• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Captain Tuttle said:
I agree completely. If they haven't been willing to increase their loss on the fat, why is it assumed they'll take a loss (or break even) on a Slim? Are the manufacturing cost reduced that much?

because they said so in their FY2009 predictions? :D

Ettie

zoku88 said:
Just where a PS3 deserves to be

I would never feel safe stacking a PS3 on top of something else. The thing is darn heavy!

:lol :lol :lol

Assuming the manufacturing costs did go down, maybe they have some wiggle-room to eventually settle on a more attractive price point, and still lose less money/turn a profit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Violater said:
Pardon my ignorance but just how is the slim supposed to be cheaper?

It'll undoubtedly cost Sony less, but whether it'll be priced cheaper is a different question.

Less bits, cheaper bits, smaller machine, less weight, cheaper shipping etc.

Violater

gofreak said:
It'll undoubtedly cost Sony less, but whether it'll be priced cheaper is a different question.

Less bits, cheaper bits, smaller machine, less weight, cheaper shipping etc.

It all sounds like hopes and dreams to me until I see it not cost them more to make than they are selling it for. As for the people hoping for a price drop with Sony loosing so much money, I don't see it happening.

theBishop

Banned
Violater said:
Pardon my ignorance but just how is the slim supposed to be cheaper?

Sony (Toshiba?) has been reducing the size of components since day 1. Smaller components means higher yield on the production line, so the cost of individual chips goes down. Smaller chips means less power and heat, so you save money on the heatsink, power supply, and chassis. Those in particular are big costs on PS3.

If they had to squeeze a PS3 into a handheld, that would be expensive, but a slim unit is the result of gradual gains in production efficiency.

Plus, I don't know if you've been following it, but the cost of blu-ray has gone way down.

Woz

Violater said:
It all sounds like hopes and dreams to me until I see it not cost them more to make than they are selling it for. As for the people hoping for a price drop with Sony loosing so much money, I don't see it happening.

New to the industry?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Violater said:

You havent followed this too closely have you?

They moved to 45nm for the chips, their move from 90 to 65 let them slice about 100 bucks off the cost and price. Bluray drives dropped from 200 or more at launch to about 100 last fall and they said around 50 for this fall, which means more savings.

The company that makes the heatsinks has shown the generational evolution of the cooler in there and it went from 4 pounds and tons of pricy copper heatpipes to less than a pound and no copper heatpipes due to less heat in the smaller processors.

And reducing the weight and size means far cheaper shipping, which they said was a significant cost in the grand scheme.

So its not farfetched to put together a 299 machine that is leaner, lighter, and still breaks even or makes a small profit.

theBishop

Banned
AndyD said:

They moved to 45nm for the chips, their move from 90 to 65, let them slice about 100 bucks off the price. Bluray drives dropped from 200 to aboout 100 last fall and they said around 50 for this fall, which means another 50 dolalr savings.

And reducing the weight and size means far cheaper shipping, which they said was a significant cost in the grand scheme.

It's gotta be less than that. Consumer price is around $50 now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

I'd be surprised if the blu-ray drive costs them more than $15 for their volume.

Violater

Thanks for the replies guys, like I said "Pardon my ignorance" because I have not been following sales and cost figures. Nope just been playing games, but it has been kinda difficult to avoid the number of news articles and threads about the supposed slim.
So again thanks for being brought up to date somewhat, seems I've been living under a rock :lol

capra3992.gif
last guy goat cracks me up every time :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
AndyD said:

They moved to 45nm for the chips, their move from 90 to 65 let them slice about 100 bucks off the cost and price. Bluray drives dropped from 200 or more at launch to about 100 last fall and they said around 50 for this fall, which means more savings.

The company that makes the heatsinks has shown the generational evolution of the cooler in there and it went from 4 pounds and tons of pricy copper heatpipes to less than a pound and no copper heatpipes due to less heat in the smaller processors.

So its not farfetched to put together a 299 machine that is leaner, lighter, and still breaks even or makes a small profit.
Yep.

We've said as much earlier in this thread too. They could have potentially cut off tons of costs from the system.

Ettie

AndyD said:

Thank you for combating my cynicism.

Egmont

Neo Member
Here's something interesting I found.

http://www.youyouk.fr/1892/annonce-officielle-de-la-ps3-slim/

It's in French, but basically it's saying (with a surprising degree of certitude) that the official announcement of the PS3 Slim will be on August 18th, at 4 pm (18h) in the French time zone--that is, during Gamescom.

The rest of the article talks about the low numbers of the PS3 sales, and speculates a little, most notably that the price will probably be 299E. My French is imperfect, so if anyone reads it and finds something of further value, let us know.

It's nothing we weren't pretty sure of already, but it's interesting that they have the specific time and in general seem pretty sure of themselves.

Edit: Aha! I found their source, which also points to a price-drop:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/00036004-baisse-de-prix-de-la-ps3-ca-se-confirme.htm

Here's a rough translation of the parts in bold:

But this time, it seems to be confirmed by our contacts, certain wholesalers affirm that there will be a price-drop! And it gets better, because we can announce that there is a new version of the console that will come out!

The official anouncement of this new, less expensive version of the PS3 will be done during the press conference that the Japanese Giant will hold at Cologne on the occasion of gamescom on Tuesday, August 18th, at 18h French [4pm French time]!

A price drop may be preferable for their long term success in the sector, but given their continuing losses, Sony may be more focused on short term survival.

FrankT

bmf said:
A price drop may be preferable for their long term success in the sector, but given their continuing losses, Sony may be more focused on short term survival.

I'd be highly surprised if they hit the $299 this fall after the latest round of numbers. $350 perhaps, but if they go slim $299 I hope they reduced some serious costs out of their. With the bigger HDD I'm thinking they keep that PP and bundle the slim and $350 for the 80GB. It shouldn’t be too long now. Or pehaps $350 on the slim and let the current stock of 80GBs run out at $299. Still serious costs to be had to be certain. I see one of these two scenarios likely playing out.

spwolf

AndyD said:

and what juniors forget from Sonys current FY predictions:
1. Sony will lose more money than last year (and they still maintain this despite much better than expected Q1).
2. Sony will sell shitload of PS3's.

I know... putting those two together is hard work :D

Jtyettis said:
I'd be highly surprised if they hit the $299 this fall after the latest round of numbers. $350 perhaps, but if they go slim $299 I hope they reduced some serious costs out of their. With the bigger HDD I'm thinking they keep that PP and bundle the slim and $350 for the 80GB. It shouldn’t be too long now. Or pehaps $350 on the slim and let the current stock of 80GBs run out at $299. Still serious costs to be had to be certain. I see one of these two scenarios likely playing out.

If you think Sony can't sell a significantly cheaper to make slim ps3 at $299 or even $350, then they're not going to suddenly drop the 80gb to $299 either. There won't be a fireside sale on 80gb since the stock is already pretty much depleted. The 120gb ps3 is replacing that sku in the same way the 80gb replaced the 40gb.

Anyway, a nice price drop for Europe has already been 'confirmed', and given that Sony is now a lot more focused on getting hardware profitable or at least break even, it must mean the manufacturing cost of the slim allows for a cut.

Truespeed

alternade said:
Its cheap to make which is way they probably would like to pull a nice profit off of it. A $349 slim ps3 with or without a AAA game would sell like hotcakes. I just dont see a $300 ps3 til the Q2/Q3 2010. As a company Sony can't afford to not take every dime at every corner.

No one buys "Hotcakes". So, in a accidental kind of way, you're correct.

FrankT

H_Prestige said:
If you think Sony can't sell a significantly cheaper to make slim ps3 at $299 or even $350, then they're not going to suddenly drop the 80gb to $299 either. There won't be a fireside sale on 80gb since the stock is already pretty much depleted. The 120gb ps3 is replacing that sku in the same way the 80gb replaced the 40gb.

Anyway, a nice price drop for Europe has already been 'confirmed', and given that Sony is now a lot more focused on getting hardware profitable or at least break even, it must mean the manufacturing cost of the slim allows for a cut.

Pretty much depleted what are you talking about. There are 80s everywhere and I mean everywhere. If by confirmed you mean that site above I'm not sure by what means that is confirmed. They have done the fire sale before and I certainly wouldn't be surprised by another one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
Pretty much depleted what are you talking about. There are 80s everywhere and I mean everywhere. If by confirmed you mean that site above I'm not sure by what means that is confirmed. They have done the fire sale before and I certainly wouldn't be surprised by another one.

In Europe, store stock is very low. And from what's been said here, it sounds like the US shipments have slowed, so what's left is what's going to be there on the shelf until the slim launches. The massive bundling that's been going on doesn't hurt that theory either.

FrankT

Kagari said:
In Europe, store stock is very low. And from what's been said here, it sounds like the US shipments have slowed, so what's left is what's going to be there on the shelf until the slim launches. The massive bundling that's been going on doesn't hurt that theory either.

They may slowed US shipments, but all the bundles in my area that have been sitting around have certainly not been moving. There is still plenty of overhead here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
They may slowed US shipments, but all the bundles in my area that have been sitting around have certainly not been moving. There is still plenty of overhead here.

That's where the August price cut to $299/299Euro rumor comes in.

Jtyettis said:

No, someone else who apparently has solid contacts confirmed a few days ago. And the Ars mole also commented on the low supply of the 80gb and how it would be pretty rare to find by September, right when the slim comes. Incidentally he also confirmed a price drop on the ps3 at that point, along with sku reshuffling for the 360.

FrankT

H_Prestige said:
No, someone else who apparently has solid contacts confirmed a few days ago. And the Ars mole also commented on the low supply of the 80gb and how it would be pretty rare to find by September, right when the slim comes. Incidentally he also confirmed a price drop on the ps3 at that point, along with sku reshuffling for the 360.

Yea I saw Ars mentioning how swift they were moving and how they were depleting, but that comment is as still confusing then as it is today. I brought it up at that time as well when they said it.

-x.Red.x-

Hey guys I think I just found a small tibit by Sony

okay on the "slim pics"
3714887042_6e90665a91.jpg

the PS logo is silver right?

Now i was wandering around Home and noticed this
DSC02475.jpg

sry for bad quality piv but the PS logo was colored and then silver like the slim one

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom