• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

OG Kush

Finally finished this game (bought it for PC at launch) and it really is a mixed bag:

- Sorry...but the game is downright ugly. Looks ok at night in the rain, but character models and world detail looked horrible.

this makes no sense... your PC must suck or your eyes are broken.

Beat the game yesterday. Absolutely one of the best open world games I have played this gen. Mostly because the combat was fantastic and the story was highly engaging.

+Awesome graphics
+Good atmosphere
+Great combat system
+Very engaging story
+Awesome slow mo mechanic and gun combat was done right (not excessive)

my favourite open world games this gen

1.) Red Faction Guerrilla PC
2.) Infamous 1 & 2 PS3
3.) Sleeping Dogs PC
10.) GTA IV and BoGT PC
15.) Just Cause 2
10.) Mafia 2
100000.) RDR

For Sleeping Dogs 2, I hope they introduce a choice system ala Mass Effect.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is why I shouldn't have sandbox games.

pxGn1.jpg

Alright, Do Not Enter sign, let see what you're made of.

r0eda.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHA!!

NjSSA.jpg

...well shit. Adamantium, apparently.

Dice

Yes, I am insane.

I am an OFFICER of the LAW and you will cease these gambling activities IMMEDIATELY!

CPEAV.jpg

No? I guess we'll have to do things the HARD WAY.

AdqS6.jpg

t7bQt.jpg

Well, I guess that takes care of that, but that was only one half of the party. Surely the others to my left must be running for their lives...

VsTW2.jpg

Kammie

The game has certainly gotten funner now that I have the use of guns.

I love being driven around and shooting out tires:

53g3q.jpg

Awesome mechanic.

Dice

As if collecting shit isn't annoying enough. It's very frustrating to try and find your way around to a lockbox for 10 minutes only to realize it's locked to a mission. This has happened a few times already and it's killing my motivation to find them. It was already bad enough that they don't appear on the large map after you have seen them on your mini map. Again I must say: Look to SR3, United Front. So much gameplay here is PS2 era.

Also, why do cars snap back to the direction they were going when I let go of the handbrake? Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of turning in the first place? How do they snap back like that when I am still holding my turning direction on the stick (representative of holding the steering wheel there)? That's fucked up. Yet again, SR3 did these elements perfectly for the genre and made this even more disappointing by comparison.

Edit: Here is what I mean. I was holding the accelerator the whole time, and once I started turning I kept the stick all the way to the left, but here is what happened when I let go of the handbrake.

ij8LsdgdDn6k4.gif

Happens with all the cars at the most moderate of high speeds. WTF? Makes handbrake completely pointless. [Edit 1] And as you can see, the regular brakes were applied, seeming to be the cause of it snapping back, but the game it does that in its own. [Edit 2] Further investigation shows that bikes do it if you try to use the handbrake to pull a 180. So, it would seem the game is literally taking over the controls and telling you what driving maneuvers you are not allowed to do.

I love being driven around and shooting out tires:

Awesome mechanic.
Until the driver crashes into something and is too dumb to know how to back up and turn to get back on the road, so you are stuck there shooting endless guys coming at you until your car finally blows up. Happened to me 3 times.

I don't mean to hate on the game but some of these issues are just so obvious.

Kammie

Also, why do cars snap back to the direction they were going when I let go of the handbrake? Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of turning in the first place? How do they snap back like that when I am still holding my turning direction on the stick (representative of holding the steering wheel there)? That's fucked up. Yet again, SR3 did these elements perfectly for the genre and made this even more disappointing by comparison.
I'm more annoyed that I can't get my car to blow up. I also haven't fallen off a bike once. Though I did once crash my car into a beam and I flew about 100 meters through the air when I went through the front windshield.

One thing that's really odd is how there's not a single bicycle in Hong Kong. What a weird omission.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't remember any lockboxes being locked to missions, then again I got half of them after I did most other missions.

And they do show up on the larger map. Hit Square or X on the large map and you will see the collectibles.

As for the driving uh don't try and play it like Mario Kart?

Kammie

I use the emergency break but let go of the accelerator. Don't have any problems doing it this way.

I think there's a couple of statues that must be locked to missions, because they're either inside a building I can't go into, or on the map but not anywhere that I can see.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Statues for sure are tied to missions. I got all but one by going through the story so definitely don't go out of your way to find those. Except the last one.

As if collecting shit isn't annoying enough. It's very frustrating to try and find your way around to a lockbox for 10 minutes only to realize it's locked to a mission. This has happened a few times already and it's killing my motivation to find them. It was already bad enough that they don't appear on the large map after you have seen them on your mini map. Again I must say: Look to SR3, United Front. So much gameplay here is PS2 era.

I don't mean to hate on the game but some of these issues are just so obvious.

Lockboxes are not locked, some of the statues are though. The most resistance a lockbox will have is that safe cracking minigame attached and that is simple as hell.

They do appear on your large map but you have to press Q to see them (along with the other collectables and if you dated all the girls you will see all the ones not collected as yet)

I use the emergency break but let go of the accelerator. Don't have any problems doing it this way.

I think there's a couple of statues that must be locked to missions, because they're either inside a building I can't go into, or on the map but not anywhere that I can see.

Yea some of those are locked until you do a mission which involves the building in question. That annoyed the hell out of me at first

Dice

Lockboxes are not locked, some of the statues are though. The most resistance a lockbox will have is that safe cracking minigame attached and that is simple as hell.
"Locked to a mission" means they are in a room/area you can only get to while in a certain mission, and yes there are.

They do appear on your large map but you have to press Q to see them (along with the other collectables and if you dated all the girls you will see all the ones not collected as yet)
Those are only boxes you have already collected.

"Locked to a mission" means they are in a room/area you can only get to while in a certain mission, and yes there are.

Those are only boxes you have already collected.

Dont remember that happening with a lockbox tbh, (statues definitely). The only thing is not being able to open them while guys are wanting to kick your ass but i guess that makes sense

Plus as i said before you get the ability to see all of them (each based on a girl you dated, hence why i said the dates are just missions and worthless) on the map with the non collected ones coloured in a dark grey.

Then this feature is fucked on my game.

did you date all the girls or illyana at least since she is the one that allows you to see the lockboxes?

It will act as you said (shows the ones you already found) until you do that.

So for example the date with Not ping will allow you to see all the security cameras so

- After date is over game will tell you that all security cameras are shown on the map
- Go to map and press Q
- it should show a box with the current number of the stuff collected so far and their locations (coloured white)
- but in this case since you dated not ping you should also see security cameras colored dark grey around the map as well.

Plus make sure to zoom in while on the map page since some of them will appear at that point for some reason LOL.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
my largest problem with this game is the busted leveling system. why is it so hard to raise the triad level?

This! I'm about halfway through level 9 and it's a struggle to get any further. I'm replaying missions but I usually end up with a similar score as before so it barely increases.

Dice

So you are seeing the other collectables from those dates in that state (dark colored version = not collected) but not the lockboxes?
*sigh* I understand you're just curious but it was extremely fucking infuriating, as well as many other aspects of this game (let's put barbed wire on EVERYTHING so you ALWAYS have to go ALL THE FUCKING WAY AROUND) that I'm getting seriously fucking sick of discussing it.

Yes. The dark grey ones were not showing up, but for the other items they were. However, this seemed to have fixed itself after turning on social event popups and restarting the game (WTF?)

Also the box on the Big Smile Lee mission wouldn't let me collect it and leave. No, I had to finish the entire goddamn mission just to save that one box. Apparently jumping to the mission also made the game forget 4 boxes I had opened in North Point before that. AWESOME.

There were also two that you had to get from the ocean, but good luck being able to tell that by their placement on the map. And then of course once you realize it's from the ocean you have to travel the fucking galaxy to get to a port with a fast boat so you'd be better off just swimming.

Looks like I just have the DLC left. I hope it's good because while this game has had some nice memories I'm ready to say GOOD RIDDANCE after all this shit design. Not sure if I'll ever get 100% though because the events don't show up on the large map and I don't feel like figuring out how to systematically scour every inch of this amazingly unforgiving and roundabout city to find the 3 I haven't got.

*sigh* I understand you're just curious but it was extremely fucking infuriating, as well as many other aspects of this game (let's put barbed wire on EVERYTHING so you ALWAYS have to go ALL THE FUCKING WAY AROUND) that I'm getting seriously fucking sick of discussing it.

Yes. The dark grey ones were not showing up, but for the other items they were. However, this seemed to have fixed itself after turning on social event popups and restarting the game (WTF?)

Also the box on the Big Smile Lee mission wouldn't let me collect it and leave. No, I had to finish the entire goddamn mission just to save that one box. Apparently jumping to the mission also made the game forget 4 boxes I had opened in North Point before that. AWESOME.

There were also two that you had to get from the ocean, but look luck being able to tell that by their placement on the map. And then of course once you realize it's from the ocean you have to travel the fucking galaxy to get to a port with a fast boat so you'd be better off just swimming.

Looks like I just have the DLC left. I hope it's good because while this game has had some nice memories I'm ready to say GOOD RIDDANCE after all this shit design. Not sure if I'll ever get 100% though because the events don't show up on the large map and I don't feel like figuring out how to systematically scour every inch of this amazingly unforgiving and roundabout city to find the 3 I haven't got.

LOL that sucks

I see their programming has struck again if thats the case (hell the 1.7 fucked up my save somehow and killed my desire for the 100% run).

Tip: if you are playing Nightmare in North Point, in one of the objectives ensure you beat all the guys first before continiuing to the objective itself LOL

Dice

Okay I just used a guide to identify/get the last 3 open world events. After that I thought about just messing around, but the game really likes to cockblock you at pretty much anything you might want to do. The main missions were good, but it fails so hard at everything else so it should just be an action game not a sandbox game.

M.D

Should I play with all the DLC from the start? I have almost all of the DLC, including the ones that give you free skills and all that..

I'm thinking it might make the game too easy

hwalker84

Finally finished this game (bought it for PC at launch) and it really is a mixed bag:

+ Combat was fun for the most part
+ Story was above average for a game
+ Characters were interesting (except for Jackie...he was annoying as hell)

- Sorry...but the game is downright ugly. Looks ok at night in the rain, but character models and world detail looked horrible.
- Driving was terrible
- City felt lifeless and bland
- Collectibles took no effort to find
- Combat was pretty shallow (but still somewhat enjoyable)
- Sidequests were boring
- Jackie Ma is one annoying fuck
- a lot of loose ends
- some date missions feel tacked on and pointless (and awkward to watch)

The ending was a bit of a let down given how many people raved about the story in this game...
Seriously...they know he's a cop and they are just going to let him live. Also Pendrew wasnt in the game enough to really care about him going down.

The game is downright ugly on PC...... WHAT!!!

OG Kush

Should I play with all the DLC from the start? I have almost all of the DLC, including the ones that give you free skills and all that..

I'm thinking it might make the game too easy

Yep it makes it way more easier. I had some aswell, the one that started me off with so much money and added these extra money to find. Also something that gave me a lot extra triad and police points. I suggest deleting them as it makes it way to easy, thats what I did. i went into the games files and just cut and paste them in another folder incase I want to use them again. Thing is the dlc file names are all random letters so you have to take one out then start the game and see which one you took out. it's tedious but worth it, took me about 10 mins.

Dice

Use the DLC for triad points. They really skimped on the triad points.

Just got 100% on this game, now it's time to delete it.

I would like to thank the team for introducing me to Vivienne Lu.

I like how I was singing karaoke in the daytime and halfway through the song this guy came in to jam with me.

tgf6x.jpg

These poor girls host all night and scrub the floor all day.

NK62z.jpg

I visited Inspector Jane and she just talked on her phone then ate lunch. She had nothing to say to me, so I guess I was right about him banging her and bailing just like he did with the other girls. What an asshole.

yjSw0.jpg

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Just finished this game too... absolutely LOVED it.

It was unfortunate there were so many bugs in it though (I was playing the PS3 version). I'd actually been stuck in terrain twice and had to reboot the game, and once I punched some random chick on the street and she started flying around me in giant circles until I hit a load screen.

The graphics on the PS3 were nothing too impressive, but the excellent story and combat made up for that. Not to mention the atmosphere of the game (although I just returned from a trip to Hong Kong so maybe that helped me appreciate it a lot more).

I'm going to try for a 100% run.

Dice

I would always beat up medics if they came for some 18k member that I beat up.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for getting a better triad score in Buried Alive? It is the mission I've done poorest on (just a bit over 1 triangle).

Dice

1) As always, wear the 15% triad bonus outfit.

2) In the brawl, use the special counter you learned from finding the last statue. Use it a lot, only once in a while doing the leg or arm break. For grapplers use heavy attacks like your double kicks (standing or jumping) and tackle guys with knives but don't pick up the knife to kill because it kills them too fast and doesn't make up for it in points. Finishing guys off with that counter will net you better points than environmental finishes. It also gets you better points the less you were "expecting" it, so move around between them while waiting on them to attack. You can also catch one of the guys who set your car on fire.

3) In the car chase, just don't lose the main bike and use the smash move with the car to take out as many of the other bikes as possible.

4) In the boat, don't race to the island. Just drive the boat in circles and try to get lots of headshots and blow up every boat (in that order) until it says you can go to the island. You may even want to see if you can get a massage before going to make the headshots easier, or tea to survive the many bullets (though your boat can only take so much as well)

Unlike say, Devil May Cry, getting max score in triad missions feels restrictive, totally lame, and like you're manipulating a number-crunching system rather than simply playing the game at the highest level of proficiency.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered this and then played the demo (I don't know why I did it that way around) and IMO the demo is terrible.

It's two chase missions with some melee combat, and a tiny gun shootout.
That was 2GB download as well

Kammie

How do you guys ever get around to doing missions? Every time I go to the next one I get sidetracked due to an item on the map, and before I know it I've spent one hour chasing stuff down. Or if I'm going to a mission I run over someone, the cops begin chasing me, and after that I'm closer to an item or favor than I am the mission, and the cycle repeats. Arghh--this blasted OCD.

The story is awesome though, probably the most enjoyable part of the game.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I replayed some missions to get more triad points and was doing okay but then the game froze and I lost it all because I had to restart my PS3. Fuck it, I just be arsed any more.

Pakkidis

I just started this game, literally got out of the apartment and did a favor for someone.

Question. In the upgrade menu, their are two paths to take, can I upgrade both of them or do I have to choose one or the another for each lvl.

What are some of the more useful upgrades to focus on?

Kammie

I just started this game, literally got out of the apartment and did a favor for someone.

Question. In the upgrade menu, their are two paths to take, can I upgrade both of them or do I have to choose one or the another for each lvl.

What are some of the more useful upgrades to focus on?
You can upgrade whichever skill you choose between both. Just take a look and see what looks funner based on what you want to do. The truth is that the game is easy enough that you don't need most of that stuff.

I'm loving every mission on this thing, the story segments are just a pleasure. The voice actor for Wei is awesome, they couldn't have picked a better guy.

The art direction is also incredible. As is the lighting. I was just looking earlier at how the shadow of a building moved over the wall of another as the day went on.

So much swag!

ZSeuM.jpg

What lady would say no to a young and handsome doctor such as this?

M9e6M.jpg

And man, the lighting in here is just incredible.

zmubA.jpg

Also, I know this is blurred, but in terms of lighting, it looks pretty real.

BigAT

Has anyone ever had any controller issues with this game on PC? I just started playing it on Steam and while the game recognized my controller, many of the buttons are mapped/recognized incorrectly. X is mapped as A, A is mapped as B, RT and LT function as the start and the back buttons. I've never had a problem like this in any other game with automatic 360 recognition and there doesn't seem to be a way to manually reassign each button. Any ideas?

Top Bottom