• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo130

Kureishima said:
That's like saying they need to confirm Pokeballs, trophies, a single player mode, stock match option, or anything else that we know is going to be there..

They already confirmed Pokéball. I would be very surprised if that's NOT how they have planned to do it.

It's not much, but this move:
bowser_070703b-l.jpg

Looks different than how his old smashA used to look.

I wonder if he'll have that goofy voice from Sunshine in this, or will he stick with his N64 Jurrassic Park roar?

I wonder how he will be different? Perhaps he'll be quicker this time around - if Bowser was quicker in Melee, he'd be one of my first choice i reckon.

Sweet, glad to hear Bowser's back, even though he was still in the "most likely will return" list, after last night's update I wasn't sure who was going to return any more.

As for Sakurai's comment, without trying to read to much into it, I'd say that alot of the characters will probably feel different in terms of weight and fluidity of attacks, similar to the transitions alot of them underwent from 64 to melee.

But still, Bowser looks freakin' sweet!

VegaShinra

Bowser looks awesome. The fire effects are excellent and looks a lot better than Melee ever did. I hope Bowser is faster this time. Please be faster.

I wonder what a new Giga Bowser will look like.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Big Icarus said:
Didn't his forwardB grab enemies? And there's not those clearly defined claw marks in the air and the posture is completely different.

Close up it grabbed enemies, further away it hit them. There are claw marks for >B in Melee. The posture looks like his tilt forward A (I think...).

Zeed

Banned
bowser_070703b-l.jpg

Can anyone identify the flag in the background of this picture? It's almost certainly from Fire Emblem, but it would be nice to have confirmation. What's more, if you can identify the flag, you can identify the game it came from, giving us an idea of who may or may not be joining from the Fire Emblem series...

Hm...the dragon symbol has me thinking Fire Emblem 7...

Jiggy

Big Icarus said:
Didn't his forwardB grab enemies? And there's not those clearly defined claw marks in the air and the posture is completely different.
It grabbed if you were close enough. If you were at the distance Fox is in that picture, it just did normal slashing damage. And the pose seems the same to me, but flipped... That looks like the pose when he was facing left instead of right.

superbank said:
The posture looks like his tilt forward A.
His tilt forward A was a backhand punch... He wasn't leaning forward like that.

VegaShinra

Zeed said:
bowser_070703b-l.jpg

Can anyone identify the flag in the background of this picture? It's almost certainly from Fire Emblem, but it would be nice to have confirmation. What's more, if you can identify the flag, you can identify the game it came from, giving us an idea of who may or may not be joining from the Fire Emblem series...

Hm...the dragon symbol has me thinking Fire Emblem 7...
Yea, its from Fire Emblem: PoR I think.

PkunkFury

I actually prefer the shape of the Melee Bowser. he looked a lot more muscley and menacing, especially in the legs and feet. This Bowser looks a bit more like an oaf, and he's a bit cudley. It's like they retextured the clunky Sunshine/Mario Party model(although the textures are nice). Bowser was always my favorite model in Melee, though, so I guess I'm being picky. God I hope they keep him from talking

I agree with everyones sentiment that he needs to be better in this game. Fortunately it seems Sakurai was thinking the same thing. Wasn't their an earlier quote where Sakurai said he wanted to improve how heavy characters are played?

Also,

If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.

sounds like Sheik is gone :p

RagnarokX

Zeed said:
Could we get some solid evidence? A screencap or something? If so that pretty much nails down a PoR character.
The flag isnt really new. It's been seen since the E3 trailer. It bears vague similarity to a flag from FE:poR but they arent exactly the same. FE makes sense, not very many Nintendo franchises are famous for having castles... especially ones being attacked by an army.

VegaShinra

Zeed said:
Could we get some solid evidence? A screencap or something? If so that pretty much nails down a PoR character.
I would say it's safe to assume Ike is replacing Marth.

Also is Halberd castle from PoR.

Zeed

Banned
RagnarokX said:
The flag isnt really new. It's been seen since the E3 trailer.
I've never seen a capture of it that was this clear before. I certainly can't recall making out the dragon.

It bears vague similarity to a flag from FE:poR but they arent exactly the same. FE makes sense, not very many Nintendo franchises are famous for having castles... especially ones being attacked by an army.
The symbol really has me thinking Black Fang, though that may be wishful thinking on my part (I can't recall ever seeing Black Fang's flag in the game). Admittedly I have not played PoR, so I have no idea what the similarity there is. I suppose it might be from Marth's game, though that would be a bit of a downer.

