• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

Can believe people having trouble with the camera.

Its the same thing as every 3d zelda. Press Z to center the camera behind you.

If you really NEED a second analog to have complete control over the camera

Pressing Z doesn't re-center if there's an enemy nearby - you lock on to it instead. Besides, who says I want the camera behind me? And who said "NEED"? It's a step backwards to remove camera control. Especially when left/right on the d-pad are unused, and also when the game's camera hasn't really changed.

I don't need it, but it would still be nice to have.

apana

Wow it has gone down to 93 on metacritic, such a shame, we are reaching Uncharted levels here. I think the game is brilliant, people will come to appreciate it fully in time.

I'd give this game an 7.5/10.

It's pretty fun, but all the critics are overlooking the inherent flaws. Moving Link around can feel like a chore and the camera is outright awful. I found myself accidentally running into enemies or off cliffs far too often.

I guess this is more the fault of the shitty control stick on the nunchuk. The nunchuk has always felt way too small for anyone with a normal sized hand over the age of twelve. And the lack of a second control stick is a problem. Snapping the camera to attention with Z never works as well as I want. My only other option is sllloooowwwwwlly swiveling the camera in first person mode.

And all the art direction in the world can't hide the PS2 level graphics. Yet again, it's not really the game's fault. But it's an issue too quickly skirted by the critics. The Mario games somehow get away with being SD yet looking beautiful. I never really notice limitations with Mario Galaxy. But with Zelda, it's too obvious. Like the trees that are made of a few flat sheets of leaf texture. Even in Twilight Princess, I don't remember ever thinking "wow, this really looks bad...."

C'mon now. I don't think this game could be made on the PS2 and look as good as it does.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I suspect at this point that the problem with the game's hand holding is the bind Nintendo themselves got into with the Wii audience.

Simply put, if the Wii had been a bigger hit with core gamers, if it'd had a thriving ecosystem of quality, Wii-specific games like Red Steel 2, and if "hardcore" motion control epic games like Skyward Sword were taken for granted by this point... I don't think we'd see the "adventure games for dummies" packaging in Skyward Sword.

It feels as if Nintendo was deathly afraid that the remaining Wii audience is, by this point, too casual, too timid, unskilled, unmotivated, and just plain a hard sell on really getting in to a Wii game. So SS goes overboard to make sure you can't possibly get off track or confused on a myriad of points.

Sadly, judging by some reactions to the game, their fears are not entirely unfounded. Look at how many people all but refuse to learn how the motion controls really work, for instance, because it's just not worth their time at this stage to learn something they should have learned years ago had the Wii been a larger success with that audience.

Structurally and in terms of design, Skyward Sword is not a simplistic Zelda. In my opinion it's the second most complex 3D Zelda next to Twilight Princess (more complex and nuanced in some ways, less so in others.)

Its presentation just shaves off most of the sharp edges.

Personally, I am fine with this. I can overlook the foam padding. But I think it's fair that it's too much for some people.

I suspect at this point that the problem with the game's hand holding is the bind Nintendo themselves got into with the Wii audience.

Simply put, if the Wii had been a bigger hit with core gamers, if it'd had a thriving ecosystem of quality, Wii-specific games like Red Steel 2, and if "hardcore" motion control epic games like Skyward Sword were taken for granted by this point... I don't think we'd see the "adventure games for dummies" packaging in Skyward Sword.

It feels as if Nintendo was deathly afraid that the remaining Wii audience is, by this point, too casual, too timid, unskilled, unmotivated, and just plain a hard sell on really getting in to a Wii game. So SS goes overboard to make sure you can't possibly get off track or confused on a myriad of points.

Sadly, judging by some reactions to the game, their fears are not entirely unfounded. Look at how many people all but refuse to learn how the motion controls really work, for instance, because it's just not worth their time at this stage to learn something they should have learned years ago had the Wii been a larger success with that audience.

Structurally and in terms of design, Skyward Sword is not a simplistic Zelda. In my opinion it's the second most complex 3D Zelda next to Twilight Princess (more complex and nuanced in some ways, less so in others.)

