• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

So... what did you think of those games before the stupid PS3 froze, Disco? I barely play that much because of my worries that it'll shut down, but I feel like I have a sort of internal rhythm with this game now. Only Vampire and Skullgirls affects me like this.

Also, nothing has changed. Your Painwheel makes my Peacock shrink like a turtle receding into it's shell.
Week number six for the Japanese release of Skullgirls on PSN and still holding steady in the top 5. Jojos is all over the place lmao.

SkullgirlsJapaneseweek6_zps001482c2.jpg

So on the off chance there are any NYC based Skullgirls fans here looking for people to play in person: http://skullheart.com/forums/index.php?threads/nyc-sg-community.225/

This is my attempt at fostering some sort of scene here in the city. Basically, I'm trying to set up a semi-regular biweekly/fortnightly meet up for some pure casual skullgirls playing fun. And maybe in the far future, if we get a regular enough group of folks to show up, lobby to have a SG tournament included in Savage Saturdays or what have you.

The date for the next meetup is still subject to change, but for the moment it's March 30th, next Saturday, at Next Level in Brooklyn.

Fair warning: The last time I set this up roughly ~5 people confirmed to show and in the end it only ended up being me and one other guy (which was fine by me since I never had to give up the controller lol).

Even if you don't live in NYC I'd still appreciate it if you guys could spread the word to any other places that you know Skullgirls players post (I only know about here, Skullheart, and /r/Skullgirls on reddit)!
I'll be there so long as I don't get sick. I've literally felt like shit for half this winter. It's insane because I'm normally a tank during this time of the year. I haven't been able to go anywhere while having to deal with my annoying classes.
I see....
I'm seeing spotlights, music and sexy shadows.

So... what did you think of those games before the stupid PS3 froze, Disco? I barely play that much because of my worries that it'll shut down, but I feel like I have a sort of internal rhythm with this game now. Only Vampire and Skullgirls affects me like this.

Also, nothing has changed. Your Painwheel makes my Peacock shrink like a turtle receding into it's shell.

You're not giving yourself enough credit here I think. I felt like you really knew how to deal with Painwheel at this point and combination Pillar assist and utilizing Peacock's double jump / airdash meant you could get out of the corner without much issue. I went for multiple air grabs and you just stayed at a range where I couldnt capitalize effectively.

Just a note, when item drop hits level 2 Painwheel can't fly faster than the Item Drop drop speed. So what this means is if you have an item drop primed at level 2 and a Painwheel is flying at you just let it drop and its a free combo into super.

Roubjon

Dammit Disco, I wanted to play you again because I learned some new shit with Cerebella and how not to suck with Peacock, but now that my Spring break is over I don't even have access to my PS3. Only sometimes on the weekends I'll be able to play.

This blows.

I think I'm going to seriously pick up a secondary team, Parasoul / Painwheel / Cerebella. I'm messing around with Painwheel's QCF+LK assist as combo extension and reset setups. Cerebella I can go either Lock N Load or Cerecopter, and with Parasoul I'm throwing out Napalm Pillar.

Does the color dlc even exist on PS3 ? I just can't find it :/.

Nope! Due to Microsoft restrictions we won't be getting DLC colors until the patch is out on 360 as well. It was available shortly on EU PSN due to a mistake but that's about it.

Dammit Disco, I wanted to play you again because I learned some new shit with Cerebella and how not to suck with Peacock, but now that my Spring break is over I don't even have access to my PS3. Only sometimes on the weekends I'll be able to play.

This blows.

No worries, I'm not going anywhere.
:p

El Sloth

Banned
I'll be there so long as I don't get sick. I've literally felt like shit for half this winter. It's insane because I'm normally a tank during this time of the year. I haven't been able to go anywhere while having to deal with my annoying classes.
Oh fuck, I forgot to fix that post:

The next session is March 29th this Friday. Some people had mentioned to me that Friday would be a better day for them, so I wanted to see if there really was any noticable differrence in the number of people who show up. Right there's at least 4 of us confirmed for sure.

Kioshen

Nope! Due to Microsoft restrictions we won't be getting DLC colors until the patch is out on 360 as well. It was available shortly on EU PSN due to a mistake but that's about it.

Well that's a bummer :(. Thanks for the heads up I won't waste time searching for it until the patch comes out.

I know they won't, but they should just ditch MS after all these crap.

I hope a lot of people jumps to PC, Steam would let them update the game all they want.

shaowebb

6dlumED.png

YOU DID IT! !

You asked for $150k ...you got $829,829!!!!!!!