PkunkFury

superbank said:
Ridley non-playable confirmed. Bowser's as big as they come.

I imagine Ridely would be scaled down to the size he was in the Melee trailer. also, he might be lighter than Bowser/DK since he's an air character, so it's not necessarily comfirmed that he's out.

RagnarokX

Zeed said:
I've never seen a capture of it that was this clear before. I certainly can't recall making out the dragon.

The symbol really has me thinking Black Fang, though that may be wishful thinking on my part (I can't recall ever seeing Black Fang's flag in the game). Admittedly I have not played PoR, so I have no idea what the similarity there is. I suppose it might be from Marth's game, though that would be a bit of a downer.
symbol_daein.gif

Flag of Daein from PoR

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
YES! I am so happy that Bowser has been shown, and I'm really liking the model too. Sure the Melee version was probably more realistic in the sense that he had properly defined muscles in the arms and legs, but this one is definitely more "classic" with the big stompy nature about him. Plus that profile shot looks like a friggin' high poly 3D render.

I can go about my day in happiness now!

justchris

Firestorm said:
Doesn't stop exploding capsules/boxes or the fact that they randomly come down to give a random advantage to one player. Remember. Items were used in early tournaments and eventually taken out!

It didn't stop it in melee, but as Sakurai felt the need to give a separate update for crates & barrels, maybe you'll be able to turn that sort of thing off in Brawl.

And the randomness is part of what makes it fun. People don't play poker because the better player wins 100% of the time.

Jiggy37 said:
The moves could look the same and still play very differently, like Fox's laser in the transition from SSB to SSBM.

I agree, after all, Fox & Falco's moves look the same, but play differently because of the way they're built. They can do a similar thing with Bowser, tweak him to make him a more useful character. I still probably won't play him, I just can't handle the slow characters well.

RagnarokX

Zeed said:
That...really doesn't look anything like it. The only similarity is that it's black on red.

Please be Black Fang...

/prays to Sakurai
Well we havent seen what the flag looks like in GoD, a sequel to PoR. They might include characters from GoD like how they included Roy to promote the latest FE game at that time.

Zeed

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Well we havent seen what the flag looks like in GoD, a sequel to PoR. They might include characters from GoD like how they included Roy to promote the latest FE game at that time.
Oh, FE11 has an English name now? I need to keep up with these things.

While you may be right, and I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Sothe were added to Brawl, I really can't think of any FE faction that would use a dragon as its banner other than Black Fang. It makes sense - FE7 was the first Fire Emblem to be released in North America, for us it's like the series' origin. I really, really, really want to see Lyn in this game, so I'm just going to keep hoping until we find out what it is.

EDIT: On a hunch, I checked out the details of Marth's game. Apparently a dragon would fit there too.

Marth is prince of Altea and a direct descendant of Anri, the warrior who slew the dark dragon Medeus...Marth embarks on a quest to...confront Garnef and the resurrected Medeus
So yeah, I have a feeling that we're looking at Marth's stage there.

To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.

Just my opinion

But I think he purposely stated this for Bowser because he was really infamous for being 'bottom tier' to elitists and Sakurai seems to really want to balance this time. I'm assuming it translates to:

"DON'T ASSUME BOWSER IS GONNA SUCK THIS TIME GUYZ! K THX!"

Dr.Hadji said:
I hope this new Bowser is more Bowser and less Dinosaur.

If that means goofy voice acting and forced "Grrrr"s then no thank you. I love the Dinosauric Bowser of the N64 days.

dfyb

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Just my opinion

But I think he purposely stated this for Bowser because he was really infamous for being 'bottom tier' to elitists and Sakurai seems to really want to balance this time. I'm assuming it translates to:

"DON'T ASSUME BOWSER IS GONNA SUCK THIS TIME GUYZ! K THX!"
that's how i interpreted it.

Ramenman

I can't believe it took one page to figure this out. The second I saw it it was written all over it.

Maybe I'm not a good person.

4udynmt.jpg

Bowser the biggest character.....well, without his wing span Ridley´s body is rather small....oh dear god PLEASE, Sakurai, dont disappoint on this one. Ridley playable or not decides if this games has the chance to get 10/10, 40/40, 100% or 5/5

:-/

Scoop-Li

Bowser the biggest? What about Ganondorf? Isn't Ganondorf taller than Bowser? I know Bowser is "thicker" than Ganondorf, but not taller. Hope Ganondorf makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom