• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

itxaka

Defeatist
Seriously hoping my rig can handle this.

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
CPU: i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
Heatsink: Corsair H100
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600mhz
SSD: Corsair Force 3 240 GB & Intel 320 series 160 GB
GPU: Diamond HD 5970
Power Supply: Corsair AX 850

I want to be able to run it at near max settings and still get decent frames, but it's worrying that SE still hasn't released any "recommended" requirements.

Nope, you should play farmville instead, that computer is crap.

Gazzawa

This game looks good. I'm not a huge review buff but from what I've seen it looks polished so it should be up there with the 8 out of 10s. Haven't seen anything revolutionary but it looks fun to play.

Sushigod7

Already have on order from Amazon I'll take the chance. Looks like Hard Boiled meets The Usual Suspects crossed with No Reservations Hong Kong and A Better Tomorrow thrown in for good measure. Can't go wrong here, I'll deal with a few bugs so I can smash heads with doors and car engines.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered this from NewEgg for $48, but deciding whether I want to keep my pre-order. I already have like 13 games in my backlog, and this is most definitely not going to help...

Chairhome

Awesome OT. I'd add that GSP was involved as a consultant for the combat (as said by the devs in the revenge video) and there is a random "[38]" in that paragraph for combat as well that needs to be removed, I'm guessing from wiki.

I'd buy this day one but I have such a big backlog. I'll probably wait till another sale on steam or somewhere else. I know people have been getting it for around $35ish on PC, which is a great deal, but I'll wait a little longer. I have a feeling this is going to be a great game though.

Tizoc

Who's Emma Stone?
Was interested in this game since the E3 trailer(s), hope the combat will be good as the trailers show.
Oh and I wonder if you can play thru this game while doing less 'violent'/bloody actions?

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
Already pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait until next Tuesday. As long as the combat is fun which based on early reviews seems to be the strongest point in the game, I doubt I will be disappointed. HYPE!

And awesome OT!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Who's Emma Stone?

4rK4o.jpg

iNvid02

another great ot, love the 56k jibe lol

this game looks like it could be the one i was always after, an open world martial arts type where you can run around and do crazy shit.

gonna try to avoid guns as much as possible

ironcreed

Banned
Can't wait to get lost in this world. So much stuff to do in this game, holy shit.

Yes indeed. I am so glad that this and Darksiders II are getting out ahead of the holiday gaming horde. Too many games either get crammed together or delayed into the next year. Not enough try to stand out by coming out ahead of the crowd in order to gain some momentum, as well as give players more time to spend with their games before being overwhelmed with all of the releases that are bunched up together. I think this game is in a nice slot.

ekim

Hopefully my retailer will dispatch my copy some days in advance to the release here in EU (next friday official).

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I worked on this game when it was True Crime. After 15 years in the game industry, this might be the first game I buy that I worked on.

Persona86

Banned
I worked on this game when it was True Crime. After 15 years in the game industry, this might be the first game I buy that I worked on.

Cool, that's interesting.

What other games did you work on? Did working on them make you not want to bother playing them because you worked so much on them?

Marleyman

Banned

Interesting; what about it that you worked on separated this title from the other open world titles out there?

I like what I've seen but not sure if I should day 1. I've got a moderate backlog I should focus on first but just thinking about the fun I had with human revolution last year is hyping me up, this would be the last hurrah of summer like hr and arkham asylum.

DanielJr82

Already have on order from Amazon I'll take the chance. Looks like Hard Boiled meets The Usual Suspects crossed with No Reservations Hong Kong and A Better Tomorrow thrown in for good measure. Can't go wrong here, I'll deal with a few bugs so I can smash heads with doors and car engines.
Thanks for the movie recs, lol. I'm in a Hong Kong mood.

I think everyone is going to be disappointed. Here are the problems I foresee. Cliched crime story with okay voice acting. Satisfying melee combat, but too much repetition make it a bore after 10 hours. Terrible gunplay that detracts from the melee combat. Too little to do outside of the main mission.
I've never expected anything more from this game than another True Crime, with all that this may entail. Streets of LA was fun, but somewhat imperfect.

Based on the hype surge it has received these past months I'm too expecting unfortunate grump from some folks.

Ravidrath

I have to say how pleased I am that this game seems to be good - a friend of mine worked on it before it was canceled, and the team at United Front suffered greatly under Activision. So it's great to see that they're being critically rewarded in the end, and hopefully the sales back that up, too.

Having learned nothing from True Crime 2, Activision cancelled the game because United Front needed time to make it good after Activision blew the scope way out. The game was originally an original, linear kung fu game, and they turned it into an open world True Crime sequel without properly scheduling for such a massively expanded scope.

Also, I know everyone loves to hate on Square Enix, but I think they really do deserve some credit for signing this and giving them time to finish it and make it good. Legally, signing a project handover like this is more difficult and expensive than a straight-up development deal, and Activision's hyper-competitive, slash and burn mentality can't make that any easier, either.

I've been wanting this game since I first heard of it several months ago, and would be buying it day one if my stupid 360 hadn't red ringed again. I won't have enough money to get it fixed for quite a while either. Sigh!

Very much looking forward to reading the GAF impressions though

Derrick01

Banned
I have to say how pleased I am that this game seems to be good - a friend of mine worked on it before it was canceled, and the team at United Front suffered greatly under Activision. So it's great to see that they're being critically rewarded in the end, and hopefully the sales back that up, too.

Having learned nothing from True Crime 2, Activision cancelled the game because United Front needed time to make it good after Activision blew the scope way out. The game was originally an original, linear kung fu game, and they turned it into an open world True Crime sequel without properly scheduling for such a massively expanded scope.

Also, I know everyone loves to hate on Square Enix, but I think they really do deserve some credit for signing this and giving them time to finish it and make it good. Legally, signing a project handover like this is more difficult and expensive than a straight-up development deal, and Activision's hyper-competitive, slash and burn mentality can't make that any easier, either.

I didn't know it was supposed to be linear originally. I'm glad Activision changed that at least.

DJIzana

I've been wanting this game since I first heard of it several months ago, and would be buying it day one if my stupid 360 hadn't red ringed again. I won't have enough money to get it fixed for quite a while either. Sigh!

Very much looking forward to reading the GAF impressions though

You could always buy the PC version, use your 360 controller there... pretty sure that'd work just as well if you have a decent gaming PC.

I'm happy to see it's finally making release after the long hard road to this point. It's looking really sharp.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Would be interested to hear details about when it was Black Lotus.

*Edit: Most of what I typed is already in the OT... sorry.

Treyarch was the initial developer of Black Lotus, until Activision switched their focus to develop CoD: World at War. The game had a female protagonist based on Lucy Liu, but Activision believed that a female protagonist wouldn't move as much units as a male protagonist. So when they handed the game off to United Front to complete, the protagonist shifted to a male and the game was re-branded under Activision's True Crime series. Activision later declined to further fund the game citing a lack of a profit margin. SquareEnix is now the publisher, but does not have the rights to the True Crime brand, so the game was renamed to Sleeping Dogs.

A couple of people on gaf claim to have worked on the title when it was still a True Crime sequel. They would probably know more about the details of what Black Lotus was originally.

Top Bottom