• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ixian

It's kind of awesome to see that Zone is still kicking around; I remember seeing some of that guy's work over ten years ago.

Damn, dropped to 4th?

The three games above us are full-priced games, right? So I expect them to drop quickly.

We just finished up an interview for Famitsu.com, so hopefully that helps get the word out a bit more, too.
Just saw the interview. Google translate isn't the best, but they are definitely heaping the praise on the game like never before. The second half looks like it goes into the technical stuff too. Hopefully it gives the game a second wind. March has got to be your team's lucky month.

anybody want to play?

I'm down if you haven't found anyone else.

-------

I'd also recommend people join the Skullgirls IRC Chat :
http://skullheart.com/forums/index.php?link-forums/irc-chat.43/
irc.mizuumi.net #Skullgirls

Pretty much the best place if you're looking for matches with other players at any given time.

Zone being involved in anything having to do with Skullgirls can only end awesomely. Also sexily.

Good to see you here Duckie!

Edit : Sony Maintenance? lol.

Ravidrath

Just saw the interview. Google translate isn't the best, but they are definitely heaping the praise on the game like never before. The second half looks like it goes into the technical stuff too. Hopefully it gives the game a second wind. March has got to be your team's lucky month.

You mean the review I linked on the SkullgirlsJP Twitter?

Wait, a recent interview was with Big Band's VA was rejected because the guy running the magazine is mad that you called him on his bs a few years ago?

Debated making a full thread for it, but decided against it... for now.

Anyway, back in 2009 I made this post about EGM's reemergence.

EGM conducted an interview with Rich Brown, but Steve Harris vetoed it based on that NeoGAF post. So I guess all future Skullgirls coverage in EGM is off because of that.

How do you know that it was the NeoGAF post that was the primary reason for vetoing it? Unless you have something more solid to back up the claim it probably wouldn't be good idea to draw a huge amount of attention to it. Seems odd to have a 4 year old grudge over an offhand remark on a forum. Excuse me for being skeptical about the situation.

Ravidrath

How do you know that it was the NeoGAF post that was the primary reason for vetoing it? Unless you have something more solid to back up the claim it probably wouldn't be good idea to draw a huge amount of attention to it. Seems odd to have a 4 year old grudge over an offhand remark on a forum. Excuse me for being skeptical about the situation.

That's what I was told.

If there's nothing you can use as proof, then I agree it's best not to bring it up anywhere else. Sucks for Rich though. It seems like he's really looking forward to the opportunities that playing Big Band will bring.

thisisneogaf-1_zps5f88042f.gif

Week #5 on JP PSN charts and still holding steady.

SkullgirlsJapaneseweek5_zps2ec4e931.jpg

Cyberfront must be very happy about how successful the game turned out to be in Japan. Makes me wonder what Sony has to say about the subject(stuff we don't get to hear about iirc).
Debated making a full thread for it, but decided against it... for now.

Anyway, back in 2009 I made this post about EGM's reemergence.

EGM conducted an interview with Rich Brown, but Steve Harris vetoed it based on that NeoGAF post. So I guess all future Skullgirls coverage in EGM is off because of that.
That is a dick move to say the least.

El Sloth

Banned
So on the off chance there are any NYC based Skullgirls fans here looking for people to play in person: http://skullheart.com/forums/index.php?threads/nyc-sg-community.225/

This is my attempt at fostering some sort of scene here in the city. Basically, I'm trying to set up a semi-regular biweekly/fortnightly meet up for some pure casual skullgirls playing fun. And maybe in the far future, if we get a regular enough group of folks to show up, lobby to have a SG tournament included in Savage Saturdays or what have you.

The date for the next meetup is still subject to change, but for the moment it's March 30th, next Saturday March 29th, this Friday, at Next Level in Brooklyn.

Fair warning: The last time I set this up roughly ~5 people confirmed to show and in the end it only ended up being me and one other guy (which was fine by me since I never had to give up the controller lol).

Even if you don't live in NYC I'd still appreciate it if you guys could spread the word to any other places that you know Skullgirls players post (I only know about here, Skullheart, and /r/Skullgirls on reddit)!

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, despite how closely I've been following the Skullgirls campaign, it's only today that I actually went through and bought the game. And after powering through what has to be the absolute most download and installation bars I've ever seen, I've finally gotten down to playing.

And I am incredibly terrible at this game, oh man. If my ineptitude at fighting games wasn't clear to me before, coddled as I was by P4A, it's pretty damn clear now. I've spent like twenty minutes trying to perform Gregor Samson in the tutorial and somehow it's beyond me and my hands are apparently made of ham because it's just beyond the extent of my hand-eye coordination right now.

Still, I absolutely don't regret buying it or anything - it's just pretty overwhelming, and my unfamiliarity with the Dualshock 3 and my general lack of skill in inputs is coming together in this perfect storm of awfulness at video-games.

So what I'm trying to get at is if there are any good suggestions for reliably making the correct inputs or something because I am going nowhere very quickly.

The game is really, really exceptional to look at, though. It's the main reason I've been staring at the game through a proverbial glass window for the past year. I just wish I were better at it, :lol.

EDIT: Like, the command for Gregor Samson is a quarter circle turn away from the opponent and two kicks, but the command for Hairball is a quarter circle turn away from the opponent and one kick. I've gotten the former done with something approaching consistency (if slightly more than half the time could be considered that), but Hairball always seems to trigger instead of Gregor Samson. I know I'm missing something huge and important and I'm sure it just showcases where I'm at in terms of ability, but it'd be nice if I had a better impression on what I'm doing wrong.

Do it right before you make it faster.

If you're having trouble with the execution, make sure you practice doing it as slowly as necessary to get it right every time. Only work on doing it faster after you're sure you have it down.

E: Hairball is a special move. You can always do it. Gregor Samson is a super move. It requires at least one bar of super meter to perform. In training mode, you can set the super meter option to max if you want.

Moonlight

Banned
I guess I should have elaborated more: meter isn't the issue, I've been trying it with max on practice mode. It's just that I always activate Hairball in my command before Gregor Samson. I'm assuming I'm messing up the timing, but if I am, I can't figure out the window. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong here.

Since the only difference between the moves is the number of kick buttons you press, and you can get one but not the other, you need to be more mindful of the way you're pressing the buttons. The kick buttons are supposed to be pressed at the same time.

I'm not really sure what else to tell you without actually seeing how you're trying to do it.

Beats

So what I'm trying to get at is if there are any good suggestions for reliably making the correct inputs or something because I am going nowhere very quickly.

Well, for a quarter circle move the best thing to do is slide your thumb from down to left or down to right on the d-pad and then press the attack input as soon as you hit left or right. There's not much to it. For the attack inputs on Gregor Samson I just press in the spot between X and O (assuming you're using the default button setup) with my thumb. My hands aren't that big, but I can still manage to press both at the same time with that method.

You'll probably run into trouble doing a dragon punch motion, but it's not that much harder. I just do the quarter circle and then slide my thumb back down to get the input.

Roubjon

Good games beats. I really need to flesh out what I'm doing with Cerebella, because so often I get midway into a combo and then forgot what I'm supposed to do next. And with Peacock I just need to stop sucking, but I'll accept the fact that I do for now considering I started playing her 2 days ago.

El Sloth

Banned
I guess I should have elaborated more: meter isn't the issue, I've been trying it with max on practice mode. It's just that I always activate Hairball in my command before Gregor Samson. I'm assuming I'm messing up the timing, but if I am, I can't figure out the window. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong here.
Describe to me how you are doing the super. As in, what are your fingers doing on the controller?

Before that though, try this: Go to button configuration and assign one of the bumpers/triggers to be 2 kicks. Try doing the super with that.

Moonlight

Banned
Well, for a quarter circle move the best thing to do is slide your thumb from down to left or down to right on the d-pad and then press the attack input as soon as you hit left or right. There's not much to it. For the attack inputs on Gregor Samson I just press in the spot between X and O (assuming you're using the default button setup) with my thumb. My hands aren't that big, but I can still manage to press both at the same time with that method.
....ah. I know what I was doing wrong, then. To answer Sloth's question, I was trying to input the buttons in sequence. I'd do a quarter circle turn and hit X twice.

Yeah.

El Sloth

Banned
....ah. I know what I was doing wrong, then. To answer Sloth's question, I was trying to input the buttons in sequence. I'd do a quarter circle turn and hit X twice.

Yeah.
Don't worry about it; I figured it might have been this from past experience with two other friends who thought the same in MvC 3. It's something fairly easy to get wrong if it's something you've never had to do before!

Let this be a lesson to devs everywhere to emphasize somewhere that the + means simultaneous button presses and not consecutive button presses in their tutorials!

I'm pretty new to the game, just got the game the other day. Having a lot of fun with the game so far.

Good to see a new face. You may want to join Skullheart.com while you're at it if you're interested in looking at more comprehensive character guides. Any idea on what characters you want to play as yet?

I bit. payed the 36 dollars to play this game when it comes out. I enjoyed it a bit at comic con some years back, but with the extensive training modes, maybe i'll get back into fighters once again. Mostly though, its for the support that the studio, the VAs, and the community have for eachother. Hoping for the third character. I assume there will be a steamgroup for the game when it launches on steam?

sca2511

Good to see a new face. You may want to join Skullheart.com while you're at it if you're interested in looking at more comprehensive character guides. Any idea on what characters you want to play as yet?

So far, been using Filia and Parasoul. They seemed easy to get into so I might be sticking with them. I'm also interested in Valentine, but haven't used her enough.

El Sloth

Banned
I bit. payed the 36 dollars to play this game when it comes out. I enjoyed it a bit at comic con some years back, but with the extensive training modes, maybe i'll get back into fighters once again. Mostly though, its for the support that the studio, the VAs, and the community have for eachother. Hoping for the third character. I assume there will be a steamgroup for the game when it launches on steam?
I'm sure someone at the Skullheart forums will make one.

Moonlight

Banned
Spent the afternoon trying to get decent at Peacock. She's way more complex than Filia (who I'd been practicing as for the weekend), but I love her design and her concept way too much not to use her. She's quite brilliant.

On a slightly different note, I've been going through story mode at a decent clip. I'd honestly be all in for a crowd-funding campaign to fluff it out a bit.

Ravidrath

Spent the afternoon trying to get decent at Peacock. She's way more complex than Filia (who I'd been practicing as for the weekend), but I love her design and her concept way too much not to use her. She's quite brilliant.

On a slightly different note, I've been going through story mode at a decent clip. I'd honestly be all in for a crowd-funding campaign to fluff it out a bit.

Well, you're likely to get three more character side-stories from the campaign.

The whole canon story is another matter, though... we'd probably need to overshoot the third character's story mode by quite a bit to make all of that work, because it's going to be a LOT of new writing and art.

Well, you're likely to get three more character side-stories from the campaign.

The whole canon story is another matter, though... we'd probably need to overshoot the third character's story mode by quite a bit to make all of that work, because it's going to be a LOT of new writing and art.

I think I remember talk of having to rework how story mode worked, like the actual implementation, on the streams awhile ago.

I thought it was mentioned with adding the new characters' stories, but would it just be for doing a canon story?

Also, are you guys planning to open up donations after the campaign is officially over? If the mane6 supporters come through we'll be at least halfway to another character. I would hope that much over 625 is enough to do a story mode plus whatever else, but I think some people might want to try to push towards a fourth if it looks reachable. Are you still deciding on how to handle that?

Ravidrath

I think I remember talk of having to rework how story mode worked, like the actual implementation, on the streams awhile ago.

We actually had a design and (very rough) code implementation of the canon story mode, but it wasn't developed further because we didn't have the time or money to actually make the content for it.

Top Bottom