• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Site Update - Thread Tags

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
During this year's E3 we added a temporary new feature to the site that let users select a thread tag to help others find relevant info quickly. We received some great community feedback, and we've been working hard to bring this feature to NeoGAF for everyday use.

Today we're excited to announce that Thread Tags are now available. We've updated and improved the implementation, and users are now able to add up to three thread tags per thread. We think this will help NeoGAF users find relevant info more quickly.

Thread Tags are simple to use. Just drop down the "Tags..." box (above the thread title) when creating a thread. From this box you can select the tags you'd like to apply, or start typing the first few letters of the tag you'd like to use to filter the list further.

ewiKMG4.png

As you select individual tags to apply to your thread, they will show up in the tag box and will be greyed out in the list

WsDygww.png

If you want to remove a thread tag (before the thread is posted) you can click on the X next to it.

Now that your newly created thread has one or more tags, users will be able to filter the thread list to just see all the threads with that tag. For example, you could click on the |OT| tag or select it from the filtering options

P0qzezv.png

And select "Filter", which will give you a list that looks like this:

Ctmys93.png

Please remember the following when using the Thread Tags feature:
  • You can select up to three tags per thread.
  • Different tags are available on different sub-forums.
  • Thread tags become part of the thread title. Therefore, users cannot change these tags after the thread has been posted.
  • A moderator can change or assign tags as is appropriate.

We hope you enjoy the Thread Tags feature. As always, your feedback is welcome!

ROMhack

Lovely idea. It'll make it a lot easier to scan threads now, and also easier to engage.

May I also suggest 'shitpost' but make it exclusive to brap brap

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Don't really like how they show up in the tabs. That's gonna get confusing when I have a lot of threads open.

5TRNuqX.png

The mods and I are populating existing threads with tags to give you an idea of the intention behind the update.
Maybe consider a couple different colors also. I liked seeing the blue, green and red at E3. Made it even easier.

But yeah, not sure what colors would make sense for other more specific concepts. Maybe it would just be messy. Not sure honestly.

I like it though, looks nice.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maybe consider a couple different colors also. I liked seeing the blue, green and red at E3. Made it even easier.

But yeah, not sure what colors would make sense for other more specific concepts. Maybe it would just be messy. Not sure honestly.

I like it though, looks nice.

We went with neutral colors for the main tags so things wouldn't look too busy. That way, special tags like Staff and E3 ones can still stand out as necessary too.

mortal

Gold Member
This is awesome, thanks to the staff for helping improve the usability of Gaf. Although, I have one suggestion.

I think it would look much better if the tags were placed after the thread title. It's a bit much on the eyes when multiple threads have multiple tags stacked in front.
Would lead to less visual clutter and disorientation, at least imo.
luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png

Caffeine

This is awesome, thanks to the staff for helping improve the usability of Gaf. Although, I have one suggestion.

I think it would look much better if the tags were placed after the thread title. It's a bit much on the eyes when multiple threads have multiple tags stacked in front.
Would lead to less visual clutter and disorientation, at least imo.
luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png
I like that second one personally.

Kadayi

Banned
Good to see Tags implemented, but I'll be honest I find the orange way too aggressive on the eyes (Dark theme modern user here). I think something like a more neutral colour (maybe a light grey or blue) would be a better option.

dan76

Yeah, I don't really like them. Is there a way to disable them? Somnium's suggestions would look better.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Eh, I don't like them. It's getting too busy.

Yeah I'm not a fan of how it clutters things up a bit, the functionality for filtering will probably be useful but I wish it wasn't prefacing every thread title in the list, or rather, most of them. The non uniform width causes you to have to jump your eye around a bit more.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I commend you on yet another fantastic update. NeoGAF is like a finely crafted whiskey with all the right flavor notes that speak to the serotonin in my brain.

Kazza

Would it be possible to add ignore functionality to the tags? I wouldn't mind the option of putting "Drama" into my ignore list so that I wouldn't have news of Pro Jared's dong or the latest Kotaku hot take on toxic gamers cluttering up my view of the forums.

Top Bottom