• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

keikaku.jpg

image.php

LuffyZoro

I just got my first taste of actually playing Skullgirls from the Xbox demo, and I liked it. Only having the ability to play as Cerebella and Fillia in Arcade mode was annoying though, because I was a lot better with Cerebella, and would have rather just had her. Still, I'm super looking forward to the PC release.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/magazine/
SG still hanging on even after ten weeks out in Japan. Vampire Resurrection is this week's number one seller. Stay tuned for more bad news from Sven about the franchise!

Salty Cupcakes data Dump(timestamped for your convenience):
Mariel states that they're on schedule for the first time ever. Most Squigly art to be done in four weeks with balancing to take place afterwards
Rich Brown(Big Band VA) and Mariel voted for Eliza. Mariel least interested in Annie. Jon wants to make Annie. Mariel and Jon to have deathmatch over this. Stream thinks Mariel>Jon
Patch delayed past 5/07 again. Completely outside of L0's hands
Rich says stop being a salty baby and vote even if you don't like the top 4. Cut the BS
Rich says you donated to keep LZG employed and making Skullgirls. Quit the chargeback threats. Your tiny % of the total doesn't entitle you to your favorite character. This is for a fighting game made by fighting gamers
Ms.Fortune, Valentine and Double changes
Commentary talking about votes. Eliza and Annie really preferred among some. Mike ants to Minette to serve us. Annie would be very user commentators say. Adam getting shotouts for Monarch henchmen references
Super cards(MvC1 super flash) and snapback color cues shown off for first time. New squigly normals, blocking/pushblock animations, stances/stance cancels and divekick
Mike says they'll probably change GGPO custom delay tool so you can tweak them before every fight in player/lobby matches on PC
Alex and co talk about SG merchandise people would like to see. Marie's canonical age might be around fourteen and Alex has designs for Skullgirl versions of some characters
Some Eliza speculation. Ahad needs Umbrella, Maria and Dhalia necessary to wrap up SG's first arc
Eliza's staff based on exaggerated versions of Egyptian staffs/art. Annie does not bust Skullgirl heads for Canopy Kingdom. Does it on her own
Minette might have a lot of NPC support characters from Little insmouth helping her via moves
Team doesn't know much about Konami/Autumn/Bank situation
Ahad says a feedback thread for Super cards(MvC1 super flash) should be made on Skullheart. Aeon can spin her torso like a top
Eliza's organs might be placed inside four jars. Her blood might temporarily wrap around her staff midfight(?). Ahad would like Annie to have a sort of cosmic "grand viper" that looks like the pillars of creation. Mike has some say in whether or not this happens. Illeum is mostly a pacifist until she is forced to fight
Sagan might be like Nakoruru's hawk and he might molest opponents from the air. Alex thinks it is a funny idea that might happen. Alex talks about his favorite Isaac details and why he wears two watches
We'll get to see a living Squigly in story mode. D.Violet might have lots of Marvel comic styled encounters with SG authorities/criminals. Eliza will be catch-all for Egyptian references so expect MANY. Annie killed many Skullgirls and has had lots of run-ins with Double
Ottomo and B.Dhalia relationship explained. Marie and Alex super excited for Dragon's crown. Peacock canon history discussed
Hive and Leduc were conjoined twins separated at the hip. Explains some of those weird augmentations. Also, Leduc wants to pull an SAO on Hive(DansGame). All Parasites are part of a Ray Romano hivemind. Final stage of SG to be Fetus of Ray Romano LOOOOOOOOL
"Kapowski" is Adam's last name. Super ordinary guy
Staff equipped Eliza might be a heavy "bruiser"

*All gameplay on this stream was at speed 6. Just a bit faster than the default speed 7. Speed 1 is max turbo ST, Speed 6 is MvC2 Turbo and Speed 7 is default Skullgirls.
*Maximillian tuned into the stream while sick to have some back and forth with Rich. Rich and co try to get him to head out to Salty Cupcakes.
*Aquaman in Injustice is the real shit. Nice change from his mainstream perception.
*Any ties for top character in polls will lead to scapegoating someone on the team.
*If Mike and Alex could put a single fighting game cameo character in Skullgirls it would be Hsien-ko. Mike's second choice would be Kim Wu.
*Alex loves God Hand and he hates how the IP was treated all around. Gene should be in MvC3.
*Panzerfaust has a big (literally bigger) sister named Panzerfaustina. Panzerfaust, Hive AND Leduc have rejeted her due to her enormous size.
*Mike had a talk with Eventhubs regarding the Aeon balancing article. Things are okay now?
*New 829k funded shirt is up on Eightysixed. Remember this will be gone by next Thursday!
*Forty-eight new fan designed palettes will come from the IGG campaign. All should be free and separate from the purchasable palettes coming with Xbox patch. News from last week.

I'm never watching another stream so long as I liv... is that Mahvel at NCR? FUCK

Wow! Very comprehensive writeup Solar, really great stuff. I tend to stick around long enough only to see the changes in Squigly / Balance and head to bed but this is fantastic.

Really hearing anything about Eliza / Annie just gets me giddy. The combination pillars of creation on Annie side and the differences between Eliza / Sekhmet just get me really excited.

Day 1 Eliza Strats: Ignore Slow/Bruiser mode, immediately call out Sekhmet and play it like Filia.

Dreavus

AWESOME write up Solar. :)

The salty cupcakes stream is becoming a strangely regular thing for me most Thursday nights. I'm usually the guy who just pokes his head into various streams whenever they are being talked about (FG events and Dota 2), but I often find myself actively waiting for this one.

Thanks for putting the work (I mean holy shit) into that SolarPowered. Tooons of great info. And I thought Annie couldn't be more badass. Squigly continues to looks fantastic. That zombie hop while in dragon stance had me grinning like an idiot.

Dreavus

Thanks for putting the work (I mean holy shit) into that SolarPowered. Tooons of great info. And I thought Annie couldn't be more badass. Squigly continues to looks fantastic. That zombie hop while in dragon stance had me grinning like an idiot.

Yeah, that hop is amazing. Leviathan even brings his head down to cover her face like a charm. Too good.

*Forty-eight new fan designed palettes will come from the IGG campaign. All should be free and separate from the purchasable palettes coming with Xbox patch. News from last week.
I was curious just how many palettes the IGG resulted in, but I didn't expect the number to be so high, this is some cool news to hear!

Now I just have to wait until they release so I can see which few I'll actually get the references to.

Wow! Very comprehensive writeup Solar, really great stuff. I tend to stick around long enough only to see the changes in Squigly / Balance and head to bed but this is fantastic.

Really hearing anything about Eliza / Annie just gets me giddy. The combination pillars of creation on Annie side and the differences between Eliza / Sekhmet just get me really excited.

Day 1 Eliza Strats: Ignore Slow/Bruiser mode, immediately call out Sekhmet and play it like Filia.
AWESOME write up Solar. :)

The salty cupcakes stream is becoming a strangely regular thing for me most Thursday nights. I'm usually the guy who just pokes his head into various streams whenever they are being talked about (FG events and Dota 2), but I often find myself actively waiting for this one.
SolarPowered: god of time stamps
Thanks

I just want to do what I can to keep people interested and I thought this is one way I can help. Centralize the information and get people clicking for the parts that excite them. That is something I can do. It's very different from the scene in the campaign thread and I want to keep it that way. It's a shame the traffic is so low in here, though.
Panzerfaustina should be a stage.
She'd be super uneven between the rock hard abs and mountainous breasts. It'd be like a Pokefloats stage. :p

Azure J

I was randomly checking out the Skullgirls youtube channel and caught a glimpse of someone Saying that a point Eliza team with Molly's support DHCs would be unstoppable. Man, my mind is racing with different ideas that could be done with her.

Eliza/Squiggly - Absolute screen positioning + blood pool strategic placement = We Smash Bros with items on now
Eliza/Peacock or Eliza/Fortune - StriderDoom?
Eliza/Valentine - WISE FWOM YO GWAVE, AGAIN

I really need my Nubian Queen. I wonder what Annie would get from Eliza assists and set ups from previously present blood patches.

Thores

I just want to do what I can to keep people interested and I thought this is one way I can help. Centralize the information and get people clicking for the parts that excite them. That is something I can do. It's very different from the scene in the campaign thread and I want to keep it that way. It's a shame the traffic is so low in here, though.

Thanks to you I've been watching the highlights of Salty Cupcakes every week. I wouldn't have had the time or the patience for the whole thing. I know the thread's been quiet but what you're doing is still way, waaay appreciated!

Why did no one tell me to read the To-Do List recently?

Triple Double Team here I come!

Also, isn't that a console exclusive feature in MvC2? It shouldn't be surprising that you didn't see it much because competitively no one would have been able to use it.

I was randomly checking out the Skullgirls youtube channel and caught a glimpse of someone Saying that a point Eliza team with Molly's support DHCs would be unstoppable. Man, my mind is racing with different ideas that could be done with her.

Eliza/Squiggly - Absolute screen positioning + blood pool strategic placement = We Smash Bros with items on now
Eliza/Peacock or Eliza/Fortune - StriderDoom?
Eliza/Valentine - WISE FWOM YO GWAVE, AGAIN

I really need my Nubian Queen. I wonder what Annie would get from Eliza assists and set ups from previously present blood patches.
You seem to be forgetting about what Annie would offer. Alex said she might shoot lasers out her sword(although I think it would make more sense coming from Sagan's mouth). The first true laser assist would have been a big deal, I think.
Thanks to you I've been watching the highlights of Salty Cupcakes every week. I wouldn't have had the time or the patience for the whole thing. I know the thread's been quiet but what you're doing is still way, waaay appreciated!
Thanks

It's nice to hear all the appreciation.

Loona

Thanks for the timestamps - for all the focus the FGC likes to put on streams, they're just not very viable on a euro tie zone.

I did get a glimpse of it though, and it was nice to find that Valentine can use her flatliner super from her special throw - I tried it, but can't pull it off consistently, and seems to only land a couple of hits on some characters though.

Speaking of Valentine, I'm not sure if this sort of thing can be officially admitted (well, it was surprising to see gameplay inspirations from the competition veing stated so openly in the nystery character page...), but is it me or obe of the Valentine palettes references Ivy from Soul Calibur, a.k.a. Isabella Valentine?

I was looking for a palette where she appeared to bother to protect her legs a bit, so it was interesting to find that, since Ivy's a personal favorite. There seems to be only 1 palette that covers her cleavage a bit though, but I'm not too fond of its colors...

Is there some place where I can check the complete DLC palette packs? On the PSN store I could only see 1 per character...

Speaking of Ivy, some images if Squigly I've seen remind me of her stances in SC2, which is the one game and character where I enjoyed it:
QCB+A -> Venom Lash attack -> keep holding A -> Serpent's Embrace stance -> murder through attacks with nice arena coverage was fun.

It's hard to imagine that working well in 2D gameplay, but if the game pulls it iff, Squigly might actually get my interest, I've been pretty indifferent to her and only bothered to donate when the voting option came up.

Likewise

It was an even fight. It's been months since I last had five consecutive matches in a row thanks to the PS3 wigging out. My new one is working great so far.
You're pretty much the hype machine of SG over here.
I figured I'd put all of my energy into the informative stuff instead of talking about other games. I call it the Chibi approach.

Sorry about leaving at first, Disco. My buttons were messed up. Luckily I kept a saved record of my settings for L1 and L2 on notepad. Not that it helped me much. Congrats on making me legitimately angry.

gg

D:

General -

Skullgirls is a reset heavy game. I don't have to tell you this. The biggest problem with your game in its current state is that you're not really embracing that aspect of the game. If you're ending a combo with a super that doesn't kill your opponent then you've wasted the momentum that you would otherwise have if you were to force your opponent into situations where they have to guess.

Your goal after getting a hit (with some exceptions if you're Peacock and just more comfortable with playing full screen) should be to do a string of resets on your opponent until they're at low enough health where a combo into super will kill them.

Parasoul -

Use the Forward + LP overhead more often as it's faster and harder to react to.

The issue with relying on Back + HK overhead is that if I'm blocking Parasoul I have literally no reason not to block high after you've finished your medium buttons. Either I default to blocking high and end up blocking the overhead or I get swept which leads to 0 damage, the risk reward just isn't there unless you've conditioned your opponent to block low because they're expecting a different move.

You'll find that starting block strings with overheads will be a more effective strategy than ending them with them.

I've mentioned this reset string before but it's something that you're really going to have to consider adding to your arsenal of tricks with the character.

crHP -> jLP jLK jMP -> *whatever*
You can dash under at this point for a crossup, dash under overhead, stay on the same side overhead, you can air grab, you can wait till they land and ground grab, you can bait the air grab with jMK.

If your opponent does not have an airdash this is the point where they can do nothing but guess. Use it and abuse it.

D:

General -

Skullgirls is a reset heavy game. I don't have to tell you this. The biggest problem with your game in its current state is that you're not really embracing that aspect of the game. If you're ending a combo with a super that doesn't kill your opponent then you've wasted the momentum that you would otherwise have if you were to force your opponent into situations where they have to guess.

Your goal after getting a hit (with some exceptions if you're Peacock and just more comfortable with playing full screen) should be to do a string of resets on your opponent until they're at low enough health where a combo into super will kill them.

Parasoul -

Use the Forward + LP overhead more often as it's faster and harder to react to.

The issue with relying on Back + HK overhead is that if I'm blocking Parasoul I have literally no reason not to block high after you've finished your medium buttons. Either I default to blocking high and end up blocking the overhead or I get swept which leads to 0 damage, the risk reward just isn't there unless you've conditioned your opponent to block low because they're expecting a different move.

You'll find that starting block strings with overheads will be a more effective strategy than ending them with them.

I've mentioned this reset string before but it's something that you're really going to have to consider adding to your arsenal of tricks with the character.

crHP -> jLP jLK jMP -> *whatever*
You can dash under at this point for a crossup, dash under overhead, stay on the same side overhead, you can air grab, you can wait till they land and ground grab, you can bait the air grab with jMK.

If your opponent does not have an airdash this is the point where they can do nothing but guess. Use it and abuse it.
Don't mind me. I prefer anger over indifference. The latter is what made me quit Mahvel. Just keep in mind that I've had very little practice so this is me without the warmups. You are in a totally different league compared to everyone else in here lol.

A few more sets and we'll be in a dead 14-14 heat before you know it.

El Sloth

Banned
Am I wrong in feeling that the dudes at Skullheart unneccesarily piled onto this guy? It's, like, yeah he went about expressing his issues pretty poorly, but I don't see as how that's an excuse to just start being dicks to him. It feels like a SG centric version of any typical SRK thread. Which I think is a shame.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive. I've always subscribed to the, "do unto others as you would have others do unto you," approach to the internet.

Nyoro SF

Am I wrong in feeling that the dudes at Skullheart unneccesarily piled onto this guy? It's, like, yeah he went about expressing his issues pretty poorly, but I don't see as how that's an excuse to just start being dicks to him. It feels like a SG centric version of any typical SRK thread. Which I think is a shame.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive. I've always subscribed to the, "do unto others as you would have others do unto you," approach to the internet.

How are you still alive...

Jokes aside the poster of that thread does have a point. I've made beginner lobbies in games that were joined by people that both want to be dicks and people that misjudge their own ability. But complaining there won't change anything. Just restart the lobby or whatever.

Yo, real talk? He was coming off real combative from the start. Zidaine even offered the Cerebella guide in his sig and the guy kept rambling on about phantom top tier players.

Fake Edit: Now he blames the community as a whole. Come on, man... this guy is looking for trouble.

Double Edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Pali(Heavyjugz) is trolling in the beginner rooms. Screeeeeew that guy.

El Sloth

Banned
As for the issues with lobbies; maybe making some sort of more overt skill ranking system that players can see before playing a match would help? For example: An S rank joins a beginner lobby, but the newbie player can see the big shiny S next to their name. That way he can at least choose whether he wants his baptism by fire.

Yo, real talk? He was coming off real combative from the start. Zidaine even offered the Cerebella guide in his sig and the guy kept rambling on about phantom top tier players.

Fake Edit: Now he blames the community as a whole. Come on, man... this guy is looking for trouble.
Zidaine is a bad example since he was pretty much the only one not being confrontational in that thread.

If the dude felt like he was being attacked/called out/etc. it's not strange that he'd focus on the ones being confrontational instead.

I'm not saying the dude is innocent, but the guys posting in that thread shouldn't have to lower themselves to the same level.

That thread makes the place feel unwelcoming.
How are you still alive...
I end up typing up a lot of posts/submissions/comments/whathaveyou only to delete them and never submit them later.

I'm definitely not perfect of course, and have said way too many things I never should have and regretted them afterwards. I guess you could say it's a constant learning process.

As for the issues with lobbies; maybe making some sort of more overt skill ranking system that players can see before playing a match would help? For example: An S rank joins a beginner lobby, but the newbie player can see the big shiny S next to their name. That way he can at least choose whether he wants his baptism by fire.
This needs to happen. Ravi and them were insistent on giving us very little info from the start, but I think this is backfiring. Heavyjugz' SRK handle is Pali iirc and this guy was the one who did a 53 second long combo on someone even after the patch. This guy is trolling beginners like the OP and it has to stop.

Gotta contact Mike somehow to beg him and the UI guy for some visible ranking system of some sort even if only for the PC version. I think this, lobbies and spectator are more important than the super cards or any new balance patches imo. People need to know when the're fighting regular blokes and superhumans like Disco or B tier mutants like myself.
Zidaine is a bad example since he was pretty much the only one not being confrontational in that thread.

If the dude felt like he was being attacked/called out/etc. it's not strange that he'd focus on the ones being confrontational instead.

I'm not saying the dude is innocent, but the guys posting in that thread shouldn't have to lower themselves to the same level.

That thread makes the place feel unwelcoming.
What kind of response can you expect when you see stuff like:

An already unwelcoming game to new players being made even worse by these people. Good job Skullgirls community.
I was blaming the community as a whole, not you are even anyone here specifically. Like I said this happens like 4/5 lobbies, its not isolated instances and I just can't believe people in such an already small community would so willingly destroy any chance of it growing.
I have to go to work soon and I think I'm taking a break from this game for a while anyway. Nothing but bad experiences in game and even worse experiences here.
Bad posts deserve a bad response. Up until then people were blaming Cisco, agreeing with your idea of some sort of visible rank(letter, number or whatever), talking about Mike's Salty Cupcake experimentations at making the IPS stricter or just admitting that it's a bad situation due to a low playerbase. He still kept going with the shitty responses.

I'm sorry but he dug that hole and he doesn't get to walk away scot free without even trying to learn from Zidaine. After that point guys like Midi just gave him the classic SRK response. These guys were downright civil compared to the responses SRK or Dustloop would give him lol.

Lesson: Don't post on Skullheart five minutes after fighting Disco or Pali if you are a legit beginner lol.

El Sloth

Banned
I can understand why they wouldn't want to do something like that though. It'd be no fun as an S tier to constantly have people quit on you before the match even begins. It'd make finding games even harder than it already is (which is arguably one of the reasons better players join beginner lobbies in the first place).

Maybe make the ranks only visible outside of ranked or something? As in, you can see ranks in the more "casual" player lobbies, but not in ranked matchmaking.
Bad posts deserve a bad response. Up until then people were blaming Cisco, agreeing with your idea of some sort of visible rank(letter, number or whatever), talking about Mike's Salty Cupcake experimentations at making the IPS stricter or just admitting that it's a bad situation due to a low playerbase. He still kept going with the shitty responses.

I'm sorry but he dug that hole and he doesn't get to walk away scot free without even trying to learn from Zidaine. After that point guys like Midi just gave him the classic SRK response. These guys were downright civil compared to the responses SRK or Dustloop would give him lol.

Lesson: Don't post on Skullheart five minutes after fighting Disco or Pali if you are a legit beginner lol.
And I guess this is just where we fundamentally disagree.

However, I can see and understand your point. You've convinced me that most of the responses are justified in light of the OP's own and that I'm probably just being overly sensitive (which happens a lot). This is why I wanted to ask this here in the first place, so thanks for the replies.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to do something like that though. It'd be no fun as an S tier to constantly have people quit on you before the match even begins. It'd make finding games even harder than it already is (which is arguably one of the reasons better players join beginner lobbies in the first place).

Maybe make the ranks only visible outside of ranked or something? As in, you can see ranks in the more "casual" player lobbies, but not in ranked matchmaking.

And I guess this is just where we fundamentally disagree.

However, I can see and understand your point. You've convinced me that most of the responses are justified in light of the OP's own and that I'm probably just being overly sensitive (which happens a lot). This is why I wanted to ask this here in the first place, so thanks for the replies.
You should disagree with the bit in bold. I took it a little too far there. The reality of the situation is that we're on the internet so don't expect everyone to be as accommodating. We can't control everyone and I agree some folks in the latter half of the thread could have responded better. You were being surprisingly sensitive at the start now that you mention it lol.

About the bit regarding viewable tiers... I want to know who the S tiers are so I can fight them haha. I always searched out the tough guys in BlazBlue, but I have no idea who is who in Skullgirls' online setup. S tiers are gonna have to roll with the kickings if it does happen to them. They can always come back to Skullheart and the IRC if they want to fight experience players who aren't afraid of getting their asses whooped. I know that is what I'd do if I'm desperate for players.

Kioshen

Too bad the site is down so that I could check out the thread. I do agree that the filters need a little work but not sure how to approach it. With a low player base, it's harder to find somebody at your level especially if you're just starting the game.

There was some definite trolling there coming from a few members of that site but, as mentioned, there were more than a couple of people there trying to legitimately help him. He chose to focus entirely on the negative posts and seemed to disregard any advice coming from anyone that wasn't Zidiane. He came in with a preconceived notion, that the SG community is actively trying to discourage newer players, and gravitated towards posts that supported that notion while disregarding the rest.

It's a shame I think that the thread itself was locked because I think it was a conversation that could have helped both sides understand eachother on the issue.

About the bit regarding viewable tiers... I want to know who the S tiers are so I can fight them haha. I always searched out the tough guys in BlazBlue, but I have no idea who is who in Skullgirls' online setup. S tiers are gonna have to roll with the kickings if it does happen to them. They can always come back to Skullheart and the IRC if they want to fight experience players who aren't afraid of getting their asses whooped. I know that is what I'd do if I'm desperate for players.

S Tier Players (imo) :

Duckator (Filia / Val / Double?)
ThatOneOtherGuy (Val / Filia / Cerebella)
Ciscokid (Peacock / Double)
Guitalex (Fortune / Cerebella)
TJGamer22 (Peacock / Cerebella)
Severin (Parasoul / Cerebella / Double)

A Tier :
Keninblack (Parasoul / Double)
Taluda (Fortune / Cerebella)

That's how I'd rank the more active IRC users.

There was some definite trolling there coming from a few members of that site but, as mentioned, there were more than a couple of people there trying to legitimately help him. He chose to focus entirely on the negative posts and seemed to disregard any advice coming from anyone that wasn't Zidiane. He came in with a preconceived notion, that the SG community is actively trying to discourage newer players, and gravitated towards posts that supported that notion while disregarding the rest.

It's a shame I think that the thread itself was locked because I think it was a conversation that could have helped both sides understand eachother on the issue.
We need a less controversial OP and poster for that to happen. The guy was just going to continue blaming everyone else and people would have gotten more pissed.
S Tier Players (imo) :

Duckator (Filia / Val / Double?)
ThatOneOtherGuy (Val / Filia / Cerebella)
Ciscokid (Peacock / Double)
Guitalex (Fortune / Cerebella)
TJGamer22 (Peacock / Cerebella)
Severin (Parasoul / Cerebella / Double)

A Tier :
Keninblack (Parasoul / Double)
Taluda (Fortune / Cerebella)

That's how I'd rank the more active IRC users.
Want to play?

I would have made it sooner, but stuff. Also, sadly SG dropped off the top ten chart last week in Japan. It's okay though. The game sold a ton of units by it's second week. Ten weeks of noticeable sales is good stuff.

Salty Cupcakes data dump(timestamped for your convenience):
Mike shows off new super cards that change color throughout DHCs. Eight frames of hitstop added to all supers like old Capcom games(cool new stuff for each character and Parasoul is nuts). Undizzy gone this week, but IPS made stricter than ever. Peacock and Parasoul changes discussed. A little more than ten minutes all in all.
Squigly changes shown. All normals are in, divekick properties/combos/cancels discussed and a few super animations shown.
Mariel and Persona explain that they've done most of their work for Squigly. Mike does a lot of stuff so he'll be especially busy from now on.
Mariel wants to run the bracket at EVO. Mike thinks he is gonna get to play(lol). Mike talks about collecting numbers at EVO tournament to keep things organized by texting players.
Alex thinks Horace and Albus showing up in intro or snapback would be neat for Eliza.
Eliza is more like two characters than one. Makes animation a bit challenging. Big Band may need a 3D model because of all the instruments he'll use. Scythana will probably be hunched over while idle to fit in stages. SG's time period is retro future past for the curious(lol).
Squigly jumping normal battle. Looks like Lei Lei vs Lord Raptor in Vampire Savior.
Maximillian enters the stream. Expresses his feelings about Skullgirls after a year long break from the game. SC regulars talked him through the changes.
Max and commentary talk about their arcade experience in California. Red Venoms, Gold War machines and Chunners everywhere. Skullgirls reminds Max of MvC2 before it went crazy. Max is experimenting with Valentine.
BlazBlue talk in this section. It's gets weirder with each sequel(can't judge Phantasma yet). Modern fighters are janky compared to the classics and Daisuke>Mori.
Discussing how to change SG by changing the system and not just making lazy changes. Mike is proud of no infinites in SG. Max thinks UMvC3 was left way too open ended.
Mike talks hitstun deterioration and how changing it effects certain characters. IPS system being tweaked to shorten combos further (not final).
Mike talks balancing and the importance of watching a game evolve. No one ever knows how a game will turn out. World Warrior got a year's worth of testing before it came out. Talk of initial SFIV testing and how important that public testing was.
Max and Mike feel modern SF games are not as active as SF2, 3S and the alpha games. Not a bad thing, but just different.
Player feedback is a game designer's best tool for fighting games. Guilty Gear's strength was catering to a peoples playstyles instead ripping out a character's guts to start from scratch. People like fun and sticking with that is important.
Frasier ending theme for you classy people.

*Super flashes too bright on Mike's dev kit. More tweaking to be done to tone down the bright colors.
*Eight frame hitstun rule applied to snapbacks. They are not blockable on reaction in this build.
*Squigly can cancel her air grabs with divekicks. Super animations still need more work before they are complete.
*No news regarding the xbox patch is good news. Usually that means no rejections have taken place.
*The new Eightysixed limited edition shirt for this week is up. It is the "icons" shirt and it'll only be available for the sixteen hours so make sure to pick yours up before Salty Cupcakes tonight!
*Big Band merchandise is in the works.
*Please don't run adblock when watching Salty Cupcakes. These commercial breaks are helpful, guys. :(
*Yoga stream is the best Yoga move.

Stay tuned for tonight's show. Post moar, lurkers.

Kioshen

You know what, after hearing them talk about the old games I also used to play and explain what they don't like about the newer games it finally clicked for me too. They put what I was feeling about them in words that I couldn't put my finger on it myself. The Max and MikeZ talk was a really fun listen and gave me even more respect for MikeZ.

Thanks again SolarPowered for the time stamps it's incredibly useful. Also thanks DiscoSharks for the tips you gave to SolarPowered because I'm pretty sure it would have applied to me. I'll need to muster some courage and poke you to play SG if I see you next time on PSN.

You know what, after hearing them talk about the old games I also used to play and explain what they don't like about the newer games it finally clicked for me too. They put what I was feeling about them in words that I couldn't put my finger on it myself. The Max and MikeZ talk was a really fun listen and gave me even more respect for MikeZ.

Thanks again SolarPowered for the time stamps it's incredibly useful. Also thanks DiscoSharks for the tips you gave to SolarPowered because I'm pretty sure it would have applied to me. I'll need to muster some courage and poke you to play SG if I see you next time on PSN.
I'll play you if you are still interested.

Also, thanks...

Kioshen

I'll play you if you are still interested.

Also, thanks...

I can't right now since I'm on a lunch break but add me on PSN : Kioshen

Pretty sure my wife will be playing D3 tonight so I'll probably lag a little however :/.

edit:

Was listening to what Alex wanted to do with the bodyguards of Eliza and good lord that Filia rushdown by MikeZ. I'm giving up so much space when I try to play as her compared to him.

All hail SolarPowered, God of Timestamps

Also, if you're still down to play Solar, I'd be glad to go a few if you don't mind. My skills are kinda average though.

Beats

does anyone want to play?

edit:

Spent some time in training mode learning some new stuff. I feel like one of the best things aesthetically about this game is that the characters fit the stage that they're on.

GeekyDad

Just got this other day and started the tutorials yesterday. I gotta say, as a casual-fighting fan, those things are fabulous. I remember studying like I was in school when SSFIV first came out, but this game really wraps many of the core concepts up in a nice, easy-to-digest yet comprehensive package. I was playing through those things and really felt I was learning something. The basics make a lot more sense to me now that the game held my hand through stuff like recovery, mix-ups, etc. Good stuff.

Wish there were more characters, though.

Just got this other day and started the tutorials yesterday. I gotta say, as a casual-fighting fan, those things are fabulous. I remember studying like I was in school when SSFIV first came out, but this game really wraps many of the core concepts up in a nice, easy-to-digest yet comprehensive package. I was playing through those things and really felt I was learning something. The basics make a lot more sense to me now that the game held my hand through stuff like recovery, mix-ups, etc. Good stuff.

Wish there were more characters, though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532890

It's been on the front page constantly for almost a month after the month long epic kickstarter(which has it's own crazy thread).

Also, on the second post right after the OP...
Post release support and updates go here:

3/27/2013 - Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo collects over $829,000 and funds 5 new DLC characters alongside eight new voice packs and seven new stages!

What a month. And what a night!

With one minute left to go, our Indiegogo campaign crossed the $825,000 mark, meaning that there will be a second fan-selected character developed! The tally ultimately settled at an auspicious $829,829 a few minutes after the campaign was over, as the final rush of contributions cleared Paypal.

DLC characters/stages/story modes: Five new DLC characters. Squigly, Big Band, fan voted character #1, Robo Fortune and fan voted character #2. Includes full story mode, stage and theme(new and done by Michiru Yamane) for each new DLC character.

Voice packs: "Republican Double" by Kaiji Tang, Female Announcer by Cristina Vee, "Salty Parasoul" by Erin Fitzgerald, "Drunk Commentator" by Joshua Tomar, "Valley Girl Painwheel" by Danielle McRae, "Saxploitation Big Band" by Rich Brown, "Anime Peacock" by Sarah Williams and "Real Soviet Announcer" by MikeZ

Extras: River King Casino and The Glass Canopy are two new bonus stages

Top Bottom