• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

spwolf said:
except that they dont have phats sitting around in numbers... and Sony will not introduce new PS3 at same price, thats just crazy fuck thinking.

ALL NEW PS3, $399!

ALL NEW PS3, $299!

whats going to bring in the customers?

As Sony have repeatedly said, their top concern right now is making a profit. I expect Slim to release for current RRP for this reason

Carl said:
As Sony have repeatedly said, their top concern right now is making a profit. I expect Slim to release for current RRP for this reason

If they were so concerned with profit over sales, they would have launched the 80gb/160gb SKU's at $499/$599. And that's ignoring the fact that more sales will open up more avenues for revenue, like software and accessories. Their bean counters may have calculated that the increased software and accessory sales would more than offset any loss on the hardware, so perhaps selling at $299 would lead to more profit.

And nobody outside of Sony really knows the cost of each ps3 slim. Perhaps $299 is doable now.

spwolf

Carl said:

actually no, what Sony has said is that they will sell shit load of PS3's and make loss.

I love when people pull things out of their ass.

Some honestly believe that Sony will continue producing expensive phats and sell it at big loss while they will produce smaller quantities of Slim, and sell it at higher price. Makes no sense and it wont happen.

Carl said:

Sony said they'll sell (to consumers) 13 million PS3s, that's not happening @ $400

vg260

Hm, any chance the slim will have any hardware upgrades? The revised PS2s (before the slims) had an ir port and progressive DVD support added.

Any chance of them adding a 1080p internal upscaler or the ability to output both optical and HDMI audio out at the same time?

offshore

If the slim releases at $399, Sony will just start the bad PR cycle all over again....because with Oneda's recent comments, there shouldn't be any real reason why it isn't profitable at $299...and the media will tear Sony apart again if the slim is priced at $399.

As said, 13 million PS3's at $400 ain't ever happening...doesn't matter what the games are.

Egmont

Neo Member
spwolf said:
actually no, what Sony has said is that they will sell shit load of PS3's and make loss.

I love when people pull things out of their ass.

Some honestly believe that Sony will continue producing expensive phats and sell it at big loss while they will produce smaller quantities of Slim, and sell it at higher price. Makes no sense and it wont happen.

I agr--

spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're doing something very wrong.
(Today, 11:57 AM)
Reply | Quote

...;_;

one thing i love about the price / sales speculation on gaf... is that so many people are so sure of their theories without applying either basic common sense, or an understanding of the organisation they are talking about.

Sony would be extremely naive if they truly think 13 million shipped is attainable at the current price, slim or not. Also we've been told since early summer that the phats are supply restrained, some of you guys really think that they have millions sitting around to be sold at $299 so they slim can come in at $399 and sit on shelves? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Honestly, I think there is a lot of wishful thinking coming from console warriors and couch analyst who just want to be right about sony missing its projections

... my man.

NinjaFusion said:
one thing i love about the price / sales speculation on gaf... is that so many people are so sure of their theories without applying either basic common sense, or an understanding of the organisation they are talking about.

True.

But the lack of common sense is what makes GAF awesome.

Gomu Gomu

CookieChip said:
True.

But the lack of common sense is what makes GAF awesome.
NinjaFusion said:

Oh fuck off juniors :lol . Instead of trying to sound cool and the voice of reason, why don't you just share what you think about the matter, or just stfu.

Facism

Gomu Gomu said:
Oh fuck off juniors :lol . Instead of trying to sound cool and the voice of reason, why don't you just share what you think about the matter, or just stfu.

ok mate don't throw your rattle out of your pram.

womfalcs3

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:

How does their junior status make their opinion any less valid?

I actually agree with them. So much time is being spent here predicting pricing strategy, and it's all pointless in the end. Sony's economists and engineers will have figured out a good path to take in terms of price, and that's the final word. No need to sit here and argue who's right and who's wrong when everybody could be wrong.

Machado

Gomu Gomu said:

so just because they're juniors their oppinions are not valid???

backseat mode must be exciting!!!!!11!!111

it is cool to be intelligent, isn't it?

offshore said:
I thought Sony were now tracking numbers sold to actual customers and not retailers.
No, they switched their system from shipped to warehouse (production shipments) to sold to retailers (sold). In doing so they brought themselves into line with how Nintendo and MS record their sales.

womfalcs3 said:
How does their junior status make their opinion any less valid?

I actually agree with them. So much time is being spent here predicting pricing strategy, and it's all pointless in the end. Sony's economists and engineers will have figured out a good path to take in terms of price, and that's the final word. No need to sit here and argue who's right and who's wrong when everybody could be wrong.

That's the main problem. Sony's economists and engineers, screw every chance to be predicted. 2 recent scenarios: PS3 599USD and Go 249USD.

Besides, it's pretty pointless argue about something 99% confirmed (299€) :lol

MotherFan

CookieChip said:
That's the main problem. Sony's economists and engineers, screw every chance to be predicted. 2 recent scenarios: PS3 599USD and Go 249USD.

I think alot of the 599 USD crowd has be reassigned and delt with by Stringer (and when I say this it is not just the people who decided the price, but the whole production model of the ps3 that got them into the mess they are in. Giant screw up by many people) but with the PSPGo price I don't know.

jkanownik

CookieChip said:

The PSPGo price wasn't really unpredictable if you took into account the fact that retailers need to make a profit off of hardware if they're selling less software. It's actually a perfect example of how easy it is to miss a criticle piece of information when doing armchair analysis.

Machado

jkanownik said:
The PSPGo price wasn't really unpredictable if you took into account the fact that retailers need to make a profit off of hardware if they're selling less software. It's actually a perfect example of how easy it is to miss a criticle piece of information when doing armchair analysis.

less software or no software???

If they take out UMD drive that same amount of money should go to retailers so pspgo ccould've been the same price

Machado said:
less software or no software???

If they take out UMD drive that same amount of money should go to retailers so pspgo ccould've been the same price

How much does the UMD drive cost Sony? And how much does the 16GB internal memory?

max-pain

Pai Pai Master said:
How much does the UMD drive cost Sony? And how much does the 16GB internal memory?

The UMD drive is largely a DVD-ROM (same speed, same laser wavelength, etc). It's basically a 60 mm diameter DVD in a caddy with AES encryption.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
dolemite said:
Can someone who already ordered the Slim confirm that WiFi is still included? I'm concerned Sony could pull this feature off the console.
It hasn't even been officially announced yet......

cakefoo

mockup_matte_2x-30.jpg

• Adjusted the direction of the light on the body so that it highlights the swoosh
  • made the slotloader a little fatter
  • gave the slotloader panel a reflective shine
  • added a small highlights to the PS3 logo
  • lightened up the control panel a little
  • opened up the image horizontally
  • tweaked position of SONY logo
  • status lights are on :p

Previous version:

mockup-24.jpg

Elios83

Well guys, the official announcement is finally coming.
Can't wait to see the official pics and comparison with the old fat model, I'm also looking forward to see the 'inside' of the new model.
The old 80GB stock is basically non existent at this point, it's almost made of old bundles leftovers so retailers here are starting to clear it at 299€ even with a free game in.
But it's all about the Slim in early September but probably it will be availlable in the last week of August just like happened with the 80GB last year).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Elios83 said:
Can't wait to see the official pics and comparison with the old fat model, I'm also looking forward to see the 'inside' of the new model.
The old 80GB stock is basically non existent at this point, it's almost made of old bundles leftovers so retailers here are starting to clear it at 299€ even with a free game in.
But it's all about the Slim in early September but probably it will be availlable in the last week of August just like happened with the 80GB last year).

Heard anything about the price of the Slim?

That is awesome!! Great work! This will be #2 for me, 60gb gets really loud at times and it's going to be nice not to have to carry it from room to room anymore.

spwolf

Elios83 said:

you didnt get the memo - you are supposed to keep selling phat for next year and sell slim as expensive version... make it happen! :D

Squash

cakefoo said:
mockup_matte_2x-30.jpg

• Adjusted the direction of the light on the body so that it highlights the swoosh
  • made the slotloader a little fatter
  • gave the slotloader panel a reflective shine
  • added a small highlights to the PS3 logo
  • lightened up the control panel a little
  • opened up the image horizontally
  • tweaked position of SONY logo
  • status lights are on :p

Previous version:

mockup-24.jpg

Not trying to nitpick but he shadow on the top left corner of the P seems to be on the wrongside considering the light source.

noah111

Still Alive
Damn a lot happened in this thread while I was gone :lol

Really great mock-ups cakefoo, since the beginning. The tray area still doesn't look like that shiny black plastic though, but other than that it's spot on from what we know.. though have we ever seen a picture showing the on/off/disc LED indicators yet? From what I remember there's never been a shot of them, would be odd if they weren't on there though.

So I guess we can definitely expect this to show at GC instead of TGS? We always knew it would be coming in September
(thanks Sin lol)
, we were just unsure whether it would be released or announced in Sept.. From the looks of it it'll be released in late Aug/early Sept, then come TGS all the kiosks will be using PS3 slims. :D :D

Elios83

TTP said:
Heard anything about the price of the Slim?

Yes like I said in July my retail source confirmed the price it's 299€ and it's officially coming on September 2 (although unofficially it could be available in stores a week earlier).
Old stock has already been mostly cleared at the old price as it would cost too much money to Sony to sell huge amounts of 80GBs at 299€, so the strategy of keeping a different price for the two different models a few people were considering here has no sense at this point, there's simply not enough stock and too much money to lose to do it. Basically it's new model and price in a matter of weeks and that should be it :p

BeeDog

I haven't been keeping up so pardon my ignorance, but with the Slim coming, will the fat models be completely phased out immediately, or will the two co-exist for a while (in the sense that the fats will still be produced a while more)?

BeeDog said:
I haven't been keeping up so pardon my ignorance, but with the Slim coming, will the fat models be completely phased out immediately, or will the two co-exist for a while (in the sense that the fats will still be produced a while more)?

They'll only be available until the stock runs out. It would be illogical for Sony to keep mass producing a system that costs them so much to produce. The slim is more than likely cheaper for them to produce and they will make less loss/more profit off of those.

OnPoint

Squash said:
Not trying to nitpick but he shadow on the top left corner of the P seems to be on the wrongside considering the light source.

Now the people on Amazon will NEVER believe it lol

BeeDog

Galvanise_ said:
They'll only be available until the stock runs out. It would be illogical for Sony to keep mass producing a system that costs them so much to produce. The slim is more than likely cheaper for them to produce and they will make less loss/more profit off of those.

Alright, thanks. I was still under the assumption that the fat would be getting the price drop while the slim would be "premium priced" because of its novelty factor or whatever. Dunno why I thought that :p

Elios83

BeeDog said:

Sony hasn't been manufacturing the fat model for months, probably since April/May when the Slim production started.
They have just been getting rid of their warehouse stock while stockpiling the new model. At this point, at least here in Italy, PS3s are available only through leftovers of old bundles which are being heavily discounted (299€ with games included in a few cases), basically it looks like a dismissed product (and it actually is :p)
Slim is meant to completely replace the fat as soon as it's introduced with a new price.

Sirolf

Elios83 said:
Yes like I said in July my retail source confirmed the price it's 299€ and it's officially coming on September 2 (although unofficially it could be available in stores a week earlier).

Exactly the price i've preordered and the same date :D
You have very good sources Elios !
Now GT5 in december ;)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom