• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Imaginators Announced - Create your own Skylander.

fernoca

Something I can't help but notice though--and maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part--to me the creations look less like Skylanders and more like something from a MOBA or WoW. Could this ever cross-over with other games owned by Activision?
It has been a visual style of choice since the first game. Heck, the game plays like Diablo and even has a few modes around defending bases/towers too, so even if there was a cross over it wouldn't be something crazy.

Man, I was hoping they finally found a way to make custom figures that would be reflected in game. Pulling that off would make for really awesome LEGO or Gundam toys-to-life games.
The closest they've managed to that was the Swap Force figures, which are still a pretty fun gimmick. But yeah I'd love to see something more robust like that.

I skipped Trap Team and Superchargers, but the gimmick for this one seems interesting enough that I'll probably give it a go. That, and I really want that Golden Queen figure...

GameStop put up the pages for the Dark Edition of the game. Costs $99, includes 3 creation crystals, Dark Penguin guy, Dark Gold Queen, and Dark Wolfgang (and some extra stuff, poster and cards and etc, they like to throw in some cheap goodies)

Also GameStop exclusive so no GCU or Amazon bonus cutting that down unfortunately

Wolfgang hadn't been previously revealed either so he's confirmed as another redeemed villain. Uses his harp as a bow so he's an Archer sensei.

It's a good deal I guess, $35ish worth of extra figures for only $25 more than the base game

Kinsei

Banned
GameStop put up the pages for the Dark Edition of the game. Costs $99, includes 3 creation crystals, Dark Penguin guy, Dark Gold Queen, and Dark Wolfgang (and some extra stuff, poster and cards and etc, they like to throw in some cheap goodies)

Also GameStop exclusive so no GCU or Amazon bonus cutting that down unfortunately

Wolfgang hadn't been previously revealed either so he's confirmed as another redeemed villain. Uses his harp as a bow so he's an Archer sensei.

I figured Wolfgang would be one of the senseis. He's too popular not to be. I think I'll skip out on the Dark Edition this time around, I really like the original colors of Golden Queen and Wolfgang.

Now all I need is for them to confirm Mesmerelda and all of my favorite villains will be playable (not counting ones too big to be playable like Drill-X).

Also since there's 11 Villain figures but only 10 elements I think there's a very high chance Kaos will be number eleven. Probably the most requested figure in the series' history.

Plus it sounds like most of these villains are built out of Trap Team move sets(that have been expanded on) and he was absolutely playable in that.

Slermy

Also since there's 11 Villain figures but only 10 elements I think there's a very high chance Kaos will be number eleven. Probably the most requested figure in the series' history.

Plus it sounds like most of these villains are built out of Trap Team move sets(that have been expanded on) and he was absolutely playable in that.

That's a very good point.

I hope the Chompy is the life villain. It's super fun to play as in Trap Team.

Probably Chompy Mage rather than a Chompy itself. Fits the Sorceror sensei role and he's used in promo stuff pretty often.

A Chompy figure would be great though.

I find this really interesting. Previously, I think the last few Dark versions of the games were TRU exclusives. Gamestop has really done a lot with Skylanders in the last few years, so I wonder if this is a continuation of their partnership. I have to wonder if TRU didn't meet their expectations with stuff or something.

Man, I was hoping they finally found a way to make custom figures that would be reflected in game. Pulling that off would make for really awesome LEGO or Gundam toys-to-life games.

Now don't go giving them ideas like that. What they'll end up doing is selling each individual piece for $4.99 each. And then we'll all be crying.

Some promo art was released of the other Creation Crystals. Like the Traps from trap team they're varied in appearance across the same element.

Unlike trap team, there's two randomized components. The outer casing has a style, and the inner crystal has a style. Both of these can be mixed and matched for all 10 elements.

Basically the people who want to collect 100% variants for all the elements for the creation crystals will be buying the 10 elements X 10 tube variants X 10 crystal variants = 1000 toys total

enjoy, collectors. man im glad i dont do that

3D Printed Custom Skylanders/Imaginators Figures Incoming:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...-part-of-the-new-skylanders-creator-app/35487

Skylanders_Creator_App_news.jpg

Skylanders_Creator_Sir_Hoodington_custom_skylander_3D_Printed_Imaginator_Figure_example,.jpg

$50 for a 3D printed custom toys-to-life figure is not bad at all. I was expecting it to cost a lot more. So they're roughly the same size as a standard Skylanders figure?

I could see this, with the way they're doing the free app and the cards and figures of the custom stuff, being a big deal for Skylanders. Might be what it needs to get sales moving again.

I'm a sucker for 3D printing custom characters though. I loved when Rock Band did it too.

Can you play as Bowser & Donkey Kong

On the Wii U version, yeah.

