• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

With Sakurai in charge, I'm not too shocked.

Even with Kirby Super Star, on paper, being nothing more than a collection of mini-games...it still ended up having more meat on its bones than a number of "full-fledged" games out there, both at that time frame, and even now.

Aghh....that extra week is going to be so torturous...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
TreIII said:
With Sakurai in charge, I'm not too shocked.

Even with Kirby Super Star, on paper, being nothing more than a collection of mini-games...it still ended up having more meat on its bones than a number of "full-fledged" games out there, both at that time frame, and even now.

Aghh....that extra week is going to be so torturous...

:mad:

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TreIII said:

The cool thing about Kirby Super Star (actually, one of many cool things, but bear with me) is that it manages to incorporate almost every philosphy of platform game design into a single title, under the guise of "mini-games". In Super Star, we got a traditional Kirby sidescroller (Spring Breeze), a racer (Gourmet Race), a Mario World-style game with secret exits and enemy encounters on the world map (Dyna Blade), a Metroidvania-style exploration and collecting-based game (Great Cave Offensive), a non-linear game where the levels could be selected in any order (Milky Way Wishes), and a hardcore, fast-paced action game (Revenge of Meta Knight).

This isn't even counting the timing based minigames, the boss rush, the RPG battles, and the Parodius-like side-scrolling shooter near the end. Sakurai's versatility is mind-boggling, and it's this talent that makes Brawl the magic that it is.

I keep saying this, but Kirby Super Star is the genesis of Super Smash Bros. Many of Smash's ideas have their roots in Super Star.

KINGMOKU

I honestly cannot believe just how much stuff is crammed into this game. The level editor looks robust as hell, and that means you could play this game forever basicaly.

This may be Nintendo's greates game ever made, and it may just be thier best selling game of all time when its all said and done. I am calling 20+million sold on this one.

It really is insane.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I'm curious though. If the reason is for the servers, why not just ship the game and have the servers patched/fixed later?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, the list is getting smaller...

------

Updated list of Nintendo titles/series not present in Brawl (at the moment).
Update #7

Bold indicates a Melee presence.

1080° Snowboarding
Alleyway
Animal Leader / Cubivore
Arm Wrestling (arcade)
Battleclash
Card Hero
Custom Robo
Doshin the Giant
Duck Hunt
Electroplankton
Eternal Darkness (the ip belongs to Nintendo, I believe)
F-1 Race
Game & Watch
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
Hajimari no Mori
Happy Panechu!
HeliFire
Hogan's Alley
Hotel Dusk
Joy Mecha Fight
Kaeru no Tameni Kanha Naru (the guy that turns into a frog -- cameo in Link's Awakening)
Kururin
Magical Vacation
Marvellous
Nazo no Murasamejou
Picross
Polarium
Radar Mission
RadarScope
Sennen Kazoku
Sherriff
Shin Oni Ga Shima
Short Order & Eggsplode
Sky Skipper
Solar Striker
Space Fever
Space Firebird / Space Demon
Space Launcher
Star Tropics
Stunt Race FX
Sutte Hakkun
Tantei Club
Teleroboxer
Time Twist
To The Earth
Tomato Adventure
Trace Memory
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Wii Sports / Play
Yakuman (Mahjong)
Yuu Yuu Ki

All the generic sports titles

Stuff formerly/incorrectly on this list:

Band Brothers -- Barbara the Bat assist trophy (Japanese site footage)
Chibi Robo -- Chibo Robo trophy
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time -- Baby Peach trophy
Mole Mania -- reported Muddy Mole assist trophy
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents -- trophy (Japanese site footage)
Super Mario Strikers -- Mario in soccer outfit trophy (and/or soccer ball)

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
I keep saying this, but Kirby Super Star is the genesis of Super Smash Bros. Many of Smash's ideas have their roots in Super Star.

And you're not the only one who's said that. Me and Jigs were having a nice back and forth about that subject matter easily a month or so ago. :D

But, like he said, it's always good to find another who shares our belief that, all along, Smash Bros is nothing more than just a stylish evolution of the Super Star engine.

RedBoot

Iam Canadian said:

Actually, that makes me think of looking at various little things in Smash and seeing where they came from. I was playing the original Mario Bros at an arcade the other day and noticed that when you die, you come back on a little floating platform in the middle of the arena, just like in Smash. Also, I'm less sure about this one, but I wonder if the name "Smash attacks" came from Earthbound/Mother's critical hits.

Just idle speculation. There's plenty of others (All Star Mode is obviously based on KSS's Arena).

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
And you're not the only one who's said that. Me and Jigs were having a nice back and forth about that subject matter easily a month or so ago. :D

But, like he said, it's always good to find another who shares our belief that, all along, Smash Bros is nothing more than just a stylish evolution of the Super Star engine.

I remember discussing it with Jiggy myself around the time that the Super Star remake was revealed. I've always seen the obvious resemblences, though.

It's actually kind of disheartening to see so many people unfamiliar with Sakurai's magnum opus.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
I remember discussing it with Jiggy myself around the time that the Super Star remake was revealed. I've always seen the obvious resemblences, though.

It's actually kind of disheartening to see so many people unfamiliar with Sakurai's magnum opus.

A truly fine work of art? I will grant you that.

But...I dunno...I think "Cherry-don" really outdid himself this time, with SumaBura X. It's basically stands to be the "Kirby Super Star" of this particular millennium. :D

Iam Canadian

A Link to the Snitch said:
Star Tropics - Zoda trophy

Playing though Star Tropics, it made me think of how cool it would be to see Zoda as a Subspace boss. However, because Star Tropics has never seen the Land of the Rising Sun, I don't think we'll get anything from the series.

I also was amused by the fact that while Star Tropics was developed for the North American audience, the text reads like a subpar NES translation from Japanese sprinkled with "cola" puns. I mean, the game barely even uses punctuation. Remarkable.

Edit:

TreIII said:
But...I dunno...I think "Cherry-don" really outdid himself this time, with SumaBura X. It's basically stands to be the "Kirby Super Star" of this particular millennium.

Perhaps I didn't phrase that ideally. I should have added that Super Star will only be Sakurai's magnum opus until Brawl is released.

Penguin said:
What happens to this thread after the Japanese launch?
Does it die or does it continue as long as Dojo updates?

what im guessing is that there will be another official thread for the game, but this would remain because it is about the dojo and not Smash as a whole.

if there are still dojo updates, this thread is needed.

Penguin

Linkzg said:
what im guessing is that there will be another official thread for the game, but this would remain because it is about the dojo and not Smash as a whole.

if there are still dojo updates, this thread is needed.

I would also assume as the largest thread in GAF history that it may also gain a spot in the archives?

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
Playing though Star Tropics, it made me think of how cool it would be to see Zoda as a Subspace boss. However, because Star Tropics has never seen the Land of the Rising Sun, I don't think we'll get anything from the series.

I also was amused by the fact that while Star Tropics was developed for the North American audience, the text reads like a subpar NES translation from Japanese sprinkled with "cola" puns. I mean, the game barely even uses punctuation. Remarkable.

Well, all things StarTropics aside...I think it's safer to assume that this particular Zoda is based off of his F-Zero version (who I hoped made it into the game in some other form beyond just a collectible figure). But I digress.

Perhaps I didn't phrase that ideally. I should have added that Super Star will only be Sakurai's magnum opus until Brawl is released.

Ah, I see.

Iam Canadian

Unfortunately, once we know everything about the game via our friendly importers (TreIII) and J-GAFer moderators (sp0rsky), this thread is likely to die a slow death due to the lack of relevant new information. However, I'll keep posting in this thread as long as it lasts. I don't want to see it die.

It might survive past the Japanese launch if Sakurai really steps up the Photoshoppable screenshots, though.

Jiggy

Sign me up for the Kirby Super Star Defense Force, if I'm not already on it. Or the "Kirby Super Star As Progenitor of Smash Bros. Defense Force," but that sounds a bit unwieldy somehow.

sheik.jpg

Use Zelda’s down special move to transform into Sheik! Once you do so, you’ll have access to a new character completely unique from Zelda.

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.

sheik_080116a-l.jpg

sheik_080116b-l.jpg

sheik_080116c-l.jpg

sheik_080116d-l.jpg

Sheik's Special Moves
Standard Special Move Needle Storm
Side Special Move Chain
Up Special Move Vanish
Down Special Move Transform
Final Smash Light Arrow

Iam Canadian said:
The cool thing about Kirby Super Star (actually, one of many cool things, but bear with me) is that it manages to incorporate almost every philosphy of platform game design into a single title, under the guise of "mini-games". In Super Star, we got a traditional Kirby sidescroller (Spring Breeze), a racer (Gourmet Race), a Mario World-style game with secret exits and enemy encounters on the world map (Dyna Blade), a Metroidvania-style exploration and collecting-based game (Great Cave Offensive), a non-linear game where the levels could be selected in any order (Milky Way Wishes), and a hardcore, fast-paced action game (Revenge of Meta Knight).

This isn't even counting the timing based minigames, the boss rush, the RPG battles, and the Parodius-like side-scrolling shooter near the end. Sakurai's versatility is mind-boggling, and it's this talen that makes Brawl the magic that it is.

SPOT ON.
Great post.

:D

Iam Canadian

I like the new Sheik model, though it doesn't look as different as I'd expected. It looks to be a more detailed version of the original Ocarina design, whereas I had anticipated a more drastic redesign to fit the Twilight Princess motif.

And so, months of speculation come to an end.

See, guys, I told you Sheik wouldn't be Zelda's Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom