• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky Crawlers : Innocent Aces (Wii) - new pics

farnham

Banned
i dont care that much about the game

but the anime.. man thats from the ghost in the shell guy right (oshii mamoru)

Tenbatsu

New Screens here
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1217658_1407.html
11813t4.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks nice.

I think this is the closest I'll ever get to a WWII Ace Combat.

Topher said:
There's a novel?
Yeah, well more like a series of several books, written by Mori Hiroshi. I'm guessing this is where the subtitle "Innocence Aces" comes from because of the subject matter in the novels. The fact that they are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things yet they have their own lives to take into account.

farnham said:

Yeah, Oshii's foray back into animation since Innocence (GITS sequel) after dabbling with live action stuff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
somebody tell me this game has online multi..

Tenbatsu said:

Thanks ! This article actually explains the various kind of objectives that will be available through the game. I thought it would be interesting to transcribe these description, so...there you go :

91at1e.jpg

^^^ Reconnaissance Mission.
Objective is to take shots of enemy facilities. You fail the mission if the shots you took missed your target(s) to an extent. It's not necessary to engage the enemies in this type of mission. Once you've completed your objective, your only worry then is to return safely, even if this means avoiding the battle entirely.

2po2sme.jpg

^^^Aerial Battles
In these missions you'll have to fight countless aircrafts, in cooperation with allied airplanes. Shooting down a large number of enemy airplanes will also allow you to increase your evaluation. It is also said that these types of missions mobilize the most of the player's handling and skills, if only because you have to make your way through an impressive flock of planes.

12210k3.jpg

30adkeb.jpg

^^^Naval Battles
These missions will oppose you against the invasion of the Raulten naval fleet. Because of the large number of targets, using anti-ground armament will be indispensable here, though you'll be able to switch between the your weapons as you wish. You'll also be opposed to a barrage of strong anti-aircraft weapons, and have to make your way through literally a rain of fire, before striking the enemy battleships.

14mqf4x.jpg

1exegy.jpg

^^^Stronghold Offensive
In these missions, you'll basically have to capture fortified enemy structures. As you get near these fortifications, the enemy will not hesitate to fire at you a barrage of anti-aircraft weapons, in addition to heavy cannons, such as the colossal "Amibick", which is able to pulverize an aircraft in one shot. In this case, you'll have to put your evasion techniques to use. These structures definitely make for a formidable opposition.

That sounds rather exciting to me. Pretty interested to see what scenarios they will elaborate using these differents types of objectives.

Actually, despite being an Oshii fan, I wasn't that interested in the animation movie until I very recently watched a 5+ minutes trailer that totally sold me on it. Incidentally, I'm even more interested in the game now :) .

Stormbringer said:
Actually, despite being an Oshii fan, I wasn't that interested in the animation movie until I very recently watched a 5+ minutes trailer that totally sold me on it. Incidentally, I'm even more interested in the game now :) .

Do you have a link? I'd really like to see this as I know nothing about the source material.

bdouble

phez said:
Wiimote for throttle? Are they joking?

seems sort of natural if you ask me. Well from a flight controls perspective anyways. Feels more like a throttle and weapon selection.

iirc aren't there multiple control schemes planned?

bdouble said:
seems sort of natural if you ask me. Well from a flight controls perspective anyways. Feels more like a throttle and weapon selection.

iirc aren't there multiple control schemes planned?
The control scheme is trying to mimic HOTAS, so it'll be realistic enough. The throttle should really be held sideways though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mr. Pointy said:
The control scheme is trying to mimic HOTAS, so it'll be realistic enough. The throttle should really be held sideways though.
this. i had a control method idea VERY similar to this, just reversed. basically, holding down the Z button and then moving the nunchuck forward and back would increase and decrease the throttle, while pulling the throttle all the way back and then twisting would make an air brake. though to be honest, this seems very good as is. i eagerly await more info.

Anoop Gantayat's CharaHobby impressions :

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/anoop/2008/08/31/sky_crawlers_hands_on

The Ace Combat team worked wonders making the PlayStation 2 produce top-class flight visuals, and it looks like they're doing the same with the Wii. Sky Crawlers, which saw its playable debut at the C3xHOBBY event today will instantly grab your eye with its quality visuals.

Unfortunately, the C3xHOBBY demo was so short that it was difficult to take in anything but the visuals!

jfg1n6.jpg

Bandai Namco had the game, which is based off the recent Mamoru Oshii animated film of the same name, set up in two kiosks. Players could sample a short play session of about five minutes or so, taking out as many enemies as possible in a coastal setting.

The demo seemed to be set to super easy difficulty, perhaps as a means of letting players get used to the game's unique control scheme. If you don't like waggle, you may want to stop reading here.

Sky Crawler's controls make full use of the Wiimote and nunchuck's motion sensing abilities. You control your plane's direction by tilting the nunchuck around. To adjust speed, you tilt the Wiimote up and down.

Movement through the nunchuck felt a bit strange, as I found it difficult to keep my arm grounded. My arm would continually rise forcing me to make periodic adjustments to bring the nunchuck back down. I'm hoping this is something that will go away with practice. Or, maybe Bandai Namco will include the option for control via the analogue stick.

To fire your guns, you press the Z button. While you're free to seek out enemy planes, center them in your view and fire away, there's a much more "cinematic" option as well. As you fly, a gauge at the bottom of the screen slowly fills up. When this reaches a certain level, you can press the A button to make your plane automatically maneuver about and center an enemy craft in your view. Once you've done this, the enemy is an easy kill via your guns.

This maneuvering system is called the TMC, or Tactical Maneuver Command, and it results in some nice acrobatic displays without your having to do any fancy maneuvering. The camera briefly switches out of gameplay perspective and into a more cinematic view.

Your TMC gauge has three levels. The higher the gauge level when you execute a move, the more impressive the acrobatics. Of course, building up the gauge means holding off on potential kills.

3v436.jpg

While the short length of the demo kept me from coming fully to grips with the control system, there was no doubt left over the game's good looks. Picture all those pretty frame buffer grabs of the PS2 Ace Combat games, but without having to go through the PS2's crappy video output. Sky Crawlers image quality is clean. And, of course, the game stays nice and smooth even during those cinematic aerial maneuvers.

With the game based off a high profile movie, there's also the possibility for high production values outside of the main game modes. Sure enough, leaving the demo running at the title screen for a few seconds brought up a high quality animation sequence -- hopefully, a preview of what we can expect from the Wii adaptation of Sky Crawlers.

bdouble

If you don't like waggle, you may want to stop reading here.

I don't get it? So are all motion controls considered "waggle" now? I always associated it with things like TP. Even a game like Godfather to me didn't seem like "waggle".

glaurung

Is this coming to US or Europe at all?

I recall reading some place that it was a Japan-only Wii game and so I lost interest way back when it was announced.

As for the control scheme... It should be the other way around: in a real plane you would control your speed with the left hand and control the orientation of the plane with the right.

Otherwise looks good.

bdouble

glaurung said:
Is this coming to US or Europe at all?

I recall reading some place that it was a Japan-only Wii game and so I lost interest way back when it was announced.

As for the control scheme... It should be the other way around: in a real plane you would control your speed with the left hand and control the orientation of the plane with the right.

Otherwise looks good.

That is the way it recommends to hold it. Nunchuck right wiimote left. You can see them doing this in the picture.

andthebeatgoeson

Wow, game looks great. I was upset that they put it at an earlier time and it doesn't have missles but maybe this will force them into different aspects for gameplay instead of aim, shoot and forget it.

I still have to play Ace Combat 6. Was it any good? Better than 5? Better than 4?

4's story was god-like and I'm glad they went back to animation instead of CG.

glaurung

bdouble said:
That is the way it recommends to hold it. Nunchuck right wiimote left. You can see them doing this in the picture.

Excellent.

I still have to play Ace Combat 6. Was it any good? Better than 5? Better than 4?

AC6 features good action and nice graphics, that weren't really that next-gen, but perfectly passable. The action of the game is more of the same, albeit there is only one sci-fi plane that kind of blows. The game's story is abysmal, pointless and the cutscenes are a real PITA. But overall it makes for a solid rental as you say in the US.

It is by no means better than 4 or 5 or even Zero, but it is passable.

Too bad there's still no word of AC7 on PS3.

andthebeatgoeson

glaurung said:
AC6 features good action and nice graphics, that weren't really that next-gen, but perfectly passable. The action of the game is more of the same, albeit there is only one sci-fi plane that kind of blows. The game's story is abysmal, pointless and the cutscenes are a real PITA. But overall it makes for a solid rental as you say in the US.

It is by no means better than 4 or 5 or even Zero, but it is passable.

Too bad there's still no word of AC7 on PS3.
Ahh. You shitting me? When you say sci-fi plane: that plane blows or there is only one sci-fi plane?

BTW, PITA?

lordmrw

i figure the game'll come out sometime next year when the movie comes out, and make no mistake, its just a matter of time until the movie comes out.

Redd

fresquito said:
I'm thinking my own knee will be usefull...

It's funny how I notice so many people don't do this. I just can't picture myself standing up playing a game for extended periods of time unless it's like Wii Sports or maybe M&S at the olympics. Nothing wrong with sitting down and gaming.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ivysaur12 said:
Since it's based on a film, what are the chances of it coming to the states?
This isn't some obscure Japanese game that no one is going to buy, on it's own two feet it is a new project by the Ace Combat team. Thing is it just happens to be using animation from the movie which is apparently licensed by Warner Bros. as well as being shown at the Venice Film Festival this month.

I'd say at the very least we'll see it get released everywhere else next year.

By the way, from this infos page on this shopping site, it looks like the game will feature around 30 minutes of animation sequences, which includes the opening movie and the intermissions sequences. It's also said that the animation will be handled by a studio named XEBEC, which is apparently a subsidiary of Prod I.G.

ivysaur12 said:
Since it's based on a film, what are the chances of it coming to the states?
I'd say the movie will probably come to the West soon or later, so there could definitely be a possibility for a movie-game tie-in...Alternatively, in the slim eventuality that the movie doesn't come out here, they could also bring it to the West anyway and try to market the game on its own merits (which happen to include the pedigree of its makers)...But I'd say Namco and the people behind the movie would probably be wise enough to use every asset they have in their possession.

maxmars

Stormbringer said:
I'd say the movie will probably come to the West soon or later, so there could definitely be a possibility for a movie-game tie-in...Alternatively, in the slim eventuality that the movie doesn't come out here, they could also bring it to the West anyway and try to market the game on its own merits (which happen to include the pedigree of its makers)...But I'd say Namco and the people behind the movie would probably be wise enough to use every asset they have in their possession.

The movie has been showcased at the Mostra del Cinema di Venezia last month so it will most probably find its way at least in Europe. How much butchered, that reamins to be seen.

Azure J

Dammit, this game looks sexy... Yet it also stirs up a burning desire for a new Star Fox. That's a good thing. :D

+1

maxmars

speedpop said:
:lol

This isn't the 1980s.

Well I was thinking about a release in Italy, but your comment reminded me that I could import from another European country.. This isn't a kids' movie anyway so I could just watch it in English.

Top Bottom