• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Site Update - User Generated Giveaways

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Hello NeoGAF!

Today we are releasing an update to the site's Giveaway functionality. With this update, users can now give away their own game keys by generating their own site giveaways! Here's how it works:

From the giveaways tab on the left hand side, select "Create a giveaway"

kKqqMYE.png

Once you're there you'll be given a series of questions to answer about what you're giving away, what gaming platform your key is for, and how long you'd like the giveaway to take place (3 days, 7 days, or 14 days).

PczmbSy.png

Just enter the information that the form is asking for by filling out the various text fields and drop down menus

GxEDXqJ.png

When you hit the Submit button, the system will validate the information you entered. If you've entered something wrong, the system will let you know and you'll have the opportunity to correct it. Once the validation process is complete, you'll (hopefully) see this

Zar1rkE.png

Which means your giveaway has been successfully created and is now live! Every GAF user will now be able to see and enter the giveaway you created. Exciting!

ivBrGfG.png

When the giveaway timer finishes, the system will automatically draw a winner from the pool of users that entered, and will PM the winner with their game key. Now you're a hero.

dueUBkp.png

p1i7MM6.png

There might even be some secret site achievements for winning a giveaway, or creating one!

Please remember to follow these guidelines when creating a giveaway:
  • Giveaways are site-wide and your name will be shown to everyone for the sake of accountability. Don't be a dick and please only create giveaways in good faith.
  • If a moderator finds a user that's abusing the giveaway system (constantly giving invalid or illegal keys, etc) then your giveaway creation privileges may be revoked. Excessive or egregious abuse may result in a site-wide ban.
  • NeoGAF isn't responsible for the content or validity of user-generated giveaways. If something isn't working correctly, please PM the giveaway creator directly to try and work it out.
  • Currently the system is designed for Steam keys but you can also choose "Xbox", "Playstation", or "Other" as your giveaway category. Right now, any of these selections will load placeholder art. We're working on updating that soon.
  • We have a lot of additional functionality planned (sorting and filtering options, pagination, Steam account syncing to show whether you own a game that's being given away, etc) so please be patient with us.
  • Now that giveaways can be created by anyone at any time, be sure to check back often to see what's new!
  • Above all else, remember to have fun and do your best to help spread the love of gaming to others!
As always, let us know how we did with this new feature: what you like, what you don't like, and what you think we can improve.

Komatsu

EviLore EviLore and Palliasso Palliasso - an indie dev with a recent GAF account asked me to create an OT for his game. I asked him if he could give away some codes for the community and he kindly agreed to do so. I posted the OT in question right before this post came out so I've moved ahead and created a giveaway using one of the codes he supplied. Is there any way of doing this on a first come, first serve basis? In any case, please lmk if I'm doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

LegionX

I've put one up as a test. Would be nice to instead of having "Other" maybe be able to write down where it's from? I just added it to the game name for now

LegionX

And now I have screwed up... I put up a Steam one, went to the page for the game (Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered) and looked above at the URL and entered it in... and when it went live I saw the Factorio image.... (I'd looked earlier to see if it was a game I was interested in) I checked and Steam is showing the app id for Factorio still for some reason. So... new request! An edit function.. or can a mod please do it for me?

plushyp

And now I have screwed up... I put up a Steam one, went to the page for the game (Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered) and looked above at the URL and entered it in... and when it went live I saw the Factorio image.... (I'd looked earlier to see if it was a game I was interested in) I checked and Steam is showing the app id for Factorio still for some reason. So... new request! An edit function.. or can a mod please do it for me?
Try tagging Palliasso with an @ in your post.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is it allowed to make a giveaway for a game you made yourself? Might only be relevant to me if you add Wii U to the platfoms supported by the giveaway, but in case you do, I'd like to know.

Tumle

I just gave a game away as a test, but is there anyway to alert people of the giveaways or is up to the users them selves to check in on what’s being given?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is it allowed to make a giveaway for a game you made yourself? Might only be relevant to me if you add Wii U to the platfoms supported by the giveaway, but in case you do, I'd like to know.

Sure, yeah.

theHFIC

Are there any restrictions on the age or type of games that can be used in the Giveaway feature? I have a ton of keys from various bundles of different value that I have no use for. I don't plan on flooding the giveaway page with entries, but can I do smaller titles and / or multiple giveaways at a time?

LegionX

Just wondering, will the person that set the giveaway get any stats at the end? I don't mean the list of people entering as that's probably a privacy thing... but it may be nice to know how many people actually entered so I can gauge if it's worth putting up smaller lesser known things in future

maybe give-awayers can accrue exp dependent on the value of their giveaways, and after 100 exp they "level up" for a month of NeoGaf Gold.

regardless love all these new features and additions. keep making progress guys.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Just catching up on this -- great idea, I'm sure I must have some old keys around here somewhere from Humble Bundle etc.

Are there any restrictions on the age or type of games that can be used in the Giveaway feature? I have a ton of keys from various bundles of different value that I have no use for. I don't plan on flooding the giveaway page with entries, but can I do smaller titles and / or multiple giveaways at a time?

Good question, I'm also curious here. I probably wouldn't post anything that just seems entirely unappealing, but then again someone might really like the exact game that chose to ignore in some prior bundle.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Sure, yeah.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I just posted 2 keys (Hack 'n' Slash for Steam, and Mighty Switch Force! for 3DS). I'm not sure about region locking... are 3DS keys locked to region? Anyhow, they're both short duration (3 days), so when the winner claims the 3DS one, let me know if it's not working right in your region etc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How can I buy Steam keys, though? I don't play on PC anymore and last I checked it was a pain to buy a straight-up key from the Steam storefront.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How can I buy Steam keys, though? I don't play on PC anymore and last I checked it was a pain to buy a straight-up key from the Steam storefront.
You can't buy Steam keys directly from Steam (strangely enough).

You can buy from sites like GreenManGaming, Fanatical, Amazon, and others though. Otherwise you'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to send a Steam gift to your own email and post the redemption link into the giveaway box instead of the key itself. But then I think if you do that, whoever redeems it is automatically your friend on Steam and all kinds of other potentially weird things with sending gifts to random internet strangers.

Kadayi

Banned

If you're looking for keys then this place a good for finding cheap deals: -

There's also: -

But it's fairly new as I understand it

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
I don't mean the list of people entering as that's probably a privacy thing... but it may be nice to know how many people actually entered so I can gauge if it's worth putting up smaller lesser known things in future
This suggestion has been implemented. The detail view will now show the number of entrants each giveaway currently has publicly. This will also be shown on closed giveaways.

Fuz

Banned
QoL request: is it possible to implement some sort of of checkmark to see which giveaways you are already partecipating in from the main giveaway page?

Last edited:
Top Bottom