• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Keikoku

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Wow, so he has different expectations to others and he's being criticised for holding them. Truth is that Bethesda could deliver something a lot better looking than what we're getting on PC, that doesn't mean that what we're getting suddenly looks bad but that PC gamers expect something better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

Since when this is a bad or even average looking game ? This game looks great, sure not as great as TW2 but it's much more bigger in terms of scale.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Mr_Brit said:
Oh come on, the PC version is all but assured to look 95% identical to the 360 version, Todd Howard himself said so.

That could easily be seen as crowd control to appease the console masses. It's not fair to judge until the very thing you are judging is in front of you.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
bengraven said:
I think the most important question is: how long until we get the sex mods? Two days; 1 week, 2weeks?

Wait, it's not running on Gamebryo anymore, so it might take them a while to import their mods to the new engine.

(god, I totally skip over the "adult" mods at Nexus - it's ridiculous)
It's pretty sad that despite some of the amazing work that has come out of it, how the mod community for Oblivion and the Fallouts can be incredibly creepy sometimes.

I'm not really sure if Fallout 3 needed bouncing breasts, more prostitution, tits all over the Pip-Boy or ones that turn every woman in the game into anime children but they're there.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
if they do high-res textures first and then downscale them for 360 then I see no reason to not put them on PC. This will only provide higher sales.

Wazzim

Banned
Keikoku said:
It's Dennis2K. He's not even able to appreciate a good art direction. Just let him stick to Two Worlds 2.
No he has a point, Skyrim isn't a 10 million game like The Witcher 2 but far bigger and yet the graphics are worse. When you're developing on PS3/360/PC and you're making a game that originated from the PC then you have no freaking reason to have the 360 as lead SKU. It's utterly ridiculous.
Doesn't mean it's a bad game, doesn't mean I'm not going to play it but it surely is a major rip-off for the PC gamers. I seriously like to talk to the moron thinking having the 360 as lead SKU was a good choice, I mean: atleast chose the PS3 then, it's the hardest of the 3 to code for. It's essentially just the same bullshit Bioware pulled with DA2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's even more ridiculous given the fact that you can downscale the game all the way for consoles because as this thread shows console gamers don't care about graphics that much while PC gamers do.

wit3tyg3r

subversus said:
if they do high-res textures first and then downscale them for 360 then I see no reason to not put them on PC. This will only provide higher sales.

The textures are going to be high-res for the PC version like they always have been. There's always the option to up the texture quality in the PC settings. It's the 3D meshes that won't be done again, though.

Jarmel

Banned
Whatever. What's done is done. The 360 is lead because it generates the most profit. Bethesda is not going to bother doing another set of textures just for the PC. It's not going to happen, the amount of work for the payoff is just stupid. It looks great for a 360 game and the artistic style is great. If you don't like it don't buy it. However it's a waste of time and money for them to just upgrade the graphics just for the PC. I would rather that time be put into testing or adding features.

bengraven

Dr. Chaos said:
It's pretty sad that despite some of the amazing work that has come out of it, how the mod community for Oblivion and the Fallouts can be incredibly creepy sometimes.

I'm not really sure if Fallout 3 needed bouncing breasts, more prostitution, tits all over the Pip-Boy or ones that turn every woman in the game into anime children but they're there.

I'm not sure what scares me most: the need for a prostitution/fuck everyone in the game mod (especially the most detailed ones)...

Or the need to turn an apocalyptic wasteland into a colorful, clean slightly damaged world full of anime characters.

We haven't even seen the PC version yet, just screens of the unfinished Xbox 360 version so I don't see why there is an issue here, especially with E3 a mere 3 days away.

We should just be happy we're getting it at all :)

Lakitu

st5fu
What started out as a simple criticism has now gotten out of hand. I want to view the thread to see the eventual E3 stuff.

bengraven

The days of the PC exclusive RPG are basically over. Definitely over if you say "bigger budget, mainstream company made".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
holy fucking shit, woolly mammoths, this is going to be amazing

wish we could see some PC footage, but lol, yeah right

Wazzim said:
When you're developing on PS3/360/PC and you're making a game that originated from the PC then you have no freaking reason to have the 360 as lead SKU. It's utterly ridiculous.

No, it really isn't. PC fanatics just need to come to terms with the fact that the Elder Scrolls is no longer an RPG series that caters exclusively to PC gamers. Lament that all you want, but ever since Morrowind released on the original Xbox Bethesda have been trying their damnedest to appeal more to the console crowd and I don't think it's at all unreasonable of them to want the game to perform similarly on all platforms they're releasing it for, rather than waste time and resources catering to the PC crowd that, I would hazard a guess, isn't as valuable to them as the console market is nowadays.

But hey, you can't please everybody. Just be thankful that the modding community will 'fix' any perceived 'flaws' in short measure after the game has released.

Solo

Snuggler said:
holy fucking shit, woolly mammoths, this is going to be amazing

wish we could see some PC footage, but lol, yeah right

The first PC footage will be shown on 11.11.11 when we all boot it up for the first time.

CrazyDude

bengraven said:
Wait, isn't that one of those giants standing among the mammoths?

Because if so...mammoths will be huge.
Mammoths were huge. Amazing of Ice Age humans could hunt these things.

1200283717.jpg

Saige

I must do better.
Bootaaay said:
No, it really isn't. PC fanatics just need to come to terms with the fact that the Elder Scrolls is no longer an RPG series that caters exclusively to PC gamers. Lament that all you want, but ever since Morrowind released on the original Xbox Bethesda have been trying their damnedest to appeal more to the console crowd and I don't think it's at all unreasonable of them to want the game to perform similarly on all platforms they're releasing it for, rather than waste time and resources catering to the PC crowd that, I would hazard a guess, isn't as valuable to them as the console market is nowadays.

But hey, you can't please everybody. Just be thankful that the modding community will 'fix' any perceived 'flaws' in short measure after the game has released.
I don’t want Bethesda to “cater exclusively to PC gamers”, I want them to cater the game best to which ever platforms they put it on. I just expect more from a high budget game from a well to do developer, they should have the resources to be able to provide the best possible experience on every platform.

When I’m paying money for a product, I don’t care for the “be happy you’re getting anything at all” mentality.

wit3tyg3r

Solo said:
The Witcher 2 isn't PC exclusive. Neither is Two Worlds II. Nor Risen.

True, but Witcher 2 was developed for PC and is being ported to 360. I think that if Bethesda followed this model, then all the people who are bashing Bethesda about graphics would be appeased...but it's the business model that Bethesda is getting down to because the majority of their sales are on 360.

bengraven

CrazyDude said:
Mammoths were huge. Amazing of Ice Age humans could hunt these things.

1200283717.jpg

Oh I know, but those giants were also like three times human size. And these are four times the size of a giant. That's a large mob...

Apath

Solo said:
The Witcher 2 isn't PC exclusive. Neither is Two Worlds II. Nor Risen.
Yet there is a key difference between a game made for PC and brought over to consoles, and a game made for consoles and brought over to PC (in a sense).

fizzelopeguss said:
Still waiting for my oblivion soft shadows...*whistles*

Yeah soft shadows looked amazing in the Oblivion tech demo demo.
I doubt we'll see them in Skyrim, though :(

We probably won't see soft shadows until Elder Scrolls VI on Xbox3, PS4 and PC. Although I'm sure current high-end PCs could handle them, we just won't have them in the PC version of Skyrim since Skyrim has obviously been built with current HD consoles in mind. I hope I worded that decently enough...

Saige said:
I don’t want Bethesda to “cater exclusively to PC gamers”, I want them to cater the game best to which ever platforms they put it on. I just expect more from a high budget game from a well to do developer, they should have the resources to be able to provide the best possible experience on every platform.

Yes, but my point was that maybe Bethesda would prefer all 3 versions to perform to a similar standard, rather than have the PC version making full use of power that would take it above and beyond it's console counterparts. If that puts off some PC players buying the game then that's something Bethesda will have to gamble on.

Saige said:
When I’m paying money for a product, I don’t care for the “be happy you’re getting anything at all” mentality.

It's not that mentality, more simply "buy it, or don't". If it's such a big deal that Bethesda have made the lead SKU the 360, or aren't taking full advantage of the latest leaps in PC technology, then don't buy it, but I suspect that most, if not all, of the complainers will be buying the game regardless.

NBtoaster

wit3tyg3r said:
The textures are going to be high-res for the PC version like they always have been. There's always the option to up the texture quality in the PC settings. It's the 3D meshes that won't be done again, though.

For Fallout 3 the textures on PC were about the same res as the PS3 version. Very low res overall.

bengraven

NBtoaster said:
What's wrong with the shadows that are in now?

It doesn't look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtvj_pqxvs#t=1m35s

Lilsnubby said:
Knowing Bethesda it'll be Max Von Sydow and those three other guys.

You mean the surly elderly sailor who's played the Nords in the last two games, the same African-American male who's played the Redguard in every game since Redguard itself, and fucking Mrs. Zenimax/Wonder Woman herself Linda Carter?

bengraven

NBtoaster said:
What's in Skyrim is probably based on the same tech, but lower resolution. Hopefully you can crank up shadow res on PC.

You can see why they removed them from Oblivion though, Look how terrible the game is running in such a small enclosed area.

It's more a shame that no one could put them back in as PCs improved.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I came into this thread looking for information and found a fucking argument. Yay.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Fjordson said:
Yeah, speaking as a console peasant, this is looking mighty fine.

*prepares to be stoned*

I agree. But I don't get hung up on stuff like graphics. Because, you know, game play>graphics.

Trickster

Fjordson said:
Yeah, speaking as a console peasant, this is looking mighty fine.

*prepares to be stoned*

I'm not even a console peasant, and I think it will look great on my pc running at 1200p with 4xAA and 16AF.

The people that are getting butthurt over the graphics are the people that place way to much importance on graphics and think any game that doesn't look as good as Crysis 2, Metro 2033 or The Witcher 2, are games that looks bad.

Gravijah

So excited for this.
WinoMcCougarstein said:
I agree. But I don't get hung up on stuff like graphics. Because, you know, game play>graphics.

but it's a bethesda game the gameplay will be horrible!

Wallach

Nobody's going to see me for like a month after this game comes out. Maybe I should just cancel Christmas or something. We do that shit every year anyway.

Kyaw

So, are we getting gameplay on only the 360 at E3?

Also we'll see how good The Witcher 2's version looks on the 360 for sure.

Dead Man

subversus said:
it's even more ridiculous given the fact that you can downscale the game all the way for consoles because as this thread shows console gamers don't care about graphics that much while PC gamers do.
You mean PC gamers are hand waving dilettantes who only care about the visual? Agreed.

Will be buying for PC, and I think it looks fine, open world games ALWAYS look less impressive in terms of fidelity than closed ones.

Top Bottom