• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim PS3 patch 2.01 is out. (at least in Europe)

Ardenyal

We need more impressions

Played for an hour and a half. Did some questing for the empire and wandered around dicking around. Didn't notice stuttering getting progressively worse, only stutters were caused by streaming in new assets. So i decided to do my usual stutter test (rotate the camera at full speed in front of my own house in whiterun). Couple stutters when starting the test but they didn't persist so it seems that the problem is fixed.

STG

ok, after reading the bugthesda forums I now know I am not alone. others also still have those lags :/

distrbnce

Banned
I haven't had any problems on the PS3 (phat) and I'm level 27 with about 8MB save...

Hope the patch doesn't screw anything up for me.

calder

Okay scratch what I said. Slideshow now. :(

Lol I don't know why I let myself get even mildly hopeful after the first page of this thread. FFS... ah well here's hoping it helps my case at least a bit. The game is still playable for me (60 hrs, 11M save) for an hour or two depending on how much travelling I do and how much I'm in the larger cities/main world versus the 'indoor' areas. :\

I'm about to go pick this up so I was reading through the thread and have seen posts both here and in the OT about the size of save files. Does having larger saves make the game run shittier or something?

LiK

I'm about to go pick this up so I was reading through the thread and have seen posts both here and in the OT about the size of save files. Does having larger saves make the game run shittier or something?
Runs shittier and cause crashes.

Cheech

Does the problem still persist if you're using a new save? In other words, load your save, then create an entirely new save. Then, load your game off the new save. Somebody try that and see if it helps.

-KRS-

Wait, 2.x? So this is now Skyrim 2? :p
Did something absolutely major change? Like, gameplay-wise? Because otherwise I don't think Bethesda knows how to use version numbers.

@darkwing: Hah, you'd be lucky if most reviewers even got halfway through the main quest.

linkboy

My game is going back today. Either I'll get store credit or my money back. I just don't want to deal with this anymore.

Which sucks, because Skyrim is everything I've really ever wanted in a video game

Great fantasy setting, check

Fighting Dragons, check

Ability to pretty much do whatever you want, check.

Such a shame that this fantastic game is ruined like this.

anddo0

I hope the US patch goes up soon. I want to judge for myself.

I've found that the biggest drops occur in cities such as Whiterun (the worst offender) and Riften. Also, fast traveling seems to trigger it, especially when dragons force their way into your game.. Don't even get me started on the frame drops they present. When a dragon is in the vicinity that's when things really turn to crap.

If this path doesn't fix things. I'm afraid Skyrim is going on Amazon. I hate playing the waiting game for patches to fix major issues. It's for this reason why I stopped playing sports video games.

My game is going back today. Either I'll get store credit or my money back. I just don't want to deal with this anymore.

Which sucks, because Skyrim is everything I've really ever wanted in a video game

Fighting Dragons, check

Pretty much this.. Getting rid of it will hurt. But, playing the way I do now (quitting the game every half hour just to make it playable). Just shouldn't be.

calder

how was this 'bug' not said in the PS3 game reviews? it's even 95 in Metacritic, they just played the main quest??

It would have been pretty easy to play the main quest, the civil war and a few other subquests/factions and still be done in a few dozen hours and not start getting the framerate issue. And since the file size depends on a lot of factors (such as how much you use fast travel versus opening up the map) you can see people who have played for longer than me (60 hrs) who don't notice the slowdown and conversly people who haven't played nearly as long but who explored the whole map finding their save unplayable much sooner.

Also, it seems most if not all sites who do multiplat reviews got the 360 version for review, and at least one site that specifically requested the PS3 game fore review got the 360 one anyway. :p

Hanmik

I hope the US patch goes up soon. I want to judge for myself.

I've found that the biggest drops occur in cities such as Whiterun (the worst offender) and Riften. Also, fast traveling seems to trigger it, especially when dragons force their way into your game.. Don't even get me started on the frame drops they present. When a dragon is in the vicinity that's when things really turn to crap.

If this path doesn't fix things. I'm afraid Skyrim is going on Amazon. I hate playing the waiting game for patches to fix major issues. It's for this reason why I stopped playing sports video games.

most people are reporting that everything was fixed. But after several more hours of gaming, the game went back to stop-motion land..

People wrote that their savefile was smaller (most say it was around 1 MB smaller) after the patch.
So maybe Bethesda thought they just could cut some corners and everybody would forget about them..

I'm sorry to say but this problem has been around since Oblivion and with both releases of Fallout on PS3. Their engine does not play well with PS3 and it's really fucked up for them to continue to release products for it in this condition.

Nope, the only issue the 360 version has is the game won't load textures properly, but the bulk of that was happening when the game is installed to the hard drive.

That's a shame. I don't have a 360 but I may have to get one now that both the PS3 versions of Skyrim and Bayonetta are broken as hell. Fuck.

JerkShep

probably.. or they never played the PS3 version..

This is the official version, reviewers played only the 360-PC version.
The irony is that the 360 has a pretty big texture bug and NONE reported it in their reviews.
I want to believe that the review copies didn't have that problem. The alternative...well... yeah, let's just say that those reviewers should be ashamed of themselves.

darkwing

I'm sorry to say but this problem has been around since Oblivion and with both releases of Fallout on PS3. Their engine does not play well with PS3 and it's really fucked up for them to continue to release products for it in this condition.

yup, got burned on Fallout 3

I played oblivion on the 360 and skipped fallout.... That is fucked up.

crustikid

Fighting Dragons, check

Where are you returning it? I want to do the same.

Gibbles17

Well, excitement from reading this thread has dropped off significantly. Playing for a few hours consecutively is the real test and in a lot of cases it looks like it still hasn't helped very much. How depressing, wonder if there's any hope for another patch that's reasonably close, probably not :(

Was at ~50 hours in with a 7.3mb file, all autosaves disabled. Get the stutter after an hour and a half or so of playing, obviously I'm not in as much of a jam as you 10mb+ folks but I'm still holding out for a solid fix. Will update when patch goes live in NA.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In the words of Dennis Green,

From my private stash my friend

dennisgreenclfh.jpg

how was this 'bug' not said in the PS3 game reviews? it's even 95 in Metacritic, they just played the main quest??

Because a lot of sites will just review the version sent to them and that score will count for every version of the game. I don't think that Bethesda sent out any review copies for the PS3 version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Where is the texture patch for the superior 360 version?

You mean the absolute end all be all PC version patch? That's coming.

Welp... Hello, USED 360 version!

Realistically, this is what people should be doing. Don't care about 2 versions being ok but this is unacceptable for any company to be doing. Not like, avoid PS3 versions. No, punish them and buy second hand or wait for a sale.

Top Bottom