• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword NA Commercial or; NoA's Awful Marketing Strikes Back.

Pyrrhus

This sort of thing wouldn't happen if the marketing people had a personal relationship with the thing they were trying to sell. Such a person would have been able to whip up something with a lot more resonance than whatever that was. It was a decent concept but they didn't know any of the visual or aural shorthands of the series that would have made it both faster paced and more impactful.

Needed another stage in this person's life where he's in college playing Windwaker in his dorm. High as a kite, laughing and laughing at Link while he sails his boat in a circle for 30 minutes straight.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's fine. This won't reach fans but the message is clearly for older fans with families, something the Wii has no problem with.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm gonna say it:

NoA's gone to crap since Cammy left.

I know. I KNOW. But the timing matches up. Arrived in '07, left October of last year.

Coincidence?

I'm in that target demographic and all I want to do is tell Nintendo how much I hate everything about that ad.

Cammy would have never let this happen.

Kandinsky said:
Meh i liked it (watched it w'o sound), thats totally me with my kid there, so yeah it works.

Pretty much, I liked it.

This isn't going for the people that already want to play Zelda, it's going for the crowd that needs to find Zelda again.

Retro

There's only one word for this commercial....
Ra1Li.jpg

Edit:
^^^ Iirate gets it too.

The 'grown up' playing Skyward Sword is so clean-cut and dorky-looking I want to reach into Youtube and kick his ass. He's got such a chump "oh golly jee, this sure is FUN, oh boy!!" expression on his face and that fucking sweater outfit... this commercial, to me, says "This is a neat-o game for daddies to play on junior's Wii", not "Hey, this is a cool game from a series you grew up with, you should buy it."

Guys dressed like that walk into Gamestop accidently thinking it's Inkstop (same damn typeface, but no excuse) and then quickly walk back out. If you're getting your games at Toys R Us, sure, you can look like that... but how is this even close to "targeting the gamers" like Nintendo keeps saying they want to do? Love Nintendo but they can be so frustrating sometimes.

Also, why does Dad play while Junior stands there mimicking? Why not let the kid play if it's all about passing it on to the next generation?

Ugh. Bad commercial all around.

ShockingAlberto said:
Fuck if I know. They moved a year later and I don't even remember their last name. I think it might have been Whitman...or White...or something.

Then I moved out of the state about seven years after that.
Hey man, stranger things have happened. I randomly bumped into a girl I used to hang out with years later in World of Warcraft. For her to be on the exact same server and faction, in the same location, getting emoted at so I'd see her familiar name pop up in text as I passed? Crazy odds.

You find that neighbor and you tap it. For all of us. That's the only way to salvage this thread from the horrible commercial. Go get her!

EatChildren said:
Brb, penning a spiritual successor to The Wizard.

Jenny Lewis as the hot red-headed neighbor or no dice.

Mmm.... Jenny Lewis...

jTEBW.gif

Awesome commercial! Not the biggest fan of cel shaded zeldas since wind waker, so the comparison between Skyward Sword, the original zelda, and ocarina of time is a bit of a stretch for me. Btw, Nintendo of America sucks ass. I'll buy this america-localized zelda title after you localize pandora's tower, the last story, and xenoblades for america. kthxbai

jackdoe

The Robin Williams commercial was actually pretty good. It had some celeb endorsement and got the point across. This is just shit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This commercial made me realize how old I am and how short life is. The version for Zelda on Wii 4 will feature me with a grandpa push thingy. Fuck you NOA.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It... could have been worse.

After seeing the Robin and Zelda Williams commercial, this NoA one really pales in comparison.

Lunar15

I think this isn't a commercial, but just a video for the website.

It's too long, and it isn't structured like a TV spot. Let's hold out hope, guys.

WillyFive

That was terrible.

They are selling the game to those who would have bought the game regardless.

They should be selling it to those who wouldn't and need persuasion.

You know, marketing.

This is a minute and 10 seconds, it's a promotional movie to be played online only. Definately not what you'll see on TV, or in ads, or in movie theaters, etc.

It's not very good, but I doubt this is the leading the forefront of their marketing materials.

The Robin Williams/Zelda Williams one is.

joesmokey

Medalion said:
This is the Trilogy of Zelda games that matter apparently in NOA's mind

The orignal Legend of Zelda
Zelda Ocarina of Time

and now Skyward Sword

that's a pretty damn bold statement
The original Zelda establishes the frame of reference. Ocarina is used because it's available on the 3DS. I wouldn't read much more into it.

Amir0x

Banned
hahaha if this is really the commercial. It's like a parody of the family Wii play videos had sex with a parody of "remember videogames?" nostalgia whore videos. It's the most hilarious misfire commercial I've seen in this industry since last week

BY2K said:
Yo! *HighFive*
HighFive 's back

also Link to the past on snes should be there since its on VC

Littlegator said:
12 years old - 1990s
25 years old - 1980s
35 years old - 1950s

for me it would be 5-8 for NES/SNES zelda , yes i started playing games at a early age

donny2112

This seems like a commercial scripted by people who have never played video games.

Guy1: Oh, this game came out before. It's a remake!
Guy2: No, it's different games each time.
Guy1: Who'd buy a game more than once?
Guy2: No, it's like this long-running thing since the 80s.
Guy1: Oh, like someone played it in the 80s and now their kids can play it?
Guy2: Yeah, I guess.
Guy1: Oh, let's do the commercial about that!

Criminal Upper said:
This is a minute and 10 seconds, it's a promotional movie to be played online only. Definately not what you'll see on TV, or in ads, or in movie theaters, etc.

It's not very good, but I doubt this is the leading the forefront of their marketing materials.

The Robin Williams/Zelda Williams one is.
The Robin and Zelda Williams one is for Europe, just like the others.

overcast said:
Pretty damn bad.

Random, but how did DKCR sell?
Like 5 million or something at the end of March.

watershed

Banned
The commercial wasn't terrible, I like the idea of showing a zelda fan grow up with the games. The VO was a little off but overall it was a fine commercial.

RedSwirl

If I had footage of past games into a 60 second commercial I'd choose the original and OOT as well. Those were at least the two biggest leaps forward in the franchise.

EvetS

I see that Nintendo also acknowledged that Wind Waker is the best Zelda and Skyward Sword couldn't top it.

Chuckpebble

I watched that thing earlier, then I went through the rest of my daily routine and decided I could do a better job.

So, if anyone was curious as to what might be worse than Zelda fan-fiction, I may have the answer. Presenting the Zelda Skyward Sword fan commercial.

Its in its early stages, maybe I'll have a storyboard done by 2015.

Interior - foyer - facing out the front door. A drawn out violin chord plays through the whole scene. There is no sound or voice throughout, everything is implied through subtle acting.

A door opens to a 30 something man thumbing through his mail as he enters the house. He suddenly looks surprised and drops everything as he braces for a running jump hug from his 4 year old daughter.

Kitchen - A new note plays.

He enters, kisses his wife at the oven and grabs a young infant from a boppy chair on the floor.

Dining room table - a new note

Dad feeding the baby, pantamiming the way he wants her to move her mouth.

Bathroom - a new note

Helping the older daughter brush her teeth. He asks to check her teeth and she presents a big silly smile full of toothpaste drool.

Master bedroom - a new note

Dad feeding the little one a bottle while reading a book to the older one. He furrows his brow and gestures indicating that he's voicing the different characters in the picture book.

Baby's room - tempo of scenes is quicker now - violin notes new, higher and faster, a song is coming together

Dad gently places the baby in her crib.

4 year old's room - a new note, an old familiar tune seems to be taking shape.

Dad lays down the older daughter.

In the hallway - another note

Dad is down low, deftly closing the door while stealing the last peak that he can manage to ensure that his daughter is not awakened.

Still in the halway, a longer shot though, looking dead on at the wall above where dad just was.

Dad stands up suddenly to a new note as he cracks a sly grin. He sneaks hurriedly down the hall towards the camera. Cut to the opposite direction, he breaks into a run and rounds a corner.

Cut to a view from the stairs looking up, dad runs at the camera and then takes a leap over, doing the iconic swan dive from Skyward Sword.

Close up of dad, his hair's blowing, he seems to be looking for something in the distance.

Shot from above at distance, he has his arms spread in freefall well above the clouds. Suddenly, the clouds part and we see the couch in the livingroom.

Back to the closeup of his face, he gets a look of determination and streamlines his body to dive at the couch faster.

He lands in the couch and the familiar Zelda overworld theme plays as he grabs the controls.

Shit eatin' grin.

Screen goes black then the following appears in white:

Don't forget to tend to your inner child, too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why not grab everyone nostalgia by the balls, even the naysayers, by showing Zelda from the start till SS

Show how the game, Link, Zelda, and you went on a journey

I was like maybe dad might give the son the controller

So Nintendo is saying their franchises are so old, that only the old generation relates to them, I mean that is what it looks like

Top Bottom