• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shins

Banned
bmf said:
So what's your proposition? I think that there's a lot of ways that Sony could go with this, but mostly see people convinced that the Slim means an immediate price drop.
People think that when presented with multiple options, the best option is what will be chosen. They just don't understand Sony.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kagari said:
So, here's some interesting news:
Kaz Hirai will be keynoting TGS this year. It's called "New Strategy 2009" or something like that...
It will be two parts. The second part is a panel discussion with the presidents of Capcom, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, and SCEWW Studios.

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=14990&c_num=14
For the source. Sorry it's in Japanese. Translated a bit of it.
TGS is in Sept. right?
Shins said:
People think that when presented with multiple options, the best option is what will be chosen. They just don't understand Sony.
I'm completely expecting Sony to fuck this up somehow; I just don't think they'll fuck it up that badly ($25 drop).

Loudninja

Kagari said:
Kaz Hirai will be keynoting TGS this year. It's called "New Strategy 2009" or something like that...
It will be two parts. The second part is a panel discussion with the presidents of Capcom, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, and SCEWW Studios.

That should be interesting.

Kagari said:

Well he only goes to keynotes and conferences to show a new piece of Hardware correct? So hopefully it's the PS3 Slim :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Egmont said:
9/24?

But.. the Slim's gonna be out by then, right guys?

...right guys?
Was thinking the same thing.

Maybe it'll be for the japanese reveal that will give out dates and such.
Thats what i'm hoping for anyway.

Loudninja said:
It could be announced at Gamescon but wont come out until the end of September.
Or a month-staggered release for Japan after North America and Europe get it, then again this isn't the PSP go which is a whole other situation.

The slim will be out by then, at least in Europe.

And some of you guys are making this fat/slim transition way more complicated than it really is. The 80gb model is already limited in supply and Sony is getting rid of the remaining units RIGHT NOW with some impressive bundles. Ars mole says 80gb will be pretty much gone by September, right when 120gb slim hits. He also says Sony will lower the price around that time to coincided with Madden. So it's a pretty safe bet the slim comes in at $350, or more likely $299.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My theory is they'll announce it at GamesCom, release it in Europe and America first. Japan gets it last but they announce it with game bundles at TGS (FFXIII, GT5).

Kagari said:
My theory is they'll announce it at GamesCom, release it in Europe and America first. Japan gets it last but they announce it with game bundles at TGS (FFXIII, GT5).
This is what you wish will happen :p

Loudninja

Kagari said:

Has Japan gotten any HW last?

Grooski

Banned
Kagari said:

I reckon they'll announce price cut at Gamescom, show/mention nothing of the slim and then full reveal and launch at TGS.

Killthee

Shadowlink said:
Yea! I'm hoping your theory is correct :D
Same, but I'm trying to keep my hopes down after last years
(or was it 07?)
snoozefest conference.

WTFing

Banned
Originally Posted by Elios83:
I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)
So be it.
Elios said it, I believe.

Killthee said:
Same, but I'm trying to keep my hopes down after last years snoozefest conference.
Do what I do when I watch a Nintendo Conference, keep your hopes down. In the end, I saw Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and the others. So just do that and you should be all set :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Killthee said:
Same, but I'm trying to keep my hopes down after last years snoozefest conference.

Last year's TGS was boring largely because SCE didn't even have a keynote or conference... they really didn't have much of anything.

Turbo

Neo Member
Shadowlink said:
Same. It would be a smart move by Sony if they bundled these games and it will help the sale of consoles.

I would find it shocking if they didn't do it in the first place especially with Final fantasy XIII (Famitsu would definately eat it up and throw it to the masses... we are talking major hype).

I am not sure about GT5's popularity or even if its coming this year ( I though there would only be GT PSP?).

jiggle

new strategy for the 3 months that's left? XD

hopefully ppl don't expect too many new announcements or whatever.
that's not what the tgs keynotes are for, i believe?
we'll probably see all the new stuff in famitsu leaks prior to it

Killthee

Shadowlink said:
Do what I do when I watch a Nintendo Conference, keep your hopes down. In the end, I saw Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and the others. So just do that and you should be all set :D
That's what I said I was doing :)

And Nintendo's conference/Golden Sun: DS reveal was so awesome when all I was expecting was Cammie to bore me.

Loudninja said:
Sorry,I am saying that 25 bucks wont do a damn thing at all.
The idea would be to give a consumer *some* incentive to buy a fat. If both units were entirely equal except for the form factor, they would have a very hard time selling the FATs. A small price drop (or older pack-in or something) for those units that are otherwise slightly less desirable and have been discontinued is the idea.

H_Prestige said:
There won't be any remaining fat stock. It's just like when the 80gb replaced the 40gb. Sony didn't have to drop the 40gb down to $299.
pretty much this.

there will of course be a few systems in a walmart the middle of nowhere (and probably at Dell, they always seem to have lots of stock of old hardware, maybe they buy up old stock from other retailers at a discount?), but most places will be cleaned out.

Hypecube said:
Dude, The hype train left weeks ago.
Fixed?

Anyway people. Now we know that Kaz is having a speech @ TGS "New strategies for 2009" (or something like that), which is obviously related to price drop and/or slim model. So I think it's prudent to guess that the Slim is not actually coming out in August/September like some have said, but actually in Nov/Dec, with a price cut.

If that's what's gonna happen, imagine what a Bundle with GT5 at $299 would do? =O

Please Sony... do it!

noah111

Still Alive
Insane Metal said:
Fixed?

Anyway people. Now we know that Kaz is having a speech @ TGS "New strategies for 2009" (or something like that), which is obviously related to price drop and/or slim model. So I think it's prudent to guess that the Slim is not actually coming out in August/September like some have said, but actually in Nov/Dec, with a price cut.

If that's what's gonna happen, imagine what a Bundle with GT5 at $299 would do? =O

Please Sony... do it!
From the rumors it's leaning more towards a slim announcment at GC, tbh. Eeither way Septemer will be a big month, either the announcment of the slim (TGS) or the release of the slim after announced at GC, possibly late August as well.. This new strategies thing could just be a recap on their goals with the slim, PSPgo, PSN across all sony platforms etc..

Sentry said:
From the rumors it's leaning more towards a slim announcment at GC, tbh. Eeither way Septemer will be a big month, either the announcment of the slim (TGS) or the release of the slim after announced at GC, possibly late August as well.. This new strategies thing could just be a recap on their goals with the slim, PSPgo, PSN across all sony platforms etc..

I hope you right man because they need some big ass announcement to please the fans like myself :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sort of indirect musings here, but saw this on digitimes:

Sony PS3 components demand growing significantly

Taiwan OEMs recently have placed significant orders for key Sony PS3 components from IC distributors, with average monthly volume enough for making one million units of the games console in the third quarter, double the average in the second quarter, according to sources with IC distributors.

The sources estimated the growth momentum will remain strong through October thanks to the year-end holiday demand.

PS3's chipset is provided by Renesas Technology, and supply is falling short of the strong demand currently, the sources noted.

Sales of time division synchronizers used in PS3 have also increased, and shipments are expected to top four million units per month in the third quarter, added the sources.

I think it's also interesting to note that both Foxconn and Pegatron have recently reported big jumps in revenue or projected revenue, citing 'PS3 orders' among other things.. Digitimes had earlier reported those two as having won PS3 slim contracts.

@ gofreak

Interesting that they say:

"...supply is falling short of the strong demand"

I'm assuming this is not in relation to actual hardware sales, as they are far from stellar. Shipping 4 million units per month, that seems like an awful lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom