• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
D3RGD.jpg

Now the question to ebay or not.. Thinking not, as none of these would be duplicates for me, and the ebay prices aren't that high.

Zing

Banned
If anyone from the company knows, they aren't speaking. This indicates to me that they won't be here in time for christmas. Every entry on their Facebook page gets spammed with comments asking for the new figures or when the new figures will be out. I assume the company would say something if they had an estimate, like they did a couple months ago when the recent batch was on its way.

Hobbun

When I bought some figures only a couple of weeks ago Toys R Us were selling them for $7.99, which has been what I've been seeing everywhere for the standard price per figure.

However, when going to Toys R Us yesterday, I saw the normal price was $9.99 and they were on sale for $7.99. I hope this is only a holiday increase of price and not what will remain.

Edit: Oh, and the character/adventure packs were on sale for $19.99, normal price $24.99. Which is a $5 increase than what I bought them for before (at Toys R Us) *shakes head*

Zing

Banned
Yes, it appears that the MSRP has been raised, or possibly this was the originally intended MSRP. Some stores in Canada have been selling them for $9.99 since day one.

fernoca

Nah, seems to be a decision per retailer. :p
Gamestop still has them at $7.99 and OneofSwords (one of the Activision's reps on Twitter) posted a reminder recently that the MSRP of the figures is not $10 (though he said $6.99; which was a mistake..guess he actually meant $7.99...unless.... :O! .. :p)

UDw63.png

Lan_97

Amazon now has Dino-Rang, Hex, and Wrecking Ball in stock. Dino-Rang and Wrecking Ball are on sale for $5.98. Picked up Dino-Rang. Ugh, I can't stop buying these.

This game really needs some sort of end game or new game+. Something designed to be challenging for max level/skill characters. Heroic challenges are fun to play through, but the stat increases (aside from some speed upgrades) really have no meaning when your character can already tear through every level.

Zing

Banned
When I first acquired the official strategy guide, I thought it was just due to cost-cutting or haste that the guide only included stickers for the "first wave" of figures. Now, I suspect that they knew all this time that only this first wave would be available for the first year. The new "June 2012" estimate we are getting may not be wrong after all.

It seems rather odd to withhold the last 1/3 of the collection.

Snaku

Banned
Oh god, I saw a Hex while shopping at Target and just bought it. I don't even own the game, but the figure was cool. Now I really want to play this.

I'll wait for the PS3 starter pack to drop to $40 on Amazon. Shouldn't have to wait too long for that. Damn this game and its seductive allure.

Sora_N

Anyone know if there's anyway to find Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant online at all? eBay prices are way too much, don't know what else I can do except curse myself for being Canadian.

I hope the 3DS Version drops in price or has a sale too, really been itching to pick it up.

Sora_N

Went to finish my Christmas shopping before work, came across this. :)

First time I've seen one in person! Bought it right away, I doubt I'll ever find one again.

boomer.jpg

Captain N

I just got the Nintendo 3DS version of this as a Christmas gift from the in laws! I cant wait!

I also got Dino Rang on the 3DS!

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Is this game any good? I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old I am thinking of picking it up for. Any console version superior than another? I have all 3, leaning toward Wii version but they're all the same price.

Is there a lot of content in the game without needing to go out and buy more stuff? The idea of having to buy action figures for new characters or adventure packs for new levels makes me skeptical to buy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Been seeing lots of Drill Sergeant in walmarts. Looks like they have been restocked.

Is this game any good? I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old I am thinking of picking it up for. Any console version superior than another? I have all 3, leaning toward Wii version but they're all the same price.

Is there a lot of content in the game without needing to go out and buy more stuff? The idea of having to buy action figures for new characters or adventure packs for new levels makes me skeptical to buy.

Get Wii or PS3 for the wireless portal. Other than that, console versions are basically the same other than a bit better visuals on HD systems.

As for buying, you don't need all of them. You can beat the game with the 3 iincluded. But you should try to get 1 character from each of the 8 elements for max enjoyment.

ElNino

I bought it for the 360 to avoid the wireless setup (no need to replace batteries). I gave it to my 5 year old for his birthday last weekend and we played it together, along with his cousins (5 and 7). They love it so far, and I can say it's a pretty good game as well... it might be a bit easy for me and a little challenging for my son so far.

We have the three starter characters as well as the legendary pack, but I have several more ready for Christmas. I would certainly suggest getting some extra characters, but I'd give your sons the game first and let them pick the characters they wan't (unless your just going to get them all anyways).

Zing

Banned
Oh man! bummer! I picked up the 3 pack of Prism Break, Boomer, & Voodood since my son wants Boomer.

Three of the best characters, in my opinion.

Prism Break and Boomer are insane when you get into their higher level upgrades. Imagine Boomer walking around laying up to 6 troll bombs at once. Yeah.

Voodoo is just fun right from the start. He also gain the nifty trip line trap ability.

Lan_97

Prism Break and Boomer are insane when you get into their higher level upgrades. Imagine Boomer walking around laying up to 6 troll bombs at once. Yeah.

The Clobber Troll path is pretty great for Boomer. You lose out on the constant stream of troll bombs and the extra dynamite sticks, but you get an aoe smash attack that does 100 damage + stun. The charge time is less than a second, and you could always do a fast smash to stun and then follow up with a charge smash. Also the main dynamite blast does just as much damage as in the Demolition path. Troll bombs end up being pretty useless though.

Zing

Banned
The characters are so outrageously overpowered by the time you reach that point, that there is effectively no difference. I suggest just choosing whichever upgrade path seems the most fun to you.

fernoca

Well, the Facebook page did a poll recently to pick a color for an upcoming series of limited edition-colors and the winner was:

QsGwh.png

So look out for blue-figures...soon.

goldenpp72

So I bought this for the gf for christmas, are they releasing new figurines or just different styles of packs? Is there a list of every figure that exist?

Cheska

YAY! My boyfriend's parents we able to find a lone Whirlwind at a Target about 30 minutes away. Needless to say I was pretty excited. If any of you really want Drill Sargent, I believe the Walmart in my area had quite a few.

Zing

Banned
Drill Sergeant is, by far, the worst character in all regards. Weak, hard to control, weapons hit walls more than enemies, lame upgrades. You aren't missing anything if you don't have him.

Sora_N

Drill Sergeant is, by far, the worst character in all regards. Weak, hard to control, weapons hit walls more than enemies, lame upgrades. You aren't missing anything if you don't have him.

Guess I don't feel so bad for not having access to Drill Sergeant in Canada then. However, it's a huge bummer for me that I can't buy Whirlwind. Me and my gf both want all the dragon-characters, and I'm looking to mainly buy the dragons myself.

Zing

Banned
Drill Sergeant is available in Canada. My local Walmart had almost nothing but him at one point.

However, Whirlwind, I had my girlfriend bring back from a visit to the USA.

tw1164

My 3 year old got this game for Xmas, and we're up to 7hrs played. He plays with the figures when we're not playing playing the actual game. Has anyone seen the Dragon's Peak adventure pack? I never heard of it.

I just bought Whirlwind at Toys R Us in New Brunswick Canada.....they had a whole wall of just her, like 50 of them. And I was there on Xmas Eve and they weren't there, so they were holding them back for some reason (exclusivity just expired maybe?) GOGOGOGO!!!!

Double D

Got it for my kids or Christmas. Spent yesterday hunting at stores for the figures. Sor far we've got 2 3 packs (the one with Drobot, and the one with Voodood), bought the Pirate and the Darklight Crypt Adventure packs, and bought Dino-Rang, Bash, and Sonic Boom as individual characters.

I think back when I was a kid, and I would have thought it was the greatest shit ever if my dad was into this crap. Hopefully my kids don't take this for granted, lol.

Anyways, I'm considering picking up the 3DS version at some point. It's a totally different game, right?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got it for my kids or Christmas. Spent yesterday hunting at stores for the figures. Sor far we've got 2 3 packs (the one with Drobot, and the one with Voodood), bought the Pirate and the Darklight Crypt Adventure packs, and bought Dino-Rang, Bash, and Sonic Boom as individual characters.

I think back when I was a kid, and I would have thought it was the greatest shit ever if my dad was into this crap. Hopefully my kids don't take this for granted, lol.

Anyways, I'm considering picking up the 3DS version at some point. It's a totally different game, right?

Totally different game. More of a platformer than dungeon crawler.

Also comes with 2 exclusive figures (though Ignitor will eventuality be sold separately)

Double D

Thanks. I'm actually surprised at how fun the game is and how well the portal works. They're RFID, right? I actually have an RFID reader and writer. Hmmm....

