• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Got that trophy, just had to save and reload.

Now going for the 50 vault attack gold stat thing which is kind of a chore, but I've made some dumb fun out of it. It's probably better to do this in missions but I think that's boring so I've been terrorizing the little market outside of the Aberdeen apartment. I have it down to a science now of park the car outside of the market, vault and attack the 2 wok holding guys, then drive around that big oval so I lose the cops/the wok dudes respawn. The funny thing though, is that while the people reset the thrown away woks do not, so whenever I go back the ground is just littered with blue glowing woks from these poor cooks I've punched in the face.

There is one that adds random crime missions. I guess that is kinda fun if you wanna extend the playtime. Also the racing pack that adds three new races.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Didn't know you could do this, while you have a guy like this

9xGpX.jpg

and press Square/ X, you will shoot whoever you have in the calf.

So many little things I love it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so I have been playing for a while now. So far I only have one main complaint: If you are going to block us from some collectables until a certain mission, don't make them visible on the minimap until that mission. I found some in a couple buildings, some in a cargo boat, some apparently in some tunnels, some back in another property... all of them blocked off right now. It's really annoying to me, especially since you can't set bookmarks on the map like in Saint's Row 3.

Okay so I have been playing for a while now. So far I only have one main complaint: If you are going to block us from some collectables until a certain mission, don't make them visible on the minimap until that mission. I found some in a couple buildings, some in a cargo boat, some apparently in some tunnels, some back in another property... all of them blocked off right now. It's really annoying to me, especially since you can't set bookmarks on the map like in Saint's Row 3.

Note that the statues are the only collectables that does it, everything else is fair game if you find it.

but yea it was annoying since i was trying to see if there was a way to get in a building of one of them i found LOL

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ha, I enjoyed overhearing that conversation in the hospital where a nurse was talking about the recent rise in hit-and-run's on pedestrians, and that someone might be purposefully running people over (I am).

HoosTrax

I'm on the mission about 4-5 hours in, where Wei has to "prove himself", so to speak, in particular to Conroy.

This is the mission Payback, which is the first where you have access to guns outside of the tutorial. Are there negative consequences if I shoot (kill) the gangsters in the warehouse? Does it result in a bad ending later? What with Wei being an undercover cop and all, and clearly showing reluctance during the beginning of the mission during the drive to the warehouse. I mean, even though he probably killed several people with melee attacks up to this point...

There are no alterernate endings and you are expected to kill the goons, it's probably not even doable otherwise. But yeah it's kinda ridiculous since you've already maimed and killed a bunch of guys and thus "proven" yourself.

HoosTrax

There are no alterernate endings and you are expected to kill the goons, it's probably not even doable otherwise. But yeah it's kinda ridiculous since you've already maimed and killed a bunch of guys and thus "proven" yourself.
Good to know, thanks.

--

Random aside, but I want to facepalm every time I go to steal a car and end up doing it from the wrong side of the car. I think I know how Brits and people from much of the rest of the world feel playing GTA now.

Dice

17 hours in and I
just met Uncle Po.
This is how I typically do sandbox games, not sure why, but boy can I whoop some ass! Because of all the drug busts my triad level is way behind my police level, but I think the moves from statues more than make up for it. I beat the 3 martial arts clubs so I think I can handle anything. With the help of races my face level is up to 9 now, so I'm the ultimate scary badass in fights and about to get some nice discounts. It's no Arkham City, but the combat gets decent when you pick up several new moves.

I ran into a nice glitch:

9MKHn.jpg

I hope they're okay with me leaving it there since they won't open the damn door. The mission dropped but didn't say that I failed, so I wonder if the truck will appear again.

And invisible walls are awesome and logical!

cgy94.jpg

And something funny related to Tiffany Spoilers

I guess the parlor girls heard she dumped me and felt bad for me? lol

Random aside, but I want to facepalm every time I go to steal a car and end up doing it from the wrong side of the car. I think I know how Brits and people from much of the rest of the world feel playing GTA now.
Haha yeah I kept crashing into oncoming traffic the first couple hours. Note to self: Be weary of driving in left-lane countries.

Dice

OH MY FUCKING GOD I have been doing races and just now I played Enduro and it has to be some of the worst racing I've played in the last decade. I went like 10 times and each time the same thing happened. I got a big lead, then all of the sudden on the straightway one racer goes double my speed (we all have the same bike) to catch up then pass me and stay 50 meters ahead, and then he stays there the rest of the race because I can't magically make my bike go faster. What the fuck is that? Racing is one of my two favorite genres and I was concentrating really hard to do a perfect run but there was just nothing to do about his superpowers. Is there a speed boost feature you can unlock later or something? That pissed me off so much I have to give the game a break for a while. Utter shit design.

Dice

And now I've gone back later and tried different things and still the same result every time. The pack behind me, and one magical guy just in front of me. I want to somehow delete this DLC so I don't even have to see the race on my map. This is completely disgusting AI design.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Noticed that most costume dlc is on sale so I bought drunken master and screen legends. Wish they explained shit in the descriptions, the ip man costume has this awesome unblock able rapid punch move replacement for the 4 light 1 heavy move.

The other one has an unbreakable sword, but doesn't have the slick animations of the sword from nightmare dlc.

Really enjoy the drunken master animations though.
You can find a full breakdown of all the features and content carried in every DLC pack for Sleeping Dogs over on the official community site in the About section.

And now I've gone back later and tried different things and still the same result every time. The pack behind me, and one magical guy just in front of me. I want to somehow delete this DLC so I don't even have to see the race on my map. This is completely disgusting AI design.
I think the trick is trying to find some way or something to block them, so that they get stuck.

You can find a full breakdown of all the features and content carried in every DLC pack for Sleeping Dogs over on the official community site in the About section.

I think the trick is trying to find some way or something to block them, so that they get stuck.

"The unique Wing Chun Master outfit improves your melee counter strikes and commands respect."

Your site doesn't mention that for this outfit the light light light light heavy move is replaced with a distinct one.

Speaking as a whole, y'all been doing a pretty piss poor job explaining any off the nitty gritty for dlc stuff imo.

Is there even a way to get more ammo for these dlc weapons? They do seem pretty half assed implemented due to the game not really having any sort of inventory.

Dice

That is not possible, as they recover incredibly quickly even from total wipeouts, and will speed past you (and I mean that, it is not slow) even on the final straight, and it is a wide road so there is nothing you can do. There is no ramming feature with bikes like there is with cars.

Seeing as how racing games are my favorite genre, and since the other races in the game show that they know how to design a good one, and this is the longest race in the game, this actually offended me so deeply (it really seems like a malicious design choice) that I directly contacted United Front about it. I need answers! This is the first time I have ever contacted a developer directly about a gameplay issue. Let's see what they say, if anything.

Got the game a few days ago, loving it, finally figured out how EASY it is to hack the cameras... on your first try if all the numbers are red don't use them again, ever, if anyone of them are orange just shuffle them around, It's so easy to hack...

EXGN

Just beat it, actually the first time an open world game has held me from start to completion (and I've played all the GTAs, RDR, Saint's Row, etc.). The story wasn't mind-blowing, but it was executed with enough variety and such great pacing that I ended up making it through. One of the best games of this year, for sure.

Just a bit disappointed in the ending though. Felt a little rushed with all the different reveals.

Dice

Yeah I just go 0123 and if any are yellow I move them elsewhere and with the reds continue from 4 and so on. It's so simple. It only failed me once when I got 3 digits first go and tried just counting up but it was a high number.

Is there an end up those money trucks? It seems to have capped at level 5 heat and 55k reward per truck. It's too much hassle at this point, especially when gambling is pretty simple and anything I buy now would just be for sake of collection.

Got the game a few days ago, loving it, finally figured out how EASY it is to hack the cameras... on your first try if all the numbers are red don't use them again, ever, if anyone of them are orange just shuffle them around, It's so easy to hack...

The game tells you that though when you are doing it but what helps is showing the previous attempts since you can eliminate based on what you tried previously and the rules

Atruvius

17 hours in and I
just met Uncle Po.
This is how I typically do sandbox games, not sure why, but boy can I whoop some ass! Because of all the drug busts my triad level is way behind my police level, but I think the moves from statues more than make up for it. I beat the 3 martial arts clubs so I think I can handle anything. With the help of races my face level is up to 9 now, so I'm the ultimate scary badass in fights and about to get some nice discounts. It's no Arkham City, but the combat gets decent when you pick up several new moves.

Haha yeah I kept crashing into oncoming traffic the first couple hours. Note to self: Be weary of driving in left-lane countries.

I think I killed when she dumped. Ran her over with a car and the proceeded to kick while she was laying down. NO ONE DUMPS WEI SHEN, MOTHERFUCKER!

This game is one of the best game of last year, the story was actually pretty engaging, I actually mainly did story missions and completed the game in 12 hours. There wasn't any padding.

Dice

Oopsieee, Shenny made a boo boo.

Funny thing is, the cab is faster. I am constantly getting out of my car so I can use a cab to fast travel. Because it's either that or drive around in all these crazy circling routes to get to where I need to be. The lack of options on this end kinda sucks, especially...

Needing to fast travel to the nearest parking lot, drive my car 1klm since there are no docks marked for fast travel, then swim 650m because lord knows where any fast boats are and they're probably off the side of the island anyway so driving one from that far would take just as long to get there. All just to play mahjong! (BTW why can't I use d-pad to play mahjong?)

Note to United Front Games: Play Saint's Row the Third and take MANY, MANY notes. The story in Sleeping Dogs is excellent but this is so, so, soooo obviously an amateur venture in the sandbox genre.

The game tells you that though when you are doing it but what helps is showing the previous attempts since you can eliminate based on what you tried previously and the rules

Yeah wasn't paying attention lol on my 3rd camera I realize how easy it is, also i don't even fight them i just run up in there with a car and run them over and hack the camera lol..

Yeah wasn't paying attention lol on my 3rd camera I realize how easy it is, also i don't even fight them i just run up in there with a car and run them over and hack the camera lol..

I love the fighting so most of the time it was that method but yea there were times i said "fuck it" and ran them over.

Dice

I think I killed when she dumped. Ran her over with a car and the proceeded to kick while she was laying down. NO ONE DUMPS WEI SHEN, MOTHERFUCKER!
I've done a bit of gangster roleplaying as well. One time a guy stopped his car in front of my driver seat so I couldn't get in, so I jack his shitty car just to back it up 4 feet. Well he has pissed about me throwing him on the ground and wanted to throw down himself, so I beat the shit out of him. While I was doing that, some other jackass was trying to drive around bumped into me, so I drag him out and beat his ass down right next to where the other guy was. Then I pulled out my 9 and shot them both in the head so everyone who saw would spread word that NOBODY FUCKS WITH WEI SHEN! NOBODY!

OG Kush

I've done a bit of gangster roleplaying as well. One time a guy stopped his car in front of my driver seat so I couldn't get in, so I jack his shitty car just to back it up 4 feet. Well he has pissed about me throwing him on the ground and wanted to throw down himself, so I beat the shit out of him. While I was doing that, some other jackass was trying to drive around bumped into me, so I drag him out and beat his ass down right next to where the other guy was. Then I pulled out my 9 and shot them both in the head so everyone who saw would spread word that NOBODY FUCKS WITH WEI SHEN! NOBODY!

haha I love doing little roleplaying shit like this. Walking down the street, someone gives you a funny look so you pull out the pistol and cap them shouting "yeah now what bitch! how that feel don't disrespect me again!"

Kammie

Thought I'd posted in this thread, but I guess not.

I have about 10 hours on this. It's kind of fun, but I think it has a lot of missed potential. I think the game is too entrenched in ridiculous videogame conventions... I really think it's time to move past some of this stuff. For example, the game is a barely-disguised collect-a-thon, and every item you need just automatically shows up on the map. Lazy and senseless videogame logic.

Or there's mechanics that are stuck in the days of the PS2. For example, as soon as you step out of a cop's zone, they forget they were ever chasing you, even if you're in plain sight and go back to them a second after.

The game is also telling me I'm 37% done with the story. I'm a trusted member of the Triad, but I probably haven't even done 8 missions for them yet. I spend more time doing cop stuff than thug stuff. Hopefully that'll change, but it's all way too rushed and imbalanced.

Art direction is spectacular. Fighting system kicks my butt. I'd probably have an easier time with it if my rig didn't get random slowdown at times.

All in all, I'm enjoying it, but this is a case where I wish videogames were growing up in terms of mechanics.

OG Kush

I'm happy that collectables are on the map as it gives incentive for people who wouldn't normally explore to see some really cool places in the game.

Dice

Finished the story. I didn't get level 10 triad, ended level 9 even though I tried to be ruthless as ruthless as possible and wore the highest-boosting triad outfit I could the whole time. Meanwhile the cop rating was finished like 4-5 levels worth of exp ahead of time. As I said, it's really obvious that this is an amateur sandbox game. They could have made the triad stuff fill out better if beating up those small groups gave you triad exp in addition to the face exp or even instead of it since I finished that way ahead of time and had tons of favor missions I didn't do.

As for the ending,
it seems like they left it open for a sequel but pretty much all but 5 guys are dead so I don't know what they plan on doing with that. Maybe some stuff with the American producer/gangster since that seemed to go nowhere?

eznark

Banned
For some reason the game no longer works with my 360 controller on the PC. It was working fine but now I can only use the menus. When I try to move, no dice.

Is this common?

AEREC

Finally finished this game (bought it for PC at launch) and it really is a mixed bag:

+ Combat was fun for the most part
+ Story was above average for a game
+ Characters were interesting (except for Jackie...he was annoying as hell)

- Sorry...but the game is downright ugly. Looks ok at night in the rain, but character models and world detail looked horrible.
- Driving was terrible
- City felt lifeless and bland
- Collectibles took no effort to find
- Combat was pretty shallow (but still somewhat enjoyable)
- Sidequests were boring
- Jackie Ma is one annoying fuck
- a lot of loose ends
- some date missions feel tacked on and pointless (and awkward to watch)

The ending was a bit of a let down given how many people raved about the story in this game...
Seriously...they know he's a cop and they are just going to let him live. Also Pendrew wasnt in the game enough to really care about him going down.

Kammie

For some reason the game no longer works with my 360 controller on the PC. It was working fine but now I can only use the menus. When I try to move, no dice.

Is this common?
Happens to me too. Don't know if this'll solve the issue for you too, but until the game loads in your apartment, do NOT touch the mouse, even on the main menu. Quit out and start the game again if you have the problem, also.

Kammie

I want to know why I can't call any girl whenever I want. Why do I have a phone if it only lets me call people when there's a forced mission? Is the blonde girl ever going to show up past that date where I took photos of her?

Dice

Wei Shen just plays girls and leaves, apparently deleting their number from his phone. I'm surprised he didn't bang Inspector Teng.
Well, maybe he did, depending on how to he responded to her question about "which home" at the end.

I wonder if I would have enjoyed this game a lot more if I hadn't just played through Saint's Row the Third.

I want to know why I can't call any girl whenever I want. Why do I have a phone if it only lets me call people when there's a forced mission? Is the blonde girl ever going to show up past that date where I took photos of her?

Nope as dating is just a mission (hell everything in your phone is a mission pretty much).

They try to justify it a bit where Wei explains that he's not interested in settling down yet but it was still poor.

The ending was a bit of a let down given how many people raved about the story in this game...
Seriously...they know he's a cop and they are just going to let him live. Also Pendrew wasnt in the game enough to really care about him going down.

They explain why though and its not a bad reason plus it lives up to what the Sun Un Yee was about. Plus he can't do much shit anyways since they have that info.

Pendrew had the bare minimum to show he was fucking shady and had to be taken down after that bullshit at the cemetary, but him being so linked to Uncle Po and company felt kinda sudden and off

Kammie

Nope as dating is just a mission (hell everything in your phone is a mission pretty much).

They try to justify it a bit where Wei explains that he's not interested in settling down yet but it was still poor.
Yeah, in the beginning, when he talks to Jackie.

At this point I've hugged more masseuses than anything.

The game is really leaving a lot to be desired so far. It's a shame.

Also, there is WAY too much handholding. Like... "Distract the cop (Marker shows up on the cop two feet away)." Then "Talk to No Ping" or whatever (marker shows up two feet away, where you just were)." Then "Hack the security camera (Marker shows up on the camera that's two feet away)." Etc. etc. It's pretty insulting.

Yeah, in the beginning, when he talks to Jackie.

At this point I've hugged more masseuses than anything.

The game is really leaving a lot to be desired so far. It's a shame.

Also, there is WAY too much handholding. Like... "Distract the cop (Marker shows up on the cop two feet away)." Then "Talk to No Ping" or whatever (marker shows up two feet away, where you just were)." Then "Hack the security camera (Marker shows up on the camera that's two feet away)." Etc. etc. It's pretty insulting.

Actually its when he was talking to Peggy (Winston's fiance) during the errand he was running for her.

As for your second point: eh, i didn't give a fuck tbh

Dice

I don't care about the handholding, though some of the missions have some lame shit going on where if you hesitate for a split second you fail, but to know what you need to do you have to take a moment to read what it's telling you. On some missions the popup saying what specific and unorthodox thing they wanted you to do didn't pop up until like the 5th try. This would be less annoying if failing didn't make you lose your buffs, since they become rather annoying to get applied after the 10th time of doing it.

Also probably the most annoying thing in combat are those grapple guys. Their attack that grabs you doesn't even turn red, and their kick that does turn red does it is ridiculously fast. And once they grab you the button you need to push to break away usually only flashes on screen for like a millisecond before they hit you in the stomach or throw you on the ground. Then a lot of times when they grab you from behind, there is an enemy in front but he isn't attacking and is somewhat off to the side, so it says press X to kick the guy but you don't kick air, and the the press Y to escape thing doesn't become available.

It's also not clear what "enemy class bonuses are disabled" for the face level bonus means, since I'd go into face mode and my non-counters would still suck against grapplers and advanced fighters. If those bonuses actually worked I may have had more freedom to trash guys creatively and get higher triad scores, but as the combat was, I mostly had to punch at blocking guys, grab people, and tackle them while waiting for chances to counter. Anything else was ineffective.

eznark

Banned
Happens to me too. Don't know if this'll solve the issue for you too, but until the game loads in your apartment, do NOT touch the mouse, even on the main menu. Quit out and start the game again if you have the problem, also.

Thanks, I'll try it right now. If it doesn't work it's getting deleted.

Dice

Seriously it's such a pain in the ass to get triad points...

Edit: Finally got level 10. Now I got a new move I will never need to use.

Cystm

Finally finished this game (bought it for PC at launch) and it really is a mixed bag:

+ Combat was fun for the most part
+ Story was above average for a game
+ Characters were interesting (except for Jackie...he was annoying as hell)

- Sorry...but the game is downright ugly. Looks ok at night in the rain, but character models and world detail looked horrible.
- Driving was terrible
- City felt lifeless and bland
- Collectibles took no effort to find
- Combat was pretty shallow (but still somewhat enjoyable)
- Sidequests were boring
- Jackie Ma is one annoying fuck
- a lot of loose ends

You are the anti me. I disagree with you on every point. Especially it being ugly, that's just batshit.

Insert Dennis4k gif
untitled-103c0sqc.gif

Dice

Yeah, it has such a rich palette yet nothing feels out of place. That is just one part of its brilliant art design.

kSV50.jpg

I saved all the girls and this one immediately stepped off into the water and inhaled. I figure it was either stockholm syndrome or she has people after her who will do much worse things than those pervs.

8mhSG.jpg

This motherfucker stole my friend's money. Turns out my goldeagle works just as well as a chase scene.

SxP

Then a lot of times when they grab you from behind, there is an enemy in front but he isn't attacking and is somewhat off to the side, so it says press X to kick the guy but you don't kick air, and the the press Y to escape thing doesn't become available.

I'm pretty sure you can just start mashing Y from the moment he grabs you. Even when a X prompt is displayed, mashing Y will make Wei escape.

It's also not clear what "enemy class bonuses are disabled" for the face level bonus means, since I'd go into face mode and my non-counters would still suck against grapplers and advanced fighters.

As far as I know, it just means you can grab grapplers and knife wielding enemies. So I always use face time to get some environmental kills on grapplers, since you can't otherwise get them. Feels pretty damn good when you throw an annoying grappler in an incinerator.

Top Bottom