Lucifon

So this is out on Friday, and there seems to be zero info about it outside of the initial reveal. Any idea when the review embargo lifts?

It looks like it's been confirmed that the creation crystals cannot be reset which means that once you pick a battle class you can never change it. It's bullshit and it's kinda killed my desire to buy any of the crystals. I'm really hoping that this will come back to bite Activision in the ass once the game is out and people realize the issue. Maybe they'll patch something in that will let you reset them. I mean, shit, this will completely ruin the second hand market for these things. Even worse, it was shown that the crystals don't even have any protection from being scanned on a portal while they're in their box, so anyone can set a class on the crystal using a display in stores. This has the potential to be a huge mess, all because Activision wanted to be even more greedy.

So this is out on Friday, and there seems to be zero info about it outside of the initial reveal. Any idea when the review embargo lifts?

There's a lot of videos floating around youtube now, looks like the embargo must have lifted today? People with early copies are starting to post walkthroughs and stuff.

Haven't seen any proper reviews yet but the figures themselves seem pretty nice. The creation crystals are larger than I expected and some of them have a nice wash on them to give it a sort of worn-down look. The lock-out thing with picking a fighter type on crystals sucks but everything else looks pretty nice.

The Skylanders Creator app is out on both iOS and Android and is fun too. Can't buy figures/cards/etc yet though.

Also if anyone was still wondering: Crash and Neo Cortex will be bundled together for a holiday release, costs $30 and unlocks a full-length Wumpa Island level.

plufim

Do the vehicles from Superchargers do much in this game? I can't imagine they've bothered with making new race tracks, so I doubt they'd be of use.

Do the vehicles from Superchargers do much in this game? I can't imagine they've bothered with making new race tracks, so I doubt they'd be of use.

All of the race tracks from Superchargers are in this game as a separate 'racing mode' and you can use those vehicles in it (plus the new skylanders and imaginators who can drive them in that mode now).

But unfortunately they don't seem to do anything in the 'normal' game, just the racing mode.

The same goes for the Trap Team trap pieces, they give vehicles in racing mode the bonus elemental attacks like they did in Superchargers but otherwise do nothing in the rest of the game.

As an aside, my biggest worry about Imaginators is that the Creation Crystals and custom characters won't work in future Skylanders games. I hope they figure out a way to carry them all over, otherwise those $50 3D printed custom figures you can buy will end up being a disappointment later on.

My biggest worry is that the story mode apparently only has 10 levels, and glancing at the trophy list, this appears to be true. The first level is on youtube and is 30 minutes long, so this game is likely shorter than the others in the series. Also hate that they're locking full stages behind sensei figure types. I liked how all you needed to buy to see the main content in superchargers was one plane and one boat.

Well if you wanted to see all the content in Superchargers you needed one plane, one boat, and one vehicle of each element to do their challenges. But yeah those little challenges are nowhere near on par with locking a whole level away.

I think making the character creation took up a lot of their resources that would normally go towards game length stuff, and I can't say I'm surprised the game's a bit shorter. But in my experience, the Skylanders games feel like they drag on and on and on way past the point they should have wrapped things up, with the exceptions of the 3DS games, so maybe the shorter length will make for a tighter and more satisfying experience? The loot crates make replaying stuff on higher difficulties actually appealing this time around though, where in the past games it just felt like a slog if you opted to do it at all.

I'm trying to hold out judgement on the game until it actually hits, but I'm an absolute sucker for character creation in games so I'm probably going to end up overlooking a lot of problems just because I can make a totally ripped wrestler lady named Lucha Bazooka and have her blow up dudes

CunbBPmWAAAwQI-.jpg

i love you, Lucha Bazooka

jonno394

I'm gonna do what I always do and wait for a price cut. I got Superchargers for £25-30 in November last year, hoping for the same here!

If anyone was waiting for it, the Skylanders Creator app lets you buy the custom Skylanders figures now. As well as the custom cards and shirts.

They've said they're limited in quantity but they didn't specify how limited. But I doubt they're ever going to get discounted, so if anyone wants to get one of these it's probably a good idea to get it sooner rather than later.

Karak

Fantastic game for sure

As for length since this has randomized loot in various areas and is built around different tracks in various levels it seemed fine for me. I have 30 hours into it and not nearly all the items or seen all the secrets

Aaaand the 3D printed skylanders are no longer available. Took less than 24 hours for that to reach capacity, yikes. They better work on increasing that hugely or there's going to be a lot of upset people.

The Orz

If Toys for Bob allows me to create a custom Orz, Spathi, or Ur-Quan Skylander then this will be my first Skylanders game.

On that note, it's really nice to Toys for Bob doing so well.

Top Bottom