• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Early Reviews

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Releases same day as Darksiders 2... :(

Couldn't get into the True Crime games though. The be a cop or be a criminal hook was too contradicting a mechanic for me and it felt like a poor mans GTA or Saints Row.

The trailers and all the publicity shown thus far do make it look cool and interesting though. Still not enough reviews to get a clearer consensus however.

Week before Transformers and the 3DS XL as well.

Really. Someone should'e put smoething out in July

UrbanRats

in 26 days.

OT is gonna be awesome:

ibc49vRWaCOBGA.gif

Yes.. i can feel it breathing..

You can't really ever trust the first batch of reviews for a game, but I still think this is a good sign. And if Sleeping Dogs is a critical hit then that'll aid its chances of being a commercial hit, and I so want this game to prove a sales success just so Square Enix can rub Activision's nose in it for canning the game for no good reason.

ironcreed

Banned
Did not even need to see reviews because the game speaks for itself. It fell off my radar for awhile, but saw some recent footage and knew I had to have it. I am glad that it is being received well so far, though. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

Ridley327

Hope to see it be an awesome ass game and ACTIVISION eat fucking crow.

I kinda wonder how Capcom felt about seeing what happened to Red Dead Revolver after they dropped it. I mean, it wasn't a massive success, but you think about what came after it and there's no way that they don't feel at least a little blown away by what could have been. Maybe something similar will happen with Sleeping Dogs.

Derrick01

Banned
I can't say I'm not at least a little surprised by the early scores, even though they are the notorious questionable 1st reviews. But I was expecting loads of 7s and 8s, the videos I saw makes this game look like it has a considerable amount of jank whether it's in the fighting or the driving and modern reviews don't know how to handle jank.

I'm mildly excited though. I'm trying to keep expectations in check but it looks like it should at least be better than SR3 and GTA 4 for me. I got it for $34 on GMG so I can't complain too much.

ironcreed

Banned
Just pre-ordered. What is up with Amazon changing their $0.99 release day delivery? Now it's standard shipping prices between one day and two day shipping to get it on release day. I chose two day shipping for $7.98 so I coud get it on the 14th. Is it going to be this way for every game now?

Kyon

Banned
Not surprised. True Crime was always superior to GTA. Especially TC: New York. The hand to hand combat system was amazing too. GTA could never

dummydecoy

I'll wait for a Eurogamer performance analysis for this. No buy if it has screen tear and framerate dips that go below 30.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not surprised. True Crime was always superior to GTA. Especially TC: New York. The hand to hand combat system was amazing too. GTA could never

This is nonsense bro.

The first True Crime is much worse than GTA3.

Amir0x

Banned
I will say this, I don't trust reviews (especially early reviews), but IF this does turn out good, SquareEnix has been the oddest turn around story I've seen this generation. Totally can't get a handle on their Japanese development side, but has been pushing high quality Western title after high quality Western title with genuine wide appeal. And of course they have Hitman Absolution coming too... and although I think Tomb Raider looks like garbage, I assume that will be a hit too. It's amazing.

With the rate at which they're nailing their Western investments, I hope they have a similar turn around and bring the Final Fantasy series back to where it should be and start making some really impressive original Japanese IPs or reviving their old ones in more spectacular fashion, because then Squeenix would be one helluva company again.

Kusagari

I will say this, I don't trust reviews (especially early reviews), but IF this does turn out good, SquareEnix has been the oddest turn around story I've seen this generation. Totally can't get a handle on their Japanese development side, but has been pushing high quality Western title after high quality Western title with genuine wide appeal. And of course they have Hitman Absolution coming too... and although I think Tomb Raider looks like garbage, I assume that will be a hit too. It's amazing.

With the rate at which they're nailing their Western investments, I hope they have a similar turn around and bring the Final Fantasy series back to where it should be and start making some really impressive original Japanese IPs or reviving their old ones in more spectacular fashion, because then Squeenix would be one helluva company again.

The turn around really has nothing to do with SquareEnix at their core though. The only thing you can really give them is that they're letting the western studios do their thing without butting in in. Which is basically the exact reason their western output has been so good.

The Japanese development side shows no signs of turning around anytime soon.

Derrick01

Banned
The turn around really has nothing to do with SquareEnix at their core though. The only thing you can really give them is that they're letting the western studios do their thing without butting in in. Which is basically the exact reason their western output has been so good.

Pretty much. They bought a quality studio with lots of quality IPs and pump them full of money, something that they didn't have before.

Then again it can be argued that it took some foresight and it was a wise decision to do that, something we don't say very much about Square-Enix anymore. Credit where credit is due and all but it almost comes off as attaching your name to someone else's success.

massoluk

Banned
Really like what I saw in various previews videos.

GTA open world + Batman AA combat + a bit of Assassin's Creed's Parkour = I'm there day one.

2San

This isn't true crime. Activision just slapped that name on it, it was supposed to be a new IP from the start. It's made by a different team as well.

Yeah, square-enix is back in my good graces. Though they'll never have the same blind faith as before.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got it for $30. Dammmmn, gaze upon me.

Maybe I should have jumped on that. I liked the last gen True Crime games. They were nothing amazing but I enjoyed driving around and mercilessly slaughtering anyone who dared to break the law. Jaywalking? Enjoy the bullet in your forehead, criminal scum.

Amir0x

Banned

That's being a little unfair to SquareEnix. Yes, obviously, it's the development teams who are capable of making it high quality. But SquareEnix is a business. We're talking about how they were prescient enough to realize who had franchises that could really be expanded with the right funds, and which ones had broad western appeal if done right. It was a steady stream of really good business choices and investments, no doubt, and that is more than a "little thing."

As a developer, SquareEnix is still in limbo land, although they occasionally make really fun things like Theatrhythm. But their Final Fantasy series is in shambles as far as I'm concerned, and they really can't seem to revive any of their older IPs with any reliable quality. They have a metric fuckton of good properties that would be amazing if done right, but instead they do Dragon Quest X: The MMO nobody wanted and eighteen spin offs of Final Fantasy XIII, the Final Fantasy game most gamers would rather vomit than play

Pretty much. They bought a quality studio with lots of quality IPs and pump them full of money, something that they didn't have before.

Then again it can be argued that it took some foresight and it was a wise decision to do that, something we don't say very much about Square-Enix anymore. Credit where credit is due and all but it almost comes off as attaching your name to someone else's success.
Didn't Square-Enix say they wanted to keep the Eidos name XD, well at least it's improving their rep. Hope they keep it up anyway, and is rewarded with sucess. Unlike poor Sega.

Munin

If Sleeping Dogs becomes a successful franchise what settings do you guys see the game going to?

Considering how they (from what I've seen so far) turned Hong Kong into an embarrassing combination of Chinatown cliches and an aesthetic inspired by retarded Hollywood flicks like Replacement Killers and Born 2 Die instead of actual HK cinema, hopefully no setting that I'm actually familiar with in real life.

2San

As a developer, SquareEnix is still in limbo land, although they occasionally make really fun things like Theatrhythm. But their Final Fantasy series is in shambles as far as I'm concerned, and they really can't seem to revive any of their older IPs with any reliable quality. They have a metric fuckton of good properties that would be amazing if done right, but instead they do Dragon Quest X: The MMO nobody wanted and eighteen spin offs of Final Fantasy XIII, the Final Fantasy game most gamers would rather vomit than play
Isn't SE's handheld output doing pretty good? They're bad on all other fronts though.

The only thing you can really give them is that they're letting the western studios do their thing without butting in in.

That's a pretty major thing and something that most developers aren't given. Square is giving these teams AAA money and then all the time that they need to make a AAA game. Most devs are given a set date and they have to hit it, which is why we see so many buggy or unfinished games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I would say that Square Enix brought two main pillars to Eidos:

1.) An incredibly strong balance sheet to properly fund marketing and development.
2.) Deep knowledge of how to market character based games.

The two main benefits Square Enix was after were A.) a strong line-up of Western core console titles and B.) Eidos' institutional knowledge in how to successfully develop a game in a console reasonable timeframe.

I would say we're pretty close to asserting they got A, and Eidos seems to have B, but I'm not sure if Square Enix Japan is able to successfully extract that into their own processes, but I feel that isn't really Eidos' fault if Square Enix Japan can't.

Isn't SE's handheld output doing pretty good? They're bad on all other fronts though.

Sales wise it's quite a bit less strong than it used to be, but there are still some solid hits like the new Dragon Quest Monsters.

Derrick01

Banned
Didn't Square-Enix say they wanted to keep the Eidos name XD, well at least it's improving their rep. Hope they keep it up anyway, and is rewarded with sucess. Unlike poor Sega.

They do want to keep Eidos as a sort of separate-but-not-really entity. On steam their developer page is even listed as Square-Enix and then Eidos right underneath it. And then of course they have actual studios like Eidos Montreal.

Not surprising to see super early reviews, if we are to believe the employees who spoke out after activision cancelled it then it was content complete at that time. Looks like a year in polish payed off.

2San

Sales wise it's quite a bit less strong than it used to be, but there are still some solid hits like the new Dragon Quest Monsters.
Surprised by that, since their DS/PSP output has been quality. At least that's what I hear, I don't have a DS/3DS/PSP/Vita.

Top Bottom