• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Early Reviews

Derrick01

Banned
I would say that Square Enix brought two main pillars to Eidos:

1.) An incredibly strong balance sheet to properly fund marketing and development.
2.) Deep knowledge of how to market character based games.

The two main benefits Square Enix was after were A.) a strong line-up of Western core console titles and B.) Eidos' institutional knowledge in how to successfully develop a game in a console reasonable timeframe.

I would say we're pretty close to asserting they got A, and Eidos seems to have B, but I'm not sure if Square Enix Japan is able to successfully extract that into their own processes, but I feel that isn't really Eidos' fault if Square Enix Japan can't.

Are they starting to cooperate more between the 2 groups? I thought I remember seeing a crystal dynamics dev on the credit list for that final fantasy tech demo. Maybe Eidos can whip their japanese side into shape to crank games out at a more reasonable rate.

ironcreed

Banned
If they're bragging about an 8.5 early review score, I expect typical reviews in the 7-8 range.

Games that score within that range usually end up being some of the ones I enjoy the most. At any rate, this was one of those deals where I was just sold on the game to the point of knowing that I'll dig it. Do not even need to see reviews, but I am certainly rooting for it to do well. Looks like it's off to a nice start.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are they starting to cooperate more between the 2 groups? I thought I remember seeing a crystal dynamics dev on the credit list for that final fantasy tech demo. Maybe Eidos can whip their japanese side into shape to crank games out at a more reasonable rate.

Well, we've seen three main things so far:

1.) Visualworks is making marketing materials for most Eidos games.
2.) There's a lot of technology sharing between the various Eidos tech groups (Montreal, CD, IO) and Luminous in Japan.
3.) Toriyama went flying around to various Eidos studios trying to learn how to develop games more efficiently. I think one of the Enix producers did this as well.

It's not what I would call an especially deep collaboration on the scale of something like Assassin's Creed globalization or even the way Capcom operates, but it is progress.

The End

Played this at Comic Con last week. Very pleasantly surprised, very solid "Arkham" style combat with a lot of contextual environmental bits, good parkour, and a really well fleshed out Hong Kong.

Really like what I saw in various previews videos.

GTA open world + Batman AA combat + a bit of Assassin's Creed's Parkour = I'm there day one.

Its not, the combat is the same as Bully/The Warriors, as people that work on those games are doing this one.

Maybe I should have jumped on that. I liked the last gen True Crime games. They were nothing amazing but I enjoyed driving around and mercilessly slaughtering anyone who dared to break the law. Jaywalking? Enjoy the bullet in your forehead, criminal scum.

Thanks snuggler, I just learned another american word today.lol

Derrick01

Banned
Its not, the combat is the same as Bully/The Warriors, as people that work on those games are doing this one.

Those sound like much more comparable games for its combat. It looked just as janky and the animation looked just as stiff as those games did. It won't suck probably but I think anyone expecting the fast and fluid combat from Batman games will end up disappointed. I just haven't seen that from all the videos I've seen.

Nirolak said:
Well, we've seen three main things so far:

1.) Visualworks is making marketing materials for most Eidos games.
2.) There's a lot of technology sharing between the various Eidos tech groups (Montreal, CD, IO) and Luminous in Japan.
3.) Toriyama went flying around to various Eidos studios trying to learn how to develop games more efficiently. I think one of the Enix producers did this as well.

It's not what I would call an especially deep collaboration on the scale of something like Assassin's Creed globalization or even the way Capcom operates, but it is progress.

To be honest I think that's as far as the relationship should go. Any more like shipping people from various Eidos teams over to help on certain japanese games or having teams work on parts of Final Fantasy could run the risk of harming their western output.

This does get it down to $36. you are the fucking man! Thanks for the code!

No problem.

Those sound like much more comparable games for its combat. It looked just as janky and the animation looked just as stiff as those games did. It won't suck probably but I think anyone expecting the fast and fluid combat from Batman games will end up disappointed. I just haven't seen that from all the videos I've seen.

I think you are right, but I don't think it looks as bad as janky and stiff. I thought it looked very serviceable. For an open world game I think it looks like it does a great job at incorporating that sort of combat system. It won't be as good as batmans, they built that game basically around that combat system and improved on it for Arkham City.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm just glad to see it's probably not a steaming pile of shit. What I've seen so far really appeals to me but I've been fooled by trailers before (Mercs 2 comes to mind).

Well. Reviews are better than true crime NY at the very least.

Also got this at 30. I'm mentally set for 70ish scores, so if it's anything better than that, I'd be quite pleased.

Hope it does run well on pc.

MRORANGE

The only negative thing I can think about this game is that it won't look as great as modern day open world games like JC2 and will have very few PC options to boot.

I can probably live with that.

Soroc

I can't get this game bought on GMG. So frustrating!

I keep trying to use my paypal and it won't let me.

Everytime I keep trying to checkout with paypal I get this error:

We have been unable to complete your order, please contact your payment provider before trying again.

Thank you for visiting Green Man Gaming.

My email address is the same for both paypal and what I registered GMG with. Anyone ever have this issue?

I can't get this game bought on GMG. So frustrating!

I keep trying to use my paypal and it won't let me.

Everytime I keep trying to checkout with paypal I get this error:

We have been unable to complete your order, please contact your payment provider before trying again.

Thank you for visiting Green Man Gaming.

My email address is the same for both paypal and what I registered GMG with. Anyone ever have this issue?

Man, you can't gift with GMG. That's fucking lame. The email address thing shouldn't be an issue. I had a problem when I tried using a 2nd account on green man gaming to purchase something with the same paypal as my main account. How about trying a card?

Soroc

Yeah this is a wreck for me right now.

I tried cards and I remember when I bought another game off here a while back one of my cards was closed by the bank because GMG comes up flagged as fraud or some shit.
I tried changing my primary emails account around just now and and create a new account with GMG and it almost went through except now when it actually went to process through paypal it says I've used this payment option with another GMG account and they refused to process and want me to use the other GMG account.

I go back to that one and back to square 1...

sigh...

Yeah this is a wreck for me right now.

I tried cards and I remember when I bought another game off here a while back one of my cards was closed by the bank because GMG comes up flagged as fraud or some shit.
I tried changing my primary emails account around just now and and create a new account with GMG and it almost went through except now when it actually went to process through paypal it says I've used this payment option with another GMG account and they refused to process and want me to use the other GMG account.

I go back to that one and back to square 1...

sigh...

That sucks. It's £26.99 on Steam right now, which is quite reasonable I guess.

Jigsaw

Banned
Damn same day release as Darksiders II..shit

DSII goes first though.

eh i dunno,i completed darksiders 1 in about 3 days and never touched it again,was an awsome game but wasn't really worth the money (for me). is ds2 supposed to be longer?(like zelda-40hours-long)

i think i will stick with sleeping dogs and get ds2 later (while it's sad thq is finished anyway so it doesn't matter how ds2 performs)

Soroc

Sweet finally got all my ducks in order and added a different funding option to my paypal. Finally secured the game through GMG. I can relax now :) Really didn't want to miss it for that price. It was right around what I was willing to part with after all these damn summer sales!

eh i dunno,i completed darksiders 1 in about 3 days and never touched it again,was an awsome game but wasn't really worth the money (for me). is ds2 supposed to be longer?(like zelda-40hours-long)

i think i will stick with sleeping dogs and get ds2 later (while it's sad thq is finished anyway so it doesn't matter how ds2 performs)

DS2 appears to be making a lot of improvements and changes from the first one. Improved combat and loot being two of the biggest changes.

I dont mind Bully/The Warriors combat, becuase I love those games combatstyles and never had a problem with them, even if Batman's is better (for the type of game it is of course).
This one is perfect for what they try to do.
If it doesnt work when the game releases just like for example Dead Rising's combat against bosses, then I will crititicise, but just now I think its really good, Batman doesnt let me use the scenery as a combat style, so they are totally diferent styles.

dreamfall

Pre-ordered on PC; I hope the PC version really holds up, and isn't ported. Most of the footage I've seen has been from the console versions, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Regardless, the game looks fantastic. Since the first teaser and the live action bit, it's been quite the countdown. August is so close!

Unfortunately releases same day as Darksiders 2. My year is pretty full after that, so perhaps this will slot in nicely if there's a summer lull again next year. Sounds good.

ironcreed

Banned
This, Darksiders II, Dishonored. Three games I'm actually hoping do really well this year.

This right here. Games like Assassin's Creed III, Resident Evil 6 and Halo 4 have nothing to worry about. It's games like this that I really pull for, because no matter how great they may be, they are the kind of titles that many will end up sleeping on in favor of some of the usual suspect hype train games.

In the case of Sleeping Dogs, it was sent to the reject pile by Activision. But thanks to Square Enix having the foresight to actually see the potential in what they were trying to do, United Front had the time and funds required to make it happen and here it is looking awesome. Hopefully it keeps gaining steam and becomes a huge surprise. It would be a fitting end to the story seeing egg on Activision's face.

This, Darksiders II, Dishonored. Three games I'm actually hoping do really well this year.

I think that this will do well for the same reason that Saints Row The Third did well. There really aren't a lot of open world games in a similar style to GTA anymore. So if a quality one comes around it's probably going to put up solid numbers.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I kept reading "Watch Dogs" instead of "Sleeping Dogs."

Needless to say, I was confused as fuck for a few minutes.

How do you think I felt when someone mentioned earlier that this was coming out on the same day as The Last Story? I get confused with The Last Guardian and The Last of Us. There I was getting all excited that Sleeping Dogs and The Last of Us were out on the same day!

Really excited for this game. Been in OT for so long, coming back to Gaming Side is an experience.

But for real, Sleeping Dogs is looking really good. Hoping the storyline shapes up to be something special.

And Emma Stone's in too. Nice. Random, but nice.

In this game you can
Enter into a club, walk to a huge aquarium wall, break it, grab a fish on the floor and beat someone with it. Game as a lot of moments that are great when it all works out!

I don't know if we see it in a trailer or something, but I did not want to spoil it even if it is minor!

In this game you can
Enter into a club, walk to a huge aquarium wall, break it, grab a fish on the floor and beat someone with it. Game as a lot of moments that are great when it all works out!

I don't know if we see it in a trailer or something, but I did not want to spoil it even if it is minor!

Nice, that reminds me of uncharted 3's 'contextual based melee' thing, If there is enough variety, even if the combat is clunky, it can still be very satisfying.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Black horse beer indeed.

This baby is on pre-order, I can't wait to play it!

Top Bottom