• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition PC Performance/Comparison Thread

The ambient occlusion change is huge. Fog is cool but not really needed.
The new damageable world objects are pretty discernable. It's what I've noticed the most, more than the new face textures and so forth (don't really notice much change in main characters but a lot of general NPCs seem better... and oddly enough, older lol).

I don't understand why I have to pay more than I paid for the original game in order to get some decent traffic and pedestrian density and to fix the key-bindings.

I'm absolutely fine with what Rockstar's doing for the PC version of GTA V, because based on what we're seeing here, Rockstar could have just as easily released the gimped console version to us, and then re-released it like we're seeing here. But they didn't.

I'm still fine with the version of Sleeping Dogs that I have. I just find it ridiculous that this is basically $30 DLC (scratch that, $15) for fixing bugs and adding density. Reminds me of what happened to the PC version of the Metro games (more specifically, Last Light, 2033's changes were quite drastic).

Is nobody discussing the existence of this parity between the PC version and console versions, basically making it so when we make the jump from one generation of consoles to the next, suddenly the developers are capable of making the PC versions better?

SZips

The ambient occlusion change is huge. Fog is cool but not really needed.

The AO is nice but you know that most people probably won't notice it or care about it when deciding if it's worth the price of initial purchase or the cost of the upgrade.

Nethaniah

Personally i found Sleeping Dogs to be one of the most disappointing ports in some time and couldn't understand what people found so good about it so i'm immensely disgusted by this "definitive edition" that basically solves the issues that should have been fixed either at launch or through patches.

People we're constantly asking about stuff like key-bindings and draw distance on the forums but they got ignored by the developers until now, hope those same people are willing to spend more money to get what they wanted.

Edit: Also really disliked that they just stopped patching important stuff yet kept shoving useless DLC out the door that IIRC we were forced to download regardless of wether we actually purchased it.

I don't understand why I have to pay more than I paid for the original game in order to get some decent traffic and pedestrian density and to fix the key-bindings.

I'm absolutely fine with what Rockstar's doing for the PC version of GTA V, because based on what we're seeing here, Rockstar could have just as easily released the gimped console version to us, and then re-released it like we're seeing here. But they didn't.

I'm still fine with the version of Sleeping Dogs that I have. I just find it ridiculous that this is basically $30 DLC (scratch that, $15) for fixing bugs and adding density. Reminds me of what happened to the PC version of the Metro games (more specifically, Last Light, 2033's changes were quite drastic).

Is nobody discussing the existence of this parity between the PC version and console versions, basically making it so when we make the jump from one generation of consoles to the next, suddenly the developers are capable of making the PC versions better?
well they're not going to add new world damage, new weather effects, and the art assets that go along with that, and also new textures for free... especially not on S-E's dime and with how they priced past DLC... not saying it's even remotely worth $60 but I can't imagine a scenario where S-E gives UFG a budget to do this for free. maybe $10-20 over whatever the regular SD price is probably is closer to the real value, leaning on the $10 side but we'll see after finishing it.

That depends. What did you pay for the original game and how long after release?

Since the base price is $30 (the $15 upgrade appears to end on October 30), sales will eventually bring the price down.

Whatever else could be said for or against the Definitive Edition being released on PC and at this price, this is at least a partial indication to SE on whether consumers want more single-player Sleeping Dogs experiences. Whether we'll ever see one remains to be seen.

cpooi

It looks like they applied FXAA before doing the downsampling. That sucks. Losing high frequency detail with FXAA was one of the worse things last gen.

w00zey

The contrast between light and shadow seems less harsh in the Definitive Edition. It's an improvement I'd say but I'm not noticing much else.

This is pretty much all I see as well. Seems like the shadows aren't as dark so you can see more of things like his jacket. Hardly a DE.

Skyzard

Banned
It actually does look amazing on PC, if a bit foggy. But you need to be able to set AA and SSAA to high. It looks so damn good.

Corgi

Banned
so all dlc stuff is purchaseable in game stores?

bah. i liked restarting sleeping dogs on pc and being able to drive my police wangan right away.

Corgi

Banned
played a few hours of this on pc. don't think the screens posted do it justice, it does look quite a bit better.

The easiest way to paint a word picture is, you know how nvidia physx implementation worked for other games? aka tons of dust/particle and debris everywhere.

This game pretty much is that. It's like god decided to dump liquid nitrogen over hong kong. It's a bit excessive at times, but not too bad. There is performance hit, but turning down a few things and i still can hit 60fps on my 780.

It does look quite good though. The best game out there in terms of getting a foggy rainy night look down.

Also as mentioned above, this does seem like the first pc game where it has xb1 icons if you have a xb1 controller plugged in, which is pretty neat.

And the little things to list:

- car traffic is more, but not enough to fuck up your driving.

- new phone UI. looks like a cheap iOS knockoff.

- dlc is integrated better into the game and isn't just dumped on you out of the gate (legendary outfit vendors to buy the dlc outfits, not sure when zodiac tournament unlocks yet).

- extra human traffic on the sidewalks and market area is mixed. it looks better and more 'realistic', but the extra people makes chases more annoying, and tons of weird ai issues with them which aren't game breaking, but are a bit immersion breaking when a guy is falling through the roof. Game is bit more buggy than the original, but nothing game breaking yet.

- counter animation wiff is completely new, also feels a bit longer. enemies attack a bit faster too, so you have less counter window (maybe it isn't but feels like that).

- think vehicle handling been changed a bit. easier to turn for the most part... and i think all cars got a speed boost. even the scooter is pretty damn fast.

- still have no clue whats the point of buying ac and a new bed for your first apartment.

overall, if you own pc version already, and have the itch for a replay, $15 for a different/better looking game, with better integrated dlc. I'd say, sure why not. Otherwise wait for sale, with how frequently the original went on pc, you'd probably be able to get this really cheap in the next year or so.

picked this up on PS4, wow I forgot how much fun this game is with the combat system and the environmental kills

its a really nice change from most open world games since it has a unique setting and has combat mechanics that arent in most GTA style games like a deep combat system, and arcade over-the-top driving with melee smashing.

at best buy, they only had my preordered copy with none out for sale in the store, got there at lunchtime and its release day.

fun game, though its not anywhere near as nice looking as other PS4 open world games like watchdogs (though I prefer it as a game vs WD), infamous etc

was tempted to buy evil within but decided against it with so many games that I just bought. will definitely end up buying it though, bethesda should have got early reviews since they surprised me how positive they were. best buy has a special case on them lenticular 3D style case

If you're playing this on Windows 10 it has problems with permanent tearing. The rather odd workaround is to turn on the Steam fps counter.

Top Bottom