• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slam Dunk Movie Trailer

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

1667576019_255845_1667576278_sumario_normal.jpg

Remembering Slam Dunk, A Cult Serie of 90s, New Movie is coming soon...

In the 90s, I watched a few episodes of the series, I wasn't a fan... But I wanted to try the SNES video games.

From+TV+Animation+Slam+Dunk+2+-+IH+Yosen+Kanzen+Ban!!+(Japan)-image.jpg

Seeing how animation has evolved, Slam Dunk always liked the realism of the animation as well as the characters.

I really like the drama and the rawness of the feeling of the series, in Mexico it has a very realistic and excellent dubbing.

Because of the lyrics, this song is emotional, but in these times it would have suffered a lot of censorship.

I liked this animation, realistic and emotional.

Something that currently does not exist.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Dios mio.

Having the opportunity to adapt Inoue work and then deliver something that looks this trash requires some courage.

Focus on my face in the foreground, I'll turn up, look at the blue sky, raise my arms and say...

Someday the animation of the 80's and 90's will return?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One of the best manga I've ever read. I was obsessed with it for a time, I read and re-read the episodes with the most intense matches dozens of times. Incredible flow, pacing and page composition.

I didn't appreciate the anime as much, never went past the first few episodes. I don't think this manga's style can be reproduced through anime. The characters here look absolutely spot-on in stills, but they haven't shown much with that trailer.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Terrible animation - looks like Berserk 2016.
I didn't want to be harsh on criticisms either. I have a bias because I grew up on hand drawn animation. I saw them do this in one of the many Saint Seiya spin-offs recently and barely made it past the first episode. 3D renderings look nice on a good budget as they are in JP video games. Unforntualey, they're either not getting the budget, animators or care to make these spin offs look better.

The mid-90's when the first Slam Dunk anime came out was when budgets were dwindling in animation. Most series were very cheaply animated then if you compare to early 80's - early 90's. Slam Dunk did actually get a decent production in the 90's. It was one of few like Berserk 97 and Cowboy Bebop which showed how well you could render 3D with traditional given the right staff and budget.

They and many others simply need to be left at that unless they're getting treated like a Ghibli film. Plenty of newer manga out there that haven't been animated. Again with this cliched saying but we have to accept that they got it right the first time.

lachesis

It looks like Rukawa's early days stories? I doubt this will take the story further into the future, but a retrospect type thing.

As per the game, I loved the Saturn version of the game, than the SNES ver.

It was more or less pixelated mess with pretty horrible animation though.
With Saturn's power, I did hope it would be the arcade game like this...

Doom85

Oh boy…

To be fair, you tried to claim this looked like Berserk 2016.

I’m not saying you have to like the style going for, but if you’re telling me there’s no difference in quality in this trailer and Berserk 2016 of all things, well…

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Fbh

Ok but did you know this Luis Miguel song fits the opening perfectly?

Anyway the movie looks like shit. Same low framerate ps2 looking crap that's sadly taking over modern anime.
I'll stick to the manga

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

I’m not saying you have to like the style going for, but if you’re telling me there’s no difference in quality in this trailer and Berserk 2016 of all things, well…

I wouldn't say it's 100% Berserk 2016 grade but super low framerate. Not even sure how the JP ADR handled those jangling mouths. I mean, 3D's what they were going for, then why not put money into it to make it decent CG like we get in games? Fbh Fbh is right...it looks like a PS2 cut scene. Slam Dunk snd Berserk sold million of yen in manga. Why not fish money out from better studio...too late.

Doom85

it looks like a PS2 cut scene.

I disagree, but even if I didn’t, Berserk 2016 looks like a PS1 cutscene (and even that would be generous). Kind of a world of difference, so my point stands. Also, we barely saw any action in the trailer. I’ll reserve final judgment for myself until I see more footage.

Slam Dunk snd Berserk sold MILLION of YEN in manga. Why not fish money out from better studio...too late.

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

I’m sure you mistakenly forgot to convert, but your statement is saying these manga sold tens of thousands of US dollars. That would be grounds for cancellation in some manga magazines. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hey, at least look at this way. The mangaka also did Vagabond which reportedly took a heavy toll on his mental health. If directing a Slam Dunk film is what he wants to do right now, then full power to him I say. It’s like when Hideaki Anno took a break between Rebuild of Evangelion 3 and 4 to direct a Godzilla film as making the Rebuild of Evangelion films was mentally exhausting for him so he needed a brief change of scenery.

GymWolf

Is it the same story or they are finishing the anime with what was left of the manga?

Huge slam dunk fanboy here.

GymWolf

One of the best manga I've ever read. I was obsessed with it for a time, I read and re-read the episodes with the most intense matches dozens of times. Incredible flow, pacing and page composition.

I didn't appreciate the anime as much, never went past the first few episodes. I don't think this manga's style can be reproduced through anime. The characters here look absolutely spot-on in stills, but they haven't shown much with that trailer.
Slam dunk is the only anime where i prefer the italian dub, they did an incredible work even if it wasn't the most faithful.

How you didn't liked it?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I disagree, but even if I didn’t, Berserk 2016 looks like a PS1 cutscene (and even that would be generous). Kind of a world of difference, so my point stands. Also, we barely saw any action in the trailer. I’ll reserve final judgment for myself until I see more footage.

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

I’m sure you mistakenly forgot to convert, but your statement is saying these manga sold tens of thousands of US dollars. That would be grounds for cancellation in some manga magazines. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hey, at least look at this way. The mangaka also did Vagabond which reportedly took a heavy toll on his mental health. If directing a Slam Dunk film is what he wants to do right now, then full power to him I say. It’s like when Hideaki Anno took a break between Rebuild of Evangelion 3 and 4 to direct a Godzilla film as making the Rebuild of Evangelion films was mentally exhausting for him so he needed a brief change of scenery.
I have voided all arguments...I forgot million singular Yen wouldn't be enough to get published online today.

Okay, I'll do this -- just like OP I'm in Mexico and it's only a matter of time before this is on streaming out here. I'll give it the 15-minute treatment. If the animation isn't chopped in 15...it's worth going the full run time. Keep in mind, this isn't just my bias with 3D rendered anime...I've cut traditional series' off at that mark too. 15-minutes for an OVA or movie is about the length of time I can turn off without saying "that was a horrible." Now, push me 30-minutes in and I'll give my 1-star reviews but I'd almost agree on the trailer part. Except this...anime trailers tend to want to show some of the best of the animation. After watching this, it's either a very short story or there wasn't much to say. But, it's a movie -- so, it could take a better turn than if they made it a series.

I'm sorry but I watch NGE (with regard to Anno) and it's clear that his mental health affected how that all went down. I can't even say I disliked it for the ending either; the series itself never really got to me. Gunbuster and Nadia: Secret of Blue Water is as far as I go with Anno. He didn't need to make the movies but there was a demand for him to do so. I feel he should have retired after NGE. I say that with empathy as he had quite a rough time in the business.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Slam dunk is the only anime where i prefer the italian dub, they did an incredible work even if it wasn't the most faithful.

How you didn't liked it?
The whole thing about characters spending literal minutes thinking “wow look at this Rukawa guy he’s freaking amazing he was a middle school talent blah blah blah” doesn’t translate well from manga to anime (even if it helps make anime episodes longer). And in Italian it works even less. Anyway, this wasn’t really about the localization. I just loved the manga so much, the anime felt too different.

That’s not even why that guy’s post was cringe. His post was like saying “let’s see you make a movie then” when you say that Freddy Got Fingered is a bad movie. Such a dumb response. The mechanic does a poor reair job? “Let’s see you repair it”.

GymWolf

The whole thing about characters spending literal minutes thinking “wow look at this Rukawa guy he’s freaking amazing he was a middle school talent blah blah blah” doesn’t translate well from manga to anime (even if it helps make anime episodes longer). And in Italian it works even less. Anyway, this wasn’t really about the localization. I just loved the manga so much, the anime felt too different.
I started with the anime and only readed the manga for the missing part against the sannoh.

Doesn't matter what language, it's just too bizarre to have them pause the action for a character to have an introspection. It didn't matter in the manga cause that shit depends on your reading speed but it's funny how they make a big deal about the three second violation only for characters to spend minutes at a time thinking about what to do next. Obviously those thoughts are supposed to be happening at a split second but it's still silly.

But yeah, the manga was amazing. If you told me beforehand that a sports manga can make you emotional I would have laughed in your face.

TVZNcTh.jpg

Last edited:

Rickyiez

The end of the trailer is actually against Sannoh if I remembered correctly , so it will cover the manga ending ?

Top Bottom