Sora_N

Drill Sergeant is available in Canada. My local Walmart had almost nothing but him at one point.

However, Whirlwind, I had my girlfriend bring back from a visit to the USA.

I've never seen one at my local WM, I might hit up a few tomorrow then!

I just bought Whirlwind at Toys R Us in New Brunswick Canada.....they had a whole wall of just her, like 50 of them. And I was there on Xmas Eve and they weren't there, so they were holding them back for some reason (exclusivity just expired maybe?) GOGOGOGO!!!!

Holy crap! I work at electronics at TRU, good thing so I can actually know first-hand if TRU gets 'em or not hah! Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely excited now!

goldenpp72

There's one in the main post; but doesn't have pictures for each...

(quoting makes the image smaller, so click -and hold- to see it bigger)

What I mean to ask is, will there be more skylanders released aside those, or are all the figurines that will exist out now.

Double D

I'm pretty sure there are more guys scheduled to come out. My kid keeps asking for 'Camo' and 'Warnado' and I can't find them anywhere.

Also, are you guys who are managing to find them in store going there when shipments get delivered? Maybe it's because it's the week after christmas, but Best Buy, Target, and Walmart don't have a single Skylander at their stores. Toys R Us had a decent amount but it was pretty much all the same dudes we already have.

SorchaR

I'm pretty sure there are more guys scheduled to come out. My kid keeps asking for 'Camo' and 'Warnado' and I can't find them anywhere.

Also, are you guys who are managing to find them in store going there when shipments get delivered? Maybe it's because it's the week after christmas, but Best Buy, Target, and Walmart don't have a single Skylander at their stores. Toys R Us had a decent amount but it was pretty much all the same dudes we already have.

Yes they are part of the third wave, together with Slam Bam, Bash and sunburn. Sunburn is supposed to be part of a level set.

My daughter got the game for Christmas, and absolutely loves it. She's been ill for a year now, hasn't been able to go to school since April, and watching the game bring a smile on her face is awesome!

We got her Stealth Elf for Christmas with the game, and picked up Hex, Eruptor and Zap yesterday. The nearby toyshop had a whole rack full when we got there, by the time we left most of them were gone. The place was packed with kids all running around with Skylander figures :)
She really wants Whirlwind but we can't find that one anywhere for a reasonable price. It's £25 at Amazon, and £40 on Ebay. My mother in law in the UK said she'd check the local Tesco's but they were out. Does anyone know if Whirlwind is being sold anywhere in Ireland?

acm2000

so, are the figures region free? US figures are alot cheaper than uk ones, i would assume they have the same chips in, right?

also has anyone investigated the disc content to find out how many skylanders and level packs activision can milk out of this before needing dlc?

Zing

Banned
so, are the figures region free? US figures are alot cheaper than uk ones, i would assume they have the same chips in, right?

also has anyone investigated the disc content to find out how many skylanders and level packs activision can milk out of this before needing dlc?
There will never be DLC. The game is complete. Everything is known. If you look at the image linked on this same page, you will see everything.

There are 37 total Skylanders. The 32 regular ones, 4 legendaries, and Dark Spyro.

There are four adventure packs. The two unreleased ones are called Empire of Ice, and Dragon's Peak. The items and figures for each are also known. They are explicitly listed in the official strategy guide.

There are currently 23 of the 32 Skylanders released, not counting legendaries or the Dark Spyro, neither of which are treated any differently in-game other than their skin, and give you no special benefit to your "collection". The in-game collection only shows the regular 32. Although, it appears the 3DS version has all 37 in its "collection".

Sora_N

My store got Whirlwind today! I was so excited I called my gf from work just to let her know, now we both have one. Very nice design on her imo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Now I'm curious.

So what's the consensus on 3DS vs console?

Also, which packs/characters are rare and should I be on lookout for?

They're both good. Console is more dungeon crawler. 3DS is a completely different game and is more of a platformer.

As for rare characters. Whirlwind and Sonic Boom seem to be the hardest to find due to the previous exclusive on Whirlwind and Sonic Boom being the only other wind element currently available. Stealth Elf also seems to be quite popular, but you get her with the 3DS version if you go that route.

Sora_N

I'll need to give this a shot. Thanks for the response. Overall, fun game? good online (for console)?

Fun game, yes if you like arcade style beat'em up games or if you don't mind them (for console). No online for any console versions, only local 2-player.

Top Bottom