• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadotsu

Banned
From an advertising point of view a 09.09.09 release would make the most sense. But since it's Sony we're talking about they will release it after Black Friday in the US.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
DenogginizerOS said:
2) a more structured online system that either gets closer to Live or perhaps similar to Steam.

What do they want that can steam do that you cant do on PSN (that is also relevant for a console)?

Gomu Gomu

DenogginizerOS said:
I know 2 people who want to buy a PS3 right now. One is from Germany and one is from the States. Both have said that the current price is way too high and that they need to see 2 things happen before they buy a PS3:

1) a significant price drop and
2) a more structured online system that either gets closer to Live or perhaps similar to Steam.

I don't know about the latter, but I am pretty sure this price cut will make things a lot more tempting for them. I just hope that Sony has realized that price, more than anything, has been deterring people from investing in a PS3, and they don't cock up the Slim's launch with a $399.99 price point.

Problem is, when confronted with the price issue, Sony always refer back to the "PS3 has the best technology and is a superior piece of hardware" argument. Now I'm not saying that's wrong. But consumers don't give a fuck how advanced tech the system is (especially when talking about a video game system). The first thing they see is the price. And I think these people that you know are a good example of what's wrong with sony's marketing.

It's simple. PS3 slim with a low price tag, a proper way of telling penitential costumers about their great old and upcoming exclusive game library and their PSN properties, will make it sell like turkeys on thanks giving.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bojanglez said:
What do they want that can steam do that you cant do on PSN (that is also relevant for a console)?

Full retail game downloads, preloading, cloud saved games? What else?

kadotsu said:
From an advertising point of view a 09.09.09 release would make the most sense. But since it's Sony we're talking about they will release it after Black Friday in the US.

If they could score some Beatles Rock Band bundle... Maybe I'm dreaming but they do have the PSP RB:U bundle coming as well.

cakefoo

onken said:
I probably have 10 saves for Oblivion each clocking in around 5MB. That means they'd need 50MB of online space for ONE game for EVERY person, not going to happen.
The tie ratio is something like 7 IIRC. 7 games = 350MB of space per user, and that's in a worst case scenario in which all your gamesaves are as big as Oblivion.

Although... uploading 5MB every time you save in Oblivion (I abuse it for pocketpicking and lockping) is going to be a lot to upload if you only can upload 100KBytes (800Kbits) per second.

Or maybe they'll be able to use compression techniques to check multiple saves for duplicate data?

Wollan

clashfan said:
This sounds like someone who knows nothing about steam.
Pre-loading is in my view the greatest ('exclusive') feature to Steam and I think all the other services should start to offer this. Granted, only a minority of the games releasing on the console DL Stores are bigger 'disc-sized' games but they should think about getting into this sooner than later.

Machado

Gomu Gomu said:
It's simple. PS3 slim with a low price tag, a proper way of telling penitential costumers about their great old and upcoming exclusive game library and their PSN properties, will make it sell like turkeys on thanks giving.

what if you could find a lot of the games that this console has but on a cheaper console?

don't get me wrong, I think ps3 has more on-the-fence buyers that wii or 360, but even at 299 dollars you could save even $100 and that's a big deal for a lot of buyers.

I really believe MS will advertise this $199 360 to no end and will sell a lot on q4

don't get me wrong ps3 at a lower price will sell huge quantities but "$199 with two games" WILL sell like turkeys on thanks giving

I want a CHEAP (as in $299 with 2 games of my choice) slim ps3 so bad, I hope they do very well on q4

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
clashfan said:
This sounds like someone who knows nothing about steam. :lol

Sounds like someone can't think of anything relevant to respond with so they are acting smug. It was a legitimate question, specific to the person whose friends said they held this view.

I find it hard to believe that people that are too stingy to buy a PS3 now are concerned that they wont be able to buy full retail games at a fixed price from the platform holder.

cakefoo said:
The tie ratio is something like 7 IIRC. 7 games = 350MB of space per user, and that's in a worst case scenario in which all your gamesaves are as big as Oblivion.

Although... uploading 5MB every time you save in Oblivion (I abuse it for pocketpicking and lockping) is going to be a lot to upload if you only can upload 100KBytes (800Kbits) per second.

Or maybe they'll be able to use compression techniques to check multiple saves for duplicate data?
Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to upload my save every time it autosaves (every time you open a door, no thanks :/). I think it would be more like the trophies, where they are locally stored until you sync them with the server.

jsnepo

Bojanglez said:
Sounds like someone can't think of anything relevant to respond with so they are acting smug. It was a legitimate question, specific to the person whose friends said they held this view.

I find it hard to believe that people that are too stingy to buy a PS3 now are concerned that they wont be able to buy full retail games at a fixed price from the platform holder.

Get over it. They will not buy a PS3.

percephone

Neo Member
onken said:
I probably have 10 saves for Oblivion each clocking in around 5MB. That means they'd need 50MB of online space for ONE game for EVERY person, not going to happen.

If it was way before this new announcement then it's not "just recently" then, is it?

I don't see why not. Once it is server side, you can compress and store it.

For instance, Google mail gives each user 7G of space for their mail and data

I can already hear the air coming out of the balloon if Sony debuts the Slim at $399.

"Introducing PS3 Slim!" Yeaaaah!

"$399!" pffffffffft.

Whatever miracle they have to pull off, the Slim needs to be $299. Otherwise this relaunch will be very disappointing. Introducing the Slim at $399 then dropping the price by $100 two months later seems very odd to me.

The-Warning said:
I can already hear the air coming out of the balloon if Sony debuts the Slim at $399.

"$399!" pffffffffft.

Whatever miracle they have to pull off, the Slim needs to be $299. Otherwise this relaunch will be very disappointing. Introducing the Slim at $399 then dropping the price by $100 two months later seems very odd to me.

The only people that think the slim will be $399 are the ones that for some reason expect the slim to co-exist with the fat units. As far as Sony is concerned, when the slim launches, that is the PS3. Retailers and wholesalers can do whatever they want with the old units.

Machado

The-Warning said:

"$399!" pffffffffft.

there WILL be an official price drop, just not on the slim

nib95

Banned
Machado said:
there WILL be an official price drop, just not on the slim

That's what I'm thinking. When is something smaller and more compact cheaper on release when compared to it's bigger bloated brother or sister? Unless of course it actually replaces the older model altogether, which it seems could also be the case.

nib95 said:
That's what I'm thinking. When is something smaller and more compact cheaper on release when compared to it's bigger bloated brother or sister?
When there are no bigger bloated brothers or sisters left?

Edit: your ninja stealth-edit beats my post. +1 for you. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I want to know what it will be in Canadian - I told some friends who were about to buy Ps3's to wait until late August for some news, that maybe there would be a price drop - but maybe they're only dropping the European price because the Europeans are already getting screwed on the exchange rate.

Donos

The-Warning said:

"$399!" pffffffffft.

but IF they introduce the slim at 399$, it would only go with the fat 80 gb at 299$ and if you "just" want a cheap ps3 than you could buy one at 299$. Like most ppl already mentioned,i think that sony would wait till the 299$ 80gb fat ps3's are depleted and then lower the slim as only available sku to 299$. Everything else would really be dumb by sony...who knows... it's still sony but i think they learned their lesson with "599$" and the "more value" shit.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The only people that think the slim will be $399 are the ones that for some reason expect the slim to co-exist with the fat units. As far as Sony is concerned, when the slim launches, that is the PS3. Retailers and wholesalers can do whatever they want with the old units.

And even if there are some fats left here and there, I'm sure they'll sell off eventually. Even if they're $299, the same price as the slim. I'm sure there will be customers who will prefer the fat because it looks nicer or because it's the last of it's kind or some weird reason like that. Because the slim will have what just a bigger hard drive? Now if it also has BC then that's a different story...

jsnepo

We have two active threads about the slim. Can we all just post here before the official announcement from Sony?

edit: Nevermind. The other thread is about the price. Still, can we just post here? Both threads are related to each other anyway.

dont know if it is old but supposedly a french retailer confirmed the PS3 Slim hitting September at $300 EURO heres the link of the video:

http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/ps3-slim-r-eacute-v-eacute-lations-exclusives.html
http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/french-retailer-ps3-slim-will-launch-at-%E2%82%AC299-$1317359.htm

la PS3 Slim est une réalité, elle va bientôt sortir. Par contre, il y a un flou autour de la date de sortie. Selon les informations que nous avons obtenues, il s’agirait du mois de septembre, mais la date arrêtée n’est pas encore communiquée. Concernant le prix de la console, nous avons des indicateurs qui nous annoncent la console à 299.99€, soit une baisse de 100€ par rapport au modèle actuel.

In other words the PS3 Slim is a reality, and by the information they have obtain it will begin selling the new console in September at 299.99€ and they dont have any other information about the specific specifications of the new model.

Donos said:
but IF they introduce the slim at 399$, it would only go with the fat 80 gb at 299$ and if you "just" want a cheap ps3 than you could buy one at 299$. Like most ppl already mentioned,i think that sony would wait till the 299$ 80gb fat ps3's are depleted and then lower the slim as only available sku to 299$. Everything else would really be dumb by sony...who knows... it's still sony but i think they learned their lesson with "599$" and the "more value" shit.

This is reasonable, but the early adopters are going to get screwed if the price drops a short time later and it will be yet more bad press for Sony. Similar to what happened with the iPhone although that was a $200 price drop.

Donos

The-Warning said:
This is reasonable, but the early adopters are going to get screwed if the price drops a short time later and it will be yet more bad press for Sony. Similar to what happened with the iPhone although that was a $200 price drop.

i understand this. if i buy a slim and one/two month later it gets a 100$/€ price drop i would be pissed but at this stage i can not imagine that sony would release the slim at 299$ while the "fat" ps3 is also 299$. Maybe it would work if they bundle all remaining fats with one or two games.
Let's see. I'm just happy that something is happening and sony gets more consoles out there. More pressure for MS and therefore more competition for all.
nintendo is still laughing...
I also think that MS has something to take some steam of the PS3 Slim/price drop.

sorry 4 my bad english

Egmont

Neo Member
Relyt said:
Very interesting interview from a french reseller.
Main facts : 299.99€ - Probably the same hardware as the PS3 fat (ie 80 Gb and probably no backward compatibility). No price drop of the PS3 Fat. Scheduled for september.
Google trad article :
http://translate.google.com/transla...s-exclusives.html&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting. Especially the parts about the Slim being a sort of limited edition, and what he says about how much people want BC. And lol @ Sony lowering the price on the fats but not refunding retailers at all, so that all retailers sell 80GBs at a loss of 100E if they want to sell them at the lower price. :lol

Still, though, I'm absolutely astounded that we haven't heard anything at all about NA release date or price. What's going on? We've heard so much about Europe.

Egmont said:
Still, though, I'm absolutely astounded that we haven't heard anything at all about NA release date or price. What's going on? We've heard so much about Europe.

PS3 Slim exclusive to europe confirmed? :lol

Egmont said:
Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting. Especially the parts about the Slim being a sort of limited edition, and what he says about how much people want BC. And lol @ Sony lowering the price on the fats but not refunding retailers at all, so that all retailers sell 80GBs at a loss of 100E if they want to sell them at the lower price. :lol
This part's good too:

JVN: And personally, as a professional, what do you think of this offer? Does this will greatly boost the sales of PS3? Is there currently a demand for the PS3, but by a public that is hampered by its price?
A: The PS3 now is the console that makes you dream.
:lol

PS3 Dream Synthesizer confirmed! :lol

Donos said:
i understand this. if i buy a slim and one/two month later it gets a 100$/€ price drop i would be pissed but at this stage i can not imagine that sony would release the slim at 299$ while the "fat" ps3 is also 299$. Maybe it would work if they bundle all remaining fats with one or two games.
Let's see. I'm just happy that something is happening and sony gets more consoles out there. More pressure for MS and therefore more competition for all.
nintendo is still laughing...
I also think that MS has something to take some steam of the PS3 Slim/price drop.

sorry 4 my bad english

..and it also makes for a more interesting forum ;) I'll also say that launching the Slim at $399 causes some market confusion. People are going to want the new and improved product, yet once again it's still overpriced. Not everyone is going to expect, like us on the forum, that it will drop to $299 shortly, so they'll just wait. Or maybe they think it's going to stay at $399. Then they'll buy fat. Then the Slim drops to $299 and they're pissed they got a fat.

It's makes the relaunch very messy. Instead: Slim. $299. Bam. Has more impact.

Anyway it's kind of a moot point because there seems to be increasing evidence dripping out that the Slim is going to be $299.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bojanglez said:

They were speaking more to communication with mics, clubs/clans, a better user interface, custom avatars; etc. They both want more than what PSN is offering, plain and simple. Not saying they are right; it is just what they want.

onken said:
If it was way before this new announcement then it's not "just recently" then, is it?
It was said in May, that's recent for me, I can't speak for what's recent for you.

...and semantics don't change the facts. When the commenters at the start of this thread were saying that Sony were losing money on every PS3 sold, they were right... at least if Sony were to be believed at the time (and that stood right up until last week when they stated the 70% reduction figure).

spwolf said:
For a short time european exclusive, easier for them to ship without leaking, exchange rate not hitting them so hard, even at 300 it would still be the most expensive worldwide, and sony probably think they can't sell a ps3 in usa unless they sell it with a free bj and subscription to xbox live.

mr_nothin

Banned
Well if they drop the price of the 80gb's and have the Slim at a higher price then at the end of the PS3 Slim commercial...they need this:

PS3 Slim @ $399

also...80Gb PS3's now $299.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If that rumour about it being presented as a 'limited edition' are true, then it might support the idea of it being 399 (initially).

Push it as a new limited edition, then in a couple of months say "due to popular demand, we're now making this available generally for 299" or something.

gofreak said:
If that rumour about it being presented as a 'limited edition' are true, then it might support the idea of it being 399 (initially).

Push it as a new limited edition, then in a couple of months say "due to popular demand, we're now making this available generally for 299" or something.
Hmm... I could see the Playstation 3 Slim being $399 due to it having a huge hard drive, like 250GB or something like that. Then, they could release another version of the Slim later on with 120GB, and sell that for $299.

cakefoo

gofreak said:

They've done the whole "limited edition" thing before- the MGS4 80GB, the Uncharted 160GB, etc etc. Any time they bundle a game, they call it limited. So if they're calling the initial Slim a LE, my guess is the pack-in is what makes it a limited time offer.

dolemite

gofreak said:

Since when did "popular demand" cause price drops? That's like Nintendo making a price drop last Christmas on Wii.

spwolf

gofreak said:

except that they dont have phats sitting around in numbers... and Sony will not introduce new PS3 at same price, thats just crazy fuck thinking.

ALL NEW PS3, $399!

ALL NEW PS3, $299!

whats going to bring in the customers?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dolemite said:
Since when did "popular demand" cause price drops? That's like Nintendo making a price drop last Christmas on Wii.

They constrain supply enough to create an appearance of high demand on it at 399. Shiny, new, limited, hard to get. It wouldn't be the first time a company did that, to garner attention and hype.

Then announce unconstrained supply @ 299 in time for xmas, once all the fats are gone :p Crowd goes wild.

I dunno...just thinking how being presented as 'limited' might fit here! If that rumour is true..

They could do the 'short supply' trick at 299 from the start too, but also trying to factor in remaining 80GB supply when I think of scenarios.

Gomu Gomu

Machado said:
what if you could find a lot of the games that this console has but on a cheaper console?

don't get me wrong, I think ps3 has more on-the-fence buyers that wii or 360, but even at 299 dollars you could save even $100 and that's a big deal for a lot of buyers.

I really believe MS will advertise this $199 360 to no end and will sell a lot on q4

don't get me wrong ps3 at a lower price will sell huge quantities but "$199 with two games" WILL sell like turkeys on thanks giving

I want a CHEAP (as in $299 with 2 games of my choice) slim ps3 so bad, I hope they do very well on q4

This is why I said exclusive games. I think at this point the PS3 can stand out to the costumer with the number of it's exclusive titles (old + new +upcoming).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom