• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs film coming starring Donnie Yen

noqtic

I love the man but he feels a bit old for Wei Shen? I always imagined Wei to be early to mid 30s, that guys over 50 right?
I think they can pull it off, Donnie Yen does look pretty young for his age and he keeps himself in peak physical shape kind of like Jackie Chan.

I'm angry as in a world where tomb raider gets sequels, sleeping dogs(and possibly deus ex) won't. Sure United Front doesn't have the resources. But Square could have helped them with funding or get a second team to help them. I like Donnie Yen and if the movie is good( very slim chance), I would watch it. But this makes me upset as we may never get another sleeping dogs game. And with Square wanting to make marvel games(with some sort of online component) only diminishes those chances.

Xander51

I had no idea this was happening, and now seeing its original announcement and a final confirmation on the same morning...wow! I'm happy for any new Sleeping Dogs content, even though it's not a sequel to the game. A movie is honestly more than I ever expected would happen.

Please let this movie reignite interest in this franchise. I think I honestly enjoyed the first game more than I did Grand Theft Auto 5, and I really like GTA5.

^in some ways I think it's a better crime movie than GTA V... I suppose I like GTA V's story a bit more in the end, but the way I see it is always a bit more like a drama series, sort of like ... actually, I think I wrote on this before. Basically sort of like this, on the pacing and style of each:

Sleeping Dogs is basically perfect as a movie... It has fast, focused pacing with a story that is stereotypical in all the good ways, in terms of being aware of what it is, its limitations, and smartly staying within its boundaries and giving the player exactly what they want and expected in a focused, quickly paced, and satisfying way.

Grand Theft Auto V is more like a comedy/crime sitcom, like classic Miami Vice or something, with a focus on caricatures rather than characterization, and witty banter and dialogue rather that drives the story rather than the core plot itself. The story and plot are more just a setting for which the caricatures entertain the player. It's themes and mood are much less Heat (1995) and much more Friday (1995).

Both games have top notch stories worth playing and are among my top 5 last-gen games. But SD is more like a movie you'll enjoy a lot and then be done with for a while once you reach the ending; GTA V is like a sitcom you can stick with for a long time and keep re-watching your favorite episodes because the caricatures are entertaining.

The one thing I give GTA V a lot of credit for is the entertaining banter. Because, even years on, any time I replay a mission, I find myself still re-watching the cutscenes over and over. Not because the story per se, but more so just because Lamar's sarcasm or Michael's dry wit or Trevor's facial acting.

The only other game I think really does that for me -- where I can re-watch and enjoy cutscenes so many times and never got bored, not because of the story but purely on the merits of the cutscene direction and acting -- is FF XII.

Top Bottom