Its presentation just shaves off most of the sharp edges.

Personally, I am fine with this. I can overlook the foam padding. But I think it's fair that it's too much for some people.

I don't think it's a Wii-specific problem. Nintendo has been going more and more in the hand-holding direction over the years. Twilight Princess, which is really a Gamecube game, is no better, and Wind Waker only somewhat. Plenty of other games have pretty bad hand-holding. Zelda probably gets an extra dose just because it has so much content and so many things to control.

I wonder if it isn't the decades of calls from inept customers, or simply stuck gamers (we've all been there) that's given Nintendo the impression that all people are morons. I don't really have a problem with in-game help for people, but just let us turn it off. "Pro Mode" should be more than just a smaller HUD.

Davey Cakes

Wow it has gone down to 93 on metacritic, such a shame, we are reaching Uncharted levels here. I think the game is brilliant, people will come to appreciate it fully in time.
I don't even understand how the average score could drop considering that most scores coming in are the equivalent of 9.5 or better.

It's not a big deal but I'm left wondering how many of the 5/5, 10/10, A, and A+ scores are being left out of Metacritic.

AniHawk

So after much delay I finally put up my review, make sure to tell me what you think.

Link here

sure seems to be a lot of spoilers and things that people would not understand unless they've already played the game. you and i know what tadtones are, but people who would probably be wanting to read this review: those who haven't played the game or made up their mind, would be at a loss.

the writing itself feels more like a post made on a forum made after beating a game than an actual review. it's still better than my writing, at least. :)

Thanks for the feedback dude!

Yeah I'm working on my writing cause I usually end up beating a game a 100% before writing it, and then there's the writing and making sure its out sooner rather than later. And the way I see it the padding needed to be addressed and the type of padding as well, and seeing as Zelda is a long game and this one in particular has some different moments that need to be pointed out as it were, but still I'll keep in mind to not go that far in the future. thanks again though.

AniHawk

Yeah I'm working on my writing cause I usually end up beating a game a 100% before writing it, and then there's the writing and making sure its out sooner rather than later. And the way I see it the padding needed to be addressed and the type of padding as well, and seeing as Zelda is a long game and this one in particular has some different moments that need to be pointed out as it were, but still I'll keep in mind to not go that far in the future. thanks again though.

well you don't need to specifically call it out. you could instead say that late in the game, there is a segment where you are made to revisit old areas and forced to collect certain things. you might mention why it's bad, whether it be the controls or you feeling like you had the endgame wrested away from you (just providing examples).

same thing regarding the silent realms. maybe you could go into explaining what they are, why you found them an obstruction despite finding them fun.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
So after much delay I finally put up my review, make sure to tell me what you think.

Link here

I read your review. I like the layout (text size changing and warped images aside). Your ideas and thoughts are sound.
Your writing, however, needs a lot of work. You use lots of run-on style sentences or cram too many thoughts and ideas into single sentences.

For example, your post above:

I normally find it weird when a word is used repeatedly through the same sentence.

Furthermore, you use a lot of 'and's (and occasionally 'but's) to run-on your ideas, making the sentences difficult to follow. In those cases, it may be a better idea to break them up into separate sentences.

Hero

Finished my spoiler free review which can be found at http://www.allyoucangeek.net/blog/45-blog/403-review-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword.

As a precursor the site is pretty amateur, it's a bunch of personal friends just adding their own thoughts and opinions to whatever public decides to read it. No advertisements or sponsors to pander to. Don't think we'll be part of Metacritic or Gamerankings ever so no agendas either.

Overall I really feel the game has moments of absolute brilliance and amazement but there were some issues that held the game back from surpassing OoT in every manner. My qualms were mostly with the small user interface type things, I didn't really have an issue with the 'common' criticisms such as the Silent Realm or the fetch questing. Even the part I disliked the most during my first playthrough (the return to the one area with the collect-a-thon) I began to accept. Once I took a step back and realized it was pretty much like a stage from Super Mario Galaxy I had a lot more fun with it. I still absolutely loved the game and feel like it can stand next to OoT and definitely one of the greatest games of the current generation overall.

Top Bottom