• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs PC Performance Thread

JohngPR

Tried it again, and windowed definitely didn't fix it for me.

I'm kind of thinking there's merit to it just being poor implementation of camera shake during fast speeds while driving.

I'm kind of thinking there's merit to it just being poor implementation of camera shake during fast speeds while driving.
Pretty sure that's what it is. I average 55 fps while driving and still get it. It also happens while sprinting for me.

Salsa

in my case (and im guessing MvmntInGrn's as well) it isnt related to the shaky cam. It happens even when just turning the camera around Wei.

I'm seeing this during driving and I think it is just a strange "going really fast" camera effect as well, its nothing like the stuttering that I was personally referring to before at least.

edit: And Beaten ;)

I cant tell if the Hi Res texture pack is working or not, cant tell really. Like I said, its installed in Steam Properties but in-game DLC section it says I have no DLC installed. Any help?

I cant tell if the Hi Res texture pack is working or not, cant tell really. Like I said, its installed in Steam Properties but in-game DLC section it says I have no DLC installed. Any help?

All you have to do is enable it in advanced video settings. It doesn't show up in the in-game DLC list.

JohngPR

Ah...sorry guys, I thought you had it only during driving as well. :(

Hope you guys find a solution.

I know it's from a totally different game (in this case DarkSiders II) but just in case it would work in a different game, Scitek and Aeana said this fixed stuttering in that game:

Download MSI Afterburner. Start the OSD Server and add the Darksiders 2 exe to it. Hit the settings button and tell it to limit the game to 60fps. Then, force Vsync through Inspector. It runs without a hitch for me and I'm forcing 2xSGSSAA.
This + forcing triple buffering via D3DOverrider fixed all of my issues. Stuttering is gone, no tearing.

Of course, replace Darksiders 2's .EXE with Sleeping Dogs. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stock 5850 Crossfire / i5-750 @ 3.3GHz / 16GB RAM:

sleepingDogsBench1.png

All you have to do is enable it in advanced video settings. It doesn't show up in the in-game DLC list.

Ok, its working. I was worried as when I bought the game, I started the d/l for the game, then the d/l for the texture pack and it opened up a separate window for that. Well, I wanted to play a game and it wouldnt let me as the separate window for the texture pack was not allowing me to open any game so I cancelled it thinking I would just get it later after I play. Well, I finish my game and think im gonna walk away to let the game d/l because I didnt think games would d/l when you are playing another game. Too my surprise, the game was done when I finished up so I went to d/l the texture pack. It said that was d/led too and I sat confused.

Anyways, im running a i7-2600, 7850, 8 GB RAM, and the game runs great with everything at high. Avg 60 FPS with max at 103 and min at 34 for the Benchmark.

Salsa

just a heads up for MvmntInGrn: game works ok with ShiftWindow.

5KcuV.png

this basically gives you a "fake fullscreen" by making the window borderless and fitting it into your screen. It's virtually the same thing (vsync is a bit wonky among maybe other minor issues), but not at all a definitive solution. I'll be playing like this till release a patch or adress the issue or something, though.

just a heads up for MvmntInGrn: game works ok with ShiftWindow.

this basically gives you a "fake fullscreen" by making the window borderless and fitting it into your screen. It's virtually the same thing (vsync is a bit wonky among maybe other minor issues), but not at all a definitive solution. I'll be playing like this till release a patch or adress the issue or something, though.
Thanks, I'll definitely be using this too for the moment (bright window edges messing with my eyes a bit).

If this game is using FXAA, why is there such a large performance difference between the different levels of anti-aliasing? Going from low to medium or medium to high should barely have an effect if this really was FXAA.

Dennis

Banned
OK GAF PC gaming newbs, I guess no one can tell me how to disable FXAA and instead use SSAA.

Does the AA setting ingame have to be off to disable FXAA and then SSAA enable by Nvidia Inspector?

Or is one of the in-game AA settings actually the SSAA setting?

How about MSAA?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OK GAF PC gaming newbs, I guess no one can tell me how to disable FXAA and instead use SSAA.

Does the AA setting ingame have to be off to disable FXAA and then SSAA enable by Nvidia Inspector?

Or is one of the in-game AA settings actually the SSAA setting?

How about MSAA?
The extreme AA setting is SSAA.

Wait, no. I think FXAA gets left on with extreme. Weird if true.

Jtrizzy

I don't think you can turn off FXAA. In fact I think it's on high and used together with SSAA if you are using the extreme setting.

Sethos

Banned
If this game is using FXAA, why is there such a large performance difference between the different levels of anti-aliasing? Going from low to medium or medium to high should barely have an effect if this really was FXAA.

Because it's not just FXAA, "Normal" is FXAA on and SSAA Off. Then it goes up from there.

As for SLI, if you aren't on the latest developer driver the compatibility bit is: 0x0C4010F5 ( The bit included in the dev drivers is 0x004010F5, however I believe the former is better )

Latest dev driver: 305.67 Developer ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4385844&postcount=1 )

Salsa

Cool, thanks.

Does Extreme AA also automatically disable FXAA - to get rid of the hideous, unacceptable, blur?

it really doesnt show

im playing with extreme AA pulling 60fps but that's cause im playing it with a controller on a 720p TV, and I dont notice any of the usual FXAA blur

Sethos

Banned
it really doesnt show

im playing with extreme AA pulling 60fps but that's cause im playing it with a controller on a 720p TV, and I dont notice any of the usual FXAA blur

How close are you to this TV? I know Dennis, like me has a 30" monitor and with that kind of sharpness through pixel density, FXAA shows up like a pair of smudged Christmas lights at times.

Salsa

How close are you to this TV? I know Dennis, like me has a 30" monitor and with that kind of sharpness through pixel density, FXAA shows up like a pair of smudged Christmas lights at times.

not that far. Maybe the SSAA just helps a lot, cause it's not even close to the worst ive seen in terms of FXAA ugliness

eso76

sounds like i should be more than ok with
i7 940
6 gb DDR3
GTX 460 1GB
playing at 1080p

guess i'll be playing this on pc

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, viewing distance makes a huge difference.

When I'm using my plasma, FXAA actually looks incredible and very sharp (from 6ft away). Playing on my 27" monitor, however, at a higher resolution definitely looks much less appealing.

I definitely prefer gaming on the plasma, however, as it stomps a hole in any LCD on the market in every area outside of resolution. It's hard to enjoy games on my monitor even though the high resolution can be appealing at times. :\

Soi-Fong

Rig:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
CPU: i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
Heatsink: Corsair H100
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600mhz
SSD: Corsair Force 3 240 GB & Intel 320 series 160 GB
GPU: Diamond HD 5970

AA = High
SSAO = High
HKShip2012-08-1400-32-55-92.jpg

AA = Extreme
SSAO = High
HKShip2012-08-1400-16-28-74.jpg

High - res DLC = OFF
AA = Extreme
SSAO = Hight
HKShip2012-08-1400-49-34-38.jpg

High res textures don't affect the performance much. Actually barely in my case.

Also, crossfire or SLI currently isn't working in the game. AMD in my case has to put out caps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rig:

AA = High
SSAO = High
HKShip2012-08-1400-32-55-92.jpg

AA = Extreme
SSAO = High
HKShip2012-08-1400-16-28-74.jpg

High - res DLC = OFF
AA = Extreme
SSAO = Hight
HKShip2012-08-1400-49-34-38.jpg

High res textures don't affect the performance much. Actually barely in my case.

Also, crossfire or SLI currently isn't working in the game. AMD in my case has to put out caps.
Pretty sure crossfire is working on my rig, no CAPs needed. Pretty sure it's working on your rig too, because you're not gonna get that kind of performance out of one 5850, which is about how a 5970 performs without crossfire.

I would try a run with crossfire disabled just to make sure.

knitoe

Rig:

Crossfire is working for my 6970s. I am getting more fps@1440p CF vs 1080p single card. See my previously posted benchmark results.

SJRB

Gold Member
Gentlemen, I need your help.

I recently bought a new PC after using a core2duo laptop for about 5 years and this game is pretty much the first game that's giving me trouble, performance-wise. I have an i5 with 6 GB ram and a GeForce 530 with 2 GB vram.

In order to have an mildly acceptable performance I had to tone down every single option in the menu. Which usually isn't a big deal for me, but in this case I had to remove the shadows from the game entirely and that is just crossing the line for me. It feels like I'm spitting the developers in the face because it completely removes all the atmosphere the city has.

Is there something I'm missing? Why can I not deactivate anti aliasing completely? I don't want to run "normal", I want to deactivate it. I'm not really sure why this game is giving me such a hard time, but all I do is pay attention to the performance instead of just enjoying this goddamn game.

I benchmarked and it turned out pretty good, so I must be overlooking something obvious.

Gentlemen, I need your help.

I recently bought a new PC after using a core2duo laptop for about 5 years and this game is pretty much the first game that's giving me trouble, performance-wise. I have an i5 with 6 GB ram and a GeForce 530 with 2 GB vram.

In order to have an mildly acceptable performance I had to tone down every single option in the menu. Which usually isn't a big deal for me, but in this case I had to remove the shadows from the game entirely and that is just crossing the line for me. It feels like I'm spitting the developers in the face because it completely removes all the atmosphere the city has.

Is there something I'm missing? Why can I not deactivate anti aliasing completely? I don't want to run "normal", I want to deactivate it. I'm not really sure why this game is giving me such a hard time, but all I do is pay attention to the performance instead of just enjoying this goddamn game.

I benchmarked and it turned out pretty good, so I must be overlooking something obvious.
Your graphics card is worthless, don't blame the game. Also, that 2GB 'VRAM' is most likely just DDR3 which, again, is just as worthless.

MBison

Ive never really understood vsync. I understand that basically syncs with refresh so max fps is like 60 then right? I have vsync off and get massive tearing, distracting enough when I rotate around. What are reasons to play with vsync off? I get max fps at like 140 with vsync off but the tearing isn't worth it.

This is with hires textures on, aa at extreme and Ssao at normal.

Does anyone play with vsync off but manages to not get tearing?

Benchmark said I'd get something like 70+ fps on average, lows of 40. Seems on main streets it's constantly on the low end.

Also, after a few hours a weird problem developed where driving fast makes the view shake. It happens on the map too.

Extreme SSAO seems busted to me, I turned it off in my review build. It added weird glowing effects to all the characters and odd lines across the screen.

With SSAO on the notch below Extreme and without supersampling, my game runs wonderfully. Looks good, too, for an open-world game. It shows its console roots in the character models but otherwise it's nice.

It reminds me of ubersampling from The Witcher 2 in how it murders my framerate and heats my card way the fuck up.

Top Bottom