• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones will be $60 (only) on PC

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Luckily no $70 price tag (yet) on PC. For folks who wants next gen fidelity with last gen AAA price

5SNJ04u.jpg

Jaybe

A friendly reminder to not expect quality with this one.:

https://www.psu.com/news/skull-bone...due-to-existing-government-subsidy-agreement/
Skull & Bones Reportedly Has To Release This Year 'Due To Existing Government Subsidy Agreement' Skull & Bones is rumored to be launching in November 2022, but regardless of what actually happens, the long-delayed pirate romp apparently has to show up this year due to an 'existing government subsidy agreement.

Edit: this article has more info:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/709868-skull-and-bones-release-date-launch-problems?amp

Last edited:
Did anyone really play Black Flag and think "Man, I wish I could do this with friends. But none of that awful walking around, or exploring, or climbing, or sword fighting!" I guess we're going to find out.

Filben

This is gonna bomb anyway. Way too long in development, overcast by issues and still, what it seems, being rushed to release. Still, I let myself being surprised, more so when this is going to be good.

It's because it's their storefront, so no 30% royalty to first party and they can be flexible on MSRP.

I think they will do the same if this gets out on EGS, because it's 13% there, but on Steam? Not sure, as it's the industry standard 30% there too. IIRC they started releasing all their AAA lineup on Steam again, after being Uplay + EGS only, for the last few years.

wipeout364

It's because it's their storefront, so no 30% royalty to first party and they can be flexible on MSRP.

I think they will do the same if this gets out on EGS, because it's 13% there, but on Steam? Not sure, as it's the industry standard 30% there too. IIRC they started releasing all their AAA lineup on Steam again, after being Uplay + EGS only, for the last few years.
I don’t think they have been launching on steam. I don’t remember Valhalla, or the newest Far Cry ever showing up.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
just a matter of time.
Majority of the sales were on console anyway, so Ubisoft is not going for 70 dollar route on PC for now.
I give it few more years, especially when PC sales gap closing in to console sales.

and skull and bones lol

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

1) Lower sales on PC compared to console
2) Probably a bad game lolz

In general PC prices start the same as console, they just reduce quicker. To try and make the argument that these games need to cost $70 for reasons, but then sell them for $60 on another platform is BS.

Last edited:

Jaybe

So EU payed for it? (even if indirectly). Why the fuck this don't come free with my taxes?
Singapore

Ubisoft Singapore is subsidized by the government for hiring and training new developers. One of the terms for this subsidy is that the studio must launch a game from an original new IP in the next few years after the agreement is signed, and Skull & Bones is running out of time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Dead on arrival.

jaysius

Banned
Wasn't thing thing F2P at one point? If it went from F2P and turned retail, then it's a real rat turd, UBI can't help themselves with monetizing.

Jaybe

Oh sorry I figured that Ubisoft is French, etc. Alright nothing then
Yeah one would think that on the surface. I was surprised too. It sound be interesting how Ubisoft Singapore studio’s first title where they are the lead developer goes…

JackSparr0w

Banned
I general PC prices start the same as console, they just reduce quicker. To try and make the argument that these games need to cost $70 for reasons, but then sell them for $60 on another platform is BS.
Especially since the Ubisoft PC Store takes 30% cut from Ubisoft like Sony and MS do :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I general PC prices start the same as console, they just reduce quicker. To try and make the argument that these games need to cost $70 for reasons, but then sell them for $60 on another platform is BS.
You charge what the market will bear and not what makes neckbeards on NeoGAF happy. PC gamers are likely more price sensitive than console players for whatever reason, therefore you charge less. Remember, businesses want to maximize profits and not farm upvotes on Reddit. Whether or not the product is the same is irrelevant. Identical products have similar price tags in different countries too due to different price sensitivity (which is partly governed by one's income obviously).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You charge what the market will bear and not what makes neckbeards on NeoGAF happy. PC gamers are likely more price sensitive than console players for whatever reason, therefore you charge less. Remember, businesses want to maximize profits and not farm upvotes on Reddit. Whether or not the product is the same is irrelevant. Identical products have similar price tags in different countries too due to different price sensitivity (which is partly governed by one's income obviously).

I guess we'll see what the market bears with this one. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My point wasn't that businesses shouldn't try to make money, it was just about how they like to go out and justify the price increase (development costs, etc.) and then go on to undercut that on a different platform. Be honest in that case, just say "we view console players as simps and think they will pay". Obviously Ubi can charge whatever they want for their games, the BS justifications bother me more than the price increases themselves, tbh.

Last edited:
I guess we'll see the the market bears with this one. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Whether the market will or not is beside the point. Products are mispriced all the time. Your thought process about how pricing comes about was just fundamentally wrong. But that's fine, that applies to pretty much everyone discussing gaming economics online so you're in great company. I would've never guessed that understanding pricing is a super power only a chosen few possess.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1) Lower sales on PC compared to console
2) Probably a bad game lolz
More expensive games on PC have a risk of "Jack Sparow intensifies". On console you have to "swallow it".
If the game is bad than the console versions tend to be worse, as almost always.

DaGwaphics

Looking back at the statements from Ubi it looks like they did just say that they were going to match the prices of the competition. No big justification outside of that, which is fair enough.

Puts pitchfork away.... :messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom