• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Kioshen

Allright finally got that filia generic bnb somewhat down ! Found what I was doing wrong and it was that after the first launcher I was doing j.LK too fast. It kept the opponent too low the follow up. Now to learn that wheel of options ...

You're not giving yourself enough credit here I think. I felt like you really knew how to deal with Painwheel at this point and combination Pillar assist and utilizing Peacock's double jump / airdash meant you could get out of the corner without much issue. I went for multiple air grabs and you just stayed at a range where I couldnt capitalize effectively.

Just a note, when item drop hits level 2 Painwheel can't fly faster than the Item Drop drop speed. So what this means is if you have an item drop primed at level 2 and a Painwheel is flying at you just let it drop and its a free combo into super.
Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit too modest. I don't know.

You know what I do know? Apparently I have no recorded fights of you and me post patch. That'd be a real interesting set of fights now, I think. I say this not to brag, but because I really like giving people something good to watch. Thanks for the tip on the item drop. I noticed it in my fights against Skyking a while back now that you mention it.

You and me need to get some fights in if I ever collect some nice vampire footage. I've been wanting to diversify my output for a while. That and the PS3 freezing has really stopped our back and forth.

Amaron

Banned
Being mostly a Melty Blood player, I'm kind of lost on how to approach this game. The six button approach and open-combo system are a pretty big change from a four button and fixed combo one.

I'm mostly trying to learn Valentine and Cerabella. Also... it's not wrong to abuse throws with Cera, right? Since she's a grappler and all? I'm only asking because it seems constantly throwing is looked down upon for some reason in most fighters I play.

Anyone mind directing me towards a good starting point? I used to go to skullheart, but it's down right now. The Shoryuken wiki was excellent for learning the system, but nothing for combos or whatnot. Thanks.

Being mostly a Melty Blood player, I'm kind of lost on how to approach this game. The six button approach and open-combo system are a pretty big change from a four button and fixed combo one.

I'm mostly trying to learn Valentine and Cerabella. Also... it's not wrong to abuse throws with Cera, right? Since she's a grappler and all? I'm only asking because it seems constantly throwing is looked down upon for some reason in most fighters I play.

Anyone mind directing me towards a good starting point? I used to go to skullheart, but it's down right now. The Shoryuken wiki was excellent for learning the system, but nothing for combos or whatnot. Thanks.

Damn, stepped straight outta 1994, lol

Throw as much as you can without getting put on blast for it.

also, the #skullgirls irc

Moonlight

Banned
Ugh, I might need to get a fight stick or something. HK being on R2 on the Dualshock is throwing me the hell off and assigning L1 to HK is only slightly better. Anyone have suggestions for something reliable, but not too expensive (relative to fight sticks, anyways)?

NEO0MJ

Ugh, I might need to get a fight stick or something. HK being on R2 on the Dualshock is throwing me the hell off and assigning L1 to HK is only slightly better. Anyone have suggestions for something reliable, but not too expensive (relative to fight sticks, anyways)?

What's your budget? Anyways the Madcatz tournament edition sticks are really good and cost $100.

Moonlight

Banned
I think I'd prefer not to spend more than around sixty or seventy bucks, but my budget is reasonably flexible - it's not something that I'm probably gonna replace in the near future, anyways.

And if I could add another stipulation, it'd be nice if it was cross-compatible with PC. Feel free to ignore this if that's just not possible, though.

NEO0MJ

I think I'd prefer not to spend more than around sixty or seventy bucks, but my budget is reasonably flexible - it's not something that I'm probably gonna replace in the near future, anyways.

And if I could add another stipulation, it'd be nice if it was cross-compatible with PC. Feel free to ignore this if that's just not possible, though.

Did a bit of digging and as Master Milk said, you really can't beat the Mad Catz sticks in price and quality. You don't want to cheapen on this, trust me, and it should work on your PC, too. Currently you have one of these choices, the difference between them is just the art on the top.

MLG

SFxTKN Cross

SFxTKN Line

Moonlight

Banned
This is still your answer, Moonlight.
Did a bit of digging and as Master Milk said, you really can't beat the Mad Catz sticks in price and quality. You don't want to cheapen on this, trust me, and it should work on your PC, too. Currently you have one of these choices, the difference between them is just the art on the top.

MLG

SFxTKN Cross

SFxTKN Line

Checked them out on Amazon.ca, and those price points are floating around 160 dollars. Looks like there's someone local who's selling a Street Fighter 4 Arcade version via Craigslist though. Thanks, dudes.

NEO0MJ

Checked them out on Amazon.ca, and those price points are floating around 160 dollars. Looks like there's someone local who's selling a Street Fighter 4 Arcade version via Craigslist though. Thanks, dudes.

Be careful not to buy the standard version, it doesn't have arcade quality parts. And check to make sure that the buttons inside the stick are sanwa.

Roubjon

I need to buy myself a new FightStick, but I'll just wait until EVO. They usually give out promotional codes for discounts around that time.

Amaron

Banned
I'm in the same predicament as Moonlight. Is it true being new to a stick is like completely relearning how to play fighters?

I'm in the same predicament as Moonlight. Is it true being new to a stick is like completely relearning how to play fighters?

Yes.

Without question you're going to have to go back to baby steps in terms of re-learning the motions and trying to effectively get used to how to hold the stick. The buttons aren't a problem so much as the stick handle itself for the majority of the learning curve. While you're looking for a new stick anyway you may want to consider checking out a Hitbox as well, just to make sure you're exploring every option.

~~~

Went 3 wins and 2 losses at Skullbats today. Both players I lost to had something in common, Valentine -> DP Assist setups. Dealing with that team format is easily my achilles heal at this point. My first loss I was running Filia on point and just got destroyed, second loss I switched it up to Peacock on point and did much better but couldn't clench the last match.

Amaron

Banned
Yes
~~~

Went 3 wins and 2 losses at Skullbats today. Both players I lost to had something in common, Valentine -> DP Assist setups. Dealing with that team format is easily my achilles heal at this point. My first loss I was running Filia on point and just got destroyed, second loss I switched it up to Peacock on point and did much better but couldn't clench the last match.

You're saying they had Valentine but had assists that were set to DP such as Fillia's Updo?

Also, DiscoShark, teachme2skullgirls pls.

You're saying they had Valentine but had assists that were set to DP such as Fillia's Updo?

Also, DiscoShark, teachme2skullgirls pls.

Yeah, the first loss was a guy who was running Valentine (Doesn't matter) - Filia (Up-Do) - Cerebella (Cerecopter) and the second guy was running a team of Parasoul (Napalm Pillar) - Valentine (Doesn't matter) - Filia (Up-Do).

Valentine's primary weakness (lack of defensive options) is covered completed when aided with a DP assist and once that's covered she's an absolute monster with her high priority air normals and superior mobility.

These are good places to start if you're learning SG :
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

Skullgirls Neutral Game
Skullgirls Mixups / Resets

As a rule, when learning combos with your characters, focus on something short and sweet that you can perform 100% of the time then focus on getting used to the various aspects of their moveset.

Amaron

Banned
As a rule, when learning combos with your characters, focus on something short and sweet that you can perform 100% of the time then focus on getting used to the various aspects of their moveset.

Thanks for the links. I'm learning Valentine and so far I got jHP, LK, MK, c HP, j HP, air dash, j MP, j HP, land, j MK, super. I asked around the irc for some help concerning it, and and a fellow named c_wraith said I should put more launchers after I land. I'm not exactly sure how to maximize that potential, and do you see anything wrong with the initial bnb?

Thanks for the links. I'm learning Valentine and so far I got jHP, LK, MK, c HP, j HP, air dash, j MP, j HP, land, j MK, super. I asked around the irc for some help concerning it, and and a fellow named c_wraith said I should put more launchers after I land. I'm not exactly sure how to maximize that potential, and do you see anything wrong with the initial bnb?

It could be solid. Without having tested it myself in training are you able to go from jMK -> Airdash -> jLK?

J.LK is a pretty great air normal for Valentine as it switches the side between her and her opponent once they land, if you can do jMK -> Airdash -> jLK in your combo then you've got an automatic crossup or throw setup.

I wish I could give more advice on the combo side of things but Val is the one character I've yet to really get a grasp on in that regard.

Skullbats huh ? Is it weekly, psn or xbl, is this seeded or something ?

It's a weekly online tournament hosted on PSN, the way its setup is that regardless of win or lose a player always gets to play 5 rounds so its a pretty solid way of playing new people and getting used to a bunch of different matchups.

Kioshen

It's a weekly online tournament hosted on PSN, the way its setup is that regardless of win or lose a player always gets to play 5 rounds so its a pretty solid way of playing new people and getting used to a bunch of different matchups.

Is it always around that time ? I'll probably try to enter next time even though I know that I'll go 0-5 for a bunch of weeks because I need that match experience.

Beats

Seeing how Injustice has frame data in training mode/command list, has anyone asked Mike Z yet if he'd be willing to implement that in SkullGirls?

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/magazine/
SkullgirlsJapaneseweek7_zpsb2ad93b0.jpg
Chugging along quietly. Man, I look at stuff like Jojos and Guilty Gear and I can see the benefit of anime ties and arcade ports. The stuff does wonders for the health of an IP over there. Skullgirls would be unstoppable if it had some sort of multi-language Webcomic or arcade release.
Just like movelists weren't a priority, frame data likely isn't either.
Does anyone know if wakeup timings are different per character in Skullgirls? I find that my wakeup pressure in SG is pretty solid, but maybe I could improve more there. The lack of frame data for punches, grabs and most of the supers doesn't really hurt me much.

Summary of Salty Cupcakes :
*Note - Any balance changes are fluid and not entirely representative of what'll show up in the game. They're very much in a beta test state

General
Mike is tired of WingZero winning every Salty Cupcakes, tournament will now be bi-weekly and with an entrance fee to provide incentive for people to actually try and to get Salty Cupcakes to shift focus back to the actual game. Salty Cupcakes will still be a weekly event, this is just how the tournament format is going to be setup from now on.

360 Patch
Mike's been working on the 360 patch - presumably its passed testing with Konami and is now ready to be re-re-re-re-resubmitted to Microsoft for the final time. Begin two week timer now.

Build of the Week
System -
  • Implimented undizzy value in training mode to track amount.
  • Undizzy value does not increase until Stage 3 of IPS in a combo.
  • Instead of flying you out of the combo, undizzy triggering now gives you the ability to IPS burst.

Ms. Fortune -
  • LK Fiber Upper has increased invincibility, no follow up. This change is centered around making the move a purely "get off me" instead of an all in one invincible move and combo starter. This is compounded with the already set in stone changes of the move having significantly more recovery on block.
  • Ms. Fortune loses airdash while headless.

Cerebella -
  • Holding the MK followup after her Run now gives you the current version of the followup where she runs behind and throws her hands up in the air for the wallbounce
  • Not holding MK and just tapping it instead will have her quickly crossup her opponent. This move looks VERY good as there's next to no recovery on the crossup itself. Pretty huge buff if it stays in.

Peacock -
  • Bomb cancels are now handled like Parasoul tears where you can just tap the next button instead of having to do the motion over again. Buff for ease of use.
  • Ciscokid edition style bomb cancels, Peacock can still throw out 3 bombs but cant throw out any other bombs until all have disappeared. MikeZ threw this in to demonstrate how bad this idea would be if implimented.

--------

Boom!

Honestly I think the Ms.Fortune losing airdash while headless is a good one. In respects to her neutral game Ms. Fortune is basically the same character + Head pressure when her head is removed from her shoulders, making her already strong IAD pressure and neutral game an even bigger threat. The change does more to differentiate the style of character Ms. Fortune becomes when her head is off and becomes rather more like a completely different stance for the character, what she loses in mobility she gains in ground based pressure and full screen hitconfirms. Headless Fortune with this change is no longer Head-On Fortune + 1 effectiveness.

Peacock one button Bomb cancels are a god send and will probably do a lot to lower the barrier of entry for the character.

NEO0MJ

Movelists were a priority, we just ran out of time. :p

It seemed like such a simple thing to add, though. But hey, a lot of supposedly easy things turn out to be difficult in the end. Even if you had no interest in playing it this game was an eye-opener when it came to developing games.

Dachande

Anyone in the UK (or even somewhere in western Europe) playing on PSN these days? It takes me ages to find a game and all of them have 150+ pings so far. :( I was hoping it'd be busier than this!

Anyone in the UK (or even somewhere in western Europe) playing on PSN these days? It takes me ages to find a game and all of them have 150+ pings so far. :( I was hoping it'd be busier than this!

I regularly play someone from the UK (MrMemberston , he can be found in the SG IRC as MrPeck) with little lag between us. If you don't mind playing someone from the East Coast of the US then I'm always down for matches.

PSN is DiscoShark

Dachande

I regularly play someone from the UK (MrMemberston , he can be found in the SG IRC as MrPeck) with little lag between us. If you don't mind playing someone from the East Coast of the US then I'm always down for matches.

PSN is DiscoShark

Cool, I'll add you at some point tonight. I don't have a mic though, just so you know. (And you'll probably wreck me)

Kioshen

PSN is DiscoShark

I still haven't gone around and practice a couple of setups but I'll send you messages if you don't mind. I'm in north east canada should we should have a good connection going.

Ken

Does anyone play on XBL? Planning on starting to learn the game when Skullhearts is back up and wouldn't mind having someone to play.

J-Tier

I really hope that Big Band works out the way they initially described it. I know it'd be tough, but the idea of improv jazz occurring as you combo is just too sick of an idea to let go. As his name implies, it would be really rockin' (or jazzin') if his moveset creates tunes that are in line with the Swing era of the 30s-40s America. I expect to hear the chaotic harmonies of saxophones, trumpets, trombones, drums, bass, piano and the like.

Dachande

Hey, DiscoShark, it says you've reached the maximum amount of friends and I can't add you. :( Add me if you want: Dache (and anyone else can too if they want, just mention you're from GAF and say who you are if your PSN name is different...)

Hey, DiscoShark, it says you've reached the maximum amount of friends and I can't add you. :( Add me if you want: Dache (and anyone else can too if they want, just mention you're from GAF and say who you are if your PSN name is different...)

D'Oh! I really wish the PS3 gave an indication when you maxed out on friends, did some Spring Cleaning in my friends list and shot you an invite. Sorry for that.

lncEoJul.jpg

You have earned a trophy.
trophy_bronze.png
12 Months Later & We Still In This

Haha, that's fantastic. Hard to believe its only been a single year since the game's release. Definitely my definitive fighter of 2012 and with the stream of constant updates coming in for 2013 it will probably be my most played FG this year as well.

--------

Wanted to highlight this set between Severin (Parasoul, Cerebella, Double) and Duckator (Filia, Valentine, Double) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjI5DuHKLA

Very innovative Cerebella and Parasoul combos and resets on Sev's side and while Duckator's play may not be as innovative he does show how and why Valentine x DP assist is as effective it is in the current game, you cannot fault his solid play. Check it out.

I just realized a good use for that polling information from the first round of voting.

How do you most often play Skullgirls?
スカルガールズをプレイする際、どのように一番よくプレイしていますか?

Single Player / シングルプレイヤー : 41.5%
Local Multiplayer / ローカルマルチプレイヤー : 32.0%
Online Multiplayer / 通信マルチプレイヤー : 26.5%

Gotta remember to suggest multiple characters on the same team again after the PC version comes out. I need my Triple Double team

Ultimadrago

Mike Z has just announced that the Xbox 360 patch is now certainly due for two weeks on tonight's Salty Cupcakes.

The DLC colors across all platforms will finally be able to be released afterwards.

Ravidrath

Mike Z has just announced that the Xbox 360 patch is now certainly due for two weeks on tonight's Salty Cupcakes.

The DLC colors across all platforms will finally be able to be released afterwards.

Just the clarify on the 360 patch...

It's two weeks if it passes submission. Of course we don't expect it to fail, but you never know.

Top Bottom