• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

acm2000

There will never be DLC. The game is complete. Everything is known. If you look at the image linked on this same page, you will see everything.

There are 37 total Skylanders. The 32 regular ones, 4 legendaries, and Dark Spyro.

There are four adventure packs. The two unreleased ones are called Empire of Ice, and Dragon's Peak. The items and figures for each are also known. They are explicitly listed in the official strategy guide.

There are currently 23 of the 32 Skylanders released, not counting legendaries or the Dark Spyro, neither of which are treated any differently in-game other than their skin, and give you no special benefit to your "collection". The in-game collection only shows the regular 32. Although, it appears the 3DS version has all 37 in its "collection".

surely they will exploit dlc after the ones on the disc are used up, i mean, its easy money

Zing

Banned
surely they will exploit dlc after the ones on the disc are used up, i mean, its easy money
The game is not programmed for DLC, so, no.

four legendaries? Which one does not come in the 3-pack and how to buy it?
Trigger Happy. No one knows how he will be available. Getting any official info is absolutely impossible, despite the company constantly spamming their Twitter and Facebook accounts with "who is your favourite character", "caption this photo", and "who would win in a fight" marketing junk. Pretty much every entry on their Facebook has many comments asking where the new figures are, and there is never any response.

Ramma2

Just spent the entire morning driving about 100 miles and hitting up 6 stores trying to find any life or air elementals so we could have 1 from each element. Very bad selection everywhere! Finally came across a 3 pack at Target that had Wrecking Ball, Sonic Boom and Stealth Elf. Last 3 pack they had.

Zing

Banned
They all get ridiculously strong once you get most of the upgrades, but Sonic Boom in particular is just over the top. Large area of effect roar that triggers more individual roars when it hits enemies or the chicks. Basically walk into a room and everything dies in one roar.

Finally got to open and play after waiting months with all the released characters and adventure packs hiding in my closet and I gotta say this game is really good. My skylander addictions died after getting everything released but after playing I'm going to keep an eye out for the unreleased characters

bumpkin

After hearing a lot of good things from a friend of mine, I decided to track this game down yesterday; gift cards FTW! I've always had a fascination with miniature figures and trading card games - Yu-Gi-Oh Dungeon Dice Monsters was crack to me - so those things integrated into a video game is a new formula of crack.

I'm lovin' the game so far, played through 3 or 4 chapters last night. The gameplay is simple, the art has a distinct flair, the characters are charming, and Patrick Watburton voicing Flynn? Absolute win.

I think I need to find me some figures today!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've now been to 6 different stores, none of which had a single individual figure in stock. Seriously frustrating.

bumpkin

I've now been to 6 different stores, none of which had a single individual figure in stock. Seriously frustrating.

I checked three while I was out and about today; Target, Best Buy and Toys R Us. The only store that had any figures at all was Toys R Us, but it was all 3-packs. I was looking for single figures though, too. :-/

Zing

Banned
Stores were overflowing with stock for the first two months. You are indeed LTTP. ;)

Don't worry, I will also be complaining once the final 10 figures are released and I can't find them anywhere.

fernoca

Figure availability will get better during this months... apparently.

They already talked about not been able to meet demand for this holidays, since sales of the game/figures was outperforming the expectations.

Probably why some of the upcoming figures were "delayed" until like Summer 2012.

Double D

After a week or so of post-Christmas figure hunting, I'm getting pretty close to having all of the figures (aside from legendaries). I had gotten the kids a couple of individual figures before Christmas, not really knowing how all of this worked, so I've got a few duplicates. To top off my week of slipping down this ridiculous rabbit hole, I bought the 3ds version today.

Now I'm only missing Drill Seargent, Whirlwind, Eruptor, and Chop Chop. I've actually got duplicates of Sonic Boom, Stealf Elf, and DinoRang. I'd really love to trade them if anyone has dupes of the figures I need. They are open ( 2 from 3 packs, 1 from 3ds pack) but are unused and have the cards and the online code. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Also, I think my target is supposed to get a bunch of whirlwinds in any day now, so I'm going to get as many as I can. I'll let you guys know if I get any extras.

Lijik

I'd like to get into this game but I have a few questions:
1- I've looked at all of the figurines and honestly the one I most want to play as is Gill Grunt. However Im more interested in the 3DS version. Is there some cheap way to get either Gill Grunt or the 3DS game (without the portal and figurines) on their own without paying for everything else? Dropping $120 bucks just to play as the skylander I want on the platform I want isn't very appealing.
2- Theres Adventure packs, do these unlock stages in the 3DS version as well or is that only on consoles?

Lijik

Looks like buying the items you want off of eBay is your best bet. You'll need the base which, thus far, is only sold with the package.

As far as your second question, what the 3DS version of the game does is lock out segments, or challenges I should say, unless you have the appropriate elemental type. Each section will tell you what elemental is required to give you an idea of what character to go pick up in order to play.

I'll check Ebay out.
For the second one, Im talking about the packs that come with like a ship and unlocks an additional stage.

EDIT- Looks like picking up the 3ds Game/Portal on their own and the console version is a better deal than getting Gill on his own and the 3ds version
I'll probably go with that, but its still pricer than Im willing to spend at this moment! In a like a week or two probably. Thanks again for the tip, Anabuhabkuss!

I have them all except the exclusives to walmart and target. The best place I've found to find them is Kmart. I swear people forget it exists.

Zing

Banned
If you just want the 3DS game and portal but don't care for the figures, people are selling them relatively cheap on ebay. People buy the 3DS pack and resell the figures individually, leaving them with the game and portal. Ignitor and Dark Spyro were selling for $30 each a few weeks ago.

Double D

I have them all except the exclusives to walmart and target. The best place I've found to find them is Kmart. I swear people forget it exists.

Holy shit, you're right! I've been creeping on like 5 stores a day and totally forgot to check Kmart as a viable resource. Shit, I guess Sears probably has them, too!

Ramma2

We got the pirate seas adventure pack with the big bundle that was sold at Best Buy. Came with:

]Terrafin

Pirate ship that unlocks a new level, plus if you play it during a normal level you get a canon barrage that hurts enemies

Dragon Chest Finder - hides an invisible chest in each level that gives you a bunch of treasure when you find it.

Crossed swords - like the pirate ship, when you play it in a normal level a bunch of swords appear in the world and attack enemies for you.

So if you subtract the cost of the figure (8$) you're paying 12$ for about 30 minutes of new content plus some not very great level bonuses.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Holy shit, you're right! I've been creeping on like 5 stores a day and totally forgot to check Kmart as a viable resource. Shit, I guess Sears probably has them, too!

I dunno, I've been to 2 KMarts and they had no stock at all just like everywhere else.

Zing

Banned
Experience comes like water. Treasure is the hard thing to accumulate for upgrades. That hidden dragon treasure helps quite a bit.

Finding the legendary treasures is a must since they provide 800+ gold in the later levels.

TheGrue

They just posted this on Facebook:

We are working hard to get more Skylanders in stores as fast as possible! Starting in mid-January, you'll also be seeing Skylanders that haven't yet been released. We've listened to your requests and are pulling together as much info as we can share – check back at Facebook soon.

BooJoh

I really hope I can snag the new figures when they come out before my local stores get picked clean. Every time I go to WalMart here they just have a couple Adventure Packs on the shelf and that's it.

Zing

Banned
The last time they talked about new Skylanders coming, it was three weeks later when they finally hit the shelves.

Too bad the comment is ambiguous. It doesn't clarify if we will see all of the final 10, or just 2-3 of them like last time.

Double D

Went by all the stores again. GameStop had a decent stock and I picked up the last 2 non exclusives I was missing. Now I just need whirlwind, drill sergeant, and the toys r us legendary pack.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Managed to snag Dino Rang on Amazon for 6 bucks just now. They had one left last I looked.

Double D

Just leaving target with the only whirlwind they had. The guy said someone returned it! He looked in their system and it said it was discontinued. Anyways, if it wasn't for my kids this thing would be on eBay immediately.

Just leaving target with the only whirlwind they had. The guy said someone returned it! He looked in their system and it said it was discontinued. Anyways, if it wasn't for my kids this thing would be on eBay immediately.

damn nice find! No luck in my area.

Double D

damn nice find! No luck in my area.

I've done a little poking around and the speculation is that whirlwind is showing as discontinued because he will no longer be exclusive to Target. Makes me want to sell him now that much more, but I've already told my son so thats not really an option.

RobbieNick

EbJAP.jpg

Guess who's not very popular with the kids? Poor Boomer.

Double D

So, there are upgrade paths?! I thought there were just upgrades, and you'd eventually have them all, but now I'm reading that there are paths? Now, despite my gamertag showing that I've beaten the game and all that, my kids have played most of that game and done all the upgrades. I'm just the guy who brings home Skylanders every day.

So, that being said, are there any paths that are way better than others?

Also, it looks like the next triple pack will be Drill Sergeant, Whirlwind, and Double Trouble.
It's also rumored that Cynder is coming out, along with another adventure pack, so maybe he'll be in that.

EbJAP.jpg

Guess who's not very popular with the kids? Poor Boomer.
HAHAHA!!! We were at the Toys'R'Us in St.Catharines, Ontario just a few days ago and saw the exact same situation! I said the same thing to my wife and daughter. "Poor Boomer! Nobody wants him!" We didn't get him at the time because we were looking for 3-packs and the Pirate Adventure pack. I think we'll go back in the next few days and grab one because we need Boomer anyway, plus I feel sorry for the little guy.

But, man, it's ridiculous trying to find ANY characters (other than Boomer) right now. No frickin' way I'm paying $60+ for a 3-pack on eBay. I'll take my chances when the new batch comes out in the next 1-2 weeks.

P.S. - My 5-year old daughter and I are having a BLAST with this game. She absolutely loves switching the characters on and off the portal. Simply a brilliant idea...

Zing

Banned
a
So, there are upgrade paths?! I thought there were just upgrades, and you'd eventually have them all, but now I'm reading that there are paths? Now, despite my gamertag showing that I've beaten the game and all that, my kids have played most of that game and done all the upgrades. I'm just the guy who brings home Skylanders every day.

So, that being said, are there any paths that are way better than others?

Also, it looks like the next triple pack will be Drill Sergeant, Whirlwind, and Double Trouble.
It's also rumored that Cynder is coming out, along with another adventure pack, so maybe he'll be in that.

In almost every case I pick the upgrade path that affects the secondary attacks. Upgrades that just make people shoot faster/stronger/more seem kind of boring.

The adventure pack contents are already known. "Empire of Ice" (Slam Bam, Sky-Iron Shield, Anvil Rain) and "Dragon's Peak" (Sunburn, Sparx Dragonfly, Winged Boots).

goldenpp72

Found a couple packs that contained chop chop, voodood and prism break, sold one on ebay for 40 bucks, lol. The ebay situation for this game is insane, people pay 40 bucks for ignitor, 20-30 for dark spyro or stealth elf, why not just buy the 3ds game?

We also can't find the figures anywhere, we did buy an additional skylanders thing in the form of a mega pack that was on sale for 80 bucks, had the pirates pack and a 3 char pack along with the game, but now we're trying to get rid of the game part since we have it.

This has been a really fun project though, fiancee loves the figures and game, and I liked both the console and the 3ds versions a good deal, how many figures are actually out right now? I think we have about 18.

bumpkin

I went on the hunt for figures tonight after hearing about some people's luck, but found the same situation as last week. Not a single figure at Best Buy or Target, and two different adventure packs at Toys R Us; Darklight Crypt and the High Seas/Pirate whatever set. I went with the Crypt because the skeleton-ghost looking dude was cool! :D

Kids these days have all the best stuff. It's funny that Activision beat Nintendo to the punch on a direct toy-to-game connection.

I've had 2 lockups on the PS3 version: one happened on the loading screen before the final boss, another when I was spamming rainbows and clouds as Whirlwind on a screenful of enemies. Very annoying.

I love this game but I really feel like there's some weakpoints in the characters and world.

"Ghost Roaster" - really? That's the best name you could come up with?

Flynn - this guy is basically a ballooning rapist. Why is he always talking about the ladies? If you do a scenic tour of the Skylands, its all he talks about. He also has no role in the gameplay or story.

The upgrade fairy - this is the WORST character design of this generation. It is abysmal in every way and doesn't fit the rest of the world at all.

Its very surprising there's not more connectedness between the world and the Skylanders. On the 3DS version, there's a sort of common set of bad guys and good guys and thing cohere relatively well. The console game is a bit all over the place. Once the Core of Light sequence begins we have a nice pace and loads of great content. But the world still feels thrown together. But then at the end, the six-armed Akyean (sp?) statue is totally amazing. How is he and the fairy in the same game? Come on.

I hope if there's a sequel that they have more time to make a coherent set of supporting characters. Its close to being one of the most entertaining games this gen.

I think my boy has all of them that are available including the legendaries and the ones from the 3DS pack - yah I kind of went overboard for him these past couple months. I want the rest of these out now, dammit.

goldenpp72

I love this game but I really feel like there's some weakpoints in the characters and world.

"Ghost Roaster" - really? That's the best name you could come up with?

Flynn - this guy is basically a ballooning rapist. Why is he always talking about the ladies? If you do a scenic tour of the Skylands, its all he talks about. He also has no role in the gameplay or story.

The upgrade fairy - this is the WORST character design of this generation. It is abysmal in every way and doesn't fit the rest of the world at all.

Its very surprising there's not more connectedness between the world and the Skylanders. On the 3DS version, there's a sort of common set of bad guys and good guys and thing cohere relatively well. The console game is a bit all over the place. Once the Core of Light sequence begins we have a nice pace and loads of great content. But the world still feels thrown together. But then at the end, the six-armed Akyean (sp?) statue is totally amazing. How is he and the fairy in the same game? Come on.

I hope if there's a sequel that they have more time to make a coherent set of supporting characters. Its close to being one of the most entertaining games this gen.

The game suffers story wise by being written for children, children who won't give a fuck about any of that. It is a relatively generic, crappy story/world with some good moments, hopefully the massive success this saw over the holidays means a more developed, pretty sequel with more polish can be made. That said I did enjoy the game, i'd give it an 8 but think the 3ds one is a bit stronger despite not being co op.

Zing

Banned
I think the story and script are great.

The only character names I have a problem with are the "real" names, like Spyro and Cynder. I vastly prefer the descriptive names.

Top Bottom