• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
I don't really get why they're forcing this on us when people clearly hate it. This was executed horribly. They should undo the changes and try again.

Mesoian

I don't really get why they're forcing this on us when people clearly hate it. This was executed horribly. They should undo the changes and try again.

You can't go back. You can only move forward and work through the labor pains. Honestly throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the way to go here but there are so many milestones that we're going to have to work through with this.

I'm waiting for the day someone who's save gets corrupted by a paid mod goes to reddit and the internet catches on fire. Or becomes slightly warm and clammy, whichever comes first.

Look at some of the shit people are trying to get on the store:

Hearthfire mod that does nothing but make it so you can build your house for free without materials or anything. 3 dollars.

Free gold "You might be saying to yourself, why not use the console commands for money? Well that would be considered cheating. And that ruins the game. " 3 dollars

+ several of the same shit for like a dollar... ingredients... blacksmithing ingredients...

As someone who just recently spent 150+ hours in skyrim and all the DLC, this has absolutely no appeal. I wouldn't even pay for project nevada for fallout new vegas, let alone the stuff here.

You can't go back. You can only move forward and work through the labor pains. Honestly throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the way to go here but there are so many milestones that we're going to have to work through with this.

I'm waiting for the day someone who's save gets corrupted by a paid mod goes to reddit and the internet catches on fire. Or becomes slightly warm and clammy, whichever comes first.

I personally can't wait for the day where a paid mod secretly installs a backdoor to your computer. By the time anyone notices, it'll be too late.

Etnos

Banned

Valve has always had this tone-def autistic relationship with the community, is almost like if they were a company mainly run by software engineers... ohh wait ;)

anyway, they probably have a GDC talk about governance with algorithms, data driven decision making or whatever... When that stuff works, its great.. when it doesn't... well.. shouldn't subestimate the human factor homie

Compsiox

Banned

The fact that they are hiding ratings is really bad. Valve is better than this. I know it wouldn't be the best idea to just throw it out but damn. Valve's reputation's going to die. (I don't consider it dead yet cause this how the internet always reacts to change).

Mesoian

Look at some of the shit people are trying to get on the store:

Hearthfire mod that does nothing but make it so you can build your house for free without materials or anything. 3 dollars.

Free gold "You might be saying to yourself, why not use the console commands for money? Well that would be considered cheating. And that ruins the game. " 3 dollars

+ several of the same shit for like a dollar... ingredients... blacksmithing ingredients...

As someone who just recently spent 150+ hours in skyrim and all the DLC, this has absolutely no appeal. I wouldn't even pay for project nevada for fallout new vegas, let alone the stuff here.

One of the more interesting things that's going to happen with these dumber cheat mods is that people will turn around and make clones of them for free. It's only day 3 and these kneejerk protest mods won't be around forever, but most of the entire mod marketplace on steam is going to get devalued almost instantly.

They should scrub the non paid ratings and restore it if that's the case. Not just hide all ratings.

Indeed. And that'll probably happen.

I'd just chalk this one up to Friday.

Aselith

Debunked... how? It's there. We have the cached version, so its not like it was photoshopped, if that's what you're implying.

Debunked by the fact that they said you'd need to purchase the mods to rate them and you've got 1500 one star reviews in a very short period. It was most likely due to a bug that allowed rating without a purchase and the star reviews were removed due to the bug.

ironcreed

Banned
As big as the modding community for this game is, it does not surprise me one bit that someone eventually saw dollar signs. I feel for the PC crowd on this one for sure, as the open nature of PC gaming is being compromised hardcore with moves like this.

The Llama

Debunked by the fact that they said you'd need to purchase the mods to rate them and you've got 1500 one star reviews in a very short period. It was most likely due to a bug that allowed rating without a purchase and the star reviews were removed due to the bug.

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the first claim (that you'd need to purchase to rate), but the second part I disagree with. They clearly had the reviews visible, then moved (or removed, but I'm not 100% sure) them. It's not hard to see what. But I really do need to get to bed so if you can find any proof for what happened I'll check it in the morning.

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the first claim (that you'd need to purchase to rate), but the second part I disagree with. They clearly had the reviews visible, then moved (or removed, but I'm not 100% sure) them. It's not hard to see what. But I really do need to get to bed so if you can find any proof for what happened I'll check it in the morning.

From the OP "Q. Why can't I rate all the mods I see in the Steam Workshop?
A. For paid Workshop items, you need to have purchased the item before you can rate it."

Vibranium

Banned

Only way out is to make mods free and have donation options. If Valve had done this from the get-go there would have been little outcry. Give people emoticons and trading cards for donating or something.

Even if they clamp down people will finds ways to make paid stuff free.

Qd4PNSW.png

In a nutshell, Skyrim Unplugged was an addon that stopped Skyrim from updating through Steam. Well, someone explained it better than me-

It means that if you are connected to the internet with steam in the background, you will get a forced update to Skyrim no matter what.

Programs similar to Skyrim Unplugged are also invalid, and will not stop a forced update.

The theory is that Valve and Bethesda have collaborated to stop any access outside of Steam Workshop after this patch to maximize profits off of Steam Workshop.

Nexus will go into the ground unless the Oblivion Starbound and Fallout modders can keep it afloat.

The 'theory' stuff is his belief on it but....hrm.

Aselith

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Q. Why can't I rate all the mods I see in the Steam Workshop?
A. For paid Workshop items, you need to have purchased the item before you can rate it.

Now that this doesn't necessarily mean that Valve didn't supress 1500 dissatisfied purchasers that played 17 mods within hours of the paid mods going live but it seems more likely that it was astroturfed given the fact that Valve is not known for trying to suppress criticism.

One other possibility is that 1500 people purchased the package specifically to down vote it and then requested a refund.

Or maybe Valve actually became assholes what do I know

Mesoian

Only way out is to make mods free and have donation options. If Valve had done this from the get-go there would have been little outcry. Give people emoticons and trading cards for donating or something.

Even if they clamp down people will finds ways to make paid stuff free.

You cant take a piece of a donation though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I feel like this will inevitably shake out for the better in terms of the depth and quality of mods, and giving meaningful incentive for developers/publishers to provide mod tools, but this was not planned out well. Another plus; modders getting paid for fixing shit games like Skyrim.

Bethesda getting paid for people fixing their broken shit.

Mesoian

In a nutshell, Skyrim Unplugged was an addon that stopped Skyrim from updating through Steam. Well, someone explained it better than me-

The 'theory' stuff is his belief on it but....hrm.

I mean...sure, but there AREN'T anymore skyrim updates. I'm not even sure why you'd want to use something lower than the most recent version if you're modding at this point.

Like, there's NEVER going to be a Skyrim 2.0. Bethesda is DONE with Skyrim. They have been for quite some time.

Find a way.

They did.

Dolor

Likely been posted, but the creator of Garry's Mod chimed in on the paid mods situation.

http://garry.tv/2015/04/24/paying-for-mods/

I2e8VX5.png

Solid sane words...

This is the one time in my life where it seems like the elites of the gaming industry seem to actually have much more sense about things than the gaming community at large.

Still can't help but feel that a lot of this is people afraid that they might actually have to start paying a fair market price for how awesome modding is...

If it's awesome now, wait until people actually have a reason to do it beyond it being a hobby....

I'd like to see some indication of how many people have paid for the mod, and even a display of how many people refunded.

It'd be a good gauge of the quality of a mod to know whether people consider it worthwhile paying for after trying, and inversely, refunding it if it's a dud.

Mesoian

Solid sane words...

This is the one time in my life where it seems like the elites of the gaming industry seem to actually have much more sense about things than the gaming community at large.

Still can't help but feel that a lot of this is people afraid that they might actually have to start paying a fair market price for how awesome modding is...

If it's awesome now, wait until people actually have a reason to do it beyond it being a hobby....

I think the question is, "What is the fair market price?" Its something that has to be created because it doesn't exist right now.

Danneee

I remember a time when modders were doing it as a hobby for fun.
And 25%? It sounds like the publisher wants to make profit of modding than anything else.

Mesoian

There have always been paid mods. The difference between those previous and what we're looking at now is that those paid mods were usually either full conversions or major expansion packs, things that added huge amounts of content to an existing package.

They certainly weren't cheat mods or comedy mods.

Are they going to allow this for other games soon. I guess that is a safe assumption. But will it just be for very select few or a wider variety?

And 25%? This sounds more like the publisher wants to make profit of modding than anything else.

I would be concerned if your memory didn't last past a few days ago
4mC962j.gif

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It's somewhat growing pains, but it's also quite easy for me to see it leading to bad things, especially with some of the directions Valve, and moreso Bethesda, have taken in regards to payment breakdown, as well as lack of 'guaranteed support' for mod breakage and whatnot, and the inability to get a refund after 24 hours, even if the mod itself suddenly breaks, doesn't get updated, etc...

Not necessarily a direction I'd like to see continued in Fallout 4, though that's likely the plan.

Dolor

PC Gaming being "better than ever" is extremely debatable. As a platform, yes it's cheaper and more efficient on a technical standpoint. But "PC Gaming" has nothing to do with gaming business practices which have gone worse from the pre-order hammering to releasing more and more unfinished products and additional content day one behind paywalls.

As far as modding, well you can already see it. Yes, I am afraid of modding being dead as a creative force. Between the ones having to take down their mods because others use them in return for money, with no real control (let's not fool itself, Valve already can't stop fucking shitty games to get on their platforms and release for 5 to 10 bucks. What makes you think they will even be able to keep control on the modding scene ?). And since Steam is the good ol' monopoly that it is, and people from the nexus are taking down mods by the hundreds, there's a very real chance that steam becomes the de-facto DRM platform for modding, in which the majority (of the useful ones) will be paid, rest will be scraps, and some unscrupulous devs, precisely like bethesda, will use a community by getting money to help their buggy games at release and still get cash for it.

To think that this scenario might never ever happen is incredibly naïve today, when we've seen far worse. Far from hyperbole.

How in the world does Steam both become the de facto "DRM for mods" and only serve paid mods? Is Steam now going to stop you from using free mods outside of Workshop? Surely those people that wanted to make free mods before now won't all die, right? Such huge (il)logical leaps to get from here to any scenario where this dooms modding in PC gaming.

And you actually think we've seen far worse in the gaming industry than the complete destruction of modding within PC gaming? That seems unbelieveably hyperbolic. Please cite even one example that is that catastrophic...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Solid sane words...

Nothing he wrote is sane.

He promotes pirating. Then laments at how Pirating almost killed PC Gaming. His inane ramble actually calls Valve and Bethesda assholes unintentionally.

"Stuff is going to happen. There was a time where they’d almost completely stopped making PC games because of piracy. Should we really let the fact that sometimes people are assholes dictate what we do? Or should we just deal with it when it happens?"

To him even if these assholes dictate what we do, we should just deal with it.

This guy is not an unbias 3rd party, he's made A LOT of money from Garry's Mod.

He also thinks the market is going to correct itself, but even according to a post you made "Valve can do that because what are modders' alternatives?"

bounchfx

Solid sane words...

there's a lot of people overreacting about the whole situation. There's certainly problems to iron out, and yeah 25% is a hard pill to swallow and will hopefully be reevaluated, but to say this is going to kill modding.. what? ...wat? No. sorry, but no. It might feel really greedy and wrong in the short term but the truth is adding an element of monetization to mods WILL bring more people to the scene and encourage more effort/better mods in the long run. We might not see it for a bit unfortunately because good mods usually take a lot of effort and time.

It really comes down to giving the contributor the options. As of now, they can still set things as free. If they choose not to, then that's their prerogative, but it's good that they have a choice and a marketplace that lets fans directly support them in an easy and integrated way.

The big clusterfucks seem pretty skyrim specific right now, considering all the interdependent mods and how poorly steam configures them compared to the other available options.

There's a lot of stuff to iron out, absolutely. Will this kill mods? Not a chance in hell. The only thing that will kill mods is if people suddenly lost all desire to make mods. I wouldn't get mad at the developer of a game if a modder decided to put a price on their own work.. that doesn't make any sense. Other games will most likely benefit very heavily from this as long as the initiative isn't scrapped, and it giving modders/hobbyists/etc more opportunities to make and share their work is only a good thing.

Also, to the people saying mods should always be free, and that 'modders' should find a real job if they want to get paid, etc: you're an idiot. It's their time and up to them how they want to distribute their work. You have the choice not to buy it or support them. Just because there hasn't been an en-masse infrastructure to support ways to help modders profit from their work doesn't mean there shouldn't be. It's all about choice and options. If the modder wants to release their work as free, there is nothing stopping them.

Dolor

I think the question is, "What is the fair market price?" Its something that has to be created because it doesn't exist right now.

Luckily we have a pretty robust system for determining the fair market price for just about anything...

I am pretty much a down the line liberal in life, but the level of skepticism in the power of the free market to determine pricing in this is sort of breathtaking.

All these posts about how these terrible mods have huge prices on them as if people don't know how to react to things that are sold at a bad value
don't buy them

Make sure to never go onto eBay or Craigslist, because there's tons of worthless junk there being offered at ludicrous prices
that will never be sold
too.

BraXzy

Likely been posted, but the creator of Garry's Mod chimed in on the paid mods situation.

http://garry.tv/2015/04/24/paying-for-mods/

I2e8VX5.png

I've not been following the drama but I pretty much agree with him.

One thing I don't get is people going after Valve and Bethesda for taking cuts. Valve are providing the store front so that the mod gets seen and Bethesda created the game people are making mods for in the first place. Maybe the percentages need to be tweaked a bit to like 33% each way but I think it's acceptable.

Mesoian

Luckily we have a pretty robust system for determining the fair market price for just about anything...

Well...we WILL, but if anything, the robust nature of the marketplace seems to be under question at the moment.

If anything, SkyUI being priced at 1 dollar is going to torpedo the price of every mod currently available for sale.

aliengmr

Solid sane words...

At 25%? Good luck.

A $2 sword isn't going to pay the bills. Its all going to be about reducing overhead and maximizing the amount of products. Hence the minor cheat mods showing up.

Garry's mod had no fucking competition either.

That fair market price is going mostly to Valve and Bethesda.

Dolor

He also thinks the market is going to correct itself, but even according to a post you made "Valve can do that because what are modders' alternatives?"

I think 25% is low, but I think the person who said that there is a lot of value in getting to mod for a hugely popular game like elder scrolls is worth a lot, and I think that makes a lot of sense.

Making a very popular mod for Skyrim can probably reach a lot more people for a lot less work than making your own RPG from the ground up. That's because Bethesda has done some of the hard work of selling XX million copies of Skyrim already, and so leveraging that should come at a cost.

I still think 25% is low, but I am not as opposed to it as I was initially.

But I think the free market is much more important on the sales side. Modders can put their stuff up for sale for whatever price, but no one is forced to buy it, and just like with the indie game scene, there will be many incentives to price aggressively to get more people using your mod so that you get sales through word of mouth.

And yes, as much as I love Valve and Steam, I would also love EA or CDPR or someone to come along and offer their own similar SteamWorkshop equivalent as real competition to Steam's. I am not holding my breath though.

Marcel

"Let's trust the market to decide" gave us: DLC, paid online, games as a service, homogenized gameplay meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator, day 1 patches, draconian EULAs and now paid mods that will inevitably eat away at the modding community and divide it.

I don't trust the market and don't trust interloper corporations to do what's right. They're just going to fuck up the community and you're going to fuck it up too if you contribute to this farce with your dollars.

My response to Garry's post xposted from the Steam thread:

The biggest problem is that Valve just sort of unleashed this Pandora's box into the world and seem to be expecting it to regulate itself, which is simply not completely possible. And they obviously don't have the capability or desire to curate it themselves, like they do with Dota/TF2/CS:GO cosmetics.

Valve doesn't seem to care so long as they get your money, washing itself of obligations while plunging the modding community into ethical and legal grey water.

It's extraordinairly disturbing to say the least. As an idea, it's maybe not horrible and possibly a good thing in some cases, but the initial implementation has been so atrocious that it has forever sullied the concept in the minds of many.

*In response to the the Garry's Mod post.

Bizzquik

Solid sane words...

Totally agree.

People will pay $10 for a well-done, multi-hour playthrough mod like Falskaar. I'm sure many of us here would pay $10 for Skywind, Skyblivion, Beyond Skyrim, etc - just to make sure they actually get released.

But giving the content creator (mod author) just 25%....? That's a hell of a license fee.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think 25% is low, but I think the person who said that there is a lot of value in getting to mod for a hugely popular game like elder scrolls is worth a lot, and I think that makes a lot of sense.

Making a very popular mod for Skyrim can probably reach a lot more people for a lot less work than making your own RPG from the ground up. That's because Bethesda has done some of the hard work of selling XX million copies of Skyrim already, and so leveraging that should come at a cost.

I still think 25% is low, but I am not as opposed to it as I was initially.

But I think the free market is much more important on the sales side. Modders can put their stuff up for sale for whatever price, but no one is forced to buy it, and just like with the indie game scene, there will be many incentives to price aggressively to get more people using your mod so that you get sales through word of mouth.

And yes, as much as I love Valve and Steam, I would also love EA or CDPR or someone to come along and offer their own similar SteamWorkshop equivalent as real competition to Steam's. I am not holding my breath though.

Bethesda sold that many copies partly because modding. I would not have fucking bought the PC version at launch if I knew they would pull this shit at some point. The vanilla game isn't very interesting. They are doing this four years after the game has been out selling a lot of copies BECAUSE of the modding scene. There is an implicit value to the product that you could continue improve it through outside means. I absolutely believe Skyrim wouldn't have sold anywhere near the numbers it has had with Mods being hidden behind a paywall.

Dolor

Well...we WILL, but if anything, the robust nature of the marketplace seems to be under question at the moment.

If anything, SkyUI being priced at 1 dollar is going to torpedo the price of every mod currently available for sale.

Well, I think patience is a virtue here. Maybe we give this relatively new concept and system more than a day before we pass final judgment...

At 25%? Good luck.

A $2 sword isn't going to pay the bills. Its all going to be about reducing overhead and maximizing the amount of products. Hence the minor cheat mods showing up.

Garry's mod had no fucking competition either.

That fair market price is going mostly to Valve and Bethesda.

Specific examples like this aren't very helpful. A $2 sword may not pay the bills for some people, but maybe it's awesome movie money for an aspiring teenager. Or maybe it's an enormous sum for people in the developing world. Or maybe it is so great that it sells 1 million of them and it is real money for just about anyone.

"Let's trust the market to decide" gave us: DLC, paid online, games as a service, homogenized gameplay meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator, day 1 patches, draconian EULAs and now paid mods that will inevitably eat away at the modding community and divide it.

I don't trust the market and don't trust interloper corporations to do what's right. They're just going to fuck up the community and you're going to fuck it up too if you contribute to this farce with your dollars.

Bunch of weird comments here. You realize that even before this the market was dictating how many mods were made right? People still have to eat no matter what, so if mods don't pay for food, less mods can be made. Now some people might be able to eat by making awesome mods rather than by doing something that doesn't make my life better. That's a win-win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom