• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Size Mattters (XB1 vs PS4)

Majanew

Banned
I expect XB1 to be quieter during operation. Just seems like Sony will have to have a fan kick on a little loudly for that size.

IceCold

HjoiTCy.jpg

I've added the wiiu too using the width of the disc slot as a parameter of the scaling, it might not be perfect but it's not too distant from the truth

That's what Nintendo got for using the shamefully old 45nm production a console that technically is a gen behind for a size that's barely smaller than the most powerful one that crushes it power wise.

What so you mean? The wii u is more than half the size of the ps4. I don't consider that to be barely smaller.

Alright, here's my attempt at a to-scale picture, based on the size of the HDMI ports. Xbone picture was perspective cropped from a shot someone took of the box, since I can't find an official high res picture of the back.

That xbone rear layout looks just like your average PC motherboard layout. I wonder if they literally built this 'off the shelf' with modified pc parts for a lot of it.

Orayn

That xbone rear layout looks just like your average PC motherboard layout. I wonder if they literally built this 'off the shelf' with modified pc parts for a lot of it.

Nah, the motherboard is definitely custom since it's using a CPU/GPU/memory setup that doesn't exist anywhere else, but I agree that it looks like a very traditional PC backplate layout.

Mondriaan

I can't be the only one who doesn't care how big these things are. I'm just going to put them on a shelf and never think about them again no matter how big they are.

If you plan to take your system somewhere, you might notice how big/heavy the system is. On the other hand, there's probably far less reason to take the Xbone anywhere that doesn't have an online connection (or is outside some list of authorized regions).

Espada

There's got to be a catch to the PS4 design. I mean, it's more powerful than the X1 and has an internal PSU, yet it's considerably smaller. I don't understand.

From what's been said about the two machines during the run up to E3 people were saying the ESRAM in the Xbox One would make for a huge APU die. I kept seeing the same thing about that type of memory being repeatedly: large, hot, expensive. By comparison the GDDR5 on my videocard doesn't even have passive cooling and it does just fine. PS4's memory also seems slightly slower than the standard memory.

So that could explain why one is a large box and the other is considerably smaller. I have no idea how the hell they got an internal PSU in there.

LeleSocho

Banned
What so you mean? The wii u is more than half the size of the ps4. I don't consider that to be barely smaller.

Wherever the wii u fit there's a very high possibility that the ps4 will fit in there too.
Also consider the power/area ratio, it's laughable.
Oh don't forget the PSU... PS4 has no power brick but the wiiu does, the more you think about it the more is ridiculous.

whats the deal with both new machines being half matte, half shiny?

Appeal both who like matte and glossy.

ozfunghi

So according to that article, PS4 is smaller than WiiU, and has an internal PSU?

Right.

PS: cue the WiiU haters that have been claiming for months that WiiU couldn't be more powerful than a 360 due to its form factor.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Width and depth.. The same as a receiver or DVD player.

It's actually not that tall.
Considering the other dimensions and what's inside, it definitely is tall. I'd like the design much better if it was 30-40% slimmer, and considering how much empty space they have inside and that they use big BD drive, they probably could have made it that much smaller.

ozfunghi

No? The article just says that the PS4's aspect ratio is similar to the original Wii.

"PS4 enjoys a much more compact frame, looking roughly like the original Wii."

Wii is smaller than WiiU, hence according to them, PS4 is smaller than WiiU. They are talking about the compactness of the frame, not the aspect ratio.

Dizzy

Banned
Xbox One looks to be one of, if not the biggest console ever. On top of that the new kinect looks pretty huge. Theres the external power brick, and for anyone that wants a lot of games an external harddrive will be needed too.

No wonder they call it the Xbox One. There's only going to be room for One console in your setup when thats in there.

aaaaaa

9011342661_f14091b419_z.jpg

There is an optical illusion going on when you look at it from this angle. Your mind can easily read it as a rectangular prism instead of a parallelopiped. Makes it look like it has less depth.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
They used the wrong one. strata8's design was eyeballing it, nib95's design uses dimensions:

As promised, to scale comparisons of the three next gen consoles.

PS3XboxOneWiiUDimensionsTop-2.png~original

PS3XboxOneWiiUDimensionsFrontSML.png~original

Also, in the picture, there's an optical illusion, the PS4 looks even smaller than it is due to the slanting. In reality both sides of the front facing PS4 are the same width.

Top Bottom