• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim PS3 patch 2.01 is out. (at least in Europe)

darkwing

Because a lot of sites will just review the version sent to them and that score will count for every version of the game. I don't think that Bethesda sent out any review copies for the PS3 version.

lol and this will win the PS3 game of the year awards by default

linkboy

Where are you returning it? I want to do the same.

I bought mine at my Play N Trade (was the only person to get the PS3 copy, shame on me). I'm going to talk to the owner to see what I can do (I know them well). If she doesn't, I'll probably take it to Gamestop and put it towards the MGS HD Collection or Uncharted 3.

I really wish I didn't have to do this, Skyrim is just to damn awesome. Such a shame all of this is happening.

lol and this will win the PS3 game of the year awards by default

If the PS3 version wins any awards, we'll know how biased and full of shit this industry is (even though it's not blatently obvious how biased and full of shit this industry is).

It would have been pretty easy to play the main quest, the civil war and a few other subquests/factions and still be done in a few dozen hours and not start getting the framerate issue. And since the file size depends on a lot of factors (such as how much you use fast travel versus opening up the map) you can see people who have played for longer than me (60 hrs) who don't notice the slowdown and conversly people who haven't played nearly as long but who explored the whole map finding their save unplayable much sooner.

I've said this before and I definitely agree. It is entirely *entirely* possible to play this enough to review it (even THIS game) and not experience these issues. Totally.

Well, excitement from reading this thread has dropped off significantly. Playing for a few hours consecutively is the real test and in a lot of cases it looks like it still hasn't helped very much. How depressing, wonder if there's any hope for another patch that's reasonably close, probably not :(

Was at ~50 hours in with a 7.3mb file, all autosaves disabled. Get the stutter after an hour and a half or so of playing, obviously I'm not in as much of a jam as you 10mb+ folks but I'm still holding out for a solid fix. Will update when patch goes live in NA.

Hell, I'd take the "success" some of these people are reporting. I'd be glad if I could play an hour or two with a smooth framerate, I can't even load up the game at this point on my main without lag. Takes AGES to load the first time and once I get there it's instantly choppy and only slowly gets worse. I used to be able to stave it off with restarts.. nay, no longer.

Does the problem still persist if you're using a new save? In other words, load your save, then create an entirely new save. Then, load your game off the new save. Somebody try that and see if it helps.

You can start a new character and everything will be just dandy. Until that save starts creeping toward double digits, then it begins. I tried.

Kyoufu

If the PS3 version wins any awards, we'll know how biased and full of shit this industry is (even though it's not blatently obvious how biased and full of shit this industry is).

It's still GOTY. It's not like you can't progress because of the stuttering. If that was the case, I wouldn't be enjoying the game so much right now.

It's still GOTY. It's not like you can't progress because of the stuttering. If that was the case, I wouldn't be enjoying the game so much right now.

Hmm... ffuuuu well maybe I'll still get it and just hope that some legit fixes come along before any of the chaos starts happening. Plus I'm still playing Zelda anyway.

KageMaru

Wow that really sucks that the issue isn't completely fixed. =( I'd love to know what is causing the issue but I'm sure we'll never find out.

This is the official version, reviewers played only the 360-PC version.
The irony is that the 360 has a pretty big texture bug and NONE reported it in their reviews.
I want to believe that the review copies didn't have that problem. The alternative...well... yeah, let's just say that those reviewers should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe the reviewers didn't bother installing the 360 version? The bug mostly only hits after the game is installed, I've been playing from the disc (waiting for the patch) and have maybe ran into a blurry texture twice in my 80 hours of playing.

Where is the texture patch for the superior 360 version?

It's in cert right now.

Cheech

You can start a new character and everything will be just dandy. Until that save starts creeping toward double digits, then it begins. I tried.

Since the patch? If they changed the way save files are written as a way to help solve this issue, you wouldn't notice a change until a new save file is written post-2.01 and loaded. I'm talking about a game in progress, BTW, though starting a new game would obviously see the same effect.

Since the patch? If they changed the way save files are written as a way to help solve this issue, you wouldn't notice a change until a new save file is written post-2.01 and loaded. I'm talking about a game in progress, BTW, though starting a new game would obviously see the same effect.

My bad, it's pretty obvious what you're saying now, just misread it. I'll have a great candidate to try all kinds of things with since I have a 12 meg deadlocked save. It's mostly unplayable.

Kyoufu

Hmm... ffuuuu well maybe I'll still get it and just hope that some legit fixes come along before any of the chaos starts happening. Plus I'm still playing Zelda anyway.

I really can't not recommend this game, PS3 version or not.

Yes there is stuttering after hours of gameplay. To fix it temporarily, you exit to the XMB and re-load the game. Yes, it is annoying and something that should have been fixed before the damn game shipped...

BUT, it's not something I'm going to put down the game for or sell my copy. It's really fun. You just have to go to the XMB when you see bad stuttering, which is something I personally have done once or twice a day, at most.

GOTY so far for me, unless it pulls a Dark Souls and takes a shit towards the end.

GenericUser

I couldnt talk to the corrupted agent in dragonsbridge and after the patch finally pressing x to talk worked!

oh thank you! I already have 2 quests I cannot finish, hopefully these zombies will disappear with the patch.

I'am so happy right now that bethesda seems to have made their homework, a 92Meg Patch is pretty big and from the impressions in this thread I think it really addressed most of the major complaints people have.

I guess I can at least see how it goes, and hopefully they actually fix it soon. I watched my gf's brother play the PS3 version over the weekend and there were no problems from what I saw. But it does sound like it doesn't start happening until later and he only had about 18 hours on the clock.

Cheech

I can recommend the PC version. I passed 60 hours last night, and while I do get the odd crash to desktop, it is a fantastically playable experience. I haven't had any broken quests or corrupted saves yet, and the frame rate has been fluid and very nice. It really isn't that demanding of a game unless you insist on running everything on Ultra quality on 3 year old hardware.

The other complaint about the PC version that I haven't seen is the keyboard controls. Which I haven't seen because I'm using a 360 pad to play.

LiK

Yes there is stuttering after hours of gameplay. To fix it temporarily, you exit to the XMB and re-load the game. Yes, it is annoying and something that should have been fixed before the damn game shipped...

BUT, it's not something I'm going to put down the game for or sell my copy. It's really fun. You just have to go to the XMB when you see bad stuttering, which is something I personally have done once or twice a day, at most.

GOTY so far for me, unless it pulls a Dark Souls and takes a shit towards the end.

58 hours on 360 for me. Skyrim is fucking amazing. Thanksgiving holiday was basically all Skyrim for me.

Alchemy

I can recommend the PC version. I passed 60 hours last night, and while I do get the odd crash to desktop, it is a fantastically playable experience. I haven't had any broken quests or corrupted saves yet, and the frame rate has been fluid and very nice. It really isn't that demanding of a game unless you insist on running everything on Ultra quality on 3 year old hardware.

The other complaint about the PC version that I haven't seen is the keyboard controls. Which I haven't seen because I'm using a 360 pad to play.

I passed 60 hours in the PC version and have gotten TWO bugs. One was a crash to the desktop, one involved not being able to back out of a conversation I was in with a merchant moments after an auto save. Neither set me back anymore than two minutes.

I've completed numerous full story chains, hundreds of side dungeons and quests, and wandered damn near everywhere. I'm getting flawless performance out of my gaming rig (built last year) and no more bugs than I've seen in other games.

I might be the minority, but Skyrim is easily my GotY. By a complete order of magnitude. Makes Skyward Sword and Gears of War 3 look like amateur hour.

I really feel sorry for our console only relatives, the PS3 version just sounds like a big tease.

Kyoufu

58 hours on 360 for me. Skyrim is fucking amazing. Thanksgiving holiday was basically all Skyrim for me.

Dude, I hated Oblivion, loved Dark Souls and never thought I'd be Skyrim's bitch. 54 hours now and it is blowing my mind all over the walls. So good!

Cheech

Dude, I hated Oblivion, loved Dark Souls and never thought I'd be Skyrim's bitch. 54 hours now and it is blowing my mind all over the walls. So good!

Oblivion was my game of the generation...until Skyrim. It took everything Oblivion did well, made it better, and ditched anything that was not conducive to fun.

The game hits all the hyperbole and then some. Heh.

IMO, unless your PC is still running a Core Duo from 2005, just play it on PC and go with the Low quality settings. It is going to be like playing it on a 360, but with faster loading times.

Sullichin

I don't think its fair to blame reviewers for not mentioning the PS3 save file bug. They have to review a lot of games and I'm sure they don't always have time to beat a game as big as Skyrim, not to mention that they probably weren't given the PS3 version.

Posts that say "reviewers should be ashamed of themselves" etc just don't jive with me. Some people here hold game reviewers to ridiculous standards. They are doing their job. Just because a reviewer didn't mention a bug that you experienced doesn't mean that there's a conspiracy about it. Don't act like they owe you something. You don't have to listen to their opinion!

Blame bethesda!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Imagine it on PC looking like this

tesv2011-11-2421-21-3gy78c.png

xxczx

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/28/skyrim-1-2-update/

Patch notes (for PC, PS3 and 360)

I don't think its fair to blame reviewers for not mentioning the PS3 save file bug. They have to review a lot of games and I'm sure they don't always have time to beat a game as big as Skyrim, not to mention that they probably weren't given the PS3 version.

Posts that say "reviewers should be ashamed of themselves" etc just don't jive with me. Some people here hold game reviewers to ridiculous standards. They are doing their job. Just because a reviewer didn't mention a bug that you experienced doesn't mean that there's a conspiracy about it. Don't act like they owe you something. You don't have to listen to their opinion!

Blame bethesda!

I don't think it's fair to not mention a rather large game breaking bug. That certainly doesn't jive with me. These guys are getting paid to sit on their ass and review games. There is no excuse for it.

I don't think it's fair to not mention a rather large game breaking bug. That certainly doesn't jive with me. These guys are getting paid to sit on their ass and review games. There is no excuse for it.

It's fair if they played 70 hours and didn't encounter it. What will you have them do exactly?

The_Monk

But... I just ordered the 360 instead. Well, I guess I'll be good.

Patching coming to 360 also, right? But is the patch the same for all 3 platforms? Or does it address to different situations?

Thanks for answering.

JerkShep

Blame bethesda!
Come on, the PS3 save file issue and the 360 texture are not minor bugs. Basically EVERYONE are experiencing them. Should I believe that for some miracolous coincidence only the reviewers were saved?
They can give 10/10 to Skyrim, I don't mind. But they can't review a game without mentioning that one console version becomes unplayable after 40 hours and the other has N64 texture level (obviously I'm exaggerating here) . It's just offending.

LiK

But... I just ordered the 360 instead. Well, I guess I'll be good.

Patching coming to 360 also, right? But is the patch the same for all 3 platforms? Or does it address to different situations?

Thanks for answering.
Different fixes. Check the patch notes.

Aaron

I had the peaceful dragon bug. It was kind of annoying. I couldn't start a quest because the people kept freaking out about the dragon, but it would just fly around and my arrows do so little damage I couldn't kill the damn thing.

The_Monk

Different fixes. Check the patch notes.

Just saw that, thanks.

So the major one for the 360 is the textures when running the game from the Hard Drive, nice.

Can't believe finally my 360 is going to get some love and attention, can't wait to play this!

Sullichin

Come on, the PS3 save file issue and the 360 texture are not minor bugs. Basically EVERYONE are experiencing them. Should I believe that for some miracolous coincidence only the reviewers were saved?
They can give 10/10 to Skyrim, I don't mind. But they can't review a game without mentioning that one console version becomes unplayable after 40 hours and the other has N64 texture level (obviously I'm exaggerating here) . It's just offending.

I don't know about the texture bug in 360, but i'm just saying if they reviewed the PS3 version, they might not have played it long enough to get the save fragmentation bug. Because they have so many games to play. Not saying it's an acceptable bug to have in the game at all.

krioto

WTF is going on - downloaded the patch and now get instant lock-up of PS3 when try to go outside - I'm stuck in Helga's Bunkhouse in Riften for ever it seems. 97 hours played and now what????

Fix this shit bethesda.

EDIT - after 3 hard restarts, I can now exit the building - let's see how long this holds up.

playing on a launch unit and had very seldom stuttering in crowded places pre-patch. tried the patch today for three hours straight and can confirm: the framerate got improved, particularly in cities.

so far, i can't complain. love to hear more impressions.

edgefusion

So far so good. Just opened the menu and saw "auto saving..." pop up in the corner but it wasn't coupled with a 5 second freeze. Thank god for that! Here's hoping I can play it for longer than an hour now.

Souther

Banned
They stated that the patch would be out on Nov 30th for NA, but I just got prompted to download and update to 1.02 and it was 92MB. I'm pretty sure this is the patch.

I live in Canada.

Owzers

*reads patch notes*

It can't be that rare, for some of the stuff. I've had 3 dragons not attack me and 1 dragon not give me a soul after it died. 30 hours in i think.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have had multiple crashes with both the ps3 and pc version. I have had corrupted saves on pc. I have also seen lavender armor and lavender trees and bright yellow heads. There is a lot wrong with this game and yet I continue playing. I don't know if this patch will fix things, and I only can imagine how much more fun I would've having if I didn't have the constant crashes. I am seriously tempted to buy the x360 version.

Anteater

Patch is out for the asian version, found out because the game froze on me during auto save and I had to reset the ps3 :D

Lets see if this will make it better or worse!

Top Bottom