seconds.
Dear god, man. 10 seconds of women in a trailer does not mean they're the 'really the focus' of the movie. You couldn't be more wrong lol

Pejo

Dear god, man. 10 seconds of women in a trailer does not mean they're the 'really the focus' of the movie. You couldn't be more wrong lol
They had a limited window to show me what the movie was about, and that's what I got from it. It's their marketing team's fault, not mine.

keraj37

I find it mediocre copy of Tarantino style Hollywood films, just with 100 times lesser budget and European style, which doesn't fit. I couldn't finish it, but it was quite entertaining in the beginning.

Top Bottom