There is so much content that this will add to the meta that this is a whole nother' game now! Congrats Lab Zero! You guys are heroes to the FGC. Your team was embraced so strongly by the gaming world with its dedication to its product and its fan that when you asked for help growing the product you created for them to enjoy they not only responded but flooded your campaign the world over on forums to get you as much funding as possible.

You deserve this moment Lab Zero. Congratulations. You carry the dreams that live in every fighting game fan that hope to see their own visions take form someday. Your success brings us all hope and we thank you for proving that hard work and dedication to such dreams will indeed be met with support from the consumers. Hopefully this draws in more clients to your studio and that we get to see many more visionary products from you in the future.

In any event...thank you for caring about your dream enough to keep it alive after all you've been through. :)

Kioshen

The only thing that I hope Lab Zero gets more out of this fund drive is not more money at this point but players. I'm kinda busy with my group of friends with Borderlands 2 but I'll be trying to wrap my head around this game and find at least one character I like to play with and up the player count online at least. As much as I like to play any SF or Marvel I'll try to put them aside and dedicate myself to Skullgirls.

El Sloth

Banned
God, I feel so guilty using Double's roundhouse buttslam assist with Peacock.

I shouldn't seeing as how it's not the unstoppable buttocks of death anymore, but I can't help myself.

Kioshen

Peacock and Double seems like BFFs but are there other characters that I could pair up with her that could work with her zoning ?

Peacock and Double seems like BFFs but are there other characters that I could pair up with her that could work with her zoning ?

Yes.

Parasoul + Bike
Cerebella + Lock N Load H

Both very solid choices for Peacock assists. Lock N Load H is probably more of a multipurpose assist that deals with getting people off of you as well as working as a shield against other projectiles and mid-range moves, it's not invincible but because of its armor it often beats other invincible assists. Parasoul Bike is useful because its connecting means your opponent is flung to the other side of the screen and forced to reset the situation, you also can't crouch a Parasoul Bike at midscreen like you can with Double Butt.

If you play TJGamer22 in the Skullgirls IRC hes probably the best example of how scary Peacock + Cerebella Lock N Load is ... and how it well it counters a Peacock + Double team.

El Sloth

Banned
Any invincible anti-air assist is great help (Parasoul's pillar, Filia's shoryuken, fortune's fiber uppercut, etc.)

I especially like Fortune's hk fiber uppercut because of the unique angle it covers above Peacock's head. It's also great for potential higher level shenanigans, for example: alpha counter into Fortune to escape pressure, if it hits then Fortune has the ability to turn that into a full combo. If it doesn't hit, then Fortune still has the ability to escape using the same method (pressing the button again launches her into the air).

Cerebella's anti air grab or spinning move aren't bad ideas either.

Assists that push the opponent back like Double's buttslam. There's Painwheel rev up/sonic the hedgehog move thing and, I'm not too sure about this one, but I think Cerebella's f.hp might do the same. Filia's hairball maybe? Preferablly the one that angles a bit upwards.

Projectiles assists to help cover the gap between some of Peacock's moves. Painwheel's needles, Valentine's syringes (although they need to be loaded first), and Parasoul's tears. I personally like Parasoul's hp tear for it's speed. Parasoul also has different cool DHC oppurtunies, like Peacock's laser into Parasoul's level 3.

Apologies for any grammatical mistakes or anything that doesnt make sense as I'm on mobile.

Edit: Completely forgot about Parasoul's bike. Great assist. Also gives you an oppurtunity to set up homing item drop > super > level 3 drop.

Any invincible anti-air assist is great help (Parasoul's pillar, Filia's shoryuken, fortune's fiber uppercut, etc.)

I especially like Fortune's hk fiber uppercut because of the unique angle it covers above Peacock's head. It's also great for potential higher level shenanigans, for example: alpha counter into Fortune to escape pressure, if it hits then Fortune has the ability to turn that into a full combo. If it doesn't hit, then Fortune still has the ability to escape using the same method (pressing the button again launches her into the air).

Cerebella's anti air grab or spinning move aren't bad ideas either.

Assists that push the opponent back like Double's buttslam. There's Painwheel rev up/sonic the hedgehog move thing and, I'm not too sure about this one, but I think Cerebella's f.hp might do the same. Filia's hairball maybe? Preferablly the one that angles a bit upwards.

Projectiles assists to help cover the gap between some of Peacock's moves. Painwheel's needles, Valentine's syringes (although they need to be loaded first), and Parasoul's tears. I personally like Parasoul's hp tear for it's speed. Parasoul also has different cool DHC oppurtunies, like Peacock's laser into Parasoul's level 3.

Apologies for any grammatical mistakes or anything that doesnt make sense as I'm on mobile.

Edit: Completely forgot about Parasoul's bike. Great assist. Also gives you an oppurtunity to set up homing item drop > super > level 3 drop.

Yeah, solid advice for sure. No doubt ANY invincible assist is a great asset to Peacock if you've found yourself in any situation where you're being pressured by your opponent, as soon as you see it hit it becomes a free argus agony and a reset of the situation. Sloth did a great job explaining the advantages of disadvantages of each I think.

As a note though, only aerial Filia Hairballs can move upwards and you can't bind air moves as assists. :p

Another advantage of going Cerebella as your assist is the alpha counter opportunities when you get 2 meters as well. You can immediately alpha counter -> Cerebella Command Grab Super -> Combo for some really nice damage. It's pretty dirty.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, solid advice for sure. No doubt ANY invincible assist is a great asset to Peacock if you've found yourself in any situation where you're being pressured by your opponent, as soon as you see it hit it becomes a free argus agony and a reset of the situation. Sloth did a great job explaining the advantages of disadvantages of each I think.

As a note though, only aerial Filia Hairballs can move upwards and you can't bind air moves as assists. :p

Another advantage of going Cerebella as your assist is the alpha counter opportunities when you get 2 meters as well. You can immediately alpha counter -> Cerebella Command Grab Super -> Combo for some really nice damage. It's pretty dirty.
That's what I get for assuming things! I could have sworn there was one that lifted her up into the air a bit though. Still, I'm sure the heavy version would be nice for pushing people away.

Never heard about that Cerebella tech before! Makes sense that would be a thing though. Man, that's scary.

Has anyone ever experimented with her run before? It's a less useful screen than lock & load, but there could be some pretty interesting alpha counter uses against other zoners.

That's what I get for assuming things! I could have sworn there was one that lifted her up into the air a bit though. Still, I'm sure the heavy version would be nice for pushing people away.

Never heard about that Cerebella tech before! Makes sense that would be a thing though. Man, that's scary.

Has anyone ever experimented with her run before? It's a less useful screen than lock & load, but there could be some pretty interesting alpha counter uses against other zoners.

I played against someone that used the HK Run as an assist with Peacock. Shit would push you clear across the screen unless you made a concentrated effort to hit stop it.

I played against someone that used the HK Run as an assist with Peacock. Shit would push you clear across the screen unless you made a concentrated effort to hit stop it.

I think we must have played the same someone, it was really jarring to see that assist being used because most of the time when I see Cerebella assist I block by reflex while awaiting either anti-air grab or Cerecopter. Having RUN as the assist played with my head for a while.

At a certain point I just started ignoring it completely, benefits of an airdasher I suppose, just cruised right on over it.

I think we must have played the same someone, it was really jarring to see that assist being used because most of the time when I see Cerebella assist I block by reflex while awaiting either anti-air grab or Cerecopter. Having RUN as the assist played with my head for a while.

At a certain point I just started ignoring it completely, benefits of an airdasher I suppose, just cruised right on over it.

Probably. I use Peacock, so it wasn't really that effective against me. I don't mind being on the other side of the screen. But that first game had me Double taking. >_>

El Sloth

Banned

That's really rad. I love the creativity that custom assists encourage. Sounds like run could make for an interesting gimmick after conditioning a player to always block when he sees Cerebella come out. Assist mind games!

Kioshen, you should also consider just experimenting and playing around with different moves and lesser seen assists.

Running through that video second by second and transcribing every combo and noting everything Cisco is doing is probably the best reference for how to play Peacock you're going to find with SH still down.

And hit up the IRC irc.mizuumi.net #skullgirls

Beats

GGs Disco.

I need to get some new Filia stuff lol. Sorry about the first few matches. My consoles are hooked up to my capture card and I think something was bugging out so I had to switch some cables.

GGs Disco.

I need to get some new Filia stuff lol. Sorry about the first few matches. My consoles are hooked up to my capture card and I think something was bugging out so I had to switch some cables.

GGs man. Yeah Filia is an absolute reset machine and she has just tons and tons and tons of options after she gets a hit. Take some of my juice!

Crossups :

Launcher -> Grounded Hairball HK -> Fenrir Drive*
Launcher -> jHP -> jLP -land - Dash forward
Launcher -> jMK (1 hit) -> j.Hairball HK -> Airdash forward -> jLP
Launcher -> jLP jLK jMK (1hit) Airdash forward -> jLP jLK -land- Dash forward

Anything with dash forward on the ground can be made into a fake crossup by just forgoing that option.

*Because Fenrir Drive has like ... 0 frame startup if they arent blocking by the time you activate they're immediately hit by it, great way to reset and end a character

3 Way Setup :
Launcher -> jLK -> jMP -> jMK (2 hits) -> airdash forward -> jLP -> jLK -land- stLP
From here you can :
1. Grab
2. Low
3. Instant Airdash jHK for overhead / crossup

And really, start abusing DP -> Air Gregor Samson. Pretty much the best way to interrupt your opponent's momentum and turn the tide of the match in your favor.

Also you can cancel Ringlet Spike into Gregor Samson for a combo, best way to convert off of an opponent that's gotten comfortable zoning.

Kioshen

Thanks for the tips and suggestion for Peacock guys really appreciate it !

Kioshen, you should also consider just experimenting and playing around with different moves and lesser seen assists.

Right now I'm totally blank as to whom I want to play in skullgirls. I usually just want to chuck plasma in SF but I also like to rushdown once in a while to change it up. I looked at Filia but she's the one character that if you want to maximize damage you have to learn all those character specific combos :/. I was looking at Peacock then, maybe Cerebella cuz why not learn a grapple and then maybe Valentine because she's very versatile and seems to have an answer to anything.

Leave it to me to be undecided in a very limited roster fighting game.

Thanks for the tips and suggestion for Peacock guys really appreciate it !

I looked at Filia but she's the one character that if you want to maximize damage you have to learn all those character specific combos :/. I was looking at Peacock then, maybe Cerebella cuz why not learn a grapple and then maybe Valentine because she's very versatile and seems to have an answer to anything.

Regarding Filia needing character specific combos ... not really actually.

Anything -> HP -> jLK jMP jMK (2hits) Airdash forward jMP jHK (timed in such a way as to get a restand) -> Anything -> HP -> Fenrir Drive (DP Super)

That combo works on literally every single member of the cast.

The point of Filia really isn't so much to do the maximum damage possible but instead to continually keep your opponent off balance and guessing in different situations and she is AMAZING at that. Your better served with Filia in learning the different ways she can reset an opponent than to bother with character specific combo strings that leave you or your opponent in a neutral position. My post above pretty much gives anyone the foundation they need with Filia to do whatever the hell they want with their opponent once they get a hit so don't feel intimidated by whatever long combo strings people post with the character.

Just play with everyone really, you never know what character you may just have a natural inclination with.

:p

Kioshen

Yeah I missed your post earlier since I didn't refresh the page before I posted. I guess I'll try Filia again since she looks like a miniature Magnus + Ryu. Is she viable as a single character ?

Edit : I honestly just want to learn the bare minimum and play against people so that string looks simple enough with a bunch of options out of it. I'm tired of just hanging out in training mode and never fight because I always think I'm never prepared enough.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah I missed your post earlier since I didn't refresh the page before I posted. I guess I'll try Filia again since she looks like a miniature Magnus + Ryu. Is she viable as a single character ?

Edit : I honestly just want to learn the bare minimum and play against people so that string looks simple enough with a bunch of options out of it. I'm tired of just hanging out in training mode and never fight because I always think I'm never prepared enough.
Hop online and don't be afraid of losing! Think about it this way: Every loss is just more experience shaping you into a better player.

I really wish that I could say GGs, Disco, but I'm just so ashamed of myself right now. I've been playing Painwheel for months, and I couldn't keep up with yours. You executed everything I've been trying to do for weeks, and made it look so smooth; I let out an audible "FUCK" before I caught myself.

And then a few matches after that I get farther with Filla and Cerebella than I ever had with Painwheel/anyone.

And then the madness started.

So I will say 'thank you for the matches' instead, and leave it at that.

I really wish that I could say GGs, Disco, but I'm just so ashamed of myself right now. I've been playing Painwheel for months, and I couldn't keep up with yours. You executed everything I've been trying to do for weeks, and made it look so smooth; I let out an audible "FUCK" before I caught myself.

And then a few matches after that I get farther with Filla and Cerebella than I ever had with Painwheel/anyone.

And then the madness started.

So I will say 'thank you for the matches' instead, and leave it at that.

D:

Painwheel can be a tough nut to crack, like Filia she's a character who's potential isn't really unlocked until you're able to get a hit on your opponent and then only if you understand the nature of her mixup game and why she's so powerful when she gets it started. Unlike Filia however she doesn't deal with pressure very well at all so a Painwheel v. Painwheel matchup is going to almost always come down to who can get the positive momentum first and capitalize on it.

What makes Painwheel so scary, and what ultimately you should be focusing on when playing her, is the ferocity of her mixup game. Painwheel may not be the best character in the game when it comes to her neutral but she easily becomes a force of nature after she gets her first hit. At any point of a combo she can create a 50/50 Grab/Low string, she can double up on overheads, and she can crossup her opponent. Knowing when and where you can throw these situations at an opponent and being able to mix up the specific timings in a combo where you can do this is going to be key to becoming effective with the character. Ignore the longer combos because with as many options she has to throw a curve ball at the opponent you don't need them.

Also stHK (2 hits) cancelled into Fly cancelled into either an overhead jMP or crossup jHK is hella cheap and no one sees it coming ever. Abuse it!

~~~~

Regarding assist choice ...
Cerebella's DP+MP assist is probably the worst DP assist in the entire game. Of all the assists you could choose from Cerebella's repertoire this is probably one of the weakest and it probably does the least in terms of helping cover Painwheel's main weakness, the fact that she can't deal with pressure. I'd suggest anything from Cerecopter, Lock N Load H, or Excellebella (DP+Throw) as alternatives to DP+MP. Your opponent has to be literally on top of Cerebella in order for DP+MP to be effective.

~~~~

As for the madness ... I blame this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zMxaMT0su4

... and this
Fugazi!

And I apologize.

Kioshen

Hop online and don't be afraid of losing! Think about it this way: Every loss is just more experience shaping you into a better player.

I just did that and holy molly this game is fun. Managed to only find one ranked matches that I blew away the other guy but then I found a dude that I played for around 30 matches in lobby mode before I had to call it quits. The guy was around my level so I managed to experiment a little with characters. I definitely like Filia and Valentine.

I couldn't manage to do Discoshark's combo on Valentine in training mode however. I can't seem to hit the second j.MP fast enough after dash canceling the j.MK.

I couldn't manage to do Discoshark's combo on Valentine in training mode however. I can't seem to hit the second j.MP fast enough after dash canceling the j.MK.

How the combo should look like.

Just a smooth transition from jMK to jMP, shouldn't even be able to see the dash itself most of the time. Quick question, how are you executing the dash itself in the combo? Are you pressing forward twice or just pressing 2 Punch buttons. It's much easier to just press 2 punch buttons at the same time I find, if you're on pad I'd suggest setting a macro to 2 punch on one of the triggers so executing dashes and air dashes becomes much easier.

Are the home console versions getting lobbies/spectating?

From what Ravid's said yes, the home console versions will eventually be getting lobbies / spectating. We'll probably hear more around the time Squigly's ready to be shipped out.

There are three colors to unlock, one by beating story with a character, one by beating arcade and one by playing 25 vs matches.

Four*

And one unlocked by inputting the Konami code at the controller select screen in local matches.
http://youtu.be/7RNQNj0_3Xg

Kioshen

How the combo should look like.

Just a smooth transition from jMK to jMP, shouldn't even be able to see the dash itself most of the time. Quick question, how are you executing the dash itself in the combo? Are you pressing forward twice or just pressing 2 Punch buttons. It's much easier to just press 2 punch buttons at the same time I find, if you're on pad I'd suggest setting a macro to 2 punch on one of the triggers so executing dashes and air dashes becomes much easier.

Oh man this video is a gold mine of info thanks a lot ! I would have liked to have that assist when playing that dude yesterday since he kept running away (into the corner for some fun but still).

I use LM to dash but I was not doing it fast enough according to your description. Visually from the video I understand better what I was doing wrong and I'm using a stick so yes it's way easier doing two buttons presses :).

Guys, are there any DLC colors for the game?
Those are not gonna be available until the 360 patch releases, since Microsoft has it where the product must be released on 360 simultaneously or they won't ever allow them on the store. Basically, if the colors were to be released now on PS3 (since the patch/dlc color support is available on that console) but not on 360 (since no patch and color support), Microsoft won't allow them to sell the product on the marketplace, due to it being exclusive content not on their system.

VariantX

Those are not gonna be available until the 360 patch releases, since Microsoft has it where the product must be released on 360 simultaneously or they won't ever allow them on the store. Basically, if the colors were to be released now on PS3 (since the patch/dlc color support is available on that console) but not on 360 (since no patch and color support), Microsoft won't allow them to sell the product on the marketplace, due to it being exclusive content not on their system.

I guessing this rule goes out the window for big pubs they can't afford to push around since batman had extra joker missions on PS3 im assuming.

I guessing this rule goes out the window for big pubs they can't afford to push around since batman had extra joker missions on PS3 im assuming.

I'd guess the Joker missions being PS3 exclusive was probably a deal done with Sony more than anything else. But if in some hypothetical situation they actually tried to release the Joker pack later on 360, they wouldn't be allowed to since that pack was on PS3 first.

Top Bottom