• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously think this game will have more content than any game. EVER.

If there was one game to justify a console purchase singlehandedly, this game just might be it.

TreIII

Gallagher said:
And in the end, he will be a developer for sony... ;D

You kiddin? If even hasn't done so already, I'm willing to bet that Iwata is already making moves to try and secure Sakurai under the Nintendo banner once more. Whether it be buying Sora and making it a second party, or just welcoming Sakurai back into the fold in some other way...

Nope, uh uh. Iwata would have to be on some serious bird seed, to allow his old accomplice to escape from their brand label totally.

Jiggy

MisterHero said:
*rolls his fucking eyes*
But it's true. :p

Teasel said:
so guys do you think there is gonna be a demo of smash bros 64 in the game?
I would honestly not be surprised. If only to show off the difference in gameplay between the two.

Blablurn said:
I cant believe that Sakurai is THAT awesome.

I want to see his next own project. Awesome awesome. He is the next big thing.
He's the current big thing. Greater than Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Kojima combined.

Chris Michael said:
If there was one game to justify a console purchase singlehandedly, this game just might be it.
Yeah, I know I'd certainly buy it if it was the only game Wii had.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Weird update. It won't exactly work quite as well unless obscure games are also available. Melee had trophies which left myself and friends deadly curious about games such as Fire Emblem, Detective Story, etc... that never made it out of Japan. It's nice to give a taste of the history, but if its regional then a bit pointless.

And the time limit is lame. Build specific challenges around a slice of dedicated game/level, but don't just tease.

So, why would gametrailers use a fake screenshot for the "roster" screen in their latest SSBB video? I mean... it's getting people confused. It is fake, right?

Scribble

What bosses do you want to fight in Subspace Emissary?

Koopalings, Metal Mario
Rawk Hawk, Kaptain K.Rool, Cranky Kong
Captain Syrup and Genie, Dr.Crygor
Marx, Dynablade
Mewtwo, Team Rocket (Similar behaviour to Pokemon Trainer)
Andross (Would begin with the AT model, then break into his monkey form)
Ridley (Not Meta-Ridley)
Dr.Robotnik in his Sonic 2 final mech
Tingle
Pokey
Doshin the Giant (Red)
Mr.Resetti

webrunner

Because the person who made that video didn't think. It is fake- it was proven fake the moment it got revealed (and I'm pretty sure the person who made it came forward, don't remember)

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
The VC service doesn't have demos because then you will try the game, remember it does not hold up as well as you remember it, and then not buy it.
Every classic I've bought holds up as well as I remember it. :( If they didn't, I wouldn't dare to take such chances as I have, where 61.7% of the games I've downloaded (29 out of 47) I'd never played before.

Fireblend

Banned
DeceitDecide said:
So, why would gametrailers use a fake screenshot for the "roster" screen in their latest SSBB video? I mean... it's getting people confused. It is fake, right?
Yes it is, goes without saying.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think Sakurai is my favourite game designer. I mean, yes, there is Itoi, but I just like him for Mother. Sakurai is just a genius across the board.

In all honesty, this feature actually reminds me of Sonic Gems Collection for the Gamecube. That game had timed demos of a few classic Sonic games that placed you at the final boss. This appears to be a similar idea.

And if it's anything like Sonic Gems, people will find a way to crack the time limit within a week.

Gallagher said:
And in the end, he will be a developer for sony... ;D

A Sakurai game for PS3, combined with Ratchet and Clank and Little Big Planet, would probably compel me to actually buy a PS3 at full price.

SexConker

Banned
coreycubed said:
So raise your hand if you have the original NES release of Ice Climber...!

*raises hand*

It still works too. I'm probably the only gamer in this thread that has it.

Wrong.

Ice Climber.
I has it.

usea

A Link to the Snitch said:
So, does this thread close when the game releases? Or will we be getting more updates in all likelihood?
Well normally people would just stop posting once there are no more dojo updates, and the thread would die. There will continue to be dojo updates after release, but only until everything has been revealed.

but since this thread and its regular posters are a special, it will probably get locked after the final dojo update because people wouldn't stop posting.

Neiteio

I have a feeling many people are going to buy Star Fox 64 after playing Brawl. Especially if Markman and Reno are right about the smorgasborg of playable Star Fox characters on the roster. The demo could also explain some of the rationale for choosing
Wolf
over
Krystal

Here's what I'm thinking for some of the other franchises:

- Donkey Kong: Either the arcade original, as hinted at by the Hirokazu Tanaka remix, or Donkey Kong Country since it features both DK and Diddy. Or maybe, in a perfect world, the arcade game for DK and DKC2 for Diddy. After all, "Bramble Blast" is a song in the game.

- F-Zero: There are only two games to choose from: F-Zero for the SNES and F-Zero X for the N64. I think we'll get a demo of X, since the X versions of Mute City and Big Blue piqued players' interest in Melee.

- Mother: This one's tricky. On the one hand, it's simple enough for NOA to add Earthbound to the VC between now and March 9. The reason it didn't appear in the English Dojo update is simply because it's not on our VC yet. On the OTHER hand, NOA might leave it out of Brawl because they think the VC version will sell better on word of mouth from the the game's cult following. If people sample a demo and are turned off by the game's simplistic-looking battles, that could cut into VC sales.

- Pokémon: Hmm... I'm not sure what they could do here. The first level of Pokémon Snap, maybe? Unlike the GB games, Snap is on the VC, so it's feasible. But really, a photo safari doesn't do the series justice, and I'm not sure Snap is a "masterpiece."

- Fire Emblem: It's a stretch, but a demo mission from Path of Radiance (GameCube) could work. If they can set aside space for one 3D game (Star Fox 64), they could probably do it for another. Localizing the Famicon original is out of the question, though, since a DS remake is on the horizon.

- Pikmin: I can see them including a level from the GameCube original. Once again, it's only a question of disk space. Some might think it feels "off" to have a demo for Super Mario Bros. side-by-side with a beautiful game like Pikmin, but really, I think it's understood that the games come from different eras.

- Sonic the Hedgehog: I think the first one would be best. Simply take all three stages of Green Hill Zone and slap them in a demo. Sonic the Hedgehog is a masterpiece worth promoting.

- Metal Gear: Same as Sonic. Go with the original Metal Gear for the NES. Of course, this is contingent on Nintendo putting it on the VC before March 9.

Iam Canadian

Neiteio said:
- Pokémon: Hmm... I'm not sure what they could do here. The first level of Pokémon Snap, maybe? Unlike the GB games, Snap is on the VC, so it's feasible. But really, a photo safari doesn't do the series justice, and I'm not sure Snap is a "masterpiece."

They could always do Pokemon Stadium. Just let the player get some random rental Pokemon and send them on their way.

Of course, the flaw with that is that Pokemon Stadium on the VC can't really be done due to hardware limitations. And unlike the lack of Rumble Pak or Controller Pak support, which was due to laziness, I can't think of any way they could implement the Transfer Pak on the VC.

- Sonic the Hedgehog: I think the first one would be best. Simply take all three stages of Green Hill Zone and slap them in a demo. Sonic the Hedgehog is a masterpiece worth promoting.

I could see them doing Sonic 2 just because Sonic's Spin-Dash originates there,.

Scribble

Well, they could take the Pokemon Masterpiece from Gold and Silver. Have you do the 'Team Rocket' arc with Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Pikachu and Jigglypuff on your team =P

Neiteio said:
I have a feeling many people are going to buy Star Fox 64 after playing Brawl. Especially if Markman and Reno are right about the smorgasborg of playable Star Fox characters on the roster. The demo could also explain some of the rationale for choosing
Wolf
over
Krystal

- Donkey Kong: Either the arcade original, as hinted at by the Hirokazu Tanaka remix, or Donkey Kong Country since it features both DK and Diddy. Or maybe, in a perfect world, the arcade game for DK and DKC2 for Diddy. After all, "Bramble Blast" is a song in the game.
I really wish Nintendo would release the arcade version of Donkey Kong somewhere. It would be cool if it was included in Brawl, but hopefully it comes out on WiiWare.

Jiggy

Neiteio said:
I have a feeling many people are going to buy Star Fox 64 after playing Brawl.
I can only hope so. People need to realize the series didn't always suck, and was actually--gasp--great. :eek:

- Fire Emblem: It's a stretch, but a demo mission from Path of Radiance (GameCube) could work. If they can set aside space for one 3D game (Star Fox 64), they could probably do it for another. Localizing the Famicon original is out of the question, though, since a DS remake is on the horizon.
Maybe they could just localize the parts of it that are put up as a trial, since they'd eventually have to localize that much anyway for the DS game. Or maybe I'm just being very hopeful.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sakurai, even if he doesn't work for Nintendo, only really works on Nintendo systems.

Q and Bandai definitely wanted to make a PSP version of Meteos.
However it got shot down, I'm glad it got shot down. That would either be a terrible version or they'd have to slow it down so much to compensate for d-pad controls that it'd be beyond recognition.

Neiteio

Iam Canadian said:
I could see them doing Sonic 2 just because Sonic's Spin-Dash originates there.
Or maybe Sonic 3 because of the Angel Island Zone remix (I think it's from that game). The original Sonic is most likely, though, since it parallels the inclusion of Super Mario Bros.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I can only hope so. People need to realize the series didn't always suck, and was actually--gasp--great. :eek:

Maybe if enough people experience the gameplay that defined Star Fox to begin with - vehicle-based rail shooting - Nintendo will finally get the hint and go back to that formula, rather than developing Zelda knockoffs / third-person shooters / bizarre turn-based strategy and arena flight combat hybrids.

Wait, no they won't. That would make too much sense.

It makes a long-time Star Fox fan sad that the best Star Fox gameplay since Star Fox 64 was in those WarioWare microgames.

Scribble

Iam Canadian said:
Maybe if enough people experience the gameplay that defined Star Fox to begin with - vehicle-based rail shooting - Nintendo will finally get the hint and go back to that formula, rather than developing Zelda knockoffs / third-person shooters / bizarre turn-based strategy and arena flight combat hybrids.

It makes a long-time Star Fox fan sad that the best Star Fox gameplay since Star Fox 64 was in those WarioWare microgames.

I think it's just been 'bad luck/weird circumstances' as to why we haven't had a brilliant, on rails game since Star Fox 64. I have no doubt that the next console Star Fox will return the series to greatness.

Jiggy

There may not necessarily be a reason to assume only one playable game per franchise...
Also, I've just been reminded of something. I jokingly called Kirby Super Star as an unlockable. I think it's the case that I can say Sakurai surpassed my expectations. :p I'd rather have that game from a selfish perspective, but in the broader sense I really, really want to see more worldwide exposure for Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, Earthbound, and others.

Iam Canadian said:

Pretty much. :(

Iam Canadian

Scribble said:
I think it's just been 'bad luck/weird circumstances' as to why we haven't had a brilliant, on rails game since Star Fox 64. I have no doubt that the next console Star Fox will return the series to greatness.

You're far more optimistic than I, Scribble.

Jiggy37 said:
Also, I've just been reminded of something. I jokingly called Kirby Super Star as an unlockable. I think it's the case that I can say Sakurai surpassed my expectations. :p I'd rather have that game from a selfish perspective, but in the broader sense I really, really want to see more worldwide exposure for Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, Earthbound, and others.

I'll admit that Kirby's Adventure's inclusion makes sense. It was the defining early Kirby game that really established many of the aspects of Kirby: the copy ability, Meta Knight, King Dedede as a greedy person but not necessarily a malevolent one, and the use of dark sinister surprise final bosses (thus beginning the long chain of Dark Matter, O2, Dark Mind...)

But Kirby Super Star would also have made sense in that Kirby Super Star in many ways formed the basis for Smash. I've prattled on about this time and time again, but it's undeniable that Kirby Super Star was, in many ways, the prototypical Smash game.

And hey, it could boost sales of the DS remake.

Jiggy

Yeah, I for one am holding out hope on Kirby Super Star here. Even if it's never put up on VC until like 2010, I want it to make some kind of showing in Brawl. If it was up to me, I'd just put players right in Dyna Blade (don't want them getting the wrong impression from Green Greens) and start them off in one of the two secret rooms that had loads of powers freely available and endless supplies of enemies to go hog-wild on. :D I know I could mess around almost infinitely in those things, figuring out new ways to use all of Kirby's moves.

Edit: Or, wait, a Milky Way Wishes file with all powers available. Maybe that's the way to go.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Neiteio said:
Wolf
over
Krystal

- F-Zero: There are only two games to choose from: F-Zero for the SNES and F-Zero X for the N64. I think we'll get a demo of X, since the X versions of Mute City and Big Blue piqued players' interest in Melee.

- Mother: This one's tricky. On the one hand, it's simple enough for NOA to add Earthbound to the VC between now and March 9. The reason it didn't appear in the English Dojo update is simply because it's not on our VC yet. On the OTHER hand, NOA might leave it out of Brawl because they think the VC version will sell better on word of mouth from the the game's cult following. If people sample a demo and are turned off by the game's simplistic-looking battles, that could cut into VC sales.

- Pikmin: I can see them including a level from the GameCube original. Once again, it's only a question of disk space. Some might think it feels "off" to have a demo for Super Mario Bros. side-by-side with a beautiful game like Pikmin, but really, I think it's understood that the games come from different eras.

- Metal Gear: Same as Sonic. Go with the original Metal Gear for the NES. Of course, this is contingent on Nintendo putting it on the VC before March 9.

Earthbound and Fire Emblem I were on the Japanese site. Which probably means we won't be getting those 2. In fact, I'm betting that the only games to show up will be ones already on the virtual console :(

Can anyone remember a time when a community of gamers was as in awe of an upcoming release as we are of Brawl?

Seriously, this is unprecedented.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I for one am holding out hope on Kirby Super Star here. Even if it's never put up on VC until like 2010, I want it to make some kind of showing in Brawl. If it was up to me, I'd just put players right in Dyna Blade (don't want them getting the wrong impression from Green Greens) and start them off in one of the two secret rooms that had loads of powers freely available and endless supplies of enemies to go hog-wild on. :D I know I could mess around almost infinitely in those things, figuring out new ways to use all of Kirby's moves.

Edit: Or, wait, a Milky Way Wishes file with all powers available. Maybe that's the way to go.

Myself, I'd place players in Revenge of Meta Knight, in the segment where Kirby returns to the Halberd after the mountain stage. This would show off the Halberd's origins (which will be central to the Subspace plot), the Combo Cannon (which isn't far from that point), and, if players are fast enough, the Heavy Lobster (and I'm confident that it will make an appearance in the SSE).

However, Revenge of Meta Knight makes Meta Knight out to look more evil than he really is, and that might confuse people.

Iam Canadian said:
They could always do Pokemon Stadium. Just let the player get some random rental Pokemon and send them on their way.

Of course, the flaw with that is that Pokemon Stadium on the VC can't really be done due to hardware limitations. And unlike the lack of Rumble Pak or Controller Pak support, which was due to laziness, I can't think of any way they could implement the Transfer Pak on the VC.

...DS-to-Wii support?

Scribble

Gekkonidae said:
Can anyone remember a time when a community of gamers was as in awe of an upcoming release as we are of Brawl?

Seriously, this is unprecedented.

You know that someone's going to come along and say 'yes', but I honestly can't remember a time when there's been THIS much anticipation and hype. It's been crazy.

Iam Canadian

A Link to the Snitch said:
...DS-to-Wii support?

As far as I can tell, Pokemon Stadium was only compatible with Red/Blue/Yellow (and the sequel used Gold/Silver/Crystal). The DS doesn't support original GB games, and it's not like you can exactly transfer a Dialga to Pokemon Stadium 1 and expect it to work.

And if you add Diamond/Pearl support, you basically have Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Dani said:
ssbbrosterhigh.jpg

Is this fake? Was found on a trailer on GameTrailers.

Blatantly fake. Uses hand-drawn promotional art.

Iam Canadian said:
As far as I can tell, Pokemon Stadium was only compatible with Red/Blue/Yellow (and the sequel used Gold/Silver/Crystal). The DS doesn't support original GB games, and it's not like you can exactly transfer a Dialga to Pokemon Stadium 1 and expect it to work.

And if you add Diamond/Pearl support, you basically have Pokemon Battle Revolution.

What about Virtual Handheld?

Scribble said:
What would you choose for Wario's masterpiece?

Wario Land II.

Make note that he never said that there was only console games. I think we'll see a demo of at least one game for each character.

...If ROB's in, does that mean we're getting Gyromite?

Iam Canadian said:
Was that ever actually confirmed to be real?

IT HAS TO BE

I wanna play Link's Awakening.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, GameTrailers have only made things worse, now that fake (which was confirmed so weeks if not months ago) is going to be in every blog and therefor everyone's gonna think it's real. Kotaku has already reported it as if it was real, talk about sloppy journalism...

Oh and this isn't the place to discuss leaks/spoilers. If anything, you're gonna get banned for posting stuff like that.

webrunner

Fireblend said:
Damn, GameTrailers have only made things worse, now this fake (which was confirmed so weeks if not months ago) is going to be in every blog and therefor everyone's gonna think it's real. Kotaku has already reported it as if it was real, talk about sloppy journalism...

I lost pretty much any respect I had for both GameTrailers and Kotaku passing themselves off as journalists due to this.

IMO this is worse than the reason ******* is banned on these forums..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom