• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
optimiss said:
I really dislike Sony's design aesthetics though the new vresion is an improvement.

I've always liked the future-retro chic look of the PS3 -- the new slim I'm liking more and more.

Looks like a classy Bang and Olufson or Bose system.

Egmont

Neo Member
Maybe they won't drop the price of the "Classic" PS3 (80 or 160), and instead just have the slim come out cheaper? They could position the latter as the poor man's PS3, and the older versions as still being "Premium"--by the chassis alone, unless there actually will be some lost functionality.

They'd have to be crazy to do it, but, if anyone would, it'd be Sony. They've been pretty damn reluctant to lower the price-tag on the fat ones.

I think it might actually move more PS3 Slims if they marketed it as "cheap," and they'd be able to not lose any more money on the fats.

Machado

Egmont said:
Maybe they won't drop the price of the "Classic" PS3 (80 or 160), and instead just have the slim come out cheaper? They could position the latter as the poor man's PS3, and the older versions as still being "Premium"--by the chassis alone, unless there actually will be some lost functionality.

They'd have to be crazy to do it, but, if anyone would, it'd be Sony. They've been pretty damn reluctant to lower the price-tag on the fat ones.

I think it might actually move more PS3 Slims if they marketed it as "cheap," and they'd be able to not lose any more money on the fats.

noone's goint to want to buy a bigger, uglier (imo) more expensive PS3 over a nicer and cheaper one

Thrakier said:
It could make it more silent TBH.
Bigger fans are generally quieter than smaller ones as they're able to run at a lower RPM... but we wont know what the score is with that until we see one in action vs the lower heat output of the smaller chips.

Oh, and a nitpick... it's either silent, or it's not. You can't get more silent.

jiggle

It's so strange that there were so many games being officially announced for the PSP before AND after PSP Go's reveal.

But it's been so been so quiet on the PSThree front. Really hope they and 3rd parties are cooking up some new games for it.

Thrakier

Psychotext said:
Bigger fans are generally quieter than smaller ones as they're able to run at a lower RPM... but we wont know what the score is with that until we see one in action vs the lower heat output of the smaller chips.

Oh, and a nitpick... it's either silent, or it's not. You can't get more silent.

Hm, strange. In german we have a comparative of silent. It makes sense, I mean the old PS3 already was very silent (like 25db) but the new one could be "even more" silent (like 19db). Know what I mean?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:
It's so strange that there were so many games being officially announced for the PSP before AND after PSP Go's reveal.

But it's been so been so quiet on the PSThree front.

You saw a marked up-shift in psp support around the psp go announcement because there was room for that up-shift: psp support had been drooping for some time.

PS3's software support hasn't waned so there isn't really an opportunity for such a marked improvement. Although that said, a lot of smaller japanese devs haven't taken to the system as they did the PS2, so maybe there's an opportunity there as the system gets cheaper, and perhaps in a post-FFXIII environment.. but still, there simply isn't the same deficit of support to correct there as there was with PSP.

Thrakier said:
Hm, strange. In german we have a comparative of silent. It makes sense, I mean the old PS3 already was very silent (like 25db) but the new one could be "even more" silent (like 19db). Know what I mean?
I can't really speak for Germany (I'm in the UK)... but silence is technically defined as the absence of noise, you can say something is quiet and can get quieter... but if it's silent it shouldn't be making any discernible noise at all.

It's a badly misused term though... with people putting the silent moniker on things that put out upwards of 30dbA (search on silent coolers / graphics cards / PCs and you'll see what I mean).

Massa

Psychotext said:

Aren't bigger fans more prone to be affected by dust? I know my PS3 is a lot louder now than when I bought it, and I know that's the case for a lot of people as well.

Massa said:
Aren't bigger fans more prone to be affected by dust? I know my PS3 is a lot louder now than when I bought it, and I know that's the case for a lot of people as well.

Mine isn't louder than two years ago, even though it tends to get louder in summer.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Massa said:

Mine is marginally louder, my TV silences my PS3. but if everything is off you can clearly hear the fans and disc spinning.

Massa said:
I couldn't really say, I've never really seen any investigations into that sort of thing.

Thrakier

Psychotext said:
I can't really speak for Germany (I'm in the UK)... but silence is technically defined as the absence of noise, you can say something is quiet and can get quieter... but if it's silent it shouldn't be making any discernible noise at all.

It's a badly misused term though... with people putting the silent moniker on things that put out upwards of 30dbA (search on silent coolers / graphics cards / PCs and you'll see what I mean).

Yeah, ok, you are right, I chose the wrong translation. I should have gone for quiet. Silence has the same meaning in german if translated correct.

Banned
If Sony comes out with a Ps3 Slim for $299 this Fall/Winter than I think there's a good chance they can catch 360.

If not, Ps3 will always be last place in sales.

Everything is lining up perfectly. The games are there now. The hype is there. Fall would be perfect timing. People are waiting on it. Don't drop the ball Sony.

848484 said:
If Sony comes out with a Ps3 Slim for $299 this Fall/Winter than I think there's a good chance they can catch 360.

Everything is lining up perfectly. The games are there now. The hype is there. Fall would be perfect timing. People are waiting on it. Don't drop the ball Sony.
A period is not a substitute for a comma.

Cruzader

Banned
848484 said:

No. A price drop will not magically put the PS3/sony in 2nd place. That ship sailed long time ago. Anyhow you must of been lurking here for a long time so i dont get why you think the slim will launch at $300.

expy

Banned
848484 said:

Will never happen. If they price the Slim lower than the FAT, it would leave the FATs stranded on shelves and warehouses. They'll clear out the FAT stock before they introduce the Slim. There will be about a $50-100 difference between the Slim and FAT at launch.

FAT: $249-$299
Slim: $349-$399 (bundle)

Shins

Banned
expy said:
If they price the Slim lower than the FAT, it would leave the FATs stranded on shelves and warehouses.
Yes. That would be much different from what's going on right now. It'd be disastrous!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
expy said:
Will never happen. If they price the Slim lower than the FAT, it would leave the FATs stranded on shelves and warehouses. They'll clear out the FAT stock before they introduce the Slim. There will be about a $50-100 difference between the Slim and FAT at launch.

The rumor from the other thread is that it's coming out on September 2nd for 299Euros, which would translate to $299 US with the way SCE does pricing.

JoJo13

Banned
expy said:

They are clearing out FAT stock right now.

This is no different than last year when the 40 GB was replaced by the 80 GB.

Loudninja

Kagari said:
The rumor from the other thread is that it's coming out on September 2nd for 299Euros, which would translate to $299 US with the way SCE does pricing.

To help a little

Elios83 said:
I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16759539&postcount=28

expy

Banned
JoJo13 said:
They are clearing out FAT stock right now.

This is no different than last year when the 40 GB was replaced by the 80 GB.

What will happen to the remaining FAT stock? Left to die on the shelves once the Slim launches? It wouldn't seem very plausible for the FAT to drop from $399 to <$299 (which is the Slim price according to that source).

expy said:
What will happen to the remaining FAT stock? Left to die on the shelves once the Slim launches? It wouldn't seem very plausible for the FAT to drop from $399 to <$299 (which is the Slim price according to that source).

There won't be any remaining fat stock. It's just like when the 80gb replaced the 40gb. Sony didn't have to drop the 40gb down to $299.

MGR

expy said:

Price for remaining fats won't be more than the slim. Will either be less (due to smaller HDD) or bundled with games to get rid of them.

DMPrince said:
Saw on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/dylancuthbert/status/2808136810 Playstation Business Briefing. Can't really say much out of that. what usually happens when they have one of these?

The last time they held a Playstation Business Briefing was in 06. They talked almost entirely about hardware there. Of course that was before the PS3 was out and after the PSP was released. So it made sense to focus on that in large part. I wouldn't get excited about it, but something could happen (GT5 please!).

tanod

when is my burrito
expy said:

Retail will clearance it out at whatever price they can get rid of them for.

I agree that they would probably just bundle some stuff with the Fat PS3's to get rid of them. Also if the Slim PS3 does turn out to be $299, then sales should start to skyrocket. If it stays any higher then that though, then Sony may as well just throw in the towel.

spwolf

mysteriousmage09 said:
I agree that they would probably just bundle some stuff with the Fat PS3's to get rid of them..

really? You think they will bundle some stuff with fat to clear them before slim hits?
Like maybe have one bundle with great all age game like LBP and great animated movie like WALL-E, and maybe one R rated bundle with KZ2 and MGS4?

NO WAY! Sony will never do that!

MGR said:
Price for remaining fats won't be more than the slim. Will either be less (due to smaller HDD) or bundled with games to get rid of them.

I think it would be really cool if Sony gave a game with them. The packages are already made so they can't change the packaging but make it so you get a fat and you get an old Sony game for free:

-Ratchet
-Uncharted
-Little Big Planet

Ratchet/Uncharted would help drive the sequel game sales.

spwolf said:
really? You think they will bundle some stuff with fat to clear them before slim hits?
Like maybe have one bundle with great all age game like LBP and great animated movie like WALL-E, and maybe one R rated bundle with KZ2 and MGS4?

Still a lot of fats left that are still in packaging of just a fat system and not bundled. Sony has been doing a good job on the bundles though as of late. LBP/Wall-E and KZ2/MGS4 are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

spwolf said:

:lol man juniors have it rough around here. wolf drops the hammer

I'm still unconvinced that a Slim SKU means an immediate lower price. I think they could have it be the same $400 and just give the FAT a $25 price drop to help it along until it's completely gone.

Loudninja

bmf said:
I'm still unconvinced that a Slim SKU means an immediate lower price. I think they could have it be the same $400 and just give the FAT a $25 price drop to help it along until it's completely gone.

You really think that's going to help anything?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
bmf said:
Why are you making it so easy for people to quote your tag?

reKon

Banned
The whole point of Sony's plan is to sell units (by means of a price cut on the fats THEN the slim later) and reduce costs as much as possible (that's where the Slim comes in) to go along with their rebranding.

Killthee said:
Why are you making it so easy for people to quote your tag?
So what's your proposition? I think that there's a lot of ways that Sony could go with this, but mostly see people convinced that the Slim means an immediate price drop.
reKon said:
The whole point of Sony's plan is to sell units (by means of a price cut on the fats THEN the slim later) and reduce costs as much as possible (that's where the Slim comes in) to go along with their rebranding.
That's a reasonable hypothesis.

jett

D-Member
They need to price ALL of the PS3s the same price, slim and fat. It'd be absolutely retarded if the slim costs $400. Just phase out of the phatties.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
bmf said:
So what's your proposition? I think that there's a lot of ways that Sony could go with this, but mostly see people convinced that the Slim means an immediate price drop.
There are a lot of ways Sony can go about this, releasing the slim at $400 and dropping $25 bucks off the fat at the same time isn't one of them. They need to get rid of the remaining fats and dropping $25 to clear inventory after they've released a $400 slim sounds unrealistic and won't do much to clear the fats.

mr_nothin

Banned
I personally see a universal price drop.

Either $300 or $350 for both SKUs. The slim would be $299 on its own and the fat would be $299 + 2 games or 1 game and an extra controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom