• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It looks super nondescript, which is fine in my setup, because I kind of want things hidden, but I do miss the days of "styled" consoles, which reached their Zenith with the Panasonic Q Gamecube. that thing was the epitome of badical.

Panasonic-Gamecube.jpg

Crisis

Banned
If they announce it at GamesCon then there's almost no way it could be 299 Euro at launch if it's coming out in September. That's a few weeks of sales absolutely gone because no one would want to buy the big PS3 for 399 Euro knowing full well that an all new slim version is coming out weeks later for 299 Euro. It seems like a price cut is coming for the big one first and then they will roll out the slim for 399 plus a game or two.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
OuterWorldVoice said:
It looks super nondescript, which is fine in my setup, because I kind of want things hidden, but I do miss the days of "styled" consoles, which reached their Zenith with the Panasonic Q Gamecube. that thing was the epitome of badical.

Panasonic-Gamecube.jpg

See, I miss even more nondescript consoles. The PSX is still the best console design IMO.

psx-5100.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JeFfRey said:
See, I miss even more nondescript consoles. The PSX is still the best console design IMO.

psx-5100.jpg

I would like component "shells" where you could slide your console neatly into say a Receiver-sized box (with cooling, naturally) and maybe build in USB hubs, better wireless, etc into the package. Niche, but it would help with my setup.

Crisis

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I would like component "shells" where you could slide your console neatly into say a Receiver-sized box (with cooling, naturally) and maybe build in USB hubs, better wireless, etc into the package. Niche, but it would help with my setup.

It sounds to me like you want one of those shuttle PCs.

VNZ

OuterWorldVoice said:

Panasonic-Gamecube.jpg
Oh man, I'll never get why so many people love the Q. It looks like a crappy chinese OEM mini-stereo. A vanilla Gamecube is decidedly more stylish (but granted, it could have used some less toyish plastic finish).

The PSX, on the other hand, had style. A bit large (and crappy) though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MassiveAttack said:
This has officially entered "worst kept industry secret" status.

TGS is going to be rather amazing.
Eh, won't be as cool now though. This is probably the biggest announcement

MGR

Deadly Monk said:
I carry my PS3 to my girlfriends house all the time. This will be a godsend.

So, you're going to buy a slim PS3 so you have a console that's not quite as heavy to carry to your girlfriends house? Why don't your just buy another PS3 and leave it at her house?

onken

Deadly Monk said:
I carry my PS3 to my girlfriends house all the time. This will be a godsend.

Same, I take mine around a lot and this is going to be great. That and the fact my fat has started randomly shutting down with a red flashing light whenever I play newish games.

MGR said:
So, you're going to buy a slim PS3 so you have a console that's not quite as heavy to carry to your girlfriends house? Why don't your just buy another PS3 and leave it at her house?

I'd say he's waiting for both a price cut and the slim redesign or that he would sell his current one. But it's a good question, I want to know now :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MassiveAttack said:
$299 PS3 Slim + Uncharted 2 Bundle in US/EU
$299 PS3 Slim + FFXIII Bundle in JP

I really hope it's $299 for the PlayStation name and brand sake even if without games .

and Uncharted isn't and Uncharted 2 wont be a system seller , maybe they should try Madden 2010 or Assassin's Creed 2 with PS3 for this holiday season.

and they should put Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 with PS3 slim in Europe .

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MassiveAttack said:

Not going to happen.

$350/35000yen PS3 Slim Unbundled

$350 PS3 Original + Uncharted 1 (Maybe Heavenly Sword)

dolemite said:
What are the chances of the Uncharted 2 bundle in the US? 0.0fucking0%
Why is that? Don't think they bundle M rated games, or something? Have you already forgotten about the Killzone 2 + MGS4 PS3 bundle?

PSGames

Is it just me or does it seem like a large percentage of people getting excited for the price drop/slim redesign already own the system?

MassiveAttack said:

If Sony's willing to drop all the way to $299 I don't see any reason to also throw away $60 apiece on bundling those games when the tons of new customers who will jump in at the lower price will (by and large) just go buy them anyway.

NeoUltima

xenorevlis said:
Why is that? Don't think they bundle M rated games, or something? Have you already forgotten about the Killzone 2 + MGS4 PS3 bundle?
Why bundle a brand new game that will sell well on its own when you can bundle old, but still great, stuff that doesn't sell anymore.

Chris R

Totobeni said:
and they should put Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 with PS3 slim in Europe .
I'm betting GT5+Slim for the equivalent of 349$ in euro/pounds would sell a shitload. Isn't Europe GTs biggest selling region?

PSGames said:
Is it just me or does it seem like a large percentage of people getting excited for the price drop/slim redesign already own the system?

No board represents what the market will do, but price cuts are always good as it means more sales, which means more awareness, which means more development support, which means more enjoyment for the users and more revenue for the game companies. Everybody wins in any case.

Whether Sony themselves make money with hardware sales or not is a different question, although they'll get more royalties with the increased game and peripheral sales anyway, and they also have to do their part by cutting the entry price from time to time.

spwolf

NeoUltima said:
Why bundle a brand new game that will sell well on its own when you can bundle old, but still great, stuff that doesn't sell anymore.

it will be bundled in japan and europe, but for higher price (like $350).

PSGames said:

Judging from Gaf and the Interweb, the majority are going to get a 2nd PS3 if a price drop happens. :lol Why the fuck would anyone buy more than one console for themselves. Maybe us poor are retarded or something, but it doesn't make sense. Now, if they dropped prices of software and accessories then I can understand people vacuuming the stores for multiple purchases, but a second console? That's like getting a brand new TV to sit next to your other TV

NeoUltima

spwolf said:
it will be bundled in japan and europe, but for higher price (like $350).
XIII yeah, they will probably even have a special ps3 to go with it. What I mean is their not going to have the normal priced ps3 bundled with new games.

They may have say a $300 nonbundled and a $350 bundle one though(in US, but I still doubt it).

Wollan

rhfb said:
Isn't Europe GTs biggest selling region?
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 2,160K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (North America) 760K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 650K

GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 6,280K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America) 2,970K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Japan) 1,260K

Chris R

Wollan said:
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 2,160K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (North America) 760K
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 650K

GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 6,280K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America) 2,970K
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Japan) 1,260K
Ok then ya, a 349 slim+gt5 would just be insane, even more so if they could get it out around Thanksgiving for the holiday season

Meus Renaissance said:
Judging from Gaf and the Interweb, the majority are going to get a 2nd PS3 if a price drop happens. :lol Why the fuck would anyone buy more than one console for themselves. Maybe us poor are retarded or something, but it doesn't make sense. Now, if they dropped prices of software and accessories then I can understand people vacuuming the stores for multiple purchases, but a second console? That's like getting a brand new TV to sit next to your other TV

They might have more than one home, or they might replace their current one. How about giving the old one to a relative or friend?

I'm a bit undecided myself, but if I actually bought a slim one there's a chance I would save money in the long run considering it could require half as much power than my current launch system, even though I haven't done the math to find out whether I would get my money back in, say, two to three years from now.

By the way, shouldn't they be making a PS3 slim + FFXIII bundle in Japan? That would sell so much.

Hcoregamer00

PSGames said:

I see nothing wrong with that since the original PS3 is a 15 pound behemoth that sounds like a rocket and accumulates internal dust like nobodies business.

agaru

Man, a PS3 slim/FFXIII JP bundle this holiday for a price lower than $399 would cause earth-shattering sales in Japan.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hcoregamer00 said:
I see nothing wrong with that since the original PS3 is a 15 pound behemoth that sounds like a rocket and accumulates internal dust like nobodies business.

That's an overstatement :p Well at least if you're talking about MY ps3... :p

I'm quite happy with mine, not really looking for a replacement any time soon. But, I'm excited about the slim because it should be very good for the platform, and what's good for the platform should be good for me as a PS3 owner.

Wollan said:
I wonder if they will do a Japanese bundle that contains both GT5 and FF13.

The whole point of lowering the price is to increase the audience for software etc. They don't want to bundle in everything you might want and leave you nothing to buy..

You'll see single game bundles at $/€50 over the regular non bundle price. And of course, whatever bundles retailers might choose to do on their own.

Hcoregamer00

gofreak said:
That's an overstatement :p Well at least if you're talking about MY ps3... :p

I'm quite happy with mine, not really looking for a replacement any time soon. But, I'm excited about the slim because it should be very good for the platform, and what's good for the platform should be good for me as a PS3 owner.

Even if it doesn't sound like a vacuum, if you have a 60 gig PS3 you have a 15 pound behemoth that does accumulate internal dust like crazy thanks to the large amount of vents.

Hcoregamer00

BlazingDarkness said:
huh?
A PS3/FFXIII bundle in Japan is pretty much a given

Yeah, but at the prices they were saying....HELL NO.

It will be a premium over the standalone console, and the standalone Slim release could be somewhere between $300 and $400.

Zhuk

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

I agree, at least 95% of people who are excited for the Slim on the internet already own a PS3 and are fanboys, the ones that will actually purchase another console is a far lower proportion of even those who state they will.

I think the excitement comes because the Sony fans see the Slim as the chance they have been waiting 3 long and hard years for, to correct the historical injustice of a Sony system playing 3rd chair to the Wii and 360, something which is unnatural in their eyes. Things won't be right in their eyes until the PS3 gains the public adoption and acclaim they think it should, along with justifying their beliefs in the virtues of the system as being superior to its competitors.

MGR said:

Sell the Fat, get the Slim. Not complicated.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Even if it doesn't sound like a vacuum, if you have a 60 gig PS3 you have a 15 pound behemoth that does accumulate internal dust like crazy thanks to the large amount of vents.
Whats the best way to go about cleaning it internally?

Zhuk said:
I agree, at least 95% of people who are excited for the Slim on the internet already own a PS3 and are fanboys, the ones that will actually purchase another console is a far lower proportion of even those who state they will.

I think the excitement comes because the Sony fans see the Slim as the chance they have been waiting 3 long and hard years for, to correct the historical injustice of a Sony system playing 3rd chair to the Wii and 360, something which is unnatural in their eyes. Things won't be right in their eyes until the PS3 gains the public adoption and acclaim they think it should, along with justifying their beliefs in the virtues of the system as being superior to its competitors.

Grow up buddy.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, but at the prices they were saying....HELL NO.

It will be a premium over the standalone console, and the standalone Slim release could be somewhere between $300 and $400.

ah right, the prices
i never give Sony the benefit of the doubt concerning that so i'd expect the price to be higher than the majority are expecting

As for the slim itself, i won't be buying it at launch, but probably in a year or two when they're really cheap, i'm happy with my fat PS3 right now.

Zhuk said:

Either that or they are shareholders of Sony

Fizzle

Zhuk said:

I iz sooooooooooooooooooo getting that Slim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom