• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

____

NRiQ said:
I just really want to know why sony changed the font...they have been using 4 differents types of fonts in this cycle, what is wrong with their designers...

5nuet4.png

While I agree that so many different fonts are ugly and inconsistent, I think their reasoning behind it is that all the fonts really "represent" a different part of Playstation business for Sony so they almost "have" to be different. Each "PlayStation" entity has it's own corresponding font.

1) That [Only on]"PlayStation" font is now used for PS3, PS2 and PSP games, representing PlayStation as an entire brand, .

2) the font in "PLAYSTATION" here, represents their online network and you never see the font in #1 used when referencing the PSN. Everytime I see ANYTHING related to the PSN, when it's spelled all the way out, it's PLAYSTATION(R)Network with playstation in all caps.

3) This "PLAYSTATION 3" spiderman font has been used since launch to identify with anything PS3 related (and has recently been shortened to just "PS3" with the same font), but it can't be used to represent the PSN, PS2 or PSP. It would just look funny.

4) The official re-branding of the PS3. I hate it tbh, but with a redesign of a system I guess it's sort of appropriate.

Again, I'd rather them stick with one font because it looks confusing and inconsistent, but I guess they're in too deep now :lol

don't take this post too seriously, it's just an amateur attempt at analyzing something I know nothing about :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're actually down to 3 fonts now :lol

They changed the PLAYSTATION Network to PlayStation Network for consistency a little while ago, and forthcoming boxarts use that instead. (Though it uses a different font here still).

504x_uncharted_2_release_date.jpg

I think they are trying to boil down to a more consistent approach :p

NRiQ

Banned
____ said:

Don't Worry, my opinion is that i think they use all these different fonts because they don't find an identity to the product, and one of the causes may be that the person who created the brand is no longer in charged of it.

The perception of the makert (at least me ^_^) is that is a strange situation to see 3 of those 4 logos in a single game box art.

I wonder if they'll keep the Spiderman font on the side of game covers now. I guess they'll keep that as the official "PLAYSTATION 3" typeface, but switch over to the new one for "PS3" only.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sentry said:
Nobody said it would be $300, at this point it seems like it will be $400 due to the fact that all evidence is suggesting a 299€ release.

Not sure if they would have a single SKU out there, at 120GB for $400... perhaps multiple slim SKUs, because it seems highly unlikely they'll continue manufacturing 80GB/160GB phat SKUs.

It's very unlike Sony to have a single model.

lol...
Only until this generation did they ever really do multiple SKUs that weren't redesigns or game/hardware bundles.

____

gofreak said:

They changed the PLAYSTATION Network to PlayStation Network for consistency a little while ago, and forthcoming boxarts use that instead. (Though it uses a different font here still).

:lol Holy shit, I never noticed that.

Is Uncharted 2 the first boxart to feature that?

NRiQ said:
Don't Worry, my opinion is that i think they use all these different fonts because they don't find an identity to the product, and the person who created the brand is no longer in charged of it.

The perception of the makert (at least me ^_^) is that is a strange situation to see 3 of those 4 logos in a single game box art.

No, I agree 100% that it looks very strange to have that many fonts competing to identify "playstation" on a single box. And now with this new font GoFreak posted, it just gets even funnier :lol

noah111

Still Alive
Kagari said:
lol...
Only until this generation did they ever really do multiple SKUs that weren't redesigns or game/hardware bundles.
Of course, I was only referring to this generation of their consoles. They seem to stand by giving users options in terms of HDD size, which IMO is pretty useless since the user can quite easily swap them.. wonder of the slim will have an easier way of switching HDDs, if any way at all.

There was that shot with a seemingly large gap which a hard drive might be able to fit into, but having the harddrive directly below the Blu-Ray disc drive seems pretty stupid in terms of heat managment and whatnot.. unless they're using an SSD. :lol

____ said:
:lol Holy shit, I never noticed that.

Is Uncharted 2 the first boxart to feature that?
No, it goes back since around Killzone 2 actually, not sure which was the first game to use it though

panda21

gofreak said:

my word. fonts all over the place. they sould change PlayStation Network to the PlayStation font from the 'only on' bit.

i wonder what will happen to the spiderman font. they can't really change that to just 'PS3' in the slim font, but presumably in adverts they will start to use the slim style PS3. so they either have to keep spiderman font just for the box sides and writing out PlayStation 3, or have something else like the PS3 slim font or Only on PlayStation font for writing out PlayStation 3.

very complicated and very messy and stupid.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Vinterbird said:
Could very much be, but I wouldn't understand the need to blur it out of a video then. It's not like we don't know what the system looks like since people own it.

The documentary will likely be on the collectors edition bonus disc. Sony won't want Xboxes in the PS3 pack and Microsoft won't want PS3s in theirs. Blur both, job done.

reKon

Banned
Elios83 said:
Yes like I said in July my retail source confirmed the price it's 299€ and it's officially coming on September 2 (although unofficially it could be available in stores a week earlier).
Old stock has already been mostly cleared at the old price as it would cost too much money to Sony to sell huge amounts of 80GBs at 299€, so the strategy of keeping a different price for the two different models a few people were considering here has no sense at this point, there's simply not enough stock and too much money to lose to do it. Basically it's new model and price in a matter of weeks and that should be it :p

So does that mean that the US version will be $299?

agaru

I don't know how reliable this site is, but according to Google translation they've just mentioned a rumor about the slim to be available in 3 different colors: black, red and white.

http://www.game7.de/ps/1995-playstation-3/news/n0988k0555-playstation-slim-fuer-299-drei.php

Google Translate said:
PlayStation Slim for 299 € and in three colors

Loopholes exist again and we have by a Saturn and a Game Stop employees experience, the PlayStation slim at a price of 299 € on the market.

They want the Game Stop employees know that the PS3 slim in three different colors will be available. These are black, red and white. Saturn employees had only an order exist and did not know what color it is.

An appointment is, however nioch not clear the goods but can now be ordered to dealers.
Don't kill me, I'm only a messenger. Anyone who speaks German here may translate this properly.

jett

D-Member
NRiQ said:
I just really want to know why sony changed the font...they have been using 4 differents types of fonts in this cycle, what is wrong with their designers...

5nuet4.png

It's SCE's marketing department that's retarded, not the designers. And they've been so fucking retarded this generation.

Cowie

agaru said:
I don't know how reliable this site is, but according to Google translation they've just mentioned a rumor about the slim to be available in 3 different colors: black, red and white.

http://www.game7.de/ps/1995-playstation-3/news/n0988k0555-playstation-slim-fuer-299-drei.php

Don't kill me, I'm only a messenger. Anyone who speaks German here may translate this properly.

On the one hand, offering multiple colors would probably fit in nicely with the revitalized ps3 image approach we're expecting to see with the slim. 'It's smaller, cheaper, and comes in pretty colors!'

on the other hand, with all the various leaks and rumors we've seen, it's hard to believe that two different colors stayed under wraps as long as they did, with everything else basically out in the open.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There was another report about silver and black.

I think we're at the point where 'sources' are coming out and saying all sorts of things...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
There was another report about silver and black.

I think we're at the point where 'sources' are coming out and saying all sorts of things...

At this point tho, I can at least confirm the invisible one is available.

LQX

If the slim gets BC will anyone sell there shiny BC phat versions? Thinking of getting rid of my MGS version. $400 is tempting.

offshore

We don't get that "Only On PlayStation" and "PlayStation Network" tab junk in Europe thank God.

Hopefully the boxart will get refreshed with the new PS3 logo...the current boxart it is a total car crash compared to 360 boxes.

agaru

offshore said:
We don't get that "Only On PlayStation" and "PlayStation Network" tab junk in Europe thank God.

Hopefully the boxart will get refreshed with the new PS3 logo...the current boxart it is a total car crash compared to 360 boxes.
Yeah, but you get this instead:
ogi48y.jpg

Fan-made btw.

gofreak said:

SCE marketing just took another proverbial dump on everyone's chest :lol
504x_lbp_goty.jpg

androvsky

Cowie said:
On the one hand, offering multiple colors would probably fit in nicely with the revitalized ps3 image approach we're expecting to see with the slim. 'It's smaller, cheaper, and comes in pretty colors!'

on the other hand, with all the various leaks and rumors we've seen, it's hard to believe that two different colors stayed under wraps as long as they did, with everything else basically out in the open.

If there's multiple colors, I'd expect red and blue in the U.S. to go along with the colored DS3s coming out here.

offshore

agaru said:
Yeah, but you get this instead:
ogi48y.jpg

That's not as widespread as some suggest it is; I've got 5 SCEE published games and it's not on any of them.

Some "Only On PlayStation" logo is needed, but currently it just looks tacked on.

noah111

Still Alive
agaru said:

The fuck? Red is so random, especially when they've been selling silver DS3s for quite a while... they're starting to sell red and blue ones, but a red/blue PS3? ew.

Also, I don't get all the bitching about the fonts... the PSN "logo" text is simply a standard font, whereas the 'only on' PS font is a revised version of the old 'PlayStation'/'PlayStation' fonts. The "PLAYSTATION 3" spiderman font is the PS3s logo, nothing odd about that.. the 'PS3' font/logo is where it's odd since it obviously doesn't seem to co-exist well with the siperman style logo...

playstation2logo.jpg

w2lt3a.png

I could see it... especially because they're already branded onto the boxarts and whatnot... they'll have to do something about the "PS 3" logo on the binding of the cases, with the red background.

offshore

They should also stop putting the red, blue, yellow and turqoiuse PS logo on the box, and just put the black and white PS logo....the coloured one now looks totally out of date.

agaru

offshore said:
That's not as widespread as some suggest it is; I've got 5 SCEE published games and it's not on any of them.

Some "Only On PlayStation" logo is needed, but currently it just looks tacked on.
Yeah, but it still appears on the covers of every SCEE published game that features online multiplayer, which unfortunately means we'll see it on Uncharted 2 and GT5 covers. Unless they change this stupid policy.

Speaking of cases, why did Sony go for the clear binding instead of blue? Would have stood out more and make the blu ray connection more obvious.

KillJade

Banned
While I do like the overall appearance of a PS3 game box more than the 360 or Wii packaging, there's no doubt that it needs significant improvement. It's always bugged the hell out of me how "busy" the cases are getting, and I have NO idea why there is a complete disregard for symmetry in the upper left corner. The black lines should intersect Sony, jesus.

Machado

H_Prestige said:
Seriously Sony, you don't put the HD DVD color on a blu ray case.

those colors are for bringing the attention you know It would've been better in lime or green but it's still cool I like it

noah111

Still Alive
H_Prestige said:
Speaking of cases, why did Sony go for the clear binding instead of blue? Would have stood out more and make the blu ray connection more obvious.
Because the blue cases are for Blu-Ray movies, makes more sense especially considering the whole Blu-Ray battle was associated with film not gaming, blue cases for blu-ray..

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Even more confusing, why make Greatest Hits boxes red?! :lol
Due to the fact that the 'greatest hits' banner on the boxarts have always been red, it makes sense to me.

KillJade said:
While I do like the overall appearance of a PS3 game box more than the 360 or Wii packaging, there's no doubt that it needs significant improvement. It's always bugged the hell out of me how "busy" the cases are getting, and I have NO idea why there is a complete disregard for symmetry in the upper left corner. The black lines should intersect Sony, jesus.

I like the little red PS3 spot on the binding of the case. I agree that the case needs to be less busy and then add that red logo thing on the front of the case. I think the 360 green is too garish, yet the PS3 case is too bland and black and white. That simple little red PS3 logo thing on the front will be a little eye catcher.

noah111

Still Alive
ivedoneyourmom said:
Sentry: Except for when it was green, and on the side, like it was during the PlayStation era.
Yeah, that was only during the PlayStation 1 era of course, on PS2, PSP, & PS3 it's always been red and on the top. My point was just that the case itself being red instead of clear sort of makes logical sense due to it being the 'greatest hits' color for quite some time.

the "greatest hits" text on the PS1 cases were red though :D

offshore

That's what the EU used to get for Platinum...

1zgs288.jpg

Pretty good. How to improve it?

Obvious, by plastering it in yellow stickers....

30hu1w9.jpg

Who knows what goes on at SCEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom