• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyforge |OT| Thou shall not workship false prophets

Clearos

Platform: PC
Price: F2P. Cash shop is cosmetic plus some “reduce the grind purchases”
Genre: 3rd Person Action MMO
Developer: Allods Team & Obsidian
Publisher: My.com
Release Date: Open Beta, July 16th, 2015

WARNING: AT THIS TIME MY.COM DEFAULTS FOR YOUR SYSTEM TO SEED THE GAME FOR OTHERS. TO DISABLE THIS PLEASE GO TO MY.COM-->SETTINGS AND TURN OFF "Continue distributing when download has ended"
Note: Reddit forum has made it's way to developers and it is currently in discussion so hopefully this stops the process for new people downloading the client.
*Thanks to Retro for bring this to our attention.

--Story--
The planet of Aelion was once a free world protected by greater god Aeli, who helped civilization flourish. Aeli has vanished, leaving behind a world of followers which is only protected by Immortals (the players) and a few remaining lesser gods. Without a strong greater god to protect it, Aelion has become a target for the armies of hostile gods, who wish to gain control of a new world of followers and build their own power. The world is constantly under the threat of cataclysmic invasions.

--Character Development--

Ascension Atlas:
Complete missions and earn different colored gems. Collect enough gems to unlock nodes in the Atlas to improve the stats of your character, skills and later other classes. The lower Tier focuses primarily on stat upgrades and when a player unlocks the upper tier that is when more perks and class unlocks are available.

Prestige:
Prestige is your level in skyforge. Think of it as an offical gear score. Prestige is affected by gear primarily but also sees small increases by your Ascension Atlas. Higher Prestige unlocks new zones and greater challenges to previously visited zones.

Classes

Each class feels very unique, within an hour into the game you will be able to access a VR system that let's you try out each class with a few of their skills to get the general idea of their play style.

Combat Combat is action driven and feels like a mash of guild wars 2 and World of Warcraft. Some classes have mouse click combos others require constant stance changes to be affective. All classes have access to dodge which are used to dodge non-basic attacks and Area of effect skills.

A new trinity: Tank/DPS/Support

Support is different from the normal healer in World of Warcraft and other similar games. Health orbs are dropped by monsters so a support player will be doing damage while buffing and shielding their party members. These forces the party to always be mindful of positioning and know when to grab a health orb.

--PvE--

Group missions: 1-3 players. Quick missions that scale with the amount of members. Can be replayed at higher prestige with additional rewards but additional challenges added. (no healing, enemies deal 50% more damage, Dodge 50x times, etc)

Large Scale Map: About the size of a single map in World of Warcraft, public map that has multiple quests and events happening.

--High End Content--

Each HEC gives different epic rewards. Some only reward weapons where another piece of content will only unlock rings.

Raids: Unlocked once Divine Form is learned. 10 man dungeons very similiar to what World of Warcraft and others offer.

Platoon: This is a more straight forward raid. 10 people are required but it is a streamlined event with no exploration. Fight challenging monsters right off the bat.

Anomalies: multiple 5 man groups standing next to their individual abnormalities and trying to get as many kills as possible (you are trying to beat the other 5 man teams)

Distortions: 10 man group. Arena style combat vs. a boss monster.

--PvP--

I have yet to attempt PvP but there will be four modes that will be available to players as they reach higher prestige levels.

Free for All (6 players)
Team Death Match (3 on 3)
Payload: (8 on 8)
Capture the Flag: (12 on 12)

--Pantheon aka Guilds--

The Pantheon is the guild of Skyforge. Pantheon’s offer new quests and also task the group with building the stronghold which gives the ability to increase guild size, get involved in pantheon wars and also prepare for upcoming invasions. The members are divided into clans where each clan leader has the same power as the founder minus the ability to remove the founder from the pantheon.

Divine Form:

The ultimate form of your immortal. Depending on your class will change what your divine form is. Divine Form improves all stats, damage and also unlocks an ultimate move.

Screenshots:

First OT and done at work to get some attention with open beta only hours away. Do not smite me.

Clearos

Q: Why can't I name my character or change my appearance?!?
A: Once you finish the tutorial you will have access to these features.

Q: Do I need to purchase the CE to use the Knight & Alchemist?
A: No, Founder and CE packs unlocked classes early for some people but anyone can still unlock them.

Q: How do I access the Adept system?
A: A quest will be started once you hit 2060 prestige.

Q: Can I create more than one character?
A: No.

Q: Guild Pvp?
A: Yes, Skyforge features large-scale guild battles called Pantheon Wars. Pantheon's (Skyforge's take on Guilds) participate in 100v100 player battles which are split between 50v50 PvP and PvE scenarios. Additional information on Pantheon Wars can be found at: Pantheon-Wars

Q: What happens if I am on vacation and miss a weekly cap?
A: Any portion of the cap that goes unused will get rolled into next week's cap. (Thanks Primus)

Q: I have the 3 starter classes, how do I get the others?
A: You earn classes by progression on the Atlas. If you go to the training center you can try all the classes out to see which one you might aim for.

Q: IS THERE A GAF GUILD?
A: NA, guild disbanded in October, no idea on the EU guild.
EU Guild up as well! (Thanks, KPJZKC)
Wanna run with the cool gods? Sign up on our sheet and we will get you invite.

Gaf Character sheet

Like us that much that you want to work on your verbal communication skills? Come talk to the guild on Discord

Primus

Zerker all day erryday.

Combat is fun, not as fluid as TERA but decently close, and there's a modicum of cancelling to add flavor.

There's a lot of grinding, though. You'll be doing the same instances over and over again during the course of the storyline, and there's only three kinds of quests: talk to this guy, click on these things, or kill these mobs. That being said, the outdoor zones are enormous and there's a ton of exploration to do.

Premium status (subbing, in essence) gets you a ton of benefits, mainly a 50% bonus on all drops. That comes in real handy, although you do hit the weekly caps quicker.

Yes, there are weekly caps on money and the drops you use to advance your class (called Sparks). The caps do increase week-by-week, and any portion of the cap that goes unused will get rolled into next week's cap.

Excited about this game. It gives me heavy PSO/GW1 vibes with the open zone/cooperative mission setup. Enjoyed what I played of the stress test.

Kane1345

I'm in early access at the moment and I'm really enjoying the game. It's a perfect fit for me and I hope it gets even more compelling and addictive later on down the line

Played it these past 2 days, and just uninstalled it.

Already early on, the main story sends you back to redo previous missions (dungeons), which makes me realize how grindy this will become later on.

The combat is decent, but the main gameplay focus of linear questing is pretty bad compared to other MMOs.

I just went "eeeeh... deja vu" very early on.

Zafir

Yeah I've been playing it the past two days, I really like the combat and world, but it gets repetitive real fast. Constantly making you redo the same areas isn't very good for gameplay. Especially when it seems like you could be grinding for a long time getting to other classes.

Verilligo

Word to the wise, if Allods Team behaves the same way for Skyforge as they have for Allods Online, I wouldn't suggest getting too invested in this one. It may start out nice, but they're well-trained at both Pay-to-Win cash shop mechanics and Korean MMO grinding activities. Current day Allods is a mockery of its former self.

They're also pretty big jerks when it comes to precision raid mechanics. But that's more of a person peeve, rather than the giant glaring warning sign that is game-altering enhancements locked behind cash shop gambling boxes and their own in-game RMT device. I suppose Skyforge could take a radically different course, but I really wouldn't expect mail.RU to suddenly grow a conscience.

Word to the wise, if Allods Team behaves the same way for Skyforge as they have for Allods Online, I wouldn't suggest getting too invested in this one. It may start out nice, but they're well-trained at both Pay-to-Win cash shop mechanics and Korean MMO grinding activities. Current day Allods is a mockery of its former self.

They're also pretty big jerks when it comes to precision raid mechanics. But that's more of a person peeve, rather than the giant glaring warning sign that is game-altering enhancements locked behind cash shop gambling boxes and their own in-game RMT device. I suppose Skyforge could take a radically different course, but I really wouldn't expect mail.RU to suddenly grow a conscience.

Since Obsidian is helping with the PvE content I hope it's well designed. It's a shame to hear that they butchered Allods with p2w though.

Clearos

Time will tell but it seems the community had a large part in the cash shop so for the moment it looks like they have not tainted their game like they did on Allods.

For people starting up, I would recommend to get to at least around 2000 prestige. Enemies start to have a bit more of a challenge and that is the first 5 man dungeon.

Kane1345

Obsidians involvement gives me hope for the future. As other have said, it can be grindy and repetitive at times but I kinda expected that going in but the nature of some of the boss fights and the combat itself is excellent (for me anyway). Servers are down for OBT and will be back in about 4 hrs or so

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
server is up

Angel Chay is my game name add me to chracter sheet doc

Zerker all day erryday.

Combat is fun, not as fluid as TERA but decently close, and there's a modicum of cancelling to add flavor.

There's a lot of grinding, though. You'll be doing the same instances over and over again during the course of the storyline, and there's only three kinds of quests: talk to this guy, click on these things, or kill these mobs. That being said, the outdoor zones are enormous and there's a ton of exploration to do.

Premium status (subbing, in essence) gets you a ton of benefits, mainly a 50% bonus on all drops. That comes in real handy, although you do hit the weekly caps quicker.

Yes, there are weekly caps on money and the drops you use to advance your class (called Sparks). The caps do increase week-by-week, and any portion of the cap that goes unused will get rolled into next week's cap.
tons of exploration but are there secrets to be found? achievements to earn? etc

Vex_

Banned
im in there then!

Turn on v sync BTW! It was off by default for me and I was running the game at 128fps. My gpu was going insane!

Had my eye on this one for a while, but never got into the closed beta. Gonna start the download before I head out for class, hopefully I'll be able to log on later today :D

I've read that this game is nothing but a boring repetitive grind fest. anyone else?

It's very phantasy star online-y. You repeat areas, there's some grinding, but the group content I did was great. From what I've read, the group content becomes harder and more complex/intense once you're a bit further in the game.

Clearos

I've read that this game is nothing but a boring repetitive grind fest. anyone else?

There is some repetitive stuff no doubt but I could say that of all MMOs where you do the same dungeons over and over for a certain drop or tokens.

I wouldn't call it boring. I've enjoyed the combat and PvP is pretty fun. ( Got destroyed on my paladin but still fun ) I did the first dungeon during closed beta and I had a good time with that as dps so will get to try it out as a tank shortly.

If you can, try to get in about an hour worth of game time and the training center will be unlocked with all the classes. Game lets you do a mini-tutorial on each one to see what mechanics you enjoy.

Vex_

Banned
Can I try from Europe? I might be interested.
Yes. They have servers specifically for eu.

I hear they are down now? Keep an eye on their twitter feed.

Now for a question: Can someone explain what the "impulse" stat does?

Yes. They have servers specifically for eu.

I hear they are down now? Keep an eye on their twitter feed.

Now for a question: Can someone explain what the "impulse" stat does?

Their twitter says both EU and NA are up but some people are having difficulty connecting.

Vex_

Banned
can this be played with a controller?

No. The games controller support is half coded. It has movement and "interact" buttons set up, but it is incomplete as of now.

I hear they are going to fully implement it "soon".

Because it has its own native support, it blocks out programs like xpadder or joy2key.

Hopefully they complete their native solution soon as playing with a game pad would be awesome.

Going over the website... damn, a lot of the classes look awesome :D

Think I'm going to start with a Lightbinder or Paladin and build towards a Necromancer.

Going over the website... damn, a lot of the classes look awesome :D

Think I'm going to start with a Lightbinder or Paladin and build towards a Necromancer.

Of the classes I played in the stress test the only one that wasn't fun was Achemist. I loved the class concept but it felt a bit clunky to play to me, I might just be bad though.

No. The games controller support is half coded. It has movement and "interact" buttons set up, but it is incomplete as of now.

I hear they are going to fully implement it "soon".

Because it has its own native support, it blocks out programs like xpadder or joy2key.

Hopefully they complete their native solution soon as playing with a game pad would be awesome.

I came in to ask this same question. Glad someone already answered it.

But until the native controller support is in, I aint touching it.

I just hope the controller support isnt garbage like it is on Tera.

Azzurri

The classes and skill system looks awesome and what I like in MMO's, but it seems the world is just one instance hub to another, no real persistent world like other MMOs

Ashodin

Yeah it's kinda like Destiny in that it's a hub game with short overworld areas. The class system is reminiscent of FFX or Path of Exile; however it is not as deep as either.

Hey, have they implemented the Pantheon stuff in-game? I'm curious about how that'll be handled; can you walk around or customize the stronghold, or does it only exist in a menu?

The classes and skill system looks awesome and what I like in MMO's, but it seems the world is just one instance hub to another, no real persistent world like other MMOs

It's structured like Phantasy Star Online or Guild Wars 1 if you've played those. Hub areas, regions you can go into that are populated by your party members or (in this game) some other players, as well as missions which are repeatable group content. I think this game also has raids though?

Ashodin

It's structured like Phantasy Star Online or Guild Wars 1 if you've played those. Hub areas, regions you can go into that are populated by your party members or (in this game) some other players, as well as missions which are repeatable group content. I think this game also has raids though?

The game has raids and everything in between. Dungeons, solo adventures, time trials, pvp matches, etc

Downloading it now. This looks like something I would like.

So it's Vindictus as well.

Having some ping issues, servers must be getting hit. The second mission, the Port, is better than the first imo. The first one was pretty tank and spank, this one had actual boss mechanics and our party had to work together more. I'm enjoying Cyromancer

Primus

Chat System is really bugging me in this game, and being social is one of the features I go into MMO's in the first place.

Chat is shit, really shit. I think it's actually worse than Defiance, which had no zone-wide channels when it launched.

As an example, I had to mute an idiot in Region chat on Naori Island last night. (Long story short, he was using Wikipedia to buttress an argument that autism doesn't actually exist, it's just narcissism.) To do that I had to:

1) Hit Return to bring up the chat window.
2) Arrow to the Region chat, only to find his username not there.
3) Arrow up to Search, type in his full name.
4) Arrow back down to the search result, then over to the submenu, where I could finally ignore him.

Could've done it in 3 seconds with a damn mouse pointer but we can't have one of those, now can we.

Top Bottom