• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's Steamworks, so it's kinda academic, but a retail version is available in Europe, and so British Pricing is available. It's already £25 from The Hut, for example. Expect it to drop notably in a few weeks.
Oh I realize that, but I simply enjoy having actual physical cases and discs for the games I buy. Not having them makes it feel as if I don't actually own it (or at least that it isn't in my collection).

iNvid02

fmfAr.gif

im sorry i just wanted some pizza

Wag

no you need to use your real life phone (some shitty meta game), text ming and then something afterwards like pizza to 212-941-7994

you'll get a code back to enter and the mission icon appears - no idea why they chose to do this
OK, this is confusing. Heh. So WTF does the smartphone icon pop up? Where do I find the phone I need to use?

Slermy

X times 5
X, hold X
X, X, hold X, so on and so forth

Grapple is B
- up to three Xs to finish with a throw down
- X, hold X
- X, X, hold X

Counter is Y
- you can counter someone while you're attacking or holding someone.

Hold A to run
- B to tackle (I don't remember if you can do this without unlocking the skill)
- X to jump kick
- A to run off wall, then X for off the wall kick

Edit:
You can't always grab one of the fat guys, you'd have to stagger them. Nor can you interrupt their attacks, so you either counter their punch/kick, or you go through the QTE when they grab you.

Oh thanks, I had figure about the grapple and counter, but didn't know about the kicks or tackles.

Salsa

game is looking great, but im having an issue where even though FRAPS and the benchmark register constant 60fps for the most time, the game still feels stuttery and whatnot.. :/ any ideas?

Derrick01

Banned
game is looking great, but im having an issue where even though FRAPS and the benchmark register constant 60fps for the most time, the game still feels stuttery and whatnot.. :/ any ideas?

I'm getting a decent amount of stuttering in places too. It's not Darksiders 2 bad but it's a solid amount.

I'm glad it's not just me. These games made me think my PC was dying.

Wag

The game definitely has some framerate issues. I think for me it's more a Crossfire an issue than anything (I have a tri-Crossfire 6950 setup). ATI needs to put out a new CAP that supports the game.

Salsa

I'm getting a decent amount of stuttering in places too. It's not Darksiders 2 bad but it's a solid amount.

I'm glad it's not just me. These games made me think my PC was dying.

it's just weird. Fraps never drops from 60 and I get the same amount of stuttering no matter the settings, just dropped everything to the lowest possible and it's exactly the same

I think I might pick this up. Game looks pretty fantastic graphically, gameplay looks solid.

And holy shit, the music sounds great! Every vid I've watched, which isn't that many tbh, has had really fantastic and different music playing. Like this one linked in the Sleeping Dogs performance thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvn5yKrJYK0&list=PLECC8B462D30B6517&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Edit: Just found the song I was talking about after a little search. Check it out guys, it's marvelous!

Derrick01

Banned
it's just weird. Fraps never drops from 60 and I get the same amount of stuttering no matter the settings, just dropped everything to the lowest possible and it's exactly the same

Someone mentioned to me in the darksiders thread that limiting the FPS can help it, and when I capped it at 60 for this game with the in game limiter I did notice a slight improvement. So give that a shot, it won't get rid of it but it should help a slight amount.

B-Dex

Loving the Karaoke... lol

Having a blast with the game. Some of the fights are tough tho. Take out 15 guys alone... ok thanks....

how's the performance for the ps3 version? framerate, image quality, etc. my choice is between pc version on my work desk with smaller monitor, or on ps3 with big tv and comfy couch.

I can tolerate console limitation as long as it isn't too extreme.

B-Dex

how's the performance for the ps3 version? framerate, image quality, etc. my choice is between pc version on my work desk with smaller monitor, or on ps3 with big tv and comfy couch.

I can tolerate console limitation as long as it isn't too extreme.

Personally haven't noticed anything glaring. But it does run at 720p.

Salsa

Someone mentioned to me in the darksiders thread that limiting the FPS can help it, and when I capped it at 60 for this game with the in game limiter I did notice a slight improvement. So give that a shot, it won't get rid of it but it should help a slight amount.

im still at the WHQL release of Nvidia's drivers so im downloading the latest beta just in case

jtrov

Absolutely loving this game right now. Only about 4 hours in so far and I've rarely done any story missions since the game finally opened up. I've been spending most of my time checking out the shops and trying to level my face.

I had no idea what to expect from the game music-wise, but damn am I loving the radio stations so far. Some really good tracks for the mayhem being caused. I'm also digging the brutality of the combat thus far. It's an awesome sight to see Wei all beaten the hell up after surviving a random scrum in the alleyways. The game is just a damn blast. Can't wait to sink more time into it.

Salaadin

Regarding the high res texture pack...

I didnt download the game yet but I went to the DLC section and told it to download the texture pack. The texture pack is now listed under the DLC for Sleeping Dogs and tagged as "all dlc is automatically installed and uninstalled with the game". Does this mean that tomorrow, when I remotely download Sleeping Dogs, its going to dl the full game plus the texture pack while Im at work?

Please say yes.

Karak

Man its nice to see so many people like this. After beating it I was nervous even posting my impressions thinking I might have been hyperbolic but it appears my enjoyment may have been LESS than many others and I liked it so much I bought it twice. Awesome news for this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I might end up playing all night... A game hasn't grabbed me this bad in years.

I haven't even touched my copy of Darksiders yet, and I LOVED Darksiders 1

I think I might pick this up. Game looks pretty fantastic graphically, gameplay looks solid.

And holy shit, the music sounds great! Every vid I've watched, which isn't that many tbh, has had really fantastic and different music playing. Like this one linked in the Sleeping Dogs performance thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvn5yKrJYK0&list=PLECC8B462D30B6517&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Edit: Just found the song I was talking about after a little search. Check it out guys, it's marvelous!

Thanks so much! I was about to go on a song searching journey, you made that too easy for me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Impressions

1. This doesn't feel like Hong Kong. Don't get me wrong, I love the city to death, but it should be much MUCH dirtier and more neon-y.
2. I fucking HATE the mix of Eng and Canto. It's very distracting especially when I know people don't talk like that there. I mean...really? You couldn't have the PC speak SOME Cantonese? Why bother with an Asian actor then? I'm not saying HK people don't mix Eng/Canto, but the ratio is more like 80-90% Canto vs 20-10% Eng.
3. The Chinese that is in there is pretty good and the background voices are excellent and really make you feel immersed in the environment even if everyone is call you a pok gai.
4. The few parts where it is pure Canto...some they translated dead on, some I wouldn't agree with, but I guess that follows the HK shtick they got going.
5. Driving can be great at times and shit at others.
6. I just got the gun...I'm already disliking it.
7. Story is kinda dumb and I would've preferred it as you're a neutral force where you naturally run into these factions where you have to choose. You're not 'undercover' you're just a regular dude who had a bad past and the triads and police want to take advantage of that. This could've made it a bit more open ended with the ending...though I'm not there yet.
8. Hand to hand can be a bit repetitive, but it feels pretty good. I hate holding down X at certain intervals to perform a new 'move'.
9. I like the collectibles in this game.
10. I wish there were more jobs and side missions though I'm still fairly early in the game.
11. I dislike the shit mini games you have to play at certain parts; it gets super repetitive fast.
12. The dating...is kinda weird and I wish people would like you BUILD relationships instead of throwing two people together so quickly. Emma has some cheesy ass lines...

Those are initial impressions. Overall, I think it's a wonderful game with a breath of fresh air and a unique environment that isn't usually used in games. Graphics are above average and the rain is mindblowingly awesome! I don't have the hi res pack just yet though, so that may change. Game runs silky smooth too. No slowdown whatsoever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm also surprised how well the voice actors are in this game. Winston's okay, but everyone else has been awesome so far.

hmmm...

can you load up on those drug bust missions or must you go back home every single fucking time?

You can load them up, just did 3 in a row.
Also +1 on the soundtrack. They nailed having a licensed soundtrack that is appropriate to the setting but also fun and varied to listen to.

LiK

i'm loving the game and the Cantonese is fairly accurate except the names which are pronounced in Mandarin. it's weird.

btw, anyone else got the HKShip.exe error crash? happened to me twice so far. looks like others have as well in Steam forums.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Awesome game so far. The high res texture pack is glorious.

My only complaint is the "judder" they play when traveling at high speeds in a vehicle. It looks awful, and it makes it seem like I'm getting the dreaded PC game stutter. I wish I could toggle that off.

One question: how do you hack cameras that are high up on a wall?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

My only complaint is the "judder" they play when traveling at high speeds in a vehicle. It looks awful, and it makes it seem like I'm getting the dreaded PC game stutter. I wish I could toggle that off.

All the ones I've hacked led to a terminal on ground level. Just keep looking, they're there.

RS4-

Find a way to climb up there, around the building, etc.

massoluk

Banned
Gun play sucks. I decided to try one of them drug bust mission. Bam. I've never gotten a gun before in the game, and the gangsters dropped me in no time. I assume it's because I never went through the proper shooting tutorial.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fantastic game so far. Love the fighting. Love the world. Digging the story.

Top Bottom