• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate or PS2 Tony Hawk?

It's weird, because as much as I think the PS2 Tony Hawk games are among the greatest games of all time, I also wouldn't hesitate to call Skate 2 the best skateboarding game ever made, since it's much more "about" skating than the Tony Hawk games were. They're both the absolute best at what they do.

I really don't think I can choose.

D1AMONDDOGS

Neo Member
Grew up loving the THPS games, but I'd take SKATE by a country mile. Controls never get old. Landing tricks after a bit of practice is so satisfying.

collige

Banned
Skate is amazing, THPS1-2-3-4-THUG is one of the greatest string of video game releases of all time. It's up there with golden era Final Fantasy, NES/SNES Marios, etc. Straight up classic.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Skate has some of the best feel for a sports game out there. Just cruising around the world making your own lines at a leisure pace is more fun than most Tony Hawk games in their entirety.

Also much more difficult when you get into the expert level shite.

Skate all the way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
THPS 3 is an interesting game in my personal history.

It's the one time I lost all my skill in a series because the game got a good framerate compared to its predecessor.

I'm great at THPS 1 and 2. 2x is by far my favorite XBOX game. Played them on almost every console they released on. I try playing 3 on GCN or PS2 and I suck shit. Can't land anything. Reverts make no sense.

Dominator

Underground was life changing for me... I played that game so much, I wish I had kept track with the time I spent on it. I liked Underground 2 as well but 1 is my jam.

But, Skate is special. Something about that series captured skating in an incredible way. Tony Hawk was fun for a different reason, not because of the skating but the ridiculousness of it all.

Early Tony Hawk is still a classic but I think I'll give this one to Skate. I want a 4th game pretty bad.

To this day, I think comparing the two is like apples to oranges.

Do you want to make an argument for player expression in a playground of skateable terrain? Either would honestly be a good candidate even though their approaches are considerably different. It's remarkable, though, how Skate is practically built around the idea--it was really at the forefront of the idea that players would want to share their gameplay with others and should have easy access to it.

Single player content? I'd have to give that to THPS because I appreciate the more structured nature of it compared to Skate's open world. It's a shame THPS3 is pretty much the last real classic Pro Skater game because I really enjoy the laundry list with a time limit compared to the mission-based objectives in 4, Underground, and American Wasteland. Underground 2 is kind of confusing in structure--it's kind of halfway between the two styles.

Multiplayer. Does Skate have Capture the Flag? I didn't think so.

Really, you get what you put into it for both series. I never played a lot of Skate, but I had a lot of fun with it.

NightOnyx

It's THPS for me, but I do enjoy Skate a lot. Man, I wish we could get a new quality game from either of those franchises. I doubt Activision will make another THPS any time soon after what happened with 5, but I guarantee if they would get the right team to work on it and allowed them to make a true Tony Hawk game, then it would sell really well.

But more on Underground. The levels combined with the story plus online mode along with the godly MUSIC!!!

If only a competent developer can give that game a FFX style remaster I would be totally all over it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
PS2 Tony Hawk, and it's not even close. The games just feel so good to play, and the soundtracks are timeless.

But I really have nothing against Skate. I think it's sad that neither exists in this dark era.

IMO skate games are infinitely better then THPS games. I use to love THPS on gamecube but skate always just felt like the nex gen experience to me.

rainz

Tony Hawk 2 - Dreamcast version was actually our most played.. It was in that short moment in time when the DC was showing its graphical muscle and always looked/played better than on other consoles for me..

Nowdays though, I'd take Skate (the original)

Fonds

As a skateboarder (back then, my kneed have given out since) Skate just felt so much more natural.
The way you could flip your board with the thumbsticks, absolutely genius.

THPS was amazing back in the day but the longevity that Skate offered was in another league. Perfecting a flip in flip out back tail is something I never cared for in THPS.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Tony Hawks for me. I only played the first Skate game but I really didn't care for it. Didn't find it fun at all.

THPS2 and Skate 2 are two of my favorite games of all time. I cant pick one. THPS2 I like more for nostalgic reasons but I really fucking loved Skate 2. THPS1 and Skate 1 and 3 are also remarkable games.

THPS was fun for the huge combos. Skate I could just session one rail for countless hours.

sTiTcH AU

#1 THPS series (because of THPS1 and American Wasteland)
#2 Skate series (was cool but got bored)
#3 Thrasher Skate & Destroy

jyoung188

Skate! As a skateboarder who used to try and skate "realistically" in thps the skate series was a literal dream come true.

Don't get me wrong though the early thps are a staple of my childhood and 2 is one of my favorite games ever. But skate is just a better skateboarding game.

Soodanim

I had THPS 1, 2, 3 (PS1 and PS2) and THUG. All really good fun.
I tried the demo for Skate. I have no interest in sims.

Skate fuels good ragdoll compliations, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Skate 2 is my favorite of all time. I was bodying people online for years. great physics that balanced realism with arcadey stuff, amazing trick system that took skill to master and a really great soundtrack that I never got tired of. Seriously this game was the shit, it really captured the feeling of going out and skating some shit with friends for me, partially because it came out when party chat was really popular among my highschool bros.

Auctopus

I loved growing up with the Tony Hawk series and it peaked with Underground. But as an actual skater, when SKATE happened, literally nothing compared to it.

Both because they aren't even similar other then both using skateboards.

THPS is an arcade game. Skate is a skating simulator, will except 3 that's a "how bad can you crash bro?" simulator, but they are different games for different things.

I love both.

SFenton

THPS5 is the pinnacle of arcadey skateboarding games.

Of course, if realism's what you're after, you might wanna try Tony Hawk Ride instead.

THPS2 or I'm just now trying Skate 3 and they're both fantastic don't make me choose

E-flux

high level of play in Tony hawk just looks ugly, i prefer skate for it's scoring system where you can actually do lines that aren't strung together by manuals and reverts.

Wow, I played THPS3 sooo much, pure fun

Cant say I played Skate as much, but I love the feel of that game and would love a gen 8 skate. Strange EA not releasing Another one what was the sales for each skate, negative trend?

Auctopus

Wow, I played THPS3 sooo much, pure fun

Cant say I played Skate as much, but I love the feel of that game and would love a gen 8 skate. Strange EA not releasing Another one what was the sales for each skate, negative trend?

I don't know if there was a negative trend but I never bought 3 after playing it for a bit because I felt the environments were less natural and were designed to just let you do huge tricks which the previous two games weren't really about. I'd hope with a reboot/sequel, they'd stick to the series' more grounded roots.

Additionally, Skate didn't just stop getting made, EA Blackbox was broken up (another EA studio destroyed) and the developers went all over the place, including to different publishers. The people who made Skate and Skate 2 were clearly people who loved the sport, its athletes and the brands/culture surrounding it. I'd fear that if they pulled some ragtag devs together to make SK4TE, the heart just wouldn't be there.

I think there's hope for a new game, nonetheless. The sales/popularity boost the game received when PewDiePie played it has been well documented (EA had to start printing fresh copies to keep up with demand) and if you go on EA's Instagrams, every comment just says Skate 4. Yes, it's happening to the point where it's become a meme but I believe there is still a strong fanbase (stronger than Mirror's Edge at least) that would warrant a new game in the series.

Siegmeyer

Both because they aren't even similar other then both using skateboards.

THPS is an arcade game. Skate is a skating simulator, will except 3 that's a "how bad can you crash bro?" simulator, but they are different games for different things.

I love both.

Couldn't agree more with this post. They are about as diverse as two games can be whilst still being considered the same genre, as different as Rocket League and FIFA.

Skating was my life in my teens (early 90s). Sadly too many busted ankles/wrists and friends moving on from it means I no longer skate, though I still follow the culture heavily.

THPS was my jam, played the shit out of that series, but the fun really lies in the high score/crazy lines/collectibles nature of the game. Once I was done with the objectives, the fun of actually skating around wears off pretty fast.

The Skate demo was an absolute gamechanger. The most time I've ever put into a demo by a country mile. They nailed the feeling of actual skateboarding, with a pretty much perfect control scheme. Objectives and scores aren't really necessary for me. The beauty comes from being given an open world playground for you to do what you want. I've still 100% all three Skate games, but I've put way more time into HUDless freeskate, just skating around expressing myself like I did back in my teens. I'd actually be interested if any skater/snowboarder/wakeboarder etc prefers THPS over Skate, as they nailed the feeling so well that unless you know what it feels like it's hard to appreciate.

So it's Skate by a vast, vast amount (specifically Skate 2 - getting off your board was sorely needed, and it has the dam drop-in insanity). The one nagging flaw in all three was how they treated lip tricks on transition - you couldn't ride smoothly out of a grind or slide, you had to ollie back into the ramp, killing the flow.

The_Lump

Banned
THPS2 defined a generation of gamers. Friendships were made and destroyed. Many a first expletive was uttered. An entire summer was lost. Adults today are still struggling to recover from the lack of vitamin D they absorbed as kids that year*

Made that last one up. The rest is true though.

I'd actually be interested if any skater/snowboarder/wakeboarder etc prefers THPS over Skate, as they nailed the feeling so well that unless you know what it feels like it's hard to appreciate.

Yes, me. Because I play games for escapism. If I wanted to 'feel' like I was really skateboarding....I would have gone outside and continued to skateboard :p But I know what you mean. Horses for courses and all that.

I'm better at the Tony Hawk titles so those - okay seriously though I just love the gameplay however Skate is fine too. I'm hoping for the 360 games to be backwards compatible.

THPS, with it's weird maps, guest characters, and overall feeling, is still fun to go back to, and I'll always remember them with terrific fondness.

But Skate (2 specifically) is the better game series. The physics and the controls make the landing tricks actually feel fair and is infinitely more intuitive then remembering a specific button combo. And even though it was more 'grounded', they still knew it was important to have absolutely ridiculous elements, like Danny Way's madhouse skateparks.

I need Skate 4 EA PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Auctopus

The one nagging flaw in all three was how they treated lip tricks on transition - you couldn't ride smoothly out of a grind or slide, you had to ollie back into the ramp, killing the flow.

If they could somehow nail bowl riding/grinding etc. it'd be perfect.

I remember in Skate 1, there were backyard bowls which were great aesthetically but not so great to skate in.

Zooport

Neo Member
THPS on both PSX and PS2 came at a very influential point in my life, just starting high school, the music the genre everything about the game introduced me to a lifestyle. And that can never be topped by any other game.

SKATE is a good game indeed, but it didn't have the influence on my life the way THPS did.

The next game to have that sort of influence on me was GTA Vice City... that era is now the defining era in history for me, I long to be an adult in the 80's. It introduced me to some of the best music ever written as well as introducing me to classic films I had never seen thanks to the many references in the game.

Skate all the way. I played the trilogy to death, I don't think I spent more time with any other games. Ea just nailed the physics, it's too Bad the studio is dead ;(

Top Bottom