• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim gets high res texture patch with the release of the Creation Kit

How much does vram does vanilla use @1080p ultra?
Ultra shadows kills my framerate at 1920x1200. Any other setting is smooth. I guessing it just pushes it over the edge of the 1GB of VRAM in my 560 Ti.

So my totally unscientific estimate is that it uses just over 1GB.

Arucardo

Ultra shadows kills my framerate at 1920x1200. Any other setting is smooth. I guessing it just pushes it over the edge of the 1GB of VRAM in my 560 Ti.

So my totally unscientific estimate is that it uses just over 1GB.

Before the 1.4 patch ultra shadows killed my framerate even with a 580 GTX, after the patch I can play fine with ultra shadows and never drop below 60, most of the time it's around 70-80 in cities/outdoors and 120fps indoors.

Got this on release, and I've only put in perhaps 10 hours so far. With all the recent optimizations and now possibly HR textures, it's kinda worked out for the better!

I want comparisons, people, and I want them stat.

(Hopefully it's better than fan made texture replacements. I appreciate the effort, but they always seem to look wrong, like they think that one kind of wood is just the same as another kind even if the hue or brightness is different, and that as long as it's higher res, it doesn't matter if a carpet is missing a pattern or whatever)

epmode

I want comparisons, people, and I want them stat.

(Hopefully it's better than fan made texture replacements. I appreciate the effort, but they always seem to look wrong, like they think that one kind of wood is just the same as another kind even if the hue or brightness is different, and that as long as it's higher res, it doesn't matter if a carpet is missing a pattern or whatever)
It's likely that the developer has higher resolution assets available so it should look good.

I agree about third party texture packs. While they're often a lot sharper and more impressive technically, they often wind up looking worse aesthetically.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Once installed, can you activate and deactivate the high-res texture pack at will, or do you have to "uninstall" it if it turns out the FPS impact is too great (I have 2GB of VRAM, so I guess I should be fine, but since my laptop is no monster I'm a bit cautious)?

moop1167

What happens if you activate it and you've got 4-5 other texture packs installed? Does it override them? I am trying to see whether or not I need to uninstall the ones I have right now before using this.

Once installed, can you activate and deactivate the high-res texture pack at will, or do you have to "uninstall" it if it turns out the FPS impact is too great (I have 2GB of VRAM, so I guess I should be fine, but since my laptop is no monster I'm a bit cautious)?
Since it is downloaded in separate .esb's I guess you can activate/deactivate it from the mod list.

jediyoshi

What happens if you activate it and you've got 4-5 other texture packs installed? Does it override them? I am trying to see whether or not I need to uninstall the ones I have right now before using this.
If they involved dropping stuff into your Data\textures folder and such, then yep.

Before the 1.4 patch ultra shadows killed my framerate even with a 580 GTX, after the patch I can play fine with ultra shadows and never drop below 60, most of the time it's around 70-80 in cities/outdoors and 120fps indoors.
That was more down to poor optimisations it seems. The 1.4 patch has given me a more consistent 60fps too, but Ultra shadows still kills my frames in certain areas.

SHarris78

Is anybody elses steam not working, keeps telling me to try later, so not only can't i play this game, but none of my others.

Nice going Steam!

oh man. OH MAN.

I can't wait to get home and download this...or wait, do I decide to just sit and level my Merc in TOR instead? Decisions...

burgerdog

hi res
teshr18np7q.jpg

vanilla
tesvn1d7rj5.jpg

hi res
teshr2znqdt.jpg

vanilla
tesvn2jrqw4.jpg

Yes, hi res pack 1 and 2 are on in the data files. There's probably still something wrong and it's not activated.

edit
Oh, look at the fur in picture one, that's a bit better so IT IS working.

There we go, was using the wrong password to get manual isntall going. I haven't played Skyrim in a month or two, I'm very excited to see whats what with these official textures, and the CKit.

inky

I played for a while and couldn't tell a difference tbh. Load times and performance was about the same so maybe they are not loading properly?

edit: so it seems like they are... weird.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's so strange to see high-res textures in Bethesda's game that aren't drawn from scratch but really just a high-res version of the same texture.

Khal_B

After installing the texture patch the game won't even launch for me. I keep getting: "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim failed to start (error code 51)". That's pretty messed up. Anyone else having this issue?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
wtf
should've gone here and checked it out first
4 gb dl for that?!

it's not such a huge jump to be worth it

i would've preferred a lot more optimization to make it run perfect and to fix the glitches in side quests

epmode

Warning: 7 MB images

Vanilla (no AA)

https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...EjT2Gg/TESV 2012-02-07 18-03-30-51.png?psid=1

+textures (no AA)

https://public.bay.livefilestore.co...0C39vA/TESV 2012-02-07 18-04-41-50.png?psid=1

LOOK AT THAT WOOD

There seems to be a almost fanatical hatred of amateur texture packs on some areas of this board

Because a whole bunch of amateur texture packs are more concerned with cutting your eyeballs on razor sharp textures than they are with matching the original's style. See: Every Half-Life 2 high-rez texture pack in existence.

Downloaded the textures, applied them, played for a bit, exited, and deleted them. I honestly did not see much of a difference :/

Top Bottom