• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs PC Performance Thread

30, 51, 75
2500k, 8GB, 570@40MHz+
1080p, everything the highest except AA on mid.

It seems as it would run and look perfectly fine, but there's some stupid nonsense with my drive I think, so I get this annoying stuttering. Until it suddenly just vanished a couple of minutes before the game crashed.

Played a couple of hours of the game and it's a lot of fun, driving through Hong Kong on a motorcycle in the rain at night with The Jam playing on the radio is just awesome

Game looks great on PC, performance is pretty good too. I'm running on a Geforce 555M and getting a solid 30 FPS at 900p in windowed mode.Tried 1080p fullscreen but actually got worse performance, usually get equal or better.

LiK

30, 51, 75
2500k, 8GB, 570@40MHz+
1080p, everything the highest except AA on mid.

It seems as it would run and look perfectly fine, but there's some stupid nonsense with my drive I think, so I get this annoying stuttering. Until it suddenly just vanished a couple of minutes before the game crashed.

people mentioned that if you play in Windowed mode, the stuttering is gone. try that.

Thanks, this will be useful for me.

What nvidia card is most similar to the 6750M? I have a 555M

OK, First benchmark at defaults at 1680x1050 with high textures OFF

LLQpT.jpg

It seems pretty darn smooth. Most certainly playable (and then some).
I couldn't get the Hi-Res textures to download, it said they were already installed (But then wouldn't enable in game). Verifying the cache of the game has now kicked off a 9 gig download from steam.

Will post benchmarks with same settings and high res textures ON as soon as this download has completed.

Hey guys, anybody that is having issues with the game popping into windowed mode randomly while playing I think I found a way to stop it from happening. Go into options, then into game control settings and switch the control to either ONLY gamepad or ONLY mouse. I found that have it set to "automatically switch between" was causing the windowed mode bug. Give it a try, worked for me, hope it helps.

Also, add me to the list of people that are getting stuttering during driving as well as just random times in the game, even while just moving the camera around wei while walking. I tried windowed mode and it seemed to help a little, but not much. at 1920x1080

My rig...
ASUS G74sx Gaming Laptop
2.2 GHz Core i7 2.2 GHz
Nvidia GTX 560M
8 gigs

It looks like N Monk (posts above me) will do a benchmark to help us laptop guys.
OK, First benchmark at defaults at 1080P with high textures OFF

http://i.imgur.com/LLQpT.jpg

I couldn't get the Hi-Res textures to download, it said they were already installed (But then wouldn't enable in game). Verifying the cache of the game has now kicked off a 9 gig download from steam.

Will post benchmarks with same settings and high res textures ON as soon as this download has completed.
Sweet, what are your specs? I looked up 17" Macbook Pro and it looks like:

2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
1GB Radeon HD 6750M
4GB RAM

Is that it? If so I have an extraordinarily similar laptop but my i7 is one step below that... 2Ghz with 6MB cache instead of 2.2Ghz with 8MB. However I have a 6770M instead of a 6750M and an extra 2GB of RAM. Should I expect similar results, faster because of my gfx card and RAM, or slower because of my processor?

WarMacheen

Runs pretty good, I do get the stutter in full screen though. I'll try to remember to benchmark it later tonight...and also try windowed mode to see if the stutter goes away.

7970x2
16g ram

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is the stutter during racing segments?

I think that might just be the shaky cam they use in races for whatever reason.

Runs smooth on mine with everything set to the max except for AA and SSAO, and I only have a 6850 and 4gb of ram, so I don't think it's your rig.

I see there's a Sleeping Dogs benchmark utility. Can you download it separately from the game itself?

It never made any sense to me at all how these demo-less games feature a benchmark, but you actually have to buy the game in order to run the benchmark to see how well your computer can run it.

people mentioned that if you play in Windowed mode, the stuttering is gone. try that.
No improvement for me.

I'll tell you what has worked twice in a row now though. Buying stuff from that one clothes shop in the market with the cheapo sunglasses. Really weird.
Only stuck for like a minute, oh well.

Guess I should try updating my drivers huh?

If the in-game AA solution puts a massive hurt on performance, couldn't you turn it off entirely and enable some form of AA in the GPU control panel? Or would that be just as bad (or worse)?

Levyne

Banned
OK, First benchmark at defaults at 1680x1050 with high textures OFF

http://i.imgur.com/LLQpT.jpg[IMG]

Will post benchmarks with same settings and high res textures ON as soon as this download has completed.[/QUOTE]

Hmm seems like it should run fine but I am interested in the hit with the high-res enabled. My screen is also only 900p so that should help for performance a bit.

Hmm seems like it should run fine but I am interested in the hit with the high-res enabled. My screen is also only 900p so that should help for performance a bit.

Reasonable news for us laptop users then! Hi Res appears to not drag down performance too much in the benchmark.

Z7pLB.jpg

My plan if it gets a bit choppy when I play for real is to probably drop down to 720-ish Res.

Probably still nicer looking than the 360 version.

derFeef

My graphic settings won't save. Everytime I change something it jumps back to extreme settings in the advanced menu, even though it's set to custom.

LiK

My graphic settings won't save. Everytime I change something it jumps back to extreme settings in the advanced menu, even though it's set to custom.

same issue but diffrent settings. seems to be an issue after the latest update.

Levyne

Banned
Reasonable news for us laptop users then! Hi Res appears to not drag down performance too much in the benchmark.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7pLB.jpg[IMG]

My plan if it gets a bit choppy when I play for real is to probably drop down to 720-ish Res.

Probably still nicer looking than the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Awesome news. I will still be diligent and wait for a demo but now it's definitely on my radar.

dino1980

Graphic card 7970 OC 1200, 1575
Processor i5 2500k OC 4.2 Ghz
Ram 8GB
SSD Harddrive

1080p with everything to highest except AA set to high
Average 60FPS
Lowest 60FPS

When Im driving the framerate goes down to about 54 as lowest.

thabiz

What's this bullshit, can't change the graphical options without them jumping back to default straight away?

I was having the same issue. Try this. Change the settings, and just hit Esc, and save when prompted. When i tried to save in the advanced menu with "E" it wouldnt stick.

thabiz

Yeah, gotta love "patches" :p Well, I just edited the .xml instead. Doing some testing with various drivers.

The good ole days. Buying a product that worked, rather than waiting weeks or months for a fix. Or it didnt and it went in the trash.

Sethos

Banned
Did a quick comparison on the SLI bits, if anyone's interested.

Settings:

Resolution: 2560x1600
Quality Anti-Aliasing - Extreme
High-Res Textures - On
Shadow Resolution - High
Shadow Filtering - High
SSAO - High
Vsync - Off
Quality Motion Blur - On
FPS Limiter - Off

305.67 Developer Driver / SLI Disabled

Average: 22.4 FPS
Maximum: 30.5 FPS
Minimum 15.3 FPS

Comment: Ran smooth, as smooth as something can run at a framerate like that.

305.67 Developer Driver / SLI Enabled ( 0x004010F5 Default Bit )

Average: 19.1 FPS
Maximum: 29.4 FPS
Minimum: 11.3 FPS

Comment: Stuttery as hell.

305.67 Developer Driver / SLI Enabled ( 0x0C4010F5 Bit )

Average: 41 FPS
Maximum: 62 FPS
Minimum: 20.6 FPS

Comment: Smooth. Any hitching came from frame drops.

The good ole days. Buying a product that worked, rather than waiting weeks or months for a fix. Or it didnt and it went in the trash.

Yeah or back when games seemed to just work :p

Just replaced my 470 GTX with the Gigabyte 660 TI OC. Shall we see what it can do? This is on a I5-2500K @ 4.3ghz with 8GB ram.

Avg FPS: 78.6
Max FPS: 127.1
Min FPS: 46.9
Res: 1680x1050 @ 120hz
AA: High
Hi Res Textures: On
Shadow Res: High
Shadow Filter: High
SSAO: High
V-Sync: Off
Blur: On
FPS Limiter: Off

I REALLY wish I had recorded my FPS before I yanked out the 470. I was running it at the same settings. My avg was around 40, min around 20, max around 70.

LiK

Just replaced my 470 GTX with the Gigabyte 660 TI OC. Shall we see what it can do? This is on a I5-2500K @ 4.3ghz with 8GB ram.

Avg FPS: 78.6
Max FPS: 127.1
Min FPS: 46.9
Res: 1680x1050 @ 120hz
AA: High
Hi Res Textures: On
Shadow Res: High
Shadow Filter: High
SSAO: High
V-Sync: Off
Blur: On
FPS Limiter: Off

I REALLY wish I had recorded my FPS before I yanked out the 470. I was running it at the same settings. My avg was around 40, min around 20, max around 70.

vsync off? no tearing at all?

nashb81

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to remap keys? I tried assigning the cursor keys for driving and nothing's happening. Driving with WSAD sucks.

golem

Has anyone been able to remap keys? I tried assigning the cursor keys for driving and nothing's happening. Driving with WSAD sucks.

The first time I tried this what got me is that there are separate settings for Walking and Driving controls.. you might need to switch panels.

LiK

Looks like there was a 9MB update. Not sure what it did but I can save my gfx settings now. I backed out and confirmed save instead of saving and then backing out. Works now for me.

Looks like there was a 9MB update. Not sure what it did but I can save my gfx settings now. I backed out and confirmed save instead of saving and then backing out. Works now for me.
:( Was hoping this would fix the stuttering in Full Screen problem, but it hasn't.

Jabo

Massive tearing, current settings:

Vsync off ingame
Vsync on in D3DOverrider
Triple Buffering on in D3DOverrider

Any ideas? :/

LiK

Massive tearing, current settings:

Vsync off ingame
Vsync on in D3DOverrider
Triple Buffering on in D3DOverrider

Any ideas? :/

i turn on vsync ingame and see ZERO tearing. why did you turn it off ingame? works fine.

Jtrizzy

no one uses the adaptive v sync from inspector? I like it in most games, stuttering drives me crazy though. haven't used Nvidia released the adaptive. The camera shake is so terrible, I thought it was some kind of uber stuttering bug.

mxgt

Banned
Don't know if it's been mentioned but if you're using SLI and want more performance - use bits 0x084010F5 instead of the current ones

Made my GPU usage go up and I had a huge performance increase.

Before I was at 1440p with max settings and with high AA I was getting 40-50fps, with this new SLI bit I get 80-100FPS with the same settings.

Literally doubled my performance.

Sethos

Banned
If you're using SLI and want more performance - use bits 0x84010F5 instead of the current ones

Made my GPU usage go up and I had a huge performance increase.

Before I was at 1440p with max settings and with high AA I was getting 40-50fps, with this new SLI bit I get 80-100FPS with the same settings.

Literally doubled my performance.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Smash88

Banned
I hope they optimize the game.

Because driving really fast causes my frames to dip to 25 fps. It's really annoying.

Otherwise the overall performance of the game is great.

Sethos

Banned
Everything maxed

Old bit ( 0x0C4010F5 )

Average: 41 FPS
Maximum: 62 FPS
Minimum: 20.6 FPS

New bit ( 0x84010F5 )

Average: 44.1 FPS
Maximum: 67.7 FPS
Minimum: 23.4 FPS

Nothing major but a healthy little boost. My GPUs however seem to be working 3 times as hard, fans went into full jet engine mode.

Could I max it at 1080p?

Core i7 2600k
8 GB 1866 ram
gtx 690

Not if you want everything maxed-maxed at 60FPS. ( AA Extreme is a massive hog )

Top